TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TR - The Door Into Summer - 2 humans, a cat, and coasters

I'm finishing up my Busch Gardens TR and should have it posted by tomorrow but something I read today reminded me of a place we visited a few years ago called Tinkertown http://tinkertown.com/ in New Mexico. I thought some of you might enjoy checking out this awesomely crazy place that was created by an artist named Ross Ward who was a show painter for carnivals for over 30 years, traveling the country painting on all the major carnival shows and in winter quarters from Texas to Florida.

We actually weren't planning on visiting Tinkertown, but we'd ridden up to the top of Sandia Crest and got talking to a guy up there who "used to ride" and who told us if we liked weird and cool stuff we should check out this funky museum on our way back towards town. We had time and it sounded interesting so we plugged it into the GPS and headed back through the twisties to see the creations of a truly twisted mind (I mean that as a compliment).

tinkertown_41_7990724899_o.jpg

The entrance to Tinkertown is just a wide spot on a winding mountain road.

tinkertown_29_7990713695_o.jpg

The gate gives you a glimpse of what’s to come. This place isn’t just folk art, Mr. Ward had a wry sense of humor and a philosopher’s way with words.

tinkertown_27_7990721004_o.jpg

Noted!

tinkertown_33_7990726526_o.jpg

Walk past this amazing wall and the entrance (and gift shop) are to your left.

tinkertown_7_7990691757_o.jpg

We’re sure glad it did!

tinkertown_8_7990692675_o.jpg

This place is already awesome and we haven’t even gone inside yet.

tinkertown_5_7990690051_o.jpg

Wander up this hall a little further…

tinkertown_11_7990704768_o.jpg

And you’re greeted by dozens of incredibly detailed dioramas, all hand carved and painted by Mr. Ward, many with moving parts.

tinkertown_10_7990703780_o.jpg

tinkertown_12_7990696849_o.jpg

Tiny little humans living out their fun little lives doing all sorts of jobs and activities from engineers to circus freaks.

tinkertown_18_7990711516_o.jpg

tinkertown_16_7990700703_o.jpg

tinkertown_17_7990701525_o.jpg

tinkertown_1_7990381022_o.jpg

Some of them are funny, some are a little “off”, then some sign will make you stop and think.

tinkertown_21_7990714776_o.jpg

tinkertown_35_7990719215_o.jpg

This circus display was massive.

tinkertown_19_7990712782_o.jpg

But what drew me the most was Mr. Ward’s cutting wit

tinkertown_13_7990697715_o.jpg

There’s more art thisaway.

tinkertown_24_7990708439_o.jpg

All displayed for you to see.

tinkertown_32_7990725452_o.jpg

This one still makes me feel guilty for all the time I waste in front of screens!

tinkertown_36_7990719963_o.jpg

tinkertown_34_7990718341_o.jpg

Yes it is! At least when Ross Ward was creating it.

We left hours later with smiles on our faces and a little sadness in our hearts wishing we could have met the man that created such a wonderful place, sadly he was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's at the age of 57 and passed away in 2002. We are just happy he left such an amazing legacy and that his family is keeping the place alive.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG> . LOVE the pics of Tinkertown.

a place I'd heard of in the past, but have never gotten to see, or visit.

this TR thread is awesome . . so glad you joined up on TPR pfalcioni!

OMG> . LOVE the pics of Tinkertown.

a place I'd heard of in the past, but have never gotten to see, or visit.

this TR thread is awesome . . so glad you joined up on TPR pfalcioni!

Thanks so much! It's a pleasure sharing this stuff with people who appreciate it. If you're ever in New Mexico, definitely add Tinkertown to your itinerary, I know you guys would love it.

So, I’ll put this out there right at the start of this report, I love the hell out of this park. I love it so much I wrote the book on it.

cover_for_kindle.jpg

Literally.

Admittedly, it’s not a very good book, but waaay back in 2015 for a short time it was #1 in Travel/Tampa on Amazon. As an aside, if you’re thinking about earning a little money by writing a travel book, I’m here to tell you that “little money” thing is exceedingly, painfully, accurate.

