TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

The high speed roll is the lowly corkscrew finally getting its due, rather than being stuck towards the end when there isn't enough energy to do much else interesting.

[attachment=0]bobcoaster.jpg[/attachment]

Is the bob ross the happy little trees guy? This site cracks me up

I wasn't thrilled with SFGAm's coaster collection this summer, but I think this will be a good one.

I feel like Great America has a pretty solid line-up of "Totally non-offensive, but rides you wouldn't go out of your way for." Such as:

Raging Bull

X-Flight

Goliath

Viper

Batman

Vertical Velocity

Superman: Ultimate Flight

Demon

Whizzer

American Eagle

Like these are all really GOOD to GREAT coasters. They don't hurt you or make you angry at the world in any way at all... But at the same time... I'm not sure there is a single one on that list that I would make a trip for. And it's sort of too bad because, when I'm at the park, I enjoy every single one of those rides. But none of them are "Stand Out" attractions.

Hopefully this new coaster will shake that up a little bit.

This right here really describes how I view the park as well. It's my home park and I might visit it once or twice each season. It does lack that one or two attractions that would get me to go more often. There is nothing wrong with their line-up, it's that is just lacks any "wow" factor.

I wasn't thrilled with SFGAm's coaster collection this summer, but I think this will be a good one.

I feel like Great America has a pretty solid line-up of "Totally non-offensive, but rides you wouldn't go out of your way for." Such as:

Raging Bull

X-Flight

Goliath

Viper

Batman

Vertical Velocity

Superman: Ultimate Flight

Demon

Whizzer

American Eagle

Like these are all really GOOD to GREAT coasters. They don't hurt you or make you angry at the world in any way at all... But at the same time... I'm not sure there is a single one on that list that I would make a trip for. And it's sort of too bad because, when I'm at the park, I enjoy every single one of those rides. But none of them are "Stand Out" attractions.

Hopefully this new coaster will shake that up a little bit.

I agree as well. I had a good time at the park, didn't even get to ride everything on the day I went, but I haven't been particularly motivated to return even though it's one of the "closer" Six Flags parks to my current location. Not sure if Maxx Force will add that "wow" factor that will make me want to keep coming back, but it will definitely inspire me to make a return visit next year!

When me and my wife visited the park we enjoyed it. I have ridden all 4 north america wing riders and I enjoyed x flight the best. Goliath is one of my favorite wood coasters. Raging Bull is a very underrated hyper and batman though cloned is great. They have a very solid line up. No major holes as they seem to have one of everything. Only thing in my mind they are missing is that one amazing signature ride. The Maverick and Fury's of the world..02

Only thing in my mind they are missing is that one amazing signature ride.

Curious, wasn't that supposed to be Goliath?

I loved Goliath. When I got off though I wanted more. It felt kinda short. Another 1500 feet of track could of really made it a world beater.

When me and my wife visited the park we enjoyed it. I have ridden all 4 north america wing riders and I enjoyed x flight the best. Goliath is one of my favorite wood coasters. Raging Bull is a very underrated hyper and batman though cloned is great. They have a very solid line up. No major holes as they seem to have one of everything. Only thing in my mind they are missing is that one amazing signature ride. The Maverick and Fury's of the world..02

Am I the only one that thinks this is the best Batman out there? I’ve been a quite a few different ones and I have to say the terrain makes the difference in this one. Going over the water and through some of the trenches surrounded by trees it makes it feel faster then it is. In this case I’d have to say original is best. After this slot of then we’re just thrown down on empty flat plots of land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I the only one that thinks this is the best Batman out there? I’ve been a quite a few different ones and I have to say the terrain makes the difference in this one. Going over the water and through some of the trenches surrounded by trees it makes it feel faster then it is. In this case I’d have to say original is best. After this slot of then we’re just thrown down on empty flat plots of land.

Of course it is the best Batman out there. It is the original one built! I do agree though, the terrain makes it more fun than on some of the clones.

Of course it is the best Batman out there. It is the original one built! I do agree though, the terrain makes it more fun than on some of the clones.

In fairness they did try to duplicate some of the terrain features in St Louis by having it interact with queue elements and they dug a trench. But yes the original is definitely the best location Six Flags ever picked for the ride. I want to say one or two of the others rides a bit better though as B & M improved their manufacturing process.

So this is a half coaster kind of like YOLOcoaster but on crack essentially?

even has brakes on the drop at the end like yolo!

You're right, I didn't even notice that! Hopefully it isn't as abrupt as Full Throttle's final brakes, feels like being rear-ended everytime.

Looks like a sick new addition. I really am glad to see more of these unique, low to the ground crazy twister coasters.

2019 is gunna be hard, so many parks I havent done that are adding new rides all over the country and I cant get to them all.

choices to make!

So this is a half coaster kind of like YOLOcoaster but on crack essentially?

It's just the other half of YOLO Coaster. It got sent to the wrong park. And this park was like "Hey, what's this random coaster track? Eh. We can make something work."

But in all seriousness. . . This does look like a great addition to the park! I cant wait to give it a go!

So in "WTF?" news, there are pictures going around the internet (on a site I won't share here as I sort of remember them having some type of beef with TPR) of Christmas lights on the County Fair Food Court and Yukon Territory which basically implies that they're opening the entire park for Holiday in the Park aside from maybe Southwest Territory (though if it's not open one would think they would open the Southwest territory gate back to Justice League so they could open that and cut it right there.

Six Flags is insane. I love them.

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Really if there are enough guests in the park, there's not any reason why every park can't deck out the whole thing and just run what will function in that temperature. I feel like a lot of these partial openings are just to reduce costs until they see what the demand is.

From my understanding from another forum, park was contacted back when they announced HITP and they said the entire park would be open. I guess we will see come November 23rd though.

You should see before then. Six Flags St Louis released a HITP map in October IIRC.

The loop layout of Great America would make it harder to have anything less than the full original loop open. And Southwest Territory isn't that big so having it open probably isn't too bad either and it has two good coasters and two flat rides that should do well in the cold.

Honestly I was sure they would cut the path at the "bridge" to Yukon territory and somewhere between the train bridge and Strutters on the right. The motivation for opening the entire loop is probably based almost solely on Justice League (which I understand) and maybe the desire to open another kids area since the demographic for these events shifts a lot towards kids and families.

Has anyone seen any lights in Southwest Territory? If not I expect them to cut the path near the Lobster, use the back path to get to Justice League and then cut the path at the choke point near Justice League and the restrooms.

That said, I don't expect every coaster in the open parts of the park to actually operate. American Eagle's queue would be awful to deal with when it snows so I feel like that would close for sure since nobody would really care. I feel like they're going to stick to B&M's, kiddy coasters and Joker with V2 being a crapshoot.

... oh, and Larson coasters. They run great in the cold.