TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

There is a second amusement park at Coney Island called "Deno's" and the Wonder Wheel is at Deno's and will continues unless Deno's is also sold.

There are also other attractions owned by independent operators (The B&B Carousel was purchased by NYC last year and NYC is supposed to be building a new pavillion for it), the guy that ran The Zipper and a couple of other flats could not renew his lease. El Dorado bumper cars are also independent as is Dick Zigun's Sideshow by the Seashore Freak Show. I'm not sure which independent operators own the land versus lease it.

The parachute tower would probably not go anywhere since is was recently repainted and cleaned by NYC at great investment and sits on the boardwalk which is technically on NY State park land.

At lot of leases on small business operators are not being renewed in anticaption of the renewal.

I read about this in the paper ("Coney Island Future Uncertain") and it mentioned the same thing people here are tossing around: bait-and-switch. It talked about the business manoeuvre that took place to get rid of the Thunderbolt. Then I put down the paper and thought about the part in Annie Hall that shows the Thunderbolt and then I got depressed.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12042006/news/regionalnews/spongebob__pals_eyeing_move_to_coney_regionalnews_rich_calder.htm

Nickelodeon is interested in being apart of the re-development of Coney Island, maybe this won't be so bad if this is the kind of stuff they want to pull in. Nickelodeon attracts kids, kids like rides, parents like rides, so who knows.

• 5 months later...

Let them close! After the way the treated me, they can close! I'm greatful that the Cyclone is staying. Nothing else really matters. though there Breakdance is superb!

-Dainan "There was a topic on this" Rafferty

One of my friends from New York said that he heard that Disney had bought up all the land in that area. I said I hadn't heard about that, but would see if I could find any info about it. Has anyone else heard that or does this belong more in the crazy rumors thread?

-Julie

One of my friends from New York said that he heard that Disney had bought up all the land in that area. I said I hadn't heard about that, but would see if I could find any info about it. Has anyone else heard that or does this belong more in the crazy rumors thread?

-Julie

I think I remember reading that Disney wanted to build entertainment centers around the world(like DisneyQuest only better), and I think New York City was one of their first locations. I'm not saying Disney did buy it, I'm just saying that it is possible.

Here we go:(from Disney news topic)

Airtime-At least I'll be going to AL this summer-&Gravity

Back in 1998, YES Disney was looking at the area. But no they're not buying. The rumor keeps going even though it's not true.

-Dainan "The source of Coney Island and Astroland is right here!" Rafferty

• 2 months later...

The Cyclone isn't going anywhere. It's on it's lease for an other 9years and even so, it's a city landmark! And I worked at Astroland, and I'll tell you right now, it's not even closing. They will be around an other year!

-Dainan "Has operated the Cyclone" Rafferty

They are POP Mondays-Friday. On Tuesdays if you buy one POP, you get an other one for free, but only for August! The wristbands are weird. They do it in sessions! On Monday through Thursday they do Two Sessions. One from 12:00pm-4pm, the other from 4:00pm-10:00pm. They stop selling writstbands at 8pm. On Friday, they only do the first session. If you want a wristband that includes 4 rides on the Cyclone and 2 rides on the Bumper Cars, it's a higher price. As of right now, all the rides are fully operational. Though Top Spin 2 has been experiencing some problems this year. (By this time last year it was allready closed). Alot of the rides are up for sale (none of them have been bought yet), but some of them (Top Spin, Break Dance and a few others) have not been put on sale.

-Dainan "I hope this helped" Rafferty

• 2 months later...

This is in Daily News today. Link to story directly (at bottom of post) for some cool pictures.

City to air new vision for future of Coney Island

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY JOTHAM SEDERSTROM

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, November 8th 2007, 4:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print

Email

Suggest a Story

Las Vegas-style high-rises may serve as backdrop for Freefall riders at Deno's Wonder Wheel Amusement Park. Click on the image for a gallery of Coney Island shots from the past.

City officials Wednesday will unveil a highly anticipated plan to revive Coney Island, a multibillion-dollar vision that combines the area's honky-tonk charms with Las Vegas glitz.

Mayor Bloomberg will announce the sweeping rezoning and redevelopment plans at a Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce luncheon at Gargiulo's, the 100-year-old dining hall that has played host to Clint Eastwood, Muhammad Ali, Woody Allen and other celebs.

Zoning rules around the faded beachfront now limit construction to amusement rides. The changes could allow for the construction of luxury hotels, water parks, shopping and restaurants.

The stakes are high, with neighborhood preservationists fearing the amusement district could be overwhelmed by glitzy Disney World-style rides and high-rise hotels. But supporters say the struggling area is long overdue for a renaissance.

"It's exciting," said Dick Zigun, founder of Coney Island USA, a community organization. "This is what people have been waiting for, this will answer a lot of the questions New Yorkers are asking and I think the city has some really exciting things to share."

City Hall has had a contentious relationship with developer Joe Sitt, a major Coney Island property holder who has proposed an ambitious $1.5 billion plan that at one time included luxury condos, shops and housing.

In August, a high-ranking city official called Sitt's plan "dead in the water" because the developer wanted to build 350 residential time-shares at planned hotels and a push for $100 million in city subsidies.

Sitt has said he hopes to salvage aspects of his plan.

Hours after Bloomberg's presentation today, the Coney Island Development Corp., an entity created four years ago to resuscitate the area, will present ideas for the amusement district.

jsederstrom@nydailynews.com

Daily News Coney Island Story 11/8/2007

Some more details were announced at The NY Post.

City renderings show the new amusement park incorporating the landmark Cyclone roller coaster and Wonder Wheel with new indoor and outdoor attractions - including a new, looping roller coaster winding around the park and a new, iconic ride rivaling the size and shape of the 262-foot-high Parachute Jump.

I'm not that excited about the Vekoma/Arrow/Morgan-style looping coaster, but the huge Zamperla Swing Tower looks incredible. From the renderings, it looks taller than the parachute tower, which means it will be around 300 feet tall! I rode the 100 foot one at the Big E in Massachusetts and it was incredibly fun, and I can't imagine was one three times the size will be like.

photo04.jpg.565898fda78cbf7b12db94cfc9087478.jpg

This image details the area proposed for rezoning and what it will become.

photo03.jpg.9902b0ce19525df32a3f3a3d5326c695.jpg

In this artist's rendition, the site is shown at night from afar, giving the full scope of the project. The original parachute jump (far left) will be moved and a new one will be erected (center). The Aquarium will also be given a face-lift (far right).

photo02.jpg.6ae23024359054ccdfaf97050274c44a.jpg

A huge roller coaster will span the 4-acre site, dwarfing the classic, wooden Cyclone, which will remain standing on the east side of Astroland.

photo01.jpg.f0b44334d722035283b9083ed57d2f44.jpg

An artist's rendering of the new Coney Island proposed by Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who hopes to revitalize the area while keeping its historic character intact.