Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Wisp Resort- Home to one of the USA's best mountain coasters
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby bert425 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Rai Fox wrote:Oh, on the Carousel...that's actually not the real Flying Horse carousel at all! I know, the building claims it is, but the real Flying Horses carousel is nearby and is actually a children's ride; the horses "fly" because they're suspended on chains.

https://westerlylife.com/watch-hill-flying-horse-carousel/

That Herschell Carousel is an interesting one on its own; it's a bit of a frankenstein's monster. The base of it is the old Grand Carousel from Rocky Point Park, but the horses had already been sold off before Atlantic Beach bought it. They originally replaced them with some rather cheap modern metal ones, which...was a travesty, really, but switched back to classic horses later. Some of them were, I believe, recovered from the original Rocky Point carousel, some were from the original Atlantic Beach carousel. I THINK that carousel organ is also the one from Rocky Point; it at least looks like the one I remember from there, but less sure on that part. The building was from the original Atlantic Beach carousel; the one that Rocky Point's carousel was originally in was torn down, sadly.

for what's it's worth, the Historical site I have bookmarked (from the National Carousel Association) does list this particular Carousel as:

Atlantic Beach Park Westerly RI Herschell-Spillman 1915 CLA* (this classification means classic wooden carved animals)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby bert425 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:41 pm

^ ^ glad you had fun at Fun Spot!

the massive Go Kart Track was almost, but not quite, ready when I was there with TPR at the end of July.

surprised you didn't ride the Zip Line. .that was all kinds of WTF fun.

their website notes a Carousel, but I didn't see one when we were there. . have they installed one since (or did you notice one?).

I plan on going back next time I'm in Atlanta for the Karts, the Bumper Boats, and I really wanna play that mini golf. (Screaming Eagle was great too)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:26 pm

^ I definitely would have ridden the Zip Line if it were open, but unfortunately it was down for the day. I rode it last year and enjoyed it, though it wasn't quite as good as the one at Fiesta Texas. Going atop that quarry wall and flying over Superman was really cool.

I can't recall a full-size carousel, but I think they had one of those 25 cent ones you often see outside supermarkets. I hope that's not what they're listing. :lol:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Six Flags Over Georgia &Wisp Resort

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:02 am

FunXcess

I fully admit this was a credit stop, plain and simple. Whenever I travel to a park, I always punch it into RCDB to see if there are any other parks nearby. And while perusing the Atlanta area, I found some random place called FunXcess which had joined the SBF spinner craze that has swept the nation like dabbing.

Outside.jpg
Enthusiasts only care about the leftmost item.

I'm guessing most are unfamiliar with FunXcess, but it's a one-year old indoor FEC much in the mold of a Jeepers. The place had a very weird feel. For one it was a ghost town. I know we jokingly all say that about Dorney, but you at least have 2-3 others in the station with you. This was even worse than Clementon Park. I was the only guest there. And it was a Friday night! Either it was a complete fluke or I wonder how long this place will be around.

Go Karts.jpg
It was unnaturally quiet on a Friday night.

It was pretty pricey for one ride, but that's fair punishment for seeking out a ride whose targeted demographic is a third or my age. It took 5 minutes for an operator to come by (they were as sparse as guests), but eventually I boarded the Crazy 8 coaster who sported a sign as creepy as Coney Island’s Tickler. I was given 7 laps and it offered pretty decent spinning. I used to enjoy these more, but now they've become a bit too common. They're still a heck of a lot better than your garden variety wacky worm, but it no longer unique for me. 3 out of 10

Crazy 8.jpg
Is the second face the kid from Stuart Little?

Outside of the coaster, they had laser tag, go karts, arcade games, and a huge tarp covering the back wall. It's a pretty good collection for an indoor FEC, but the place just felt odd being as empty as it was. I hope they can liven up the place and attract larger crowds in the future, but as is, it's not a place I feel compelled to visit again.

Arcade.jpg
FunXcess is really spacious. That may have been part of the reason it felt so dead. That and the fact that it was dead.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus

Postby coasterbill » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:09 am

:lol: Holy sh*t. Let’s start a “We whored FunXcess” support group. Nice to see they covered up the empty back area and random scissor lift with a tarp. It really classes up the joint.

What a disaster. This place is probably going out of business like... tomorrow. They had a cool bar but even I decided I’d much rather just leave and never speak of this again.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:17 am

^ Yeah this could end up being a very rare credit unless they can find a way to get their act together and attract more people.

I left in favor of the Mellow Mushroom. Either the employees are really good at acting high or they were actually high. I mean what else would you expect from a place with mushroom in the name.
IMG_20180824_231554.jpg
IMG_20180824_231606.jpg

Postby bert425 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:23 pm

^ the one in Austin couldn't make it, and closed here.

and they were super close to University of Texas!

yeah, that confused me too. . .
Last edited by bert425 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:04 pm.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:47 pm

^ Wow I didn't realize this place ever had a second location. I mean Atlanta should be a pretty good spot (granted it's about 30 minutes outside of the city).

Postby bert425 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:03 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:^ Wow I didn't realize this place ever had a second location. I mean Atlanta should be a pretty good spot (granted it's about 30 minutes outside of the city).

They're a chain :)

https://mellowmushroom.com/stores-locations/

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:48 pm

Oh! I thought you mean FunXcess. :lol:

Yeah I've been to several Mellow Mushroom locations. The employees are always the same, which is a plus.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!