TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

I wonder if they've ever asked Wyndham for a rebranding? It's all based on amenities, and not the actual quality of the hotel, which is why Wyndhams can vary a lot based on the individual franchisee. Could be a case where they don't want to offer one thing that would qualify them as a Days. Could also be they don't want the higher expectations that come with a higher tier of branding. Hotel customers can be just the worst, so setting those expectations low and then blowing them away is actually kinda genius.

Love Super 8! I am kinda Wyndham loyal because they have one of the best hotel rewards programs around. There are also some nice Days Inn's out there. Stayed at a few in Texas when I did a park tour down there. On the flip side I have stayed at some crappy Hilton and Marriott properties so brand has nothing to do with each hotel.

Love Super 8! I am kinda Wyndham loyal because they have one of the best hotel rewards programs around

We need to have a talk. lol

I have a membership in Hilton (credit card too), Wyndham, and IHG (work for this company). I try to stagger my stays between the brands and I seem to get the most rewards with Wyndham.

Out of those three you probably would. Choice blows them away depending on what you're looking for but it doesn't matter as much if you stick to nicer brands.

In short so I don't derail the thread; I hate the fact that there's a flat redemption rate of 15,000 points with Wyndham. A Super 8 should not be the same as Caesars Palace (minus resort fees). If you stick to high end brands it's fine because 15,000 points is totally reasonable, but if you jump around I just find that really weird and annoying. With Choice I could use points for a low end hotel if I want to and not get totally screwed. With Wyndham you really can't. Like... even if you had a boatload of points you would be insane to use them for that Super 8 in Danville.

Out of those three you probably would. Choice blows them away depending on what you're looking for but it doesn't matter as much if you stick to nicer brands.

In short so I don't derail the thread; I hate the fact that there's a flat redemption rate of 15,000 points with Wyndham. A Super 8 should not be the same as Caesars Palace (minus resort fees). If you stick to high end brands it's fine because 15,000 points is totally reasonable, but if you jump around I just find that really weird and annoying. With Choice I could use points for a low end hotel if I want to and not get totally screwed. With Wyndham you really can't. Like... even if you had a boatload of points you would be insane to use them for that Super 8 in Danville.

I need to look into Choice more. I always feel like they do not have locations everywhere like other brands. That is the reason I have stayed away from them.

I am also pretty loyal to Motel 6. Ever since they have have redone most of their hotels they have become pretty decent.

After my first trip to the park was derailed for injury last summer I am healed and making another attempt next week. I was planning on driving up from MD to get there for opening and then hammer home at the end of the day. Should I just stay at the Danville Super 8?

Sorry to interrupt the Super8 discussion, but Phoenix is running fine.

Well Larry, you tried. I appreciate it.

After my first trip to the park was derailed for injury last summer I am healed and making another attempt next week. I was planning on driving up from MD to get there for opening and then hammer home at the end of the day. Should I just stay at the Danville Super 8?

Where do you live in Maryland? As long as you don't live all the way down near Washington or over near Cumberland, you can get to the park in three hours. Leave your house at 8 AM, be there from 11 AM to 6 PM, be home at 9 PM. Super-easy, and that's the worst-case scenario in my opinion. You can push your hours at Knoebels from like... 1 PM to 8 PM if you want to ride the rides in the dark and you don't mind staying up late.

Hey Larry, you won that time!

I like the International Food Court and I know you can basically take your food anywhere but I prefer some of the places in the forested / seculded middle of the park like Cesari's, the round stand and The Old Mill.

I am now in a deep depression knowing it will be quite a while before we go back to Knoebels. Emily and I had an incredible experience yesterday. I’m sure I’ll post a TR one of these years.

Thanks for all of the tips, guys.

From July 5th to July 9th, my Mom and I had visited four amusement parks in the US Northeast, those being Great Escape (Six Flags), Six Flags New England, Six Flags Great Adventure (Day 3 & Day 4), and Knoebels. Below is my trip report for my first ever visit to Knoebels on July 9th, 2018. Going to Knoebels on the final day of our trip was an excellent way to end our trip! They have an amazing collection of roller coasters and classic and vintage flat rides. I greatly enjoyed Knoebels and definitely want to visit again one day soon!

