Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 267 - Halloween Horror Nights 2018 Report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:10 pm

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent us a press release announcing the final maze for Halloween Horror Nights, Universal Monsters!

It’s alive! Inspired by Universal’s original cinematic Monsters and the studio that invented the horror film, Universal Studios Hollywood unearths an all-new “Halloween Horror Nights” maze based on the original “Universal Monsters”…with a terrifying contemporary twist on these classic horror icons.

The new maze will also feature an original score produced and composed by celebrated GRAMMY® Award-winning musician, SLASH, long hailed as one of the 10 best electric guitar-players of all time.

“Halloween Horror Nights” begins on Friday, September 14, 2018.

At its core, “Halloween Horror Nights” is an extension of the horror film legacy originated by Universal Pictures and introduced to audiences in the 1920s…with a staple of classic Universal Monsters that dominated the silver screen, including Dracula, The Phantom of the Opera, Frankenstein’s Monster and The Wolf Man.

“Halloween Horror Nights” continues to pay homage to these creatures of the night in this new maze by reawakening more than a dozen of these iconic classic Monsters. The essence of the maze will underscore each of their unique attributes and reimagine them into terrifying modern day characters. At a glance, resurrected monsters will include The Wolf Man, The Invisible Man, The Phantom of the Opera, Dracula, Dracula’s Bride, Frankenstein’s Monster, The Bride of Frankenstein and The Mummy, to name a few.

By giving each character a unique, complex composition, SLASH’s original score will add a haunting dimension to the experience and help define each of the characters.

“As a fan of horror movies and of ‘Halloween Horror Nights,’ I jumped at the chance to once again collaborate with Universal Studios Hollywood to produce what might be interpreted as a soundtrack for the maze,” said SLASH. “Similar to the way music affects a film, I wanted to compose a score for the legions of infamous characters featured in the maze to elicit a greater sense of terror for the guests. In the end, the goal is to ultimately make the guests feel as if they are playing an integral role in a classic Monster movie.”

“This maze is the ultimate melding of two of history’s greatest icons – classic monsters and the top guitar player of all time,” said John Murdy, Creative Director at Universal Studios Hollywood and Executive Producer of “Halloween Horror Nights.” “SLASH’s intuitive understanding of the characters’ struggles brings enormous depth to the maze to epitomize a living-movie experience for our guests.

“This is the second time we’ve had the great fortune to collaborate with SLASH on a ‘Halloween Horror Nights’ maze,” Murdy continued, “and it is a distinct honor to bring his expertise to the event where guests can enjoy a truly exclusive opportunity.”

"Halloween Horror Nights" at Universal Studios Hollywood brings together the sickest minds in horror to immerse guests in a living, breathing, three-dimensional world of terror. Featuring an all-new slate of unrivaled film production quality mazes, frightful scare zones and a fully re-imagined “Terror Tram” experience uniquely themed to today’s most definitive horror properties, “Halloween Horror Nights” will taunt, terrorize and torment guests with spine-chilling haunted attractions as part of Southern California’s most extreme Halloween experience.

For exciting updates and exclusive “Halloween Horror Nights” content, visit Hollywood.HalloweenHorrorNights.com, like Halloween Horror Nights – Hollywood on Facebook; follow @HorrorNights #UniversalHHN on Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat; and watch the terror come to life on Halloween Horror Nights YouTube.
Universal Monsters at HHN 2018 (logo).jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:37 am

Here's a "first look" at the new Stranger Things Maze coming to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Hollywood, Orlando, and Singapore...

Universal City, CA, September 5, 2018 – Universal Studios reveals first look images from the “Stranger Things” haunted mazes coming to “Halloween Horror Nights” 2018.

For the first time ever, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Singapore are partnering with Netflix to bring “Stranger Things” to life at their “Halloween Horror Nights" events. Each park will feature its very own maze that will give guests the chance to brave the Upside Down and encounter iconic scenes, characters and environments from season one of the critically-acclaimed series.

The images showcase some of the eerily-authentic environments guests will encounter at “Halloween Horror Nights” 2018 – including the Byers’ living room adorned with an erratic display of flashing Christmas lights, Hawkins National Laboratory in the Upside Down, Will’s makeshift fort called Castle Byers and more.

