American Dream Discussion Thread

P. 22: April 2019 opening is announced
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: American Dream Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat May 19, 2018 5:42 pm

Wow, I'm impressed. If this actually does open I'll defijitely have to put it on my NYC itinerary for whenever that happens.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Ccron10 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:57 pm

Now that much of the theme park has been enclosed, it's hard to follow what's going on inside. I did find a collection of photos from a day or two ago showing the inside: https://www.nj.com/expo/news/erry-2018/08/b85c8d48541268/index.html
It sounds like starting next week construction is supposed to really pick up. Inside it looks like the track for the Eurofighter has been added for the station and pre-launch section. The spinning coaster has started to be put up and looks taller than I expected and circles around the vertical lift and drop of the Eurofighter. They are projecting the water park to open next fall, but seem to want to move that date up.

One that I am kind of surprised with is the lack of social media with this whole thing. Outside of upper NJ and New York City, I really don't know if many people are aware of this place being built. I haven't heard of anything in central or eastern Pennsylvania. Maybe it's still too early?

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:33 pm

You just reminded me that I forgot to post the following from two days ago. The link has a shot video of the coaster construction. An April 2019, opening date is still planned for the mall and Nicklodeon Universe.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/08/28/meadowslands-american-dream-mall-opening-date/

Meadowsland's American Dream Mall To Open In April 2019
August 28, 2018 at 7:53 pm

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – The Meadowlands American Dream project has been dragging on for more than 15 years.

Now the planners they have an opening date, reports CBS2’s Meg Baker.

Among the concrete beams, the roller coaster tracks are rising, the water park is being connected, a big round amphitheater is being constructed and the ice hockey rink is in the works.

The American Dream project has come back to life, and project managers say it will be ready to go by April 2019.

The builder says the project creates 23,000 construction jobs, which will turn into more than 16,000 permanent jobs.

Today Gov. Phil Murphy joined Triple Five investors and other officials to talk economics…

“These jobs – get this – will pay annual wage of $1.2 billion,” said Murphy. “And those wages will find their way into broader economy.”

With brick and mortar malls closing all over the country, developers expect this mall to survive since the emphasis has changed from shopping to fun.

“(It’s) 55 percent entertainment, 45 percent retail and culinary – different mix than tradition shopping destination,” said Lincoln Palsgrove of Triple Five.

Palsgrove says they expect to draw 40 million people every year.

They are working hard to capture the international market and the 65 million visitors who travel to New York City annually.

“We are going to have great connectivity with the region working with NJ TRANSIT in making sure everything is set up day one,” said Palsgrove.

For drivers, the mall will have 30,000 parking spots – 22,000 as part of the project and 11,000 in agreement with the stadium.
Last edited by larrygator on Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:38 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Never thought I'd see the day. The end is nigh.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Mike240SX » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:36 pm

Ccron10 wrote:
One that I am kind of surprised with is the lack of social media with this whole thing. Outside of upper NJ and New York City, I really don't know if many people are aware of this place being built. I haven't heard of anything in central or eastern Pennsylvania. Maybe it's still too early?

Nobody cares because nobody thinks its ever actually going to open. No matter how close they get to finished or whatever is announced. I'll believe it when I see it actually open with general public on rides. And then I give it a year before closing.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 133
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Satans Hockey » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:07 pm

As a local to this area I'm really not sure how this is going to do. I really won't be surpised either way. I can see this struggling to do well in the summer when so many locals go down to the shore. Also this area is filled with a group of people that have wanted to see this knocked down years ago and the project has such a negative reputation for the massive amounts of money that it cost taxpayers already so I can easily see this going under if the tourists don't support it. I'm not so sure that many of them that are visiting NYC are going to hop on nj transit to Secaucus to then another train to this mall that is virtually in the middle of swamp land.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:29 pm

I'm sure this project will do just great. =) I'm sure of that . . . hopefully. ;)
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby VegasBaby » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:56 pm

Satans Hockey wrote:As a local to this area I'm really not sure how this is going to do. I really won't be surpised either way. I can see this struggling to do well in the summer when so many locals go down to the shore. Also this area is filled with a group of people that have wanted to see this knocked down years ago and the project has such a negative reputation for the massive amounts of money that it cost taxpayers already so I can easily see this going under if the tourists don't support it. I'm not so sure that many of them that are visiting NYC are going to hop on nj transit to Secaucus to then another train to this mall that is virtually in the middle of swamp land.

It is going to be very interesting to see how this mall does. I do think their projections are a little unrealistic though. From the article: "Palsgrove says they expect to draw 40 million people every year." The most visited theme park in the world is the Magic Kingdom at Disneyworld and it had attendance of just over 20 million in 2017. So this guy expects his mall to get twice as many visitors as the most visited theme park in the world? I hope he's not counting on that number in year one, or even year two or three.

The transportation issue is another big factor. If there's no convenient/direct way to get there from NYC, then people aren't going to visit it. I know there is an Express Bus from NYC to the Meadowlands on game days that is very convenient and it's only $7 each way. A similar express bus to the mall would make a lot of sense and really help get NYC visitors to the mall.
Coaster Count: 209 Last Coaster: Hangtime
Top Ten: 1) Superman:TR 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) El Toro 6) Twisted Colossus 7) Maverick 8) Lightning Rod 9) Mako 10) Storm Runner

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:11 pm

^ Mall of America has 40 million visitors per year. For a project of this scale, I would say attendance like 40 million visitors per year should be expected.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Satans Hockey » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:23 pm

gerstlaueringvar wrote:^ Mall of America has 40 million visitors per year. For a project of this scale, I would say attendance like 40 million visitors per year should be expected.

There are a lot more options here when it comes to entertainment so I would be really impressed if they hit that number. I'll definitely check out the water park and amusement park and might even get season passes depending on the prices but I'm still not really sure if this place will succeed or not.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!