TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Is there anyway twister may be taken down, to get refurbished, and come back where it actually flips over....

The first year it reopened it flipped once. Now it flips 4.5 times and those who ride it seem to enjoy it just fine. I’m failing to see an issue here.

Just because the Twister doesn’t flip you over 50 times and drench you in water from old fountains while blasting heavy metal music with strobe lights pointed directly at you does not mean it’s a bad ride. The people who venture over there to get on it seem to love it, that’s what matters.

However, if it’s removed, not many people will care because of its currently poor location, and fact that it’s usually one of the first rides to close for staffing issues.

I would personally miss it but at the end of the day the park is going to do what it / six flags want.

If its flipping better now, that's awesome. It was only open 1 time for me this year, and I have gone to the park about 10-15 times, and it didn't flip over the time. They need to just put the new ride, next to Twister to increase riding.

Is there anyway twister may be taken down, to get refurbished, and come back where it actually flips over....

No. Six Flags has been going through the chain removing all of their top spins one by one. They're most likely removing them to cannibalize them for parts for the others (mainly Great Adventure's "Twister") until the free replacement parts are all gone in which case they'll probably get rid of that one too.

Over the last few years the chain has closed King Chaos at Great America, Voodoo at Discovery Kingdom and Twister at Six Flags New England (seemingly as soon as Great Adventure's ride started experiencing long term downtime breakdown where it likely needed a part that the chain wasn't willing to pay for). Der Twister at Fiesta Texas is leaving at the end of this season. If Twister does stay it won't be there for long. This chain clearly has no interest in paying to operate Huss Top Spins. My guess is that Darien Lake's ride will only last until Great Adventure needs parts (and that's the best case scenario). They'll likely remove it sooner since it's expensive to operate and located way off on it's own anyway.

Even though Ride of Steel was first, naming it Bizarro would be kind of cool because it mirrors the other Superman Ride of Steel.

That would be super cool for the 3 people on the planet that are nerdy enough to know that / care.

Sadly I happen to be nerdy enough to know haha

Seriously though I don't really care one way or another what they do with the name.

I’m all for the park not being overloaded with DC/Looney Tunes themeing, but RoS is BEGGING for the Superman branding to return. Having S:RoS as the only branding would be perfect. Everybody still calls it Superman still anyways.

I get the feeling that, if/when the park rethemes it to Superman, the general reaction will be, "Wait... since when has it NOT been Superman?"

I have a feeling this is going to be the case, because everyone still calls it Superman. But this is an interesting point. I think this will be the case with the other themeing as well if they use the same franchises they did back when it was previously six flags, people will just say oh that isn't new... Its possible for someone who hasn't visited since the last six flags ownership to not notice if everything was re-themed as before. I wonder if they have the old props in storage and will just put them back on the rides?

Anything that was branded distinctively a DC or Looney Tunes property had to be returned to SF or destroyed when they sold the park last time. There were some props like the Kryptonite crystals still kicking around that popped up in BBB and for Fright Fest.

Anything that was branded distinctively a DC or Looney Tunes property had to be returned to SF or destroyed when they sold the park last time. There were some props like the Kryptonite crystals still kicking around that popped up in BBB and for Fright Fest.

Have you heard of any theming/re-theming planned?

I’m all for the park not being overloaded with DC/Looney Tunes themeing, but RoS is BEGGING for the Superman branding to return. Having S:RoS as the only branding would be perfect. Everybody still calls it Superman still anyways.

I get the feeling that, if/when the park rethemes it to Superman, the general reaction will be, "Wait... since when has it NOT been Superman?"

I have a feeling this is going to be the case, because everyone still calls it Superman. But this is an interesting point. I think this will be the case with the other themeing as well if they use the same franchises they did back when it was previously six flags, people will just say oh that isn't new... Its possible for someone who hasn't visited since the last six flags ownership to not notice if everything was re-themed as before. I wonder if they have the old props in storage and will just put them back on the rides?

I only mentioned it because I know DL has a boneyard, what's in the boneyard now I don't know so I just figured they threw all the stuff there. It makes sense that SF would take it back though or require it destroyed especially since its licensed stuff. So at least we know if they do themeing (aka looney tunes, superman) that it will be different.

I went to the park today to process my 2019 gold pass. Noticed some interesting things about the park.

First off, does anyone know what’s up with RoS? They were only allowing people into half of the rows. The back rows of every car were blocked off. This seems quite concerning.

Next, the haunted houses. Camp ScumShine is under Viper. It is being built. Jungle Apocalypse is in the Galaxy Theater. I can confirm this as there are signs up on the building now. The third one (can’t remember the name) is in one of the catering pavilions. They are building walls around it to enclose it currently.

Lastly, Tantrum was having issues earlier. Never knew there was an elevator for the lift hill before. I also can confirm that Train #3 is gone. The transfer shed doors were all open during the breakdown with no other train to be seen inside. It appears it has already been cannibalized for parts.

The other thing I found weird was that you don’t process your pass in the building anymore. That is just for the initial purchase of the pass, on computers. You process and receive the card at a Six Flags Lane at the front gate. Then, you pick the bottles up at a tent near Slingshot. Also, the cards themselves look and feel very temporary for whatever reason.

