TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

At the park in line for Twisted Timbers. They're only running one train and it looks to be about a 45 minute wait. Someone with an RMC shirt is walking around the maintenance areas and on the transfer track. There's also 2 sets of brake fins on a workbench next to the transfer track. My guess is they're in the process of installing more agressive brakes.

I tried looking up the graveyards on the property but couldn't find anything. I find this incredibly fascinating! Could someone please provide me with more information/pictures? Cemetery enthusiasm is second to my roller coaster enthusiasm lol!

Slightly off topic but if your into grave sites you should look into the two graves in the middle of the Savannah airport runway.

Also I went to the park last Friday and the workers were saying they were doing a wheel change on the trains is why they were on single train ops.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi TPR,

As a stop on my summer trip, I'll be visiting Kings Dominion on Tuesday, July 17th. How should crowds be? Is there a good itinerary for how to get each credit, and are there any notable non-coaster rides that I should check out?

Thanks!

I think I'd hit Twisted Timbers first. Normally, I'd recommend Volcano, due to its capacity, but I think it's currently down for the count. You shouldn't have any big problems on a weekday. The park has a shooting dark ride, too (Boo Blasters) and a decent log ride.

Edited by cfc

^^ I agree with Chuck, Boo Blasters is a lot of fun (it's kind of hidden near Snoopyville) and also air conditioned. The Shenandoah log flume is really nice and won't get you soaked. Rebel Yell (Racer 75) is running fantastically well this year so don't skip it and if you are looking for another AC break the show by the Cirque Dreams Origins show by the antique cars/Grizzly is pretty good. The Eiffel Tower has great views. Make sure to stay super hydrated, the park is really hot and especially in areas where it's pavement and just reflects the heat back up at you.

Hi just wanted to do a quick trip report from two weeks ago. My family of four went on Monday the 25th for the day. We got there for opening and went to wait for Twisted Timbers. Dominator and the Drop Tower were open for ERT and the boys did that. My DD and I were talking to a security guard while waiting at the rope. I was asking her about Volcano and she gave us some information. She said Volcano will be down the rest of the season. They were thinking about whether they were going to fix it or take it down. It seems some expensive part isn't working on it. They have decided to fix it. It can be taken at face value and it could be just another guess on an employee's part but I felt like she knew what she was talking about.

The park was empty today. We went right to Twisted Timbers and got on in about 15 minutes. They were only running one train the entire day. The ride was really good, it was so different from Wicked Cyclone. We had the last car and we had good air time. My DD and I can't marathon rides so we took a break after we rode. We went on Apple Zapple. This had about a 10 minute wait. I had to drag the teens on they didn't want to go. I really enjoyed this mouse coaster. It was different from the ones at 6 flags. We then went to the antique cars, I have nostalgia for them and they were nice ones. The boys did Flight of Fear, my DD and I skipped it. I was concerned the elements were to close together for me. This was a little longer wait. I would say about 20 minutes.

We took a break for lunch and went to the mac and cheese restaurant. We all got mac and cheese but I split a salad bowl with someone too. I thought the food was good but a little more money than I normally spend on food. We do have a dining plan with six flags. However, I would eat there again. Yes, I can confirm still only one protein unless you want to pay more.

After lunch we went on Avalanche. We had about a 10 minute wait. What a fun coaster this is. I have not been on one in years. We then decided to hit I305, the ride I have been waiting for. There was nobody in line or the station house. We got on the first train when we walked up. We picked the last car, we tend to ride in the back of coasters we like the speed. We went up the hill and came down then right after I felt weird. I saw like grey cloud. I felt dizzy and out of it the rest of the ride. When we got to the break run and were waiting to go into the station I talked with my family. It seems DD had a couple of second black out. The boys had a grey out like me. We were sitting there for a few minutes when we noticed they were emptying the train ahead in the station. They closed the queue and we sat in the sun on the track for about 20 minutes. It was close to 90 degrees. Once we got into the station they gave us cups of water and were checking us out for heat exhaustion or dehydration. Everyone was fine and we exited. I was upset about the grey out. I didn't expect it. I have ridden all the tallest, fastest coasters and never have had a problem. It must have been the way the track went and the speed just got us. We didn't ride again we just didn't feel right after that.

We met some real nice employees. I had one offer to take some pictures of us. He really got into it. He had us posing in funny poses.

We walked around a bit and the boys did the Drop Tower. I stayed off and normally I enjoy them. We took some pics in the park did some shopping then left about 4:00. We have season passes for Cedar point so this did cost us anything. We did this stop on our way to Florida.

Overall I enjoyed the park. We will visit again. I thought Twisted Timbers was great and I can't wait to go on Steel Vengeance in August.

Glad you had such a nice visit to the park, bobbie68! Kings Dominion has a really nice wild mouse and it's great to see it getting a lot of attention this season. Their antique cars are pretty nice and Avalanche bobsled is a lot of fun. If you were concerned about Flight of Fear having elements too close together then it's good you skipped it because they are one on top of the other.

