TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Doing some analysis of the (always 100% accurate) animation. The support structure on the lift hill looks like mega to me, giga has larger but fewer columns. Still a B&M might be good fit for the park.

I’ve seen multiple people (actual people that live among us) claiming that the 220 foot thing is just confirmation of a “terrain giga” which (I guess) is going to dive 80 feet underground in a flood zone.

Just give up.

Wait Bill. Does that make it a 300 ft aquatrax made by B&M? Lol

One thing I glanced over while reading the initial announcement was the budget...$150 million?!

I mean even the most elaborate B&M Hyper coasters aren't costing $50 million. So they are putting well over $100 million into basically a new gift shop, restaurant, and entrance plaza buildings? I'm sure there's a lot of demolition and land leveling that must be done, but even Dollywood's new land is only costing them $37 mil, including all the rides. This is must be one impressive restaurant/gift shop haha.

(Disclaimer: This is not me complaining that they are spending a lot of money, I am excited to see this kind of investment from Hershey)

Perhaps the $150mil includes other changes down the line. Or maybe the demolition, excavation, utility reworking, construction, and other things I can't think of on the spot are more serious than one would think.

Perhaps the $150mil includes other changes down the line. Or maybe the demolition, excavation, utility reworking, construction, and other things I can't think of on the spot are more serious than one would think.
Utility and Infrastructure is what is going to cost a lot of Money. This is why Lagoon ran a new powerline loop around the park, so they can literally tap into it wherever they need to in the future.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's also possible they are including the price of land they acquired from the golf course, and the rerouting of Park Boulevard. But even if they are including those in the total $150 million, which I doubt because those things were done years ago, it's still a huge sum of cash for an entrance plaza. I guess some of it may be to improve infrastructure required to operate a theme park in a flood zone. Overall though I think this transformation is on a much bigger scale than I had originally envisioned.

I figured most of the cost was related to the infrastructure. Parks have built new entrances before (ex. Canobie or Cedar Point) but usually they're on the site of the old one. Hershey is completely moving the entrance to a new area which surely isn't cheap.

Moving on from my Triple Tower joke, here are my real thoughts on this:

I actually love Hersheypark's current entrance area. Clearly this won't have that same charm but at the same time it looks really cool and I'm sure the coaster will be a ton of fun. I understand why they're doing this because it's going to be way more efficient and profitable for them (and it's going to be open year round and directly adjacent to Chocolate World), but it's a shame that they're replacing such a charming entrance. I have faith that they'll make this one look really cool though.

That said, the pros outweigh the cons by a large margin. I love the bar and I think it's really smart of them to sell more unique craft cocktails. Options for drinking in the park are limited and since you can't walk around the park with a drink it's really important to provide people with nice places to sit and hang out if you want them to buy alcohol. A second story patio & bar with panoramic views sounds like an awesome place to have a few drinks, and providing cool cocktails (that are likely going to feature hints of chocolate) is a great way to turn beer sales into cocktail sales which gives them much higher profit margins and is a lot more unique and fun.

As for the coaster, every B&M hyper is awesome and I'm sure this will be too. They have mass appeal and everyone loves them. I do think it's pretty weird to have two hypercoasters right next to eachother right up front but they'll undoubtedly feel like drastically different experiences. I'll never complain about any park building a super fun, high capacity B&M hyper.

Fully agree with this. Its a shame theyre removing so much of the charm. I would have preferred they kept the existing entrance area and made the new entrance where the giant chocolate shop is. So, like, two entrances.

Also interesting that theyre going for "year round" options but thats not reflected anywhere in the park itself.

Maybe the next 5 new rides will all be indoor rides? That would allow them to copy what six flags great adventure has done with holiday in the park, where 1/3 of the park remains open longer because there are indoor options

RE: Cost

Maybe theyre spending a lot on flood management? Raising the grade of stuff is pricey

RE: Cost

Maybe theyre spending a lot on flood management? Raising the grade of stuff is pricey

That is likely part of it.

In terms of year round attractions...I guess it makes sense that their most recent coaster is indoors and their 2019 addition is improving their dark ride.

