Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports Land

Como Town and Como Zoo
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:30 pm

Great report! Perfect description of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom; it really is one part SeaWorld on a budget and then you turn the corner and see your usual Six Flags atmosphere.

I need to make it back there to try Joker, but Medusa really is awesome. I love that long, straight drop in the back. I wish more B&Ms had them.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby scooterdoug » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:44 pm

Excellent report, as usual. I'm glad you enjoyed our humble little park. Yep, it's flawed and unique, and a great way to spend your day. I agree that Medusa is fantastic, my favorite of the B&M floorless models. I'm amazed at how smooth it has remained after nearly two decades. The Joker is also an underrated gem. It's certainly the weakest of the RMC's, but the worst RMC is typically the best coaster in its respective park. Kong and Boomerang, not so much. I have only ridden Boomerang once. I rarely ride Kong. I typically only ride it when I visit the park with Rawkin_coaster, and it's because she's a masochist and doesn't want to wallow in her masochism on her own.
Again, excellent TR. I always enjoy seeing my home park through different eyes. Looking forward to the final installment. I can't imagine what else you crammed into your whirlwind, sleep-deprived weekend.
Aikido: Why fight when you can flow?

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby bluestreak » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Enjoyed the last few reports as usual Bill. My aunt lives about 15 minutes from Great America. She's not a coaster person so she's never been and especially doesn't want to go now because she's afraid of the cluster f*** that the area might be since they put the new football stadium in.

That being said, I'm in the middle of planning a trip to stay with her and do CGA, SFDK, and maybe catch a San Jose Sharks game if I plan in the trip in the spring or fall.
Thanks for great looks at these parks to give me an idea of what I'm in for! Can't wait for the next updates!
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:34 am

All is forgiven. They have penguins.

You have no idea how much I love penguins.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:36 pm

Lol @ "SeaWorld on Meth"

Glad you guys got to do V2, there wasn't even a train on the track and they had a wall in front of the entrance when we were there. And yeah...also front half of the park still not open an hour past opening. :roll:

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:29 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:Great report! Perfect description of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom; it really is one part SeaWorld on a budget and then you turn the corner and see your usual Six Flags atmosphere.

I need to make it back there to try Joker, but Medusa really is awesome. I love that long, straight drop in the back. I wish more B&Ms had them.

Thanks! Yeah, I agree, Medusa's drop is great. Everything about Medusa is great.

scooterdoug wrote:Excellent report, as usual. I'm glad you enjoyed our humble little park. Yep, it's flawed and unique, and a great way to spend your day. I agree that Medusa is fantastic, my favorite of the B&M floorless models. I'm amazed at how smooth it has remained after nearly two decades. The Joker is also an underrated gem. It's certainly the weakest of the RMC's, but the worst RMC is typically the best coaster in its respective park. Kong and Boomerang, not so much. I have only ridden Boomerang once. I rarely ride Kong. I typically only ride it when I visit the park with Rawkin_coaster, and it's because she's a masochist and doesn't want to wallow in her masochism on her own.
Again, excellent TR. I always enjoy seeing my home park through different eyes. Looking forward to the final installment. I can't imagine what else you crammed into your whirlwind, sleep-deprived weekend.

Thanks! Yeah, it's definitely one of the most unique parks we've been to. We really enjoyed the place but it's very quirky.

bluestreak wrote:Enjoyed the last few reports as usual Bill. My aunt lives about 15 minutes from Great America. She's not a coaster person so she's never been and especially doesn't want to go now because she's afraid of the cluster f*** that the area might be since they put the new football stadium in.

That being said, I'm in the middle of planning a trip to stay with her and do CGA, SFDK, and maybe catch a San Jose Sharks game if I plan in the trip in the spring or fall.
Thanks for great looks at these parks to give me an idea of what I'm in for! Can't wait for the next updates!

Thanks. Enjoy your trip!

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:All is forgiven. They have penguins.

:lol: Exactly

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:Lol @ "SeaWorld on Meth"

Glad you guys got to do V2, there wasn't even a train on the track and they had a wall in front of the entrance when we were there. And yeah...also front half of the park still not open an hour past opening. :roll:

Thanks! Yeah, I was shocked that we actually managed to ride V2. I never expected that opportunity going in.

Postby coasterbill » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:50 am

Alright... now for the trip report to end all trip reports. On our trip to the west coast we had ridden some awesome coasters and seen some awesome things but on our final day we wanted to end with an amazing thrilling bang. We're talking 379 foot tall awesomeness here. Get ready, it's about to be poppin'

We had a really short weekend in Northern California and we had managed to cram in some San Francisco fun, a baseball game and two major theme parks. On our final day I considered doing Santa Cruz but honestly, we were in San Francisco and we wanted to do some San Francisco area things. This one is going to be brief-ish since I sort of feel like I'm going to lose some people here. :lol:

IMG_9512.JPG
Morning... lol

When I visited Northern California back in 2002 as a kid I remember stopping at Muir Woods. Brit didn't even know it was a thing, but since she's quite the tree-hugger I quietly reserved a parking spot (parking reservations are absolutely required now) and figured I had to take her there on our last day.