So anywhoo, I just wanted to get this out of the way so you know this report will be totally biased because I think this place is the perfect mix of coasters and animals.

DSC05475.jpg

Well that, and this bird stole my wallet and wouldn’t give it back unless I said nice things about the park.

I also want to mention that some of these photos are from previous visits (I didn’t take many pics this time).

We have 2 park days in the park, Mike joined me on the first day and I did a solo run the second day while Mike spent all our money at antique stores in the area.

Day one saw us at the gates before rope drop, chatting with a bunch of retirees from all over the country. Nothing makes me feel younger than a rope drop at Busch when they’ve got the Real Music concerts going on. These free concerts feature popular 1960’s groups. This, paired with really inexpensive annual passes, means every day is Senior Day when there’s a concert happening.

20180125_094547.jpg

Honestly, I think we’re the youngest people here right now.

DSC05390.jpg

Sooooo many white tennis shoes and sweater sets.

Mike usually loves zoos and anything to do with animals (that’s probably no surprise, considering our travel companion), but he really wasn’t feeling it today. Back in October he was riding his bicycle and some idiot ran a stop sign and really messed up our fall riding season. Along with broken ribs and bone chips in his elbow and ankle, Mike’s worst injury was a broken pelvis. Fortunately it didn’t require surgery, but unfortunately it was taking ages to heal. All the walking required at a theme park was causing pain, which required pain meds, which made Mike sleepy. So I didn’t get in nearly as many rides as I usually do, but fortunately Busch is lots of fun even if you’re just riding the train around all afternoon.

Of course that’s not what we wasted rope drop on! We headed right over to Cheetah Hunt, only to be stopped by a Greeter Cat. He’s sitting right at the glass just calmly watching the humans in the human zoo.

20180124_100130.jpg

Hello, welcome to Busch Gardens, would you like to see me run really really fast?

After losing the staring contest, I headed off to ride, Mike found a nice bench for a homeless-person-napping session.

I loves me some Cheetah Hunt, and I love it even more when I can loop it multiple times before the crowds hit. This morning I lucked out and got about 5 rides in before any kind of line started forming.

20180125_165941.jpg

20180125_105210.jpg

Pretty, pretty airtime machine.

Next stop Montu, which is one of the few inverts with standard restraints that I can ride multiple times with no head-bangey brain pain. Such a fun and forceful flight!

Before going back to collect Mike I gave the new (to me) Cobra’s Curse a spin. Actually, I wish I had been able to give it a spin, this spinning coaster is decidedly lacking in spinney-ness, although it does a good job of fitting a family-friendly niche that was lacking at Busch, besides the cool lift mechanism, the ride itself is pretty meh to me.

Before leaving the area we caught the awesomeness that is Cheetah Run.

DSC05403.jpg

It’s incredible to see these cats at full-tilt-boogie, but also really cool to see how the handlers interact with their cat buddies.

20180124_151139.jpg

In keeping with the cat theme, we spent some time with these guys, who take the art of relaxation to a whole other level.

P1150227.jpg

As much as I like cats, I will admit that the hyena exhibit is one of my favorites in the park. On our first visit years ago this was one of the first exhibits we saw, coming around a corner we were suddenly face-to-face with one of these puppos and suddenly I realized that objects on tv were sometimes not nearly as large or lethal looking as they are in real life. Dang, they’re scary as heck.

20180125_153601.jpg

Scary even when they’re doing goofy dog things.

Next we headed towards Walkabout Way, hoping that an early morning visit would garner hungrier kangas and thirstier lorikeets. We usually do this stuff in the late afternoon and have mixed results, I thought I’d beat the system this time and we’d be mobbed by wide-awake and starving beasties ready to exchange great photo ops for treats.

20180124_115125.jpg

Denied!

The hoppers were all sleeping and the birds all should have had names like Bitey and Grumpy. I guess it’s more the luck of the draw. I’d recommend walking inside the enclosures to see if the animals are interacting before you spend $$ on food.

Fortunately, we’d had other trips with tons of great interactions.

DSC05448.jpg

P1150222.jpg

Although I think this wallaby still has Mike’s watch.

This area is one of the prettiest in the park and it’s usually overlooked due to its lack of major attractions.

