TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Testing out a "Mobile" Forum Theme...

For those of you who browse TPR on your mobile phone, please try this "mobile theme".

Here's how to enable it....

1. Click "User Control Panel."

1514221899_ScreenShot2018-06-08at8_25_46PM.png.069e69aa1ef04c848015b18c514cd8f3.png

2. Select "Board Preferences"

1059610845_ScreenShot2018-06-08at8_25_57PM.png.8f38a11250f44b391085ca70c2866a10.png

3. Choose "Mobie" and click "Submit."

1936079640_ScreenShot2018-06-08at8_26_40PM.thumb.png.cd62c04809091598ce4829a0f8852915.png

When you refresh the page you'll be on the mobile theme.

NOTE that this theme does not look well on a desktop and as of right now I don't have a way to auto-detect or auto-change themes so you'd have to do it manually. But if you're someone who browses the forum almost exclusively on your mobile device this may be a good option for you.

Thank you!

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried it out by squishing my browser as if it were a phone. It's pretty well-organized, that's for sure.

There should be more variation in the colors used, when everything is white text with a blue bubble it's difficult to see at a glance which are page numbers, which is the "new post" warning, etc... But I'm sure that's in the pipeline.

Possible bug, YouTube videos don't seem to scale in the window properly. It's not a huge deal as it would go full screen on a mobile device when you clicked the play button, but at certain resolutions the thumbnail gets cut off on the right side (since it's anchored to the left).

I don't usually stay signed into TPR on my mobile device, but here's how different aspect ratios affect the cutoff of YouTube videos. You can see how the posts / replies themselves scale just fine, but the YouTube video preview is locked to a specific resolution, and gets cut off on the left browser.

814169778_Screenshot(131).thumb.png.ba1350f37daa1ed19e7fd6263372e505.png

I browsed around the mobile version and here are my thoughts.

- I thought the mobile version loaded very quickly, faster than the desktop version on my mobile device.

- Is there any way to have the color palette to match the desktop version to have more consistency? This is a minor thing, but mobile versions of site's like Reddit or ESPN look close to their desktop version.

- I probably go half and half browsing TPR on my desktop and mobile device. Until it autodetects the device, I will probably stick with the desktop version to avoid having to repeatedly change, but those using it almost entirely on the phone could potentially enjoy this more.

The mobile site is easier for me to use on my phone. It’s easy to manage and I figured out everything within 10 seconds.

The one thing I do not like is the color choices. I would prefer a darker background than the current white one since it feels like a completely different forum.

This is a nice addition though! I could see myself using this in the future!

Overall I think the mobile theme is easier to use, and I appreciate not having to constantly zoom to click the right link. I agree with what others have said that it would be nice to have a color scheme similar to the desktop version.

A few other changes I personally would like

-Full version of the posting interface (with smilies, text effects, embedded links, etc)

-I’d prefer for profile pictures to be visible when reading threads.

-I’d like the page navigation to be on the main viewing screen (Instead of having to tap the ‘#’ to see it)

I tried out the mobile forum for the last two days. I like it and think it makes reading trip reports a whole lot easier from your phone. I did notice it does not show you the other pages in the post. So if I wanted to jump back a page to read, I had to go back to the main forum page then click the page.

3FF34EF5-BDE4-4289-863F-5F33A74024A0.thumb.png.cf498cc97e96b445c8db954327821510.png

I tried out the mobile forum for the last two days. I like it and think it makes reading trip reports a whole lot easier from your phone. I did notice it does not show you the other pages in the post. So if I wanted to jump back a page to read, I had to go back to the main forum page then click the page.

Click the # on the bottom of the screen.

The mobile version now "auto-detects" a mobile device. You can switch to the browser version by clicking "Switch to full version" which should appear on every screen.

I haven't messed around with the colors yet just because I want to see how the functionality of this works before I start tweaking anything else. I also do ask the question - does a lighter background lend itself better to a mobile device than a darker background?

I agree with everyone so far. Functionality is great (great job), color palette is a little blinding/barely tolerable. Can we get the black backsplash with the TPR logo again?

Maybe. Maybe not. I'm not convinced this will look better with a darker background on a mobile device. It may just take some getting used to. Either way I won't have time to mess with it until after we get back from Japan so for now it will stay as is...

From my own experience, dark modes are often most appreciated on small screens. We aren't looking at them all the time so our eyes are always more used to our darker outdoor surroundings at night while walking, or on an airplane with the cabin lights off. With a computer screen it's different because we're dead-set on looking at that monitor for extended periods of time.

Another example: if you had a navigation system in your car, wouldn't you hate it if the tiny screen in the center of the dashboard DIDN'T change to its dark mode at night? Your eyes become so used to your dark surroundings watching the road and your car's gauges and then you look down and OMGSOBRIGHT.

Now, in your defense, software developers like Apple have been making some strides to make bright-screen viewing easier at night, like iOS' nighttime mode which removes blue colors from the screen, so in my opinion having a dark mode probably is more of a "really nice to have" rather than a "must have".

Click the # on the bottom of the screen.

Ahh I had a feeling I was maybe missing it. Thanks

Great job! I really like this mobile version. I guess the color scheme will get updated in version 2.0! Thanks to everyone who worked hard to make this possible. I can see myself getting lost in posts while at work...

Now that it auto-detects, I definitely like having this mobile version. My only suggestion, like most other people, is to make the color scheme a little more similar to the desktop.

I love TPR for so many reasons, but when it comes to the forums I especially love the easy-on-the-eyes color scheme. Most forums are so obnoxiously bright and tiring to read with their whites and blues. Just my opinion. Thank you for taking the time to make this available!

I love the "switch to mobile style" and "switch to full style" conveniently placed buttons!! That's made it a lot easier for me. Other than that (and the colors which has already been addressed) no complaints from me!! Thanks for doing this!!