Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

P. 969 - Yukon Striker Announced! B&M Dive Machine
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby cfc » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:00 am

Yukon Striker Coming to Canada's Wonderland!
A New B&M Dive Machine!

cw-yukonstriker-icon.png

From the park's website:

It’s 1897 and a flood of men and women are venturing into the untamed wilderness of northwestern Canada, fueled by little more than rumour of limitless gold. The headwaters of the Yukon spread beyond an unforgiving landscape, tempting newcomers with the promise of riches that lay buried in ice-cold riverbeds throughout the Klondike.

Most prospectors are doomed to fail. The journey is treacherous along the Chilkoot Trail, a steep and punishing climb high into the coastal mountain range. The seasons are extreme and the backcountry, for all its raw beauty, is unyielding.

Among the lawless boom towns and outposts, only a few will succeed in this quest for glory. A Golden Eagle soars high on the winds watching the perilous hunt. Who will endure the longest journey? Who will conquer the tallest mountain pass, the treacherous terrain and rise worthy of the name YUKON STRIKER….

Ride Stats

Designed by: Bolliger & Mabillard
Coaster type: Dive
Height of drop: 245 feet (75 metres) *includes underground tunnel
Top Speed: 130 km/h (80 mph)
Inversions: 4
Length: 3,625 feet (1,105 metres)
Duration: 3 minutes, 25 seconds
Trains: 3
Riders per Train: 24

World Records

1. The fastest dive coaster at 130 km/h (80 mph)
2. The longest dive coaster at 3,625 feet (1,105 metres)
3. Tallest dive coaster at 245 feet (75 metres) - includes underground

Unique Features

Floorless, stadium seating for enhanced visibility with 3 rows of 8 riders
‘Hold and dive’ element pauses train for 3 seconds over 90-degree drop into an underwater tunnel
Complete 360-degree loop, never before seen on a dive coaster

Frontier Canada

The launch of Yukon Striker coincides with the official opening of Frontier Canada, a gold rush-themed attraction area in Canada's Wonderland. Originally conceived of for the park's opening in 1981, Frontier Canada was never realized until now. Other attractions to be featured in the section include Mighty Canadian Minebuster, Lumberjack, Soaring Timbers, Flying Canoes, Vortex, Timberwolf Falls and White Water Canyon.

yukon1.PNG
yukon2.PNG
yukon3.PNG

yukon1.PNG

yukon2.PNG

yukon3.PNG

3. Logo - WinterFest.png

New for 2019 - WinterFest
WinterFest offers a new season of holiday fun in 2019, when guests at Canada’s Wonderland will be
treated to an all-new immersive holiday experience taking place in late November and December.
During WinterFest, the park will be transformed into an enchanted winter wonderland complete with
uniquely themed areas, dozens of Christmas trees, millions of spectacular lights, ice-skating, live
entertainment, savory treats, crafts and hands-on family activities.
The park’s fountain on International Street will become Snowflake Lake where guests can enjoy ice
skating amid brilliant holiday lights. Each night, singers and dancers will set the stage for the celebratory

lighting ceremony of a 70-foot-tall (21 m) Christmas tree featuring more than 40,000 sparkling
ornaments. WinterFest visitors can feast on savory treats and holiday favourites like turkey, gourmet hot
chocolate and peppermint fudge, and then catch one of a dozen live holiday-themed shows like Cool
Yule Christmas and Jingle Jazz. Children can help elves mail letters to Santa, decorate cookies in Mrs.
Claus’ Kitchen, and meet classic Peanuts characters or special WinterFest entertainers like Jack Frost,
the Sugar Plum Fairy and Candy Cane.
10. WinterFest Postcard .jpg

9. WinterFest - Tree Lighting 1.jpg
Last edited by robbalvey on Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:37 am.

NE Pancake Maker

Postby nicman » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:11 am

Finally, I am very much looking forward to this new coaster although the only thing that I don't like is that extended mcbr.

It took nearly 16 years for b&m to take a hint from rct for the vertical loop. ;)

Winterfest also looks really cool, I hope they redesign the Wonder Mountain's Guardian game for a Christmas based theme like they do with it for Halloween Haunt.
Last edited by nicman on Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:20 am.
Favorite Park: CW
Favorite Ride: Leviathan

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby chemical_echo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:16 am

geisha78 wrote:It will be interesting to see just which “select” rides will be open during the winterfest, and the impact or barriers temperatures will have on these decisions.

Been a long time since I worked at the park but, I remember being told that most coasters can't run under a certain temperature, which will be above or average winter temperatures.
I'd expect to see the two carousels running along with since select slower/medium level flats.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby vertigomike » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:19 am

Finally, a dive machine with a vertical loop!
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/3daeb7ce4d5157dc4ad7d17c8391e12f.jpg[/img][/url]

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby bluestreak » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:23 am

Ride looks cool but god damn what is that name.
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby WolfBobs » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:24 am

This ride will suck because it's not named My bottom lip is oddly disproportionate to my upper lip and I'm not sure why!!!

Time to start planning my 2019 road trip to CW! Love the colors, name and theme. Definitely an amazing looking layout for a Dive Machine!

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Coasterguy21 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:36 am

I have been dreaming of the day where we would see a vertical loop on a Dive Machine! B&M designs loops so well, it just seemed like a natural fit. Now, we finally have it!

Terrific layout and that drop will take the cake I think. A dive 23 feet under the lake. Tunnels are great on coasters and take Oblivion for example, they're terrific on Dive Coasters. But the small looking opening with a wide train and surrounded by the water here will make it even more thrilling (especially for the GP'ers that don't get around like all of us do).

Nice action packed first half of the ride before turning into a somewhat more of a scenic maneuver ending (a la GateKeeper) which I know some will probably gripe about, but if the first 3/4 of the ride is terrific then I don't care what comes after the MCBR. Cannot wait to ride it next season to see where it ranks against the other Dives.
This is my super lame signature where I will mention the words "roller coaster" and "theme park"

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Johnlloyd » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:47 am

Yukon Striker looks like a very good addition to the park. I am glad they went with the theming and name for the coaster that they did decide upon, as it has now allowed them to re-brand the whole White water Canyon section in to Frontier Canada, which was originally planned for the park back in 1981. I look forward to riding this record-breaker of a dive coaster in 2019! :)
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:51 am

I'm pretty impressed with this layout! Definitely a unique dive coaster for sure! Another great coaster to add to this park's lineup!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby pryonisys » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:53 am

This looks cool. The only other dive coaster that I've been on is Griffon and that was fun too. I very much like the idea of the drop into the tunnel. The mcbr is kind of odd, but we'll see what it's like when the coaster really exists.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!