15th Coaster - Fastest, Tallest, Longest, Sweetest...

By 'sweetest' I sure hope they are blowing delicious chocolate smells all over the new coaster...or at least in the queue

We would have that extra sense that you see sometimes on indoor attractions...M&M show/attraction, Hershey Chocolate Tour, Soarin, Avatar Flight of Passage, other rides that escape my mind...or the amazing Polynesian Lobby smell.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a really good visit at the park tonight. From opening to closing I got 17 rides in.

Getting there at opening showed me why the new entrance is needed. The line to get in was to where the tram circle is near the ticket counter. It took 15 minutes to get in and this was a low crowd night. On a busy day at opening, I can't imagine how bad it gets. It also doesn't help there is no rope drop like at Great Adventure and the gates don't open until park opening time.

Lines were short except for the rides that were running 1 train. That included Great Bear, Storm Runner, Wildcat and each track of Lightning Racer. At one point the app was showing a 45 minute wait for Great Bear and Wildcat supposedly had a 5 minute wait but the line was far down the ramp and it was probably closer to a 30 minute wait.

Besides some kids rides closed, the sky ride, whip, Reese's Tower and Coal Cracker were all closed. I expected Coal Cracker to be closed on a Friday night but last year I went to Hersheypark in the Dark 2 different weeks on Sunday and it was closed then as well even though it was warm enough to run the ride. It will be interesting to see if it is open on Saturday since it's supposed to be around 60 degrees.

• 2 weeks later...

Hersheypark has sent us a ton of information on this year's Christmas in Hershey offerings, both old and new! Take a look at all that's in store for the holidays this year!

HP_14.Social_CCL.General_05.thumb.jpg.6d6f9f97a87c565fbbd7bc908bab95e0.jpg

Celebrate the holidays with a trip to Hershey, Pa., and enjoy Christmas In Hershey holiday events, with new additions and old favorites, including:

Hersheypark Christmas Candylane

Marking its 35th anniversary this year, Christmas Candylane holiday attraction will feature more than 45 rides (weather permitting), including six roller coasters: Sidewinder, Wildcat, sooperdooperLooper, Cocoa Cruiser, Wild Mouse and holiday-themed Laff Trakk. Four million sparkling lights will illuminate and excite as you make your way through Hersheypark amusement park, in addition to the dazzling NOEL light show choreographed with holiday music.

Iconic Christmas Candylane activities will also return as Santa and all nine of his reindeer make a special stop at Hersheypark Christmas Candylane. Santa is available during all operating hours and families can stop by the reindeer stables to get an up-close look at their favorite reindeer live, including Rudolph!

In addition to roaming carolers, an engaging holiday show is again offered in the heated Music Box Theater to delight families. “Up on the Rooftop" features favorite Christmas songs, wacky elves, prancing reindeer, and Santa himself. New this year is an indoor, heated photo opportunity with three of our Hershey Characters across from Santa in Kissing Tower Hill themed area. And s’mores, iconic hot chocolate and a new cookies decorating kit will be offered for visitors to indulge in a taste of the holidays.

Christmas Candylane begins Friday, November 16, and is open on select dates through Tuesday, January 1, 2019. Online tickets are less than $20 when guests purchase tickets online before November 20; tickets are valid through Jan. 1. Season Pass holders enjoy unlimited free visits, in addition to a Season Pass Plus option on sale now that includes Christmas Candylane and unlimited fun in 2019.

For operational hours and dates, visit http://www.Hersheypark.com.

The Official Resorts of Hersheypark

Stay overnight at The Official Resorts of Hersheypark for a sweet holiday getaway. The Hotel Hershey and Hershey Lodge properties offer “Breakfast with Santa,” “Hersheypark Christmas Candylane” and “Hersheypark Happy Christmas” packages during the holiday season. The Hotel Hershey also offers a “Lunch with Santa” package. All packages include deluxe accommodations, admission to Hersheypark Christmas Candylane, Hershey Sweet Lights, Hershey Gardens and The Hershey Story Museum, plus a dining experience.

