TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Ok, Chicago people, my Dad and Son will be up there next week and going to the park either Wed or Thurs. While I get that there is never an absolute; what are the crowds liable to be like next week? Are schools still in (kinda seems like they might be from the park hours)? Trying to decide if I should go ahead and just get them fastpasses since they will only have one day or wait because it is unlikely they will be needed. It's just a lot easier to do ahead of time since I would be paying!

Most of the high schools in the area are already on summer vacation, but a lot of the elementary schools are still in school this week in the surrounding suburbs. Chicago Public Schools are still in session.

The crowds are usually not bad in May during the week, and mid-week is a good time to go. There is a chance of rain and thunderstorms Wednesday and Thursday this week, the much higher chance being on Wednesday.

Regarding the flash pass, I never buy them at any park, so someone else might be able to address that better, but I would guess they would not be needed this week due to so many schools still being in session and the fact it is only May, and a short operating day. Some guests will also be at the waterpark. I know you would like to buy them ahead of time, but I would advise they just wait to see what crowds are like and buy them if needed at the park. I would also advise arriving before the park opens, because they could walk onto a lot of rides early in the day without a flash pass. If money is no object though, and it would ease your mind to buy them, then buy them.

Yeah, who would have thought that they would have to worry about a tropical storm, in Chicago, in May. Go figure. They may just have to make a last minute decision about which day to go. We usually get fp if we are at a park out of town and only have a day, but no reason to throw money away either. They may just have to see what the crowds are like and make the decision at the park.

We do sometimes get remnants of hurricanes and tropical storms way up here, but like you said, in May is rare. Usually happens in August or September.

If you typically get the FP for one day trips to ensure they get on everything, then go for it. With the shorter operating schedule, hitting all the coasters in one day may be a bit tough, it that is the goal. I just don’t want you to waste money. It’s always a total guess.

Yeah, for my son that is the goal...so I will probably just get them and be done with it. We get the remnants sometimes here in St Louis too but usually only when they hit Texas. This one is hitting kind of far to the east to still get Chicago....waiting to see the track when it makes landfall. Maybe the "cone" will shift, lol.

Just to let everyone know for future planning. It was absolutely packed yesterday. Apparently, it was the last week for several schools and my Dad informs me that there was busload after busload of schools being dropped off. They had good weather until about 4 when lightning shut down most rides. With fastpass they got on 7 of the coasters before the weather shut down. Fortunately, my son was smart and did all the unique coasters so the only ones he did not get on were mostly clones that he had ridden in other parks.

Cool, thanks for sharing. Seeing old pictures of shuttle loops really makes me happy that Montezooma is still around and going strong.

That was my first upside down coaster - my dad paid me $20 to ride it LOL.

I'm trying to find some other pictures - I know I have more.

Here's an old picture I found from packing for an upcoming move of the Tidal Wave probably from the late 70's to very early 80's.

Thought some of you might enjoy seeing a pic of the park from that era.

image1_1.jpg

Very cool, I have a similar shot of Tidal Wave from '88 that was taken from the same Sky Whirl/Triple Wheel gondola vantage point.

Interesting to to note that both Tidal Waves at SFGAm and CGA were able to tout "world's tallest" upon release due to the fact the footers used were 4' to 5' higher than normally used on your standard shuttle loop. You can make out the elevated footers by reviewing the supports leading up to (and including) the counter-weight tower.

I believe the same height record tactic was used on Great American Scream Machine at SFGAdv to easily usurp (albeit briefly before Magnum opened) the record set by its near clone Shockwave at SFGAm the year before.

Hey everyone, I’m planning on visiting from The Detroit area in the near future and I have a couple Park questions and Chicago traffic questions.

My plan is to visit on a Saturday. I will drive to the area and stay the night on Friday, and then stay Saturday and drive to some town on Lake Michigan, spend half a day and then drive home.

How busy is weekend traffic? Will it be a big pain in the a - - to stay somewhere in Indiana on Friday night and make the rest of the drive on Saturday morning? I also see that there is a toll road. Will taking that road north save time? I wouldn’t mind paying a small toll if it saves me enough time.

Now for the questions about the park. I am planning on getting a flash pass, I’m just not sure which one as I have never used six flags’ flash pass before. How much time do I save with the more expensive options?

Any suggestions about where to eat would be appreciated. And any tips about magic seats, especially on the woodies would also be appreciated.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I highly recommend you avoid the Chicago traffic by traveling West across Michigan then taking the Lake Express ferry across to Wisconsin. Great America is about an hour south of where the ferry drops you off. Warning, it's not cheap (about $100 for a car and then $100 per person each way), but in my opinion totally worth it. Total travel time will be about the same but you don't have to drive through Chicago or the horribly-under-construction Indiana Toll Road. You could also theoretically stop in at Michigan's Adventure. which is only about 15 minutes from the ferry dock.

https://www.lake-express.com/

If you can drive during the night, do it (and even that isn't a guarantee during summer). I've lived in the Chicagoland area all my life, and just thinking about travel conditions during a typical summer day is enough to give me a panic attack.

As for eats, I know there is a Portillo's, as well as a Giordano's in Gurnee. IMO, eating at this park is something to be avoided. Take a break from what is sure to be a crowded day (Saturday) at GAm.

