TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nickelodeon Universe / American Dream Discussion Thread

Wouldn't the Sequoia roller coaster have the steepest drop since it's 180 degrees? For that matter, wouldn't all the S&S free fly coasters have the steepest drop as well? What are the factors for a steep drop?

Wouldn't the Sequoia roller coaster have the steepest drop since it's 180 degrees? For that matter, wouldn't all the S&S free fly coasters have the steepest drop as well? What are the factors for a steep drop?

I think because Sequoia Adventure's "drop" is an inversion (and also a super tiny drop) people don't count it. (I'm not saying I agree with that line of logic, I'm just repeating what I've heard).

Well would you look at that...

Looks great! Glad to see construction is making solid progress

It'll be so nice to have a good coaster to ride in the Northeast from January-March. Actually two when you add the spinner.

Right now I think the only options are kiddie coasters during that time.

Also alpine coasters, if you count those, but this winter season's just been so brutally cold I couldn't bring myself to do any of those this year. Definitely gonna be nice to have a good, warm, indoor location to get our coastin' on!

I figured this would get finished when Triple 5 took over, they just squeezed every incentive and cost break they could before finally getting going.

Shame that there will not be a new Toys R Us flagship store though.

• 1 month later...

The Main website has been updated: http://www.americandream.com

The webcam has also been updated and included in the site under Locations. It now has a Live Stream function that's going to come in handy once they go to 24 hour work later this summer.

Triple Five last week had a luncheon for sponsors and local media and someone took a 40-minute video of a presentation offering more details on the complex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG5tswc53qg&t=9s

-It sounds like the Nick Universe Theme Park will open with or close to the time the complex has it's grand opening in March 2019

- 80% of the retail space is leased and 60% of construction is complete.

-Work is scheduled to pick up later in the summer and go 24 hours.

-The DreamWorks Water Park is scheduled to open Summer/Fall 2019

-The Observation wheel might start going up soon.

-The archways for the water park roof will go up soon.

Concept art for the connector section in between the theme park and water park.

The Main website has been updated: http://www.americandream.com

The webcam has also been updated and included in the site under Locations. It now has a Live Stream function that's going to come in handy once they go to 24 hour work later this summer.

Triple Five last week had a luncheon for sponsors and local media and someone took a 40-minute video of a presentation offering more details on the complex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG5tswc53qg&t=9s

-It sounds like the Nick Universe Theme Park will open with or close to the time the complex has it's grand opening in March 2019

- 80% of the retail space is leased and 60% of construction is complete.

-Work is scheduled to pick up later in the summer and go 24 hours.

-The DreamWorks Water Park is scheduled to open Summer/Fall 2019

-The Observation wheel might start going up soon.

-The archways for the water park roof will go up soon.

Concept art for the connector section in between the theme park and water park.

It was my goal to include NYC either before or after my planned big Euro trip. I was hoping for the waterpark to be a go. I hope it gets open before July 19.

• 3 months later...

Now that much of the theme park has been enclosed, it's hard to follow what's going on inside. I did find a collection of photos from a day or two ago showing the inside: https://www.nj.com/expo/news/erry-2018/08/b85c8d48541268/index.html

It sounds like starting next week construction is supposed to really pick up. Inside it looks like the track for the Eurofighter has been added for the station and pre-launch section. The spinning coaster has started to be put up and looks taller than I expected and circles around the vertical lift and drop of the Eurofighter. They are projecting the water park to open next fall, but seem to want to move that date up.

One that I am kind of surprised with is the lack of social media with this whole thing. Outside of upper NJ and New York City, I really don't know if many people are aware of this place being built. I haven't heard of anything in central or eastern Pennsylvania. Maybe it's still too early?

da4_1gallery1galleryamericandream4362.jpeg

You just reminded me that I forgot to post the following from two days ago. The link has a shot video of the coaster construction. An April 2019, opening date is still planned for the mall and Nicklodeon Universe.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/08/28/meadowslands-american-dream-mall-opening-date/

Meadowsland's American Dream Mall To Open In April 2019

August 28, 2018 at 7:53 pm

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – The Meadowlands American Dream project has been dragging on for more than 15 years.

Now the planners they have an opening date, reports CBS2’s Meg Baker.