“Halloween Horror Nights” begins Friday, September 14 in Hollywood and Orlando, and on Thursday, September 27 in Singapore. Tickets and vacation packages are on sale now. For more information about “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Orlando Resort or Universal Studios Singapore, visit http://www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com

1_First Look Inside Stranger Things maze at HHN 2018.jpg
2_First Look Inside Stranger Things maze at HHN 2018.jpg
3_First Look Inside Stranger Things maze at HHN 2018.jpg
4_First Look Inside Stranger Things maze at HHN 2018.jpg
5_First Look Inside Stranger Things maze at HHN 2018.jpg
6_First Look Inside Stranger Things maze at HHN 2018.jpg
Last edited by robbalvey on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:38 am.

Lost My Veganity on the New Hotness trip.

Postby dylanreich » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:37 pm

Wow, those scenes look great! I just watched the show so I am excited for this. I probably wasn't going to go before but this is enough to make me want to visit this year. =)
YOLO all day errday
Steel: 1.Skull Mountain 2.X2 3.I-305 4.Tatsu 5.Storm Runner 6.Volcano
Wood: 1.Phoenix 2.Thunderhead 3.El Toro 4.Apocalypse 5.Lightning Racer

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby Shut It Down » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:54 pm

My girlfriend is obsessed with stranger things and after showing her these pictures were slated to go to horror nights this year!! Will be my first time so definitely looking forward to it.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby thedlr » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:25 pm

Just pulled the trigger and bought our express tickets for next month. It will be our first time!

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby DBJ » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:19 am

That Stranger Things set design sold me on it this year. Going Oct. 4. Looking forward to that and Poltergeist mostly.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby coasterlvr » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:58 am

Theme Park Review was invited to a special sneak preview to Universal Studios Hollywood’s Halloween Horror Nights new maze, Stranger Things. John Murdy, Creative Director and Producer of HHN, walked us through the entire Stranger Things maze and explained the thought that went into all of the design.

Stranger Things follows Season 1. The maze starts with Will being abducted by the Demogorgon. Then follows season 1 through a number of rooms. Will’s Room, Will’s Backyard, Castle Byers, The Upside Down, Hawkins National Laboratory, The Void, Hawkins Middle School, HMS Science Room. The Demogorgon will be throughout the maze for obvious reasons.

All the audio clips are taken directly from Stranger Things. John Murdy spent hours watching and listening to each episode taking notes, then requested all the audio clips from Netflix.

The detail in every room, even in an unfinished state, is amazing. The maze, is also in Stage 29 on the backlot, which is a working sound stage. Most recently used for Family Feud. Being in a sound stage gives them a little more freedom. Including a much higher ceiling if needed. I believe some areas of the maze are as high as 30 feet. So not having to distort an area that might have had to in another area. Also, being Universal, there will be some pretty cool effects used throughout.

I think fans of Stranger Things will undoubtedly be impressed with the rooms within the maze, if you’re able to focus at all on anything before being frightened throughout. A big thank you to John Murdy, and Heather from NBCUniversal for allowing us behind the scenes!

Here are a few photos of a couple of the areas that were mostly finished.
a83nWh+6S9SPRM1wQyX3IQ.jpg
John Murdy showing his excitement to take a bunch a nerds through the Stranger Things maze! lol
O7%fAd7CREqmhPOjuen%eQ.jpg
GiuB0fT+QsC87LSmwpiyVQ.jpg
6wQwDoPjRW2LnTD3Bp%Wyg.jpg
36tUDYUPQJubEK7eI+9XCg.jpg
Rk2pEc1KQreFfdWhjqWE6Q.jpg
John and John
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:09 am.

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:45 am

Hum, so judging from the pictures, each universal doesn't have a carbon copy of Stranger Things maze.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:05 pm

jarmor wrote:Hum, so judging from the pictures, each universal doesn't have a carbon copy of Stranger Things maze.

I've found that to always be the case when they share properties. Each creative team has their own takes on the same scenes.

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:49 am

^ Orlando's always seem to be bigger, too. At least the soundstage haunts. Since Orlando's soundstages aren't in such heavy use they have more freedom. Hollywood generally has only one or two soundstage haunts that share one soundstage. The rest are in existing structure or tents.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!