IMG_2714.JPG After arriving at Knoebels and redeeming my all-day ride wristband I had rode the Flying Turns wooden bobsled coaster and the Log Flume. Both were very fun and enjoyable!

Knoebels-%2BLog%2BFlume%2BOn%2BRide%2BPhoto.jpg

Here is an on-ride photo of me on the Log Flume at Knoebels.

IMG_2602.JPG Once I had finished riding the Flying Turns and the Log Flume, it was time to go ride the legendary Phoenix. As many of us know, the Phoenix dates back to 1947 where it had opened at Playland Park of San Antonio, Texas as the "Rocket". It continued to operate there until the park closed in 1980. Thankfully, Knoebels had purchased and relocated this classic wooden double out-and-back Philadelphia Toboggan Coaster in early 1985. By June 1985, the Phoenix had opened at Knoebels and has been thrilling riders ever since. it sure has an abundance of airtime due to the combination of airtime hills and buzz bar restraints!

IMG_2603.JPG After a ride on the Phoenix and a few classic rides thereafter, it was now time to ride the Twister. As the name implies, this is one twisted wooden roller coaster! While many twisted wooden roller coasters can be rough, the Twister was very smooth as Knoebels takes pride in maintaining and preserving their wooden roller coasters.

IMG_2604.JPG The Twister is a high speed wooden roller coaster that is modeled after the defunct Mr. Twister at the original Elitch Gardens of Denver, Colorado.

IMG_2605.JPG I found Twister to be an amazing wooden roller coaster as it has 3,900 feet of twisted track consisting of two lift hills, a drop of nearly 90 feet, and a maximum speed of approximately 51 mph (83 km/h), making for a fast-paced ride!

IMG_2715.JPG Knoebels is home to many classic and vintage flat rides. One of them is the amazingly fun Allen Herschell Looper! Here I am pictured on it as the ride begins to spin.

IMG_2716.JPG Although I had to wait a while for another single rider in order to ride the Looper, the wait was definitely worth it! I had managed to flip upside down about six times, which is not bad for a first run!

IMG_2607.JPG After a few more classic rides, I went over to the Black Diamond. It was a fun and unique dark ride/ roller coaster, which I greatly enjoyed. I am glad that the Knoebel family saved this one of a kind Philadelphia Toboggan Company steel roller coaster from being scrapped!

IMG_2718.JPG Here I am taking a spin on the beautiful and classic 1913 Grand Carousel, which has been operating at Knoebels since 1948.

IMG_2608.JPG Here is the Grand Carousel under its shelter from a distance. It is very detailed and nicely maintained. Of interest, it is one of only a few carousels to have an operational brass ring dispenser which passengers can try to grab as they ride around on the Grand Carousel.

IMG_2719.JPG Here is another rare vintage thrill ride, the Satellite.

IMG_2721.JPG The Satellite is a Roll-O-Plane ride that was manufactured by Eyerly. Riders are loaded into one of four two-passenger cockpits. As the ride begins to operate, the arm holding the cockpits rotates in a vertical clockwise and counter-clockwise position, allowing the cockpits to swivel and dive-bomb without flipping upside down. After that, the arm holding the cockpits then positions horizontally to allow for more side-winding, dive-bombing fun. The arm the returns to its vertical position in order to unload and load passengers.

IMG_2609.JPG The Satellite is a very fun and somewhat intense ride which I would recommend to anyone who is into classic rides like I am!

IMG_2610.JPG Here is a look up at the 110 foot Giant Wheel. The gondolas are most definitely colourful!

IMG_2611.JPG In addition to the Log Flume, another water ride at Knoebels is Sklooosh!, a large splash boat ride that gets passengers and by-standers soaked! It was quite fun and sure cooled me off!