Now for some photos:

B5D8120B-791A-45CB-83C0-0014F5394921.thumb.jpeg.748c3aeb8b930f233c8ddd86d231d84b.jpeg

Here’s the haunt in the catering pavilion (I know it’s a bad picture, it was taken from the RoS station)

C97900D6-32B0-440F-A5C1-EC05E1D018B2.thumb.jpeg.a984bb6737889b37bd7e96e39058e6a0.jpeg

The camp ScumShine entrance.

FEA14183-B863-4F12-B042-8573012529FE.thumb.jpeg.9b94bf17e93d2e94c03ff234234588c2.jpeg

Here’s what every other RoS row looked like, all blocked off. Very strange, anyone know what’s going on?

Lastly, Tantrum was having issues earlier. Never knew there was an elevator for the lift hill before. I also can confirm that Train #3 is gone. The transfer shed doors were all open during the breakdown with no other train to be seen inside. It appears it has already been cannibalized for parts.

It hasn't even been open a full season and they have already lost a train to being a part donor?? Holy crap. Wow. I would say I'm shocked... But It's Darien Lake so yeah.

The other thing I found weird was that you don’t process your pass in the building anymore. That is just for the initial purchase of the pass, on computers. You process and receive the card at a Six Flags Lane at the front gate. Then, you pick the bottles up at a tent near Slingshot. Also, the cards themselves look and feel very temporary for whatever reason.

This is how it was at SFOT this year. You just processed and received the card at the turnstile. The card does look and feel REALLY cheap, but I guess that's just how Six Flags is doing it now? I'm guessing it is saving them on staffing cost by not having to staff the Season Pass buildings?

It hasn't even been open a full season and they have already lost a train to being a part donor?? Holy crap. Wow. I would say I'm shocked... But It's Darien Lake so yeah.

That is entirely his own (idiotic) speculation. The chances of Tantrum needing that many parts is slim. They most likely took it off the track because theyre not going to ever use 3 trains at once.

Honestly, most regular guests would be just fine with the return of 'Superman' to the ride name and the second train back in operation, but SF corporate will have a tough time hyping things up. Re-theming the ride looks much more spectacular on brochures and in the gift shops. And (unfortunately for us) it gives the park a "big new attraction!"

OK...I am taking off the corporate thinking cap now. Just fix the 2nd train now please and were good....

That is entirely his own (idiotic) speculation. The chances of Tantrum needing that many parts is slim. They most likely took it off the track because theyre not going to ever use 3 trains at once.

The waiting track is up near the ceiling and in the corner of the building so only barely visible looking across from Mind Eraser's bridge. It'd be more a mark against Gerstlauer than anything if a new coaster breaks down that completely in only 5 months. Other than rain causing park issues most of the time it goes down is people jumping the fences to grab dropped items.

This is how it was at SFOT this year. You just processed and received the card at the turnstile. The card does look and feel REALLY cheap, but I guess that's just how Six Flags is doing it now? I'm guessing it is saving them on staffing cost by not having to staff the Season Pass buildings?

I got my gold plus membership card last week and it doesn't feel cheap to me, but I don't know, at least it looks pretty cool.

^ the only thing I don’t like about the membership card is the slit they have at the top - it looks like it’s meant for a lanyard to clip onto but they give you a lanyard with a card sleeve on it so there’s no point in punching a hole in the thing. Though for the past 3 or so years Darien lake has literally hole punched our passes so at least it’s nothing new.

I never thought the topic of “pass quality” would show up here. And this isn’t even the worst this thread has seen.

That looks DELICIOUS!

On the cheap looking passes. I looked into it a little more and I think I found the reason why. Six Flags is going to do fingerprint scans next year, and the card won’t be necessary. The card is basically just for this year until they get the fingerprint scanners.

Honestly, most regular guests would be just fine with the return of 'Superman' to the ride name and the second train back in operation, but SF corporate will have a tough time hyping things up. Re-theming the ride looks much more spectacular on brochures and in the gift shops. And (unfortunately for us) it gives the park a "big new attraction!"

OK...I am taking off the corporate thinking cap now. Just fix the 2nd train now please and were good....

Parks seem to like to put themeing in, but personally I would rather the money be used elsewhere, like for just about anything else but themes. I am just assuming with the corporate change they will brand the park as something other than generic ride names, I am not sure if Six Flags is going with park consistency across the chain with the few new parks they purchased and I don't think anyone else knows what they will do in this department either and it may not happen the first full year of ownership anyways. However it does look like they did something with the unused golf course under viper so that's one eyesore gone which is a positive change.

On the cheap looking passes. I looked into it a little more and I think I found the reason why. Six Flags is going to do fingerprint scans next year, and the card won’t be necessary. The card is basically just for this year until they get the fingerprint scanners.

You still need a card to go with the biometric scan, it just replaces having a photo. You cannot enter with a fingerprint alone at Six Flags. I haven't seen the Darien Lake ones yet but I'm guessing it's the same thing as the regular six flags season passes. Essentially a huge barcode, a generic six flags logo, and a number underneath the barcode.

Also: https://www.sixflags.com/national/biometric-data-tos