20180125_132419.jpg

We’ve had the best luck with random interaction opportunities over here, from birds to sloths.

DSC05428.jpg

P1150230.jpg

Plus this little microcosm of Australian Outback houses some of the weirdest birds I’ve ever seen.

20180125_131510.jpg

Because Mike wasn’t really into much more walking, we decided to pay the extra $$ for the Serengeti Safari, which we’ve done a few times before. I think this is such a good deal for $29pp, over at Animal Kingdom encounters like this start at $70 and go waaaay up from there.

P1150249.jpg

Obligatory giraffe photo op.

We were also treated to an Extra Magic Moment between a couple of zebras.

P1150279.jpg

“Let me show you the dance of my people”

After our R-rated safari, we wandered over to the Elephant enclosure and had fun watching them totally destroy a bunch of toys and interactive stuff the handlers had spent a lot of time setting up.

DSC05532.jpg

It was nearing park close and Mike was definitely done with walking so we headed back to our La Quinta for the night.

The next morning Mike dropped me off at the park entrance and I was totally excited to start my first solo park day of this trip. I love solo park days, I’m a loner at heart and I’m also a selfish wench so the ability to ride whatever I want whenever I want is pretty awesome.

I spent most of the day looping faves and wandering through the animal exhibits. I even took time to visit the Animal Care Center and see a veterinarian stitch up a wild pelican that had tangled with a fishing hook. It was fascinating and educational, and I learned how much Busch does for the local wildlife, taking in and healing hundreds of birds and other animals every year before re-releasing them to the wild.

But hovering over everything I did was this thing…

20180125_112511.jpg

Yeah, I see you there Falcon’s Fury, taunting my fear of heights and general wimpy-ness.

So here’s the deal, I’m terrified of heights. I can get weak-kneed and woozy just standing in our backyard (I have an excuse, there’s a 300’ deep canyon back there). I know we all have something we’re scared of, mine just happens to be heights. And spiders. And human interaction. And did I mention heights? Yeah. So, I’m also stubborn and I hate being a wimp. So I ride things like Insanity at the top of the Stratosphere in Vegas, and I make myself do drop towers with my eyes open, even though the entire time I wish I was anywhere but in that seat -- until the ride is over and the adrenaline rush is so intense it’s awesome!

I’d ignored Falcon’s Fury long enough, so after lunch at Zambia Smokehouse (smelled better than it tasted, but it wasn’t awful) I forced my feet to walk this way…

20180125_161231.jpg

Hello there…

And got my wimpy ass in line.

20180125_155816.jpg

Where they promptly closed the ride due to wind and I got to wait an additional 15 agonizing minutes before sitting my fat butt in those comfy seats and being lifted into the air thinking, “gosh, what a beautiful view, this isn’t bad at all…” then the seat rotated and I’m staring at the ground for what feels like a full minute while I’m screaming a mantra in my head “just drop!!!just drop!!!just drop!!!” and finally I feel blessed weightlessness as the ground races up to meet my face and whoosh it’s over. Yahooo! What a great ride!

As a reward for not being a fraidy-cat, I spent some quality time with Mr. Schwarzcopf and his little Scorpion. I loves me some Anton loops and helices. The only problem with this coaster is its short length, which is resolved by re-riding multiple times with no wait.

Tajah is a big fan too!

Busch_Gardens.jpg

I also spent some time hauling my fat butt through the Treetop Trails, I love the views from the top of the towers and it’s fun when there’s not a huge crowd of kids that have to wait for me to lumber out of their way.

DSC05516.jpg

Theoretically I’m supposed to be accompanied by a child here, does “childish” count?

The sun was getting low on the horizon and Mike had bought every vintage motorcycle-related tchotchke in a 30-mile radius and was headed back to pick me up, so I started walking towards the exit. I dawdled a little while watching these guys frustratedly discussing plans on what to do about the giant thief that was currently chowing down on their dinner...

20180125_104501.jpg

...then headed for the gates.

Another great Busch Gardens trip ended, but we had Orlando fun starting the next day, so I wasn’t totally bummed.