IMG_9551.JPG
Damn, those are some big f*cking trees

Muir Woods is a serene and amazing forest that feels like it's in the middle of nowhere but in reality is located just a short drive from the Golden Gate and downtown San Francisco. We had actually stayed in Vallejo the night before so we had about an hour and a half drive in the morning in rush hour traffic on the way to the woods which was sort of odd. A few minutes before you arrive you're convinced that your GPS is playing a trick on you, but you make a quick turn up a small mountain road, down into a quiet valley, entirely lose all cell service and feel as if (in the course of 10 minutes or so) you've entered a different world.

IMG_9516.JPG
Brit would have been super impressed with this chart, but she probably stopped reading at #3

IMG_9552.JPG
This place is gorgeous

IMG_9541.JPG
Pictures don't really do these trees justice. They're enormous.

Muir Woods has a pretty well traveled boardwalk, as well as a few hiking trails that shoot off from it. You can really spend anywhere between 2 hours and a full day depending on how much you're into hiking. We ended up spending about 2 to 2 1/2 hours which is probably sufficient for most people.

IMG_9544.JPG
Is anyone still awake?

IMG_9553.JPG
Brit was totally in her element...

IMG_9538.JPG
Even their root systems are cool

Muir Woods is a pretty amazing place. The unique climate of the area makes for a really unique ecosystem where the trees reach amazing heights to take advantage of the water provided by the frequent fog cover. Most of America's redwoods forests have been lost due to logging and Muir Woods almost suffered a similar fate with the valley being dammed and flooded by a land and water company. Thankfully Theodore Roosevelt and a few wealthy environmentalists prevented that from happening around the turn of the last century by buying up the land and donating it to the federal government to circumvent their sh*tty a** plans. For that we can all be thankful.

IMG_9557.JPG
... except you guys, because it means you had to sit through this tree trip report

IMG_9556.JPG
Okay, let's wrap this up before everyone falls asleep. Bye Muir Woods!

The drive to and from Muir Woods is incredibly scenic, so even the drive from the park to our next destination felt like a bit of an adventure. Northern California in general is one of the most scenic parts of America. I never grew tired of the awesome mountains with perfectly formed rows of trees. Every mountain looked like a ski resort in the summer with clumps of trees and empty trails between them from top to bottom but everything was created naturally for reasons that seem totally nonsensical.

We did it a few times on this trip but there's nothing cooler than driving towards San Francisco on 101 on a winding road on the base of those mountains and hills and then rounding a curve to reveal the towers of the Golden Gate Bridge. Each time we took that drive it felt like the first. It's a really cool visual, and when you approach from the north it's really an awesome welcome to the city.

Our final stop in San Francisco was more of the tourist trap type, but it's still a place that I really enjoy. Pier 39 has all of the usual tourist trap suspects and tons of souvenir shopping and restaurants but we didn't mind since we needed to load up on souvenirs anyway. There is one thing that really sets the pier apart from similar places in other cities though. I give you, the Piece de resistance...

IMG_9570.JPG
Sea lions!!!!

IMG_9569.JPG
So many sea lions!

Anyone who's been reading through this thread for awhile knows that I absolutely LOVE sea lions so Pier 39 is right up my alley. Despite the fact that the marina was pretty much overtaken by sea lions around 1989 and most of the boaters were pissed, the city decided to embrace it as a tourist destination and that decision seems to have been a good one. They've become a San Francisco icon, and people flock to the pier to see them. I can't say I blame them, Sea Lions are the greatest.

We shot a live video from the pier for anyone that needs their sea lion fix...

We stood around watching sea lions for awhile, but unfortunately our time in California started to run short so we walked around grabbing some last minute souvenirs and then decided to grab lunch at a Japanese place on the end of the pier before heading back to the airport.

IMG_9600.JPG
Lunch with a Golden Gate view. Cheers!

IMG_9586.JPG
Alcatraz can be spotted right off of the pier. Rumor has it this is where people go who take their phone out on Steel Vengeance.

While it was a really short trip, we had an absolute blast. With our late night Denver connection and overnight flight to Newark we were certainly feeling it at 5am when we had to make a 2 hour drive home on no sleep and then an almost immediate 30 minute drive to our 9-5 jobs after a quick "night's sleep" of an hour or so. It was borderline insane, but more than worth it. It was also good practice for our upcoming Texas trip where we'd have absolutely no sleep and a much further drive from the airport. That report is on the way, and don't worry... there won't be any tree reports from that weekend. There will be more sea lions though... :lol:
Last edited by coasterbill on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:57 am.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:57 am

Forests in the West are so damn amazing. Right up to the Washington/BC border.

Glad you and Brit got to enjoy this green part of the USofA, Bill. It's a breathtaking area, truth.

And yes, you are both insane for how you got back, slept little, and went back to work in very few hours! ;)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:15 am

How dare you actually experience the place you went to? Don't you know that's time you could have spent at theme parks? You're bad enthusiasts. :wink:

Seriously though, looks awesome. Muir Woods is a bucket list place for me, and I'm glad you really enjoyed it.

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby CoasterAuditor » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:02 pm

^ :lol: :lol: :lol: I actually consider theme parks a great "excuse" to check out cool places around the US.

Great reports Bill the Northern California parks look great. Shame you missed out on Railblazer but I'm sure we will see more of those soon.
I'm an accountant that's obsessed with roller coasters
Knoebels > Everywhere

1. El Toro 2. Intimidator 305 3. Phoenix 4. Millennium Force 5. New Texas Giant

118 Coasters
16 Parks

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!