IMG_2612.JPG After taking a ride on the classic Merry Mixer, 1001 Nachts, and a ride on the modern Power Surge, it was time to slow things down a bit with a ride on the relaxing Scenic Skyride.

IMG_2613.JPG After taking a ride up the mountain in a ski lift chair, you crest the top of the mountain to turn around and head down again.

IMG_2614.JPG As you go back down the hill on the Scenic Skyride, the views only begin to get better...

IMG_2615.JPG Since my Mom doesn't like heights, I made sure to get some great views of Knoebels from above for her to check out safely on the ground! Here is the Twister from the Scenic Skyride.

IMG_2616.JPG To my left you could see the compact and fun Impulse steel roller coaster with the Giant Wheel standing prominently behind.

IMG_2617.JPG To my far right you could see a bit of the Phoenix poking out above the surrounding trees.

IMG_2618.JPG Also from the Scenic Skyride you could see the 1001 Nachts ride rise high above the trees, before it lowers, providing some stomach flipping fun!

IMG_2620.JPG In addition to classic rides, Knoebels is home to some more modern thrills such as the StratosFear. This drop tower, manufactured by ARM stands 130 feet tall and drops without warning. While on the smaller side, it still provides a great amount of airtime!

IMG_2621.JPG Knoebels also has some very nice landscaping, including these planters placed along the fence of Flying Turns.

IMG_2622.JPG Another unique attraction at Knoebels is the Christmas Cottage, a gift shop selling various types of Christmas decorations. Out front is an 'authentic North Pole' made using real ice! I just had to make sure my Mom got a photo with it!

IMG_2623.JPG The Flying Turns was my first roller coaster ride at Knoebels earlier that day. The Flying Turns is a fun and unique wooden Bobsled coaster that no one should miss when visiting Knoebels!

IMG_2624.JPG Here is the truly amazing Flyer, one of the fastest Flying Scooter rides in operation! You sure get a lot of swooping and diving one these ones! The Flyer is definitely a classic and iconic ride at Knoebels. Speaking of iconic rides, be sure to check out the Lusse Auto Scooters (Bumper Cars) during your visit to Knoebels! They are the most violent bumper cars around! You won't be disappointed!

IMG_2625.JPG Here is a look at the Zierer manufactured steel roller coaster, Impulse. The Impulse opened at Knoebels in 2015. It features a 98 foot tall vertical lift and drop and four inversions within its compact layout.

IMG_2626.JPG While the vertical lift hill may seem intimidating to some riders, the first drop on Impulse is quite intense and filled with some airtime!

IMG_2627.JPG As the sun started to go down, the park came alive with many lights on the rides and buildings.

IMG_2628.JPG Shortly before this photo, I had met up with some friends at the park and rode the Twister together. After my second ride on the Twister, we got a photo of ourselves in front of the Twister.

IMG_2629.JPG Another unique attraction is the Sky Slide, a Spiral Slide that has operated at Knoebels for many years. It gives a nice ride on a mat as you spiral down towards the ground.

IMG_2630.JPG Here is a look at the night life at Knoebels with the Downdraft and 1001 Nachts two of the many rides that stand out after dark in the park.

IMG_2631.JPG Here is the fun and thrilling Power Surge. This ride flips passengers heads-over-heels many times throughout the duration of the ride. The Power Surge also has a very nice light package.

IMG_2632.JPG Here is the Twister with its chaser lights turned on full tilt! Watching them made it seem as if someone had hit the fast-forward button!

IMG_2633.JPG With only 40 minutes left before closure, my Mom and I made our way over to the Phoenix so that way I could get a night ride on it before heading out! Here is the iconic neon Knoebels sign found along the path.

IMG_2634.JPG After catching an amazing night ride on the Phoenix, it was time to leave and head to our hotel for the night. The chaser lights definitely make wooden coasters look like true classics!

IMG_2636.JPG On our way to the parking lot, I captured this fast moving shot of the Impulse in the dark! The car was just a blur as it passed through the loop! I hope you enjoyed looking at our first visit to Knoebels!