TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kolmården Discussion Thread

Wildfire will remain closed during the detail planning process, city council decision to be held on June 19th

http://www.ekuriren.se/inrikes/kolmarden-slar-upp-portarna-utan-wildfire/

On Good Friday Kolmarden opens for the season. But Wildfire will be closed, despite earlier indications that the circumscribed roller coaster would open immediately. - We await the detailed planning process, says Helena Axelsson, spokeswoman for the zoo, to the NT.

Wildfire reopened a year ago, was soon shut down for safety reasons, but then open up again when the season began in earnest. The turmoil did not end there. When Kolmarden Zoo closed for years have been serious questions about the giant initiative's future. Land and Environmental Court then demanded a new detailed when the building permit was not enough for such a large building.

After several trips, it was recently announced that Wildfire could be kept open this year, in parallel with the paper process is ongoing.

Now runs the zoo, it appears, in consultation with the municipality of Norrköping. Detailed planning will continue until a decision has been taken in the city council on 19 June. During this process, the zoo decided not to restart Wildfire, type NT.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kolmården confirms: Wildfire will reopen this summer!

thumb_269c44aad7e46374ee2396cb6b76cba3_660_300_0.jpg.007e6ec11dc3ea9275200a5a10830c71.jpg

The Swedish animal and theme park Kolmården confirmed today that their wooden roller coaster 'Wildfire' will finally reopen during this summer holiday. When exactly will be communicated later.

Finally, Wildfire will soon open again after almost eight months of closure. The construction license of the RMC coaster was withdrawn in October last year due to possible negative noise disturbance for the environment, with uncertainty about Wilfdire's continued existence.

Early 2017, the Swedish construction and environmental committee decided not to break down the roller coaster, but Kolmården had to make a new detailed destination plan for the zone where Wildfire is located in. That plan has been submitted and is expected to be approved by the authorities next Monday. That means Wildfire will finally be able to reopen this summer holiday. That news has already officially been announced on the park's website: "Wildfire reopens soon! Soon more information about the magical reopening date."

Source

That is great news!

That's GREAT NEWS!!! We have so much video that we shot last year that I've been waiting to release! I figured it's a better idea to post the footage when the ride is actually open!

Awesome! I loved Wildfire, so looking forward to see the footage!

"The world's best wooden roller coaster is back!", said the park on their facebook page, and it will open tomorrow, June 20th. And they shared this awesome video too!

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew] Edited by JordyC

• 11 months later...

Hi everyone!

I'm making a trip to Norway, Sweden, and England this August, so naturally Kolmarden is one of the parks on my itinerary. Most of the parks that I'm visiting are either in or at a close proximity of a major city. Kolmarden is a little over 30 kilometers from Norrkoping, however I cannot find any train or bus tickets that go directly to the park. Are tickets available to travel by train/bus directly to the park from Norrkoping? If so, what sites? If not, what is the best option for getting to the park with public transportation.

Thank you!

^ Are you coming from Stockholm or Gothenburg? I was able to get to Kolmarden Zoo using trains and buses.

Here's the route I took on a Friday last September and I remember seeing that you could do this trip in reverse too.

To Kolmarden Zoo

6:51 am - 8:21 am- SJ Regionaltag Train from Stockholm Centralstation to Kolmarden Station. I bought a ticket in advance for $17. Same day tickets look to be $8-10 more. Stockholm Station is huge, but the platforms are very well marked.

8:43 am - 8:58 am- OstgotaTrafiken 433 Bus from Kolmarden Station to Djurparken. Pay on bus. I think it was about SEK 100 or ~$12.50. The bus runs hourly. Kolmarden Zoo is across the street from Djurparken.

Also I want to add that Kolmarden definitely warrants more than 2 hours. Unfortunately Liseberg and Kolmarden were only open Friday so I either had to skip one or shoehorn them both into one day. So basically I went solely for Wildfire, which was worth it, but that Safari Sky Ride looked awesome.

From Kolmarden Zoo

12:12 pm - 1:00 pm- OstgotaTrafiken 433 Bus from Djurparken to Norrkoping Centralstation The bus runs hourly.

1:34 pm - 1:58 pm- SJ Regionaltag Train from Norrkoping Centralstation to Katrineholm Centralstation. This train runs hourly.

3:11 pm - 5:35 pm- SJ Snabbtag Train from Katrineholm Centralstation to Gothenburg Centralstation. I paid $41 in advance for this train. I got a sizable discount doing this.

Liseberg was about a 20 minute walk from the train station. There were also cheap trolleys available as well.

It is possible to get the whole journey on one ticket through http://www.sj.se the stop at Kolmården zoo is called "Kolmårdens Djurpark".

It should also be noted that due to reconstruction of the railway tracks and bridges just south of Stockholm Central Station no mainline trains will depart from there until August 19th. Connecting commuter trains will run though, so if you book from Stockholm Central you will get a ticket for that as well. There should be plenty of staff to ask as well.

So basically I went solely for Wildfire, which was worth it, but that Safari Sky Ride looked awesome.

I can definitely recommend the Safari Sky Ride! Not only do you get great views of the animals as you glide in complete silence over their heads without disturbing them, but you also get some spectacular views of both Wildfire and the surrounding scenery!

Also prepare for plenty of walking at Kolmården because the park is huge!

"The world's best wooden roller coaster is back!", said the park on their facebook page, and it will open tomorrow, June 20th. And they shared this awesome video too!

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

That's a fantastic coaster commercial.