Among the concrete beams, the roller coaster tracks are rising, the water park is being connected, a big round amphitheater is being constructed and the ice hockey rink is in the works.

The American Dream project has come back to life, and project managers say it will be ready to go by April 2019.

The builder says the project creates 23,000 construction jobs, which will turn into more than 16,000 permanent jobs.

Today Gov. Phil Murphy joined Triple Five investors and other officials to talk economics…

“These jobs – get this – will pay annual wage of $1.2 billion,” said Murphy. “And those wages will find their way into broader economy.”

With brick and mortar malls closing all over the country, developers expect this mall to survive since the emphasis has changed from shopping to fun.

“(It’s) 55 percent entertainment, 45 percent retail and culinary – different mix than tradition shopping destination,” said Lincoln Palsgrove of Triple Five.

Palsgrove says they expect to draw 40 million people every year.

They are working hard to capture the international market and the 65 million visitors who travel to New York City annually.

“We are going to have great connectivity with the region working with NJ TRANSIT in making sure everything is set up day one,” said Palsgrove.

For drivers, the mall will have 30,000 parking spots – 22,000 as part of the project and 11,000 in agreement with the stadium.

Edited by larrygator

One that I am kind of surprised with is the lack of social media with this whole thing. Outside of upper NJ and New York City, I really don't know if many people are aware of this place being built. I haven't heard of anything in central or eastern Pennsylvania. Maybe it's still too early?

Nobody cares because nobody thinks its ever actually going to open. No matter how close they get to finished or whatever is announced. I'll believe it when I see it actually open with general public on rides. And then I give it a year before closing.

As a local to this area I'm really not sure how this is going to do. I really won't be surpised either way. I can see this struggling to do well in the summer when so many locals go down to the shore. Also this area is filled with a group of people that have wanted to see this knocked down years ago and the project has such a negative reputation for the massive amounts of money that it cost taxpayers already so I can easily see this going under if the tourists don't support it. I'm not so sure that many of them that are visiting NYC are going to hop on nj transit to Secaucus to then another train to this mall that is virtually in the middle of swamp land.

As a local to this area I'm really not sure how this is going to do. I really won't be surpised either way. I can see this struggling to do well in the summer when so many locals go down to the shore. Also this area is filled with a group of people that have wanted to see this knocked down years ago and the project has such a negative reputation for the massive amounts of money that it cost taxpayers already so I can easily see this going under if the tourists don't support it. I'm not so sure that many of them that are visiting NYC are going to hop on nj transit to Secaucus to then another train to this mall that is virtually in the middle of swamp land.

It is going to be very interesting to see how this mall does. I do think their projections are a little unrealistic though. From the article: "Palsgrove says they expect to draw 40 million people every year." The most visited theme park in the world is the Magic Kingdom at Disneyworld and it had attendance of just over 20 million in 2017. So this guy expects his mall to get twice as many visitors as the most visited theme park in the world? I hope he's not counting on that number in year one, or even year two or three.

The transportation issue is another big factor. If there's no convenient/direct way to get there from NYC, then people aren't going to visit it. I know there is an Express Bus from NYC to the Meadowlands on game days that is very convenient and it's only $7 each way. A similar express bus to the mall would make a lot of sense and really help get NYC visitors to the mall.

^ Mall of America has 40 million visitors per year. For a project of this scale, I would say attendance like 40 million visitors per year should be expected.

There are a lot more options here when it comes to entertainment so I would be really impressed if they hit that number. I'll definitely check out the water park and amusement park and might even get season passes depending on the prices but I'm still not really sure if this place will succeed or not.

^ Mall of America has 40 million visitors per year. For a project of this scale, I would say attendance like 40 million visitors per year should be expected.

Wow, I didn't realize that the Mall of America drew that kind of attendance. However, it has been around for over 25 years and pretty much everyone has heard of it. I guess that makes the 40 million number for American Dream sound a little more realistic. But I still think it's going to be years before they pull in those kind of numbers. I do hope it's a success though and I plan on visiting it on my next trip out East.