Here’s my Ride and Attraction ratings for BGT:

Rides:

1. Cheetah Hunt - This coaster has the two things I love in a ride, speed and airtime. It’s not intense by any stretch of the imagination, but it’s hella fun.

2. Montu - Forceful without being painful, I love every element of this coaster.

3. SheiKra - I love dive towers, I know they’re one trick ponies but they’re a thrilling trick. I’d probably still put this in the #2 position if the darned thing wouldn’t be closed for refurb every time I’m at the park!

4. Scorpion - Schwarzkopf. Yeah baby.

5. Falcon’s Fury - This is now my #2 drop tower (#1 is still SFMM Lex Luthor)

6. Cobra’s Curse - It’s not a bad ride, it’s just not that fun or exciting.

7. Kumba - Fun, forceful, but a little too head-bangey for re-rides.

8. Skyride - Best views in the park.

9. Serengeti Railway - Second best views in the park, the only way to really view the Serengeti plains without an upcharge Safari.

10. Sand Serpent - I usually like wild mouse rides, this one is just uncomfortable and un-fun.

Shows:

Opening Night Critters - Ubiquitous rescue-animal show similar to the ones you’ll see at Universal and other parks, it’s cute but forgettable.

Animal Exhibits:

1. Hyenas - I haven’t been to another zoo that has up-close viewing of hyenas like they have here.

2. Cheetahs - Lots of zoos have cheetahs, you can usually see them sleeping on warming rocks waaaay in the distance. Busch puts the cats front and center and they seem to thrive in this active environment.

3. Kangaroos and Wallabies - Catch them at the right time and you’ll get all sorts of awesome interaction.

4. Animal Care Center - If you’re not squeamish, stop in here for some dark air-conditioned education.

5. Serengeti Plain - It’s a little strange that the park’s largest area is also the most difficult to view. The old Rhino Rally was a super way to interact with this area, but that’s long gone. The train is as close as you’ll get now unless you want to pay for a safari.

Great report! I'm jealous you visited on a day where you were able to marathon Cheetah Hunt like that. Everyone ran there at rope drop the two times I've been there at opening and it already has a 30 minute queue by the time I finish my first ride. At least I can still marathon Montu any time of day.

Amazing report!

The Cheetahs are one of the best things about this park, they’re absolutely amazing animals. That action shot you got is insane.

Thanks! Shooting motorcycle racing has given me lots of practice. The main challenge was the camera which was just a little Canon point & shoot, I had it on burst and just kept panning the action, only one shot in the series came out.

Oh man I love this update. I have spent far too little time at this park and I need to go back like yesterday. Cheetah Hunt is absolutely the best ride in the park.

Keep em coming!

Amazing report!

The Cheetahs are one of the best things about this park, they’re absolutely amazing animals. That action shot you got is insane.

Thanks! Shooting motorcycle racing has given me lots of practice. The main challenge was the camera which was just a little Canon point & shoot, I had it on burst and just kept panning the action, only one shot in the series came out.

Great shot of the sloth also, they move quick.

After an easy morning drive from Tampa we arrived at our Orlando house, I was a little nervous about this place because it’s the first time I’d ever used VRBO and the rental had been on the market for just a few months so it only had two reviews, but it was one of only 3 rentals in our price range that accepted cats and the only one that was a home rather than a condo. Another added plus was that the owners were extremely accommodating, they thought of everything including asking if we’d like them to buy a litter box and cat litter for Tajah. I mean seriously, they were almost too nice. I began wondering if it was some sort of plot to trap us into a sex slave ring or something but then I realized I’m a fat middle-aged lady, no one’s gonna pay for a piece of me unless they’re cannibals who like aged meat or something.

Anywhoo, pulling up to our home for the next 2 weeks looked a bit uninspiring from the outside,

c57cb73e_a5a0_48ea_9d59_2f6e584739d4_c10.jpg

But inside was pretty darned awesome!

94c13ebf_aa53_4218_9545_8935389bbea6_c10.jpg

Tajah usually takes awhile to get comfortable in a new place, but it was like she knew this would be home for awhile and instantly settled in for some serious kitty R&R (sleeping, eating, sleeping, more sleeping, ear scritches, sleeping).