Overnight guests of Hershey Lodge resort receive exclusive access to Hershey’s Water Works at Hershey Lodge, the indoor pool complex that includes two interactive indoor pools, Twizzlers twists slides, the Reese’s Water Walk attraction, water play structures, 24-hour arcade and the Cocoa Cabana dining location.

The Woodside Cottages at The Hotel Hershey make for a memorable holiday experience. The most premium accommodations at the Hotel, the Woodside Cottages feature larger bedrooms, world-class bathrooms and private outdoor entrances. Individual rooms or full cottages are available for reservations. Guests who reserve a full four- or six-bedroom cottage receive access to a multi-functional great room with cathedral ceilings, fireplace, microwave and wet bar.

Hersheypark Camping Resort campground is open year-round and features two-bedroom deluxe log cabins. These popular accommodations sleep up to seven guests and provide campers with amenities such as heat, bathroom with a shower, kitchenette, dining area and living room area with sofa and TV.

For details on all of these properties, visit http://www.Hersheypark.com/lodging.

Hershey Sweet Lights

Drive through two miles of lighted displays from the comfort of your car as part of the Hershey Sweet Lights attraction. Enjoy illuminated holiday lights through fields and wooded trails while listening to holiday music. Hershey Sweet Lights begins Friday, November 16, and is open daily through Tuesday, January 1, 2019. For operational hours and dates visit http://www.Hersheypark.com.

ZooAmerica North American Wildlife Park

ZooAmerica is open year round and included in Hersheypark admission when guests enter from Hersheypark (please note hours vary).

Wild Winter Treats – Watch as our animals get into the holiday spirit with a special winter treat.

December 8, 9, 15, 16, 27, 28, 29 and 30 at 10:30 am and 3 pm.

Wild Winter Adventures – During this program you’ll learn how animals survive in the cold winter months and get up-close with animal encounters and more.

Morning and afternoon sessions are available on December 8, 9, 15, 16, 27, 28, 29 and 30. Pre-registration is required.

Visit http://www.ZooAmerica.com for additional details.

Entertainment

Amazing shows will be featured in Hershey, Pa. during November and December:

• Captain Scott Kelly: The Sky is Not the Limit - November 10 at Hershey Theatre
  • Marvel Universe Live! Age of Heroes - November 23 - November 25 at Giant Center arena
  • Mannheim Steamroller Christmas – November 30 at Hershey Theatre
  • Jason Mraz – December 2 at Hershey Theatre
  • A Charlie Brown Christmas – December 5 and 6 at Hershey Theatre
  • Hershey Symphony presents Holiday Spectacular – December 8 at Hershey Theatre
  • Straight No Chaser - December 9 at Hershey Theatre
  • A Clint Black Christmas - December 14 at Hershey Theatre
  • Chris Tomlin Christmas - December 15 at Hershey Theatre
  • Jewel’s Handmade Holiday Tour - December 16 at Hershey Theatre
  • Trans-Siberian Orchestra Presents The Ghosts of Christmas Eve - December 16 at Giant Center arena
  • CYPB’s “The Nutcracker” - December 22 and 23 at Hershey Theatre

Visit http://www.HersheyEntertainment.com for tickets and more information.

Hershey’s Chocolate World Attraction

Breakfast with Santa

Start the day in a merry way by joining Santa and Mrs. Claus for a warm breakfast buffet, a portrait with Santa, children's gift from Santa, a cookie decorating station, holiday craft, visits from the Hershey Characters, and (back by popular demand) our 4D Chocolate Mystery Show. Dates: Nov. 17-18, 23-25, Dec. 1-2, 8-9, 15-16, 22-23; 7:30-9 a.m.

Hershey’s Holiday Chocolate House

The annual Hershey's Holiday Chocolate House decorated entirely with Hershey's chocolate and confections. The Hershey's Holiday Chocolate House supports Children's Miracle Network. Nov. 16 – Jan. 1

Hershey Sweet Lights Trolley

Journey through Hershey Sweet Lights on the Sweet Lights Trolley! Our Trolley conductors have carols, chocolate, and creative commentary to entertain guests of all ages.

