TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best park to visit in LA

Hi,

me and my wife will fly to long way from paderborn (germany) to la in the end of september. we wanna make a tour to san franscico, las vegas and the grand canyon - and of course we want to visit the best themeparks in california. could someone give us some advice which parks are best best to visit? and which time is the best - i've heard about to big traffic jams in la...

thanks

markus

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Give us a little more information...what kind of roller coasters do you like? Do you prefer looping or non-looping? Do you prefer a nice clean well run park or a park with a lot of roller coasters? Do you really have only one day to hit one park or can you hit one park in Vegas, one park in Northern California and one park in Southern California?

Elissa "let us know!" Alvey

Wow, that's a tough question to answer. None of them, IMO, really "Stand out." They all have their pluses and minuses. Give us a little info on what you are into, and it might help us answer better.

But here's my personal rundown of the parks:

- Disneyland/DCA - Hands down IMO the best 'overall' park. It's well run, it's clean, it's got good rides. California Screamin' is probably my 2nd favorite coaster in California. Tower of Terror and Indy Jones are both good rides too.

- SFMM - If you want to get a lot of coaster credits in, go here. IMO, none of the coasters here are 'outstanding.' They have some pretty good ones (Batman, Riddler's, Goliath, Superman) but nothing that is in my 'top 20' list.

- Knott's Berry Farm - Has IMO the best coaster in all of So Cal (XLR8R) and a really good shuttle loop (Montezoomas) but their other two major coasters (Silver Bullet and Ghostrider) are both kind of 'meh.' This park USED to be one of the best parks on the west coast and I would highly reccomended it. The current management has really ruined the place and I would only suggest to go here if you have an extra day, and after you've been to some of the other parks in CA.

- Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk - A really fun, great 'boardwalk' park. Lots of fun flat rides, a nice woodie, and good atmosphere. Not a ton of ocasters though, but still I reccomend this place.

- PGA - A few coasters, and other than Top Gun (which is probably my 3rd favorite coaster in California) there is not too much here to rave abotu. It's a nice park, though.

- SFMW - Again, not an outstanding park, but if you want coaster credits, they have like 8 of them. Roar is a pretty decent woodie. Nothing amazing, but it's not rough like Ghostrider or Psyclone is. I'd only reccomend this park if you are 'in the area'

- Legoland - Don't under estimate this park. It's a LOT of fun...but it's really for families.

- Bonfante Gardens - Similar to Legoland. A *really* nice park, but it's aimed towars families and kids.

I think that's really about it. I hope that helps. Give us more information about what you are looking to get out of your trip, how many parks you can hit, and maybe that will help narrow it down.

--Robb

Hi again an thanks for your tipps. Our primary goal is to see the great landscape of bryce-, zion- and grand cayon. And of course the big cities like LA, Frisco and Las Vegas.

We prefer hypercoasters every coaster which thrills us? We've heard that sfmm is the heaven for coasterfans. I think we won't visit disneyland because we were in eurodisney twice. We've planned 3 days for visiting themeparks. I've heard there is a Paramount park near Frisco? Is it worth to visit? And what about the coasters in Las Vegas?

greetz

markus

Oooo, I love Zion! We're going there in a few weeks. Make sure to do the "Narrows" trail!

The coasters in Vegas are all 'ok' not amazing, but not too awful (Well, aside from Manhattan Express!). They are also all a bit pricey. If you like Hyper Coasters make sure to ride Desperado. It's about 40 minutes outside Vegas, towards Los Angeles.

As for Paramount's Great America outside of San Francisco. It doesn't have too much to offer. No Hyper coaster. A very bad Wooden coaster, a few kiddie coasters, an arrow loopscrew, Vekoma Invertigo, a rough and small B&M Stand up, and a Very good B&M custom invert.

Six Flags Marine World is also very close to San Francisco so maybe check out the coasters there too to see if those are more up your alley!

Elissa "sorry, this area of the country doesn't have the best coaster selection " Alvey

Paramounts Great America is in Santa Clara, Ca or about 2 seconds from San Jose, wish is about 45 min south of San Francisco

If you like wooden coasters, and you happen to rent a car, the drive down highway 1 from San Francisco to Santa Cruz is breath taking, then you can stop by the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and ride the best woodie is California