Wow, I didn't realize that the Mall of America drew that kind of attendance. However, it has been around for over 25 years and pretty much everyone has heard of it. I guess that makes the 40 million number for American Dream sound a little more realistic. But I still think it's going to be years before they pull in those kind of numbers. I do hope it's a success though and I plan on visiting it on my next trip out East.

It doesn't hurt that the MOA is connected via rail within minutes to MSP. Many traveling through stay there on long layovers. This American Dream is a bit more challenging because you'll need to uber, taxi or day rent a car from EWR to it. Maybe a local could give the lowdown of transit. This place running a shuttle bus to and from seems to be a no brainer.

Case in point. One of the flights I could choose as an award for my Europe trip with the family via United has me leaving Memphis at 6 am and getting to EWR at 9:40. A host of my end points in Europe don't leave till much later. I could have a window from 8hrs to 13 hrs. United does have a baggage hold service there.

This article from June addresses transportation enhancements that will occur with the opening of the mall.

Also as an FYI, the CEO of KidZania is projecting 500,000 - 1,000,000 yearly visitors to KidsZania

New Features Announced For American Dream Mall

The $3B entertainment destination will have an 800-room hotel, more than 20 restaurants, and 2 revolving kitchens, among other things.

By Daniel Hubbard, Patch Staff | Jun 21, 2018 8:00 am ET | Updated Jun 21, 2018 9:53 am ET

New Features Announced For American Dream Mall

BERGEN COUNTY, NJ — The closer American Dream Meadowlands gets to its Spring 2019 opening date, the more is found out about what kind of amenities the $3 billion entertainment and retail destination will have.

There will be more than 120 places to eat, including more than 20 sit-down restaurants, and 20,000 square feet dedicated to "health, wellness, beauty, and spa facilities."

An 800-room hotel is also under development. A gourmet food hall will have a cooking studio and two revolving kitchens showcasing up-and-coming chefs and food concepts.

American Dream will use technology to enhance customers' experiences. Augmented reality displays will be available throughout the complex. Smart bracelets will allow parents to shop and stay connected to their children throughout the campus.

Tourists factor big into Triple Five's plans for American Dream Meadowlands. Between 30 and 40 million people could visit American Dream annually. There are plans for a hotel and a special tourism center at the $3 billion entertainment and retail destination.

A reception team will be fluent in Mandarin Chinese, Spanish, French, Russian, Portuguese, Arabic, and other languages. Shuttles will take people to and from airports and New York City.

We already know that a huge LEGOLAND Discovery Center with a 4-D cinema, LEGO brick pool, rides, and classes for kids will be there. There will also be the first Sea Life aquarium in New Jersey. It will feature a tropical ocean tank with a walk-through underwater tunnel. An indoor waterpark and an amusement park are also being built.

KidZania, a miniature city run by kids 4 to 14 years old will also be there. It will have its own currency and companies like Honda, Sony, Kellogg's, Coca-Cola and others have sponsored businesses and landmarks in the attraction.

A commuter shuttle will run between NJ Transit's Meadowlands station and the Secaucus train station.

NJ Transit will operate a direct bus line from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York City to American Dream.

New York Waterway is in talks to run a shuttle to take passengers to and from marinas along the Hudson River along the Gold Coast — Edgewater, Weehawken, and North Bergen — to American Dream.

American Dream was originally slated to open in 2017. Then last summer Triple Five pushed back the completion date because it had difficulty securing the $1.1 billion in financing. It worked with Goldman Sachs and J.P. Morgan to secure $1.6 billion in financing earlier this year.

• 2 weeks later...

We need to talk about this drop tower.

I've seen it from the highway a few times and it *appears* to be an S&S though it does sort of blend in with the other columns and general mess of the construction site when you're driving at highway speeds (which at that toll plaza is a solid 2-3 miles per hour). That said, it clearly pops WAY through the roof (much higher than the coaster) and considering Takabisha's 141 ft height it looks to be pushing 175-200 feet.

You can see the pop out for the coaster on the left and the drop tower on the right. It's pretty impressive looking and it should give an awesome view of Manhattan if they enclose it in glass (which I'm sure they will).

It's easier to see from the turnpike than the webcam but the webcam gives you a great idea of how tall it is.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.5c0496535d97c4fc1902ec480a3ac617.jpg

Webcams