Holly Jolly Trolley

Take a cozy trip on an old-fashioned trolley which is guaranteed to get you in the Christmas spirit with caroling, stories, and even a special visit from a certain jolly, old elf; Dec. 22-31, Select Times

Visit http://www.Hersheys.com/ChocolateWorld for more information.

For more details on Christmas in Hershey, please visit hersheypa.com.

HH_13.Exterior.Winter.2.thumb.jpg.374edfce9e138e41db70ea377693bcd7.jpg

HH_14.Firepit.Family.thumb.jpg.2764702cb820d9d2ee93de4e342a2b30.jpg

2015034813_HH_14.Lobby.Family.Holidays2.thumb.jpg.fc8468c37681f4751d7972e87a4374b4.jpg

HL_14.Exterior.Winter.2.thumb.jpg.a6213dee8d05efd5e21e9b9615667d37.jpg

HP_14.Social_CCL.General_02.thumb.jpg.72af45b0c2c47859865a88186e2c9410.jpg

HP_14.Social_CCL.General_07.thumb.jpg.98e1c1c8f3dc5941569bfcc75aacc5fb.jpg

HP_14.Social_CCL.General_13.thumb.jpg.9aaf271bdf82d58b9207b077a274029a.jpg

sooperdooperLoop.thumb.jpg.d7f75c66e8e0b23cd375e0681d9586ad.jpg

CH_Park.Candylane.Dinosaur_Boys.thumb.jpg.78b0a7e64cb1328c4348a84fd820c147.jpg

HP_14.Social_CCL.General_13.thumb.jpg.e29a0596555d8b7076232946c11ca1ef.jpg

HP_16.Social_CCL_Laff.Trakk.Interior_01.thumb.jpg.e6dc3e1351ca433a1cfd5cc1016178ca.jpg

568899740_CH_10.SweetLights.04(1).thumb.jpg.b3ff7520305cce51355b496e6170925b.jpg

964446689_CH_10.SweetLights.05(1).thumb.jpg.7eee61beb671c0b1f60c8b6b7b074397.jpg

604894889_CH_13_Park.Candylane.Character-1(1).thumb.jpg.f8b5d4c1569e9d1e3d02d7dc727d300a.jpg

608190684_CH_13_Park.Candylane.NOEL-2(1).thumb.jpg.defdf3bf56ac33a6e3735d1b32f028c6.jpg

1796515765_CH_13_Park.Candylane.Skating(1).thumb.jpg.dd5659022bd4f59a83abee3d92e4fb50.jpg

CH_13_Park.Candylane.WaveSwinger.thumb.jpg.3e032eef7197cbd6209df8eb9d0392ea.jpg

1159013657_CH_Park.Candylane.AntiqueCar.GrandParentsKids(1).thumb.jpg.61b5d6830b62e27d004cd21488539c77.jpg

1702545614_CH_Park.Candylane.Train.Lights(1).thumb.jpg.80ff0deea64be047a1429ecf7b085e7e.jpg

878201114_CH_08_Park.Carrousel.01(1).thumb.jpg.208c4c185379e0a349676cce418a6fa3.jpg

1204592878_CH_08_Park.Reindeer(1).thumb.jpg.42545fdab6f88dc20f177f47a06d80db.jpg

720372274_CH_09_Park.Santa-2(1).thumb.jpg.1b57097b85ba0ae897fd5da5da5c06a0.jpg

861384800_CH_10_Park.Candylane.Comet(1).thumb.jpg.586b482a09ed1447cb6e9e8f9c55bd9b.jpg

575493089_CH_10_Park.Candylane.Reindeer.02(1).thumb.jpg.d3dbb0b020329340a4ca7191a1a10633.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

• 2 weeks later...

It's 45 degrees in Hershey and all the outdoor coasters are listed as closed in the app. I hope the minimum temperature to run the coasters wasn't raised for this year. Last year it was around 38 degrees before the coasters stopped running.