TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Looks like the 2019 project has an official codename: Project 412!

From the Kennywood Park Facebook Page:

34644300_10155827841104865_8669330992361635840_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0e58d68068f133ec834a966916f34cf5&oe=5B80C9CE

Something big is coming to Kennywood in 2019! PROJECT 412 has broken ground, and the guessing game as to what that means begins now!

Every Thursday, we’ll scratch off another number on our PROJECT 412 card, so follow along and take your best guesses at how they all add up to form Kennywood’s 2019 attraction. Want us to reveal the first number today? Then SHARE this post!

Once every number is revealed, well, then the REAL fun will begin! And make sure to visit us soon - you may just find some additional clues around the park...

Link Here

My first thought was a new Vekoma. Most of there models are associated with a number. I looked on RCDB and was expecting to see a a model 412M. Nope i was wrong lol

412 is the main Pittsburg area code.

Yeah, 412 is the main Pittsburgh area code, & it's become a pretty common hashtag and merchandise logo for the city. Unless the park has some serious area code gimmick up its sleeve with this new attraction, I'd read more into the upcoming teasers and less into the idea that "412" has deep coaster lore meaning.

tumblr_inline_narwuwxdaB1rv5m0r.jpg

And I will add that this is exciting news! I'll probably find myself playing along, and we can already see that the project is anticipation-worthy. I'm looking forward to the hype and clues.

412 ft tall dive machine named Ziz stolen from Canada's Wonderland.

I think you are close. Rumor I've heard is that it's going to be an 87 foot tall dive coaster that's themed after Sidney Crosby.

That will start a list of roller coasters I have no interest in riding out of straight principal (Go Caps).

I think you are close. Rumor I've heard is that it's going to be an 87 foot tall dive coaster that's themed after Sidney Crosby.

Sounds like it'll be a generational coaster and one of the best of all time!

That will start a list of roller coasters I have no interest in riding out of straight principal (Go Caps).

Yes this. #CBJ

Hopefully this is worth the hype. To start teasing this far ahead is uncharacteristic for the park. Quite a few people have replied to the Facebook announcement hoping for an RMC. Obviously that was already squashed at Coaster Bash, assuming that they weren't trying to intentionally mislead people. A raptor would be a good addition to the park.

We are coming down to Pittsburgh in July (as a family) and are finally going to get around to visiting Kennywood (missed it the last two times, and infact went to Hersheypark instead 2 years ago....humble apologies!). Anyway, this will be the year, which we are looking forward to as "Phantoms Revenge" is a coaster that has been on the bucket list for a LONG time, and the park seems to get a good write up from all comers and will be great family fun.

A couple of questions for those in the know.

1 I do always budget for whatever the Fastlane option is. I see at Kennywood they have a "Coaster VIP tour" type ticket. Would this be something you would buy in advance or would people wait till they are at the park to see the crowd level. We will be there midweek (July 11th) but school will be out, so I am not sure what to expect. If buying in advance is the better option, then that is what I will do

2 How bumpy is "Thunderbolt"? I watched a POV video online and it did seem to be shaking the camera a bit. I don't mind this, neither does my son...but my wife probably won't want to go on a teeth breaker! Would Thunderbolt be considered the best of Kennywoods "wooden" collection, or are their other personal favourites?

3 Outwith "Potato patches", are there any other "must try" food items. Is eating in the park a good option, or would the locals suggest any places in West Mifflin?

This trip will be our annual park outside of Florida and Canada's Wonderland, so we are looking forward to it. "Phantoms Revenge" is a coaster that I was aware of even when I lived in the UK, due to the nature of the 2nd drop, and the popularity in the coaster community. It is always exciting to get to try something that has been on the must do list for a while (last year was Fiesta and Iron Rattler).

Makes me wonder why we have delayed getting to Kennywood for the last couple of years when we have friends in Pittsburgh (who went to school with me in the North East of Scotland....ah how the world has shrunk!).

Anyway, would appreciate any advice. Thanking you.

I don't know anything about their fast pass/Coaster tour but as to your other questions: All three of Kennywoods woodies are in pretty great shape, they take very good care of them. And unpopular opinion: Potato Patch are laughably overrated, don't believe the hype. Everyone here will try to tell you otherwise, but I'm convinced the majority of TPR just does not know what good French fries are.

Have a blast, Kennywood is amazing. The air on Phantom is better in the front. And don't skip the Bayern Kurve.

my personal favorite Woodie at Kennywood was JackRabbit.

but Thunderbolt and Racer are neck and neck for 2nd place -- just that Thunderbolt drops RIGHT OUT of the station makes it unique. It's got a lot of laterals tho. . that double helix (right behind Potato Patch fries) has some jiggling. . but not bad at all.

as to Potato Patch.. Boldy is wrong, they are great -- if you get a fresh batch. We loved the 1st time we tried them, but later in the day, got some old, soggy fries, that weren't as good.

don't believe the hype on the fried Oreos tho. . unless you want something super, super sweet. I'd go with the Fudge in the candy shop by the main entrance instead.

oh. . don't miss: Kangaroo (it looks lame, but is SO much fun). . and Kennywood has a bunch of classics also that you shouldn't skip: Noah's Ark, Bayaurn Kurve, Whip, Paratrooper (great program), and even Ghostwood Estates, and Garfield's Nightmare are worth (a WTF was that??) ride.

enjoy!

^^ There's a sandwich cart (I forget what it's called) between Noah's Ark and Thunderbolt that sells steak hoagies, and they're pretty dang good.

Also, I don't know if this is their typical policy, but when I visited a couple of weeks ago, they closed Phantom's line about a half hour before the park closed.

Have fun!