TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

Super excited for this! Sky Rocket II's are my favorite clone model, so I'm really stoked to have one at my home park. They're fast, intense, and give crazy good airtime in the back. Love the color scheme too.

To further solidify Busch Gardens’ reign as Florida’s thrill ride leader, more news is on the horizon – a second new thrill ride will be coming to the Gwazi area of the park in 2020.

giphy.gif

I have always felt that Busch Gardens Tampa has one of the best "quality over quantity" coaster line ups in the US if not even the world. There is not a single bad coaster in the mix, and in fact, when they removed Gwazi, even replaced with nothing, it actually IMPROVED the overall quality of their rides.

Both of these two rides will be fantastic and when I look at what they will have available....

Kumba

Montu

SheiKra

Cheetah Hunt

Scorpion

Cobra's Curse

Tigris

Future RMC

That list is looking amazing! Then throw in Falcon's Fury on top of it!

I mean, when the WORST roller coaster they have is a totally non-offensive, actually very fun Mack Wild Mouse or the kiddie coaster that is a VERY strong line-up of rides!

I still can't believe this is actually happening. I always wanted to truly believe Gwazi was going to be RMC'd but I never wanted to fully get my hopes up so I tried to downplay it by expecting it to be demolished. Now that it's all but officially confirmed I cannot WAIT to get back to this park for it. I freakin' love BGT so much.

Wow, I love the balance of this lineup, where you can go on almost anything and be guaranteed to have at least a really fun ride. I like this kind of mix a lot better than some parks that have 10+ coasters, but in reality there are only two or three rides you actually look forward to. The Sky Rocket II models are selling like hotcakes, and I like the looks of Tigris a lot. Add in the Gwazi tease, which I frankly didn't think had much of a pulse at this point, and this is a great announcement!

Watching that Tigris announcement and getting details about Gwazi was like watching a marvel movie with an after credits scene you didn’t know about, and actually understanding what it was teasing.

I’m really glad that Seaworld is recovering well from the last few years. I think this will be a great addition(s) to the park.

I'm honestly still completely floored by this announcement.

Like, an RMC is coming to my home park.

My home park is getting an RMC.

This is happening.

I'm just gonna keep saying that to myself for the next hour or so.

This is happening.

I have always felt that Busch Gardens Tampa has one of the best "quality over quantity" coaster line ups in the US if not even the world. There is not a single bad coaster in the mix, and in fact, when they removed Gwazi, even replaced with nothing, it actually IMPROVED the overall quality of their rides.

Both of these two rides will be fantastic and when I look at what they will have available....

Kumba

Montu

SheiKra

Cheetah Hunt

Scorpion

Cobra's Curse

Tigris

Future RMC

That list is looking amazing! Then throw in Falcon's Fury on top of it!

I mean, when the WORST roller coaster they have is a totally non-offensive, actually very fun Mack Wild Mouse or the kiddie coaster that is a VERY strong line-up of rides!

Agreed! If you throw in a couple more pieces, I think that would be enough to keep me from feeling the need to really ever go running around anywhere else in the US for my coaster fix. The big thing that BGT really lacks is anything with tons of floater to mild ejector airtime (I know Cheetah Hunt has a few pops, you kind of float a bit in SheiKra's drops, and I imagine the RMC will bring tons of strong ejector to the party). I would love to see a hyper or giga (a Mako clone would be awesome, but SWPE isn't going to do that to themselves, which is why I'd lean more towards a giga), and a really re-rideable woodie (an InvadR clone would be great, but I'd be happy with anything from an Oscar's Wacky Taxi all the way up to a Mystic Timbers).

Regardless, I'm pretty excited about this announcement as BGT is my absolute favorite park as it currently sits, and I'm really happy to see them investing in it after all the recent cuts they've done.

EDIT: And while I'm wishing, a dark ride or two would be pretty nice too.

This might be my favorite announcement of the year, and half of it is for 2020! It became clear as the years have gone by (since it's closure) that Gwazi wasn't being kept around just because it looks neat. Glad to finally get to the bottom of that, and really can't wait to see where they go with it. As for the other (more immediate) half of the announcement, I've been wanting to take a spin on a Sky Rocket II since SFDK debuted their. Glad it's finally in the cards.

Still trying to wrap my mind around stumbling off Kumba or Montu and running into an RMC Gwazi.

an InvadR clone would be great

LOL! You really want BGT to get another GCI?!?!? Seriously??? Actually, thinking about it, if it leads to an eventual second RMC maybe that's not that bad of thinking after all!

I'll be happy to send InvadR to Tampa, if BGW can get an RMC in return.

an InvadR clone would be great

LOL! You really want BGT to get another GCI?!?!? Seriously??? Actually, thinking about it, if it leads to an eventual second RMC maybe that's not that bad of thinking after all!

Actually, yeah. I think GCI got a lot better with their designs as time went on, and I think a moderately-sized, fun, re-rideable, floater airtime-filled woodie would be great for the park (and different enough from anything they have to fit in well). Obviously, the park would have to actually take care of it, but hopefully a new woodie wouldn't need as much work as Gwazi did. They could even do the White Lightning treatment and give it a steel support structure. I don't think it needs to be a huge ride or a massive capacity monster. A small-to-mid-range GCI would be perfect. But even if they decided to go with something like Oscar's Wacky Taxi, I think that would be great as well. I've don't think I've ever ridden a better coaster with a 40" height requirement at a non-Disney park, and I think that would be a great ride to expand their kids' area.

RMC's are great, but they're a different type of ride altogether than a traditional wooden coaster, and they can cater to different crowds. I think there's room to have both, and it would continue rounding out one of the best coaster collections around.

I’m more confused why coasterbro thinks a Mako clone at BGT would be “awesome”. If you want to ride Mako, it’s literaly an hour away, and your BGT annual pass also gets you into SWO.

In a perfect world, I'd have all my favorite rides at one park. I would love if Mako were at BGT instead of SWO, because then I wouldn't have to drive to Orlando whenever I wanted to ride it and could focus my vacation time on BGT instead of having to split it between Tampa & Orlando. But I get that that's not reality. I do, however, think a hyper or giga would be a great addition to BGT. And Mako is a good example of what I like in a hyper. But I don't see SWPE building a 2nd hyper (of any kind) an hour away from the one they just built, hence my thought that a giga might make more sense.

Again, this is all pipe-dreaming. I'm just happy to see them investing in the park, and I'm looking forward to the next two years of additions.

Tigris has to be the best looking Skyrocket II. Love the colors of the track and train.

I have never been to BGT and after this announcement they clearly have the better lineup than its sister in Virginia even though I absolutely love BGW (and their lineup isn't too shabby either). As for RMC Gwazi I hope they keep it a racing/dueling coaster instead of combining both tracks or making it like Twisted Colossus.

I wonder how much of the original structure of Gwazi is going to be used for the RMC. I'm guessing that gwazi is in pretty bad shape after just sitting there a few years and going through a hurricane.

They have actually been taking care of it. It's not like it has been sitting there rotting away and falling apart. If I had to guess, I'll bet they've known exactly what they were going to do with this ride for a while now, but they've just had to "wait in line" for RMC to become available.

Trust me, that structure is fine.