I am curious as to whether you were aware ahead of time that people more often than not grey out on Intimidator305? Or did you know about it and it just surprised you that it happened? I rode it 11x on opening day - this was before they reprofiled the first turn at the bottom of the big drop - and while it was intense, I did not grey out. Ever since they reprofiled the turn that first year I grey out no matter what silly fighter pilot technique I use to try to keep my blood flowing normally. They tried to make it so the G forces were less intense in that turn and in the process drew out how long the turn is and made it even more intense, in my opinion. I am no old fogey but the ride takes a lot out of me so is often one-and-done especially when it's so hot out. Anyway, it is not just you and I'm sorry to hear it was a shock to your system. Hopefully you're all recovered now! Will you be visiting any other parks on your way down to Florida?

Glad you had such a nice visit to the park, bobbie68! Kings Dominion has a really nice wild mouse and it's great to see it getting a lot of attention this season. Their antique cars are pretty nice and Avalanche bobsled is a lot of fun. If you were concerned about Flight of Fear having elements too close together then it's good you skipped it because they are one on top of the other.

I am curious as to whether you were aware ahead of time that people more often than not grey out on Intimidator305? Or did you know about it and it just surprised you that it happened? I rode it 11x on opening day - this was before they reprofiled the first turn at the bottom of the big drop - and while it was intense, I did not grey out. Ever since they reprofiled the turn that first year I grey out no matter what silly fighter pilot technique I use to try to keep my blood flowing normally. They tried to make it so the G forces were less intense in that turn and in the process drew out how long the turn is and made it even more intense, in my opinion. I am no old fogey but the ride takes a lot out of me so is often one-and-done especially when it's so hot out. Anyway, it is not just you and I'm sorry to hear it was a shock to your system. Hopefully you're all recovered now! Will you be visiting any other parks on your way down to Florida?

Hi thank you so much! I had heard a long time ago about people having problems with that turn before they fixed it. I haven't heard anything since then. You are the first person that I heard had problems. I am glad it wasn't me getting to old for the rides In that sense it did surprise me and I usually am one to like to know something like that. I think being stuck on the brake run all that time in the heat didn't help our experience. I know my DD is afraid to go back on I am not sure if I will yet. Thanks for the details though on what they did. It makes sense why you, and my family and any others can have that.

We did recover but it kind of just took the wind out of our sails for the day! I will get back there again hopefully when I do Volcano will be back up. We really liked that ride a few years ago.

We drove straight through after that and spent 5 days at Universal. This is one of our favorite parks, so it w as nice to get back there. We were suppose to stop at Carowinds on the way home but after I305 my daughter was a little hesitant to go on Fury325. That was the main reason to stop there. We also changed hotels so much that the thought of doing two more for a couple of hours didn't appeal to me. I hope to get there at some point. I hear great things about that ride.

I will be going to Cedar Point next month, so I will get to ride some of my favorite coasters at a park.

The Shenandoah log flume is really nice and won't get you soaked.

That's what they all say! Don't listen to them!!! You're gonna drown!

Slightly related story - I met some friends at Disney's California Adventure and they insisted that they ride Grizzly River Run in the evening. I had driven myself, and I knew that the ride would get you completely drenched, and I didn't want to drive home in soggy shorts. I tried to talk them out of it yet they persisted, saying "oh, you don't get THAT wet", so I stayed behind as the bag lady. They got off the ride totally soaked, and one of them came up to me and said, "wow, you were right".

Moral of the story: If a ride says "you may get wet", you will. If a ride says, "you will get wet", bring a change of clothes.

Had a great first day at KD yesterday. Some quick thoughts on the rides...

-Intimidator 305 might be the most intense coaster I’ve ever ridden. I greyed-out on the first turn as expected, and after that experienced a relentless layout full of speed and forces.

-Twisted Timbers was a fantastic RMC with a great first drop, lots of intense turns and inversions, and plentiful ejector air. It’s probably my favorite ride in the park, but I think I need a few more rides on it and i305 to confirm that opinion.

-Dominator is probably my favorite of the three B&M floorless coasters I’ve ridden (others being Kraken and Rougarou). Very smooth and forceful all the way around.

-Flight of Fear and Backlot Stunt Coaster felt mostly the same as their Kings Island counterparts, though this FOF was certainly a lot smoother.

-Grizzly was an unexpected surprise. A fun ride with some nice airtime moments and wasn’t that rough.

-Anaconda actually wasn’t that bad. Then again, I was bracing for every transition.

-Avalanche was my first bobsled coaster and I enjoyed it, pulled some decent forces in most of the turns.

-Racer 75/Rebel Yell was a bit disappointing, pretty forceless all around with little to no airtime, though the racing aspect was fun.

-Apple Zapple was a standard Mack Wild Mouse but still enjoyable.

-Probably won’t get to ride Volcano on this trip but it’s definitely nice to look at.

Edited by VF15

^

I did ride Shenandoah earlier today . Nice location, relaxing ride, and didn’t get too wet.

The park has been pretty slow attendance-wise these past two days, the longest I’ve waited for anything was 10 minutes for the flume. Is KD usually this quiet on summer weekdays?