20180207_184543.jpg

We set her up with all the comforts of home and headed off to make a Walmart and Publix run. I think we may have overdone it a bit…

20180126_162956_15.jpg

So, this is for us and whose army?

We got everything unloaded, made a few drinks and spent the evening relaxing by the pool.

20180210_070432.jpg

I could get used to this.

We headed to bed pretty early because we knew we’d be up before daylight in the morning.

Years ago I read a trip report here on TPR about a day at Discovery Cove, I thought it looked amazing but I figured it wasn’t ever going to happen for me because of a few reasons, mainly time constraints and cost. Also, Mike is one of those crazy people who absolutely can’t sit still for a second so “relaxing vacations” don’t really happen for us -- until this trip. I had the trifecta of time, a husband that was sore and achy so relaxing sounded less like torture to him, and money - Discovery Cove was offering the 14-day deal that included Busch Gardens, Aquatica, Sea World, 1 day at Discovery Cove and free parking, all for about $200 per person -- an amazing deal considering a day at DC runs about $150. Oh heck yeah I’m taking advantage of that!

Mike still wasn’t that thrilled about the prospect of laying on a lounge chair sipping cheap beer, but I told him that because of the ticket deal we were actually saving money by spending a day here. (I know, it’s totally Disney math, but he bought it).

Fortunately the weather was going to be cooperative today, with a high of around 80 and no wind in the forecast.

20180127_070855.jpg

Yay for Florida Winter Weather!

We checked in and received our lanyards, I loved that they had a map and all the information we’d need to enjoy our day printed right on them.

20180129_102644.jpg

20180129_102629.jpg

Mike was still a little grumpy about the whole situation, especially when the first 2 hours were basically taken up with him drinking coffee and asking “why did we have to get here so early, and why aren’t they letting us into the water yet?” I explained that normal people eat breakfast, and that’s what I was doing. Mike doesn’t eat breakfast, so the place wasn’t really impressing him yet.

20180127_072515.jpg

I, on the other hand, am impressed with this great breakfast.

It was finally time to get changed, so we headed to the shower rooms. Mike is slowly showing signs that he likes the place, it’s hard not to because we’re wandering lonely pathways through a gorgeous tropical garden and getting glimpses of dolphins swimming in a nearby cove.

P1270323.jpg

Even the bathrooms here are beautiful.

20180127_075131.jpg

And the towels are warm!

We pick up our dorky swim vests and masks and decide to head to the lazy river first since the water is warmer there.

P1270112.jpg

As we float along, Mike says, “This is amazing, why haven’t we done this before?” Me, “Uh, because you said it sounded stupid and expensive?” Mike “Oh yeah. Well, I was wrong.”

We stop to wander through the bird area and there’s a friendly expert here handing us little cups of fruit for the birds, but even before we pick up food we’ve got some curious critters stopping by to say hi.

P1270149.jpg

Then we get some food in hand and we suddenly have a bunch of new friends.

P1270143crop.jpg

P1270120.jpg

This is so cool! It’s like what you think the bird feeding opportunities at zoos (or Busch Gardens) should be like but they can’t because there’s just too many people going through them every day. Here I am dripping wet in a swimsuit and I’m feeding beautiful tropical birds and if I’m hungry or thirsty I can float a bit more and grab something to nosh on while I relax in the sun. It’s like a little slice of heaven on earth. And to think I only added this to the itinerary because it would get me free parking at Busch Gardens!

P1270156.jpg

Happy Campers!

After floating around a few laps we decided to head over to the Grand Reef and check that out. On the way there Mike discovered the warm pretzels and decided he might want to move to Orlando and spend his life as a Discovery Cove beach bum. He checked the water temp at the Grand Reef and decided he’d rather start his beach bum life with a nice nap so he found a perfect spot in the sun and was snoring in seconds. I, on the other hand, was totally excited to swim with the fishes!

Mike was a diver in the Navy and was stationed in Hawaii for a few years so swimming with tropical fish wasn’t anything new and exciting to him, but for me this would be a new experience. I’d never even used a snorkel before, so after a few humorously failed tries I finally figured out how the thing works and started swimming and suddenly I’m in another world. This is amazing. Yes, I know I’m just in a swimming pool filled with fake coral in the middle of a water park but it sure doesn’t feel like that when a few rays swim by just inches from my outstretched hand.

P1270366.jpg

This feels downright epic.

They even have fish that are trained to smile for your camera!

P1270393.jpg

I end up spending hours here, just floating around and taking way too many photos.

P1270284.jpg

(nurse) Shark!!!

P1270249.jpg

P1270181.jpg

P1270172.jpg

P1270065.jpg

My hunger finally got the best of me and I headed in to grab some lunch, they had a ton of really good options, I had the grilled fish which was fresh and really flavorful - although it did seem a little weird to be swimming with the fish one minute and eating them the next.

Mike woke up long enough to have a huge salad which made him happy. We also grabbed beer and a few different desserts which we shared. There are a ton of really good food choices, the only frustration is that I hate eating a ton of food before I swim so I held off on totally pigging out. Mike finished off his lunch with a few more warm pretzels and I discovered they had warm chocolate chip cookies in the same cabinet and yeah, I ate waaaay too many of those warm gooey chocolatey things.

We did another few spins in the lazy river and Mike was ready for Beach Bum Nap Session #2, so I headed back to the Grand Reef where I found a guy talking about these weird looking crabs in one of the small tidepools at the edge of the Reef.

P1270291.jpg

P1270292.jpg

These Horseshoe Crabs are pretty spry for living fossils!

By 4pm we were both tired and the wind was starting to kick up a bit so we decided to head out. Tajah was upset to be leaving so soon as she still hadn’t caught her fill of fish, but we got her out of the pool with the promise of unlimited helpings of her favorite cat crack (Temptations).

tajah_Swim_Fullsm.jpg

We had an amazing day at Discovery Cove, I can’t say enough nice things about this place, it’s just an incredible experience from the minute you walk through the doors. The employees were helpful, friendly and knowledgeable, the food was great and the place is just gorgeous and well-maintained. I would have felt like we got our money’s worth even if we’d paid the $140pp without any other parks included.

Excellent, my evil plan to get everyone loving Busch Gardens Tampa is working! If I can just get a few hundred thousand more people to that park I might be able to sell a revised version of my book and make enough money to travel the world riding coasters for the rest of my life!

Excellent, my evil plan to get everyone loving Busch Gardens Tampa is working! If I can just get a few hundred thousand more people to that park I might be able to sell a revised version of my book and make enough money to travel the world riding coasters for the rest of my life!

I already loved it. . tho was disappointed you didn't go to the Gorilla exhibit

We actually did the Gorilla exhibit, I just don't have any pictures of it for some reason. I'm bummed that we've never caught one of the caretaker interactions there, I've heard they are pretty neat.

We actually did the Gorilla exhibit, I just don't have any pictures of it for some reason. I'm bummed that we've never caught one of the caretaker interactions there, I've heard they are pretty neat.

they are!

also very cool are when they toss fruit to the chimps (from above the viewing area). .it's like the chimps are praying, then oranges start raining from the skies, and they freak out in ecstasy. . . we loved it.

Just getting caught back up on your report, Pam....I LOVE it!

BGT is my tie for #1 park with CP - both are so completely different, but both are just so amazingly fun. I can never tire of reading PTR's of this park and you have some amazing shots and very interesting and funny captions.

I admit that I chickened out the first time that I saw Falcon's Fury as the thought of facing straight down just seemed terrifying to me. When I thought that I finally had the guts to ride it on our next visit, it went down every time that I got near it!

Discovery Cove is another bucket list item for me. Michael and I were discussing going there when we went to Florida last December, but the weather was simply too cold to make a day of it. Now that he has passed, I am going to make a strong effort to get back there in the not so distant future.

And as far as aged meat goes, there is nothing wrong with it...and no, I'm not a cannibal!

Looking forward to your next installment!

Welcome to the camp of people that think Discovery Cove is one of the best theme parks out there!!! The other camp is people who haven't been yet cause "it aint got no roller coasters"...they will join our side if we can ever get them to go!