Magic Seat = Last Row on Raging Bull. One of the best first drops in all of the land.

Hey everyone, I’m planning on visiting from The Detroit area in the near future and I have a couple Park questions and Chicago traffic questions.

My plan is to visit on a Saturday. I will drive to the area and stay the night on Friday, and then stay Saturday and drive to some town on Lake Michigan, spend half a day and then drive home.

How busy is weekend traffic? Will it be a big pain in the a - - to stay somewhere in Indiana on Friday night and make the rest of the drive on Saturday morning? I also see that there is a toll road. Will taking that road north save time? I wouldn’t mind paying a small toll if it saves me enough time.

Now for the questions about the park. I am planning on getting a flash pass, I’m just not sure which one as I have never used six flags’ flash pass before. How much time do I save with the more expensive options?

Any suggestions about where to eat would be appreciated. And any tips about magic seats, especially on the woodies would also be appreciated.

Thank you

Timmy O'Toole's is right across the street from the park.

http://www.timothyotooles.com/gurnee

Excellent beer selection with lots of rare stuff on tap frequently and I've never been disappointed by the food.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/otooles-media/33883/MAIN-MENU-4112018-F-OUTLINED-G.pdf

tt.thumb.JPG.8f7ffd389779e12ca376e5b8ee5604af.JPG

It's so close you could walk.

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I appreciate the idea of using the ferry to cross Lake Michigan. I’d be leaving Detroit around 5-530 which should get me into the Chicago area between 9 and 10 pm. The ferry is something I would do if I was with my GF, but I’m doing this solo, and if it’s not going to save me too much time I don’t really want to add that much of an expense.

Which brings me to the food. I have the six flags dining plan so unless there’s absolutely nothing editable to eat in the park I don’t want to spend money I don’t have to.

Maybe I’ll stop at that pizzeria when I get into town for a late dinner. One of those opened here a year ago and I wasn’t impressed, so I’m thinking and hoping that the Chicago locations are better.

Another question, how is this park with letting you ride with keys, wallets, and a phone in a zipped pocket, and a hat down your shirt? I was at great adventure earlier this season and I was shocked they didn’t let you ride some coasters with a hat down your shirt and little items in a zipped pocket.

Thanks.

Which brings me to the food. I have the six flags dining plan so unless there’s absolutely nothing editable to eat in the park I don’t want to spend money I don’t have to.

Stay away from eating in the park if you can. The food isn't good and it's expensive, but that isn't the big issue. The real problem is the super-slow, long and unorganized lines to get that food. They have one register at many stations that used to have 2 to 4 registers. Add to that they are constantly out of stuff (including ice, systematically every summer... I haven't gotten a drink at the park in years for that reason, and the lines). There is a Culvers my friends and I eat at, a few blocks from the park. Also, if you like Dairy Queen, but that is a couple miles away. And the trendy pizza place everyone mentions as well. Add to that the standard fast food places plus a Chipolte, across the highway around mall.

Another question, how is this park with letting you ride with keys, wallets, and a phone in a zipped pocket, and a hat down your shirt? I was at great adventure earlier this season and I was shocked they didn’t let you ride some coasters with a hat down your shirt and little items in a zipped pocket.

Your stuff should be fine if you have a zipped pocket. You might put it all away out of view of a ride op. As far as the hat, it will vary depending on the ride op. Goliath and Raging Bull might just rip that hat out of your shirt.

Have fun! Ride Whizzer in back at night! Demon 2nd to back seat (also at night!) and Eagle RED side, seat 1 or 3.

There's actually some pretty good places to get food in the park w/ the dining plan (Full list for reference)

My top picks would be

Big Lou's (Italian beef sandwiches and Italian sausage) Located in Orleans Place

JB's Barbecue and Sports Bar (

Pulled pork sandwiches, and grilled chicken salad) Located in Southwest Territory

Strutter's (Probably the best chicken you'll find in a Six Flags park) Located in Hometown Square

Johnny Rockets (Burgers) Located in Mardi Gras and County Fair

Chop Six (Surprisingly decent Panda Express knockoff) Located in County Fair

For snacks, I'd recommend the frozen lemonade from Sticky Fingers (Located across from Goliath's entrance)

As for loose articles, just keep 'em in zippered pockets and the park doesn't care. No locker policy like Great Adventure

There's actually some pretty good places to get food in the park w/ the dining plan (Full list for reference)

My top picks would be

Big Lou's (Italian beef sandwiches and Italian sausage) Located in Orleans Place

JB's Barbecue and Sports Bar (

Pulled pork sandwiches, and grilled chicken salad) Located in Southwest Territory

Strutter's (Probably the best chicken you'll find in a Six Flags park) Located in Hometown Square

Johnny Rockets (Burgers) Located in Mardi Gras and County Fair

Chop Six (Surprisingly decent Panda Express knockoff) Located in County Fair

For snacks, I'd recommend the frozen lemonade from Sticky Fingers (Located across from Goliath's entrance)

As for loose articles, just keep 'em in zippered pockets and the park doesn't care. No fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo policy like Great Adventure

I also suggest Maw & Paw's. Usually always hot food and relatively fast lines.

For Snacks, If you have allergies; Welch's fruit snacks (Non-Yogurt covered ones) don't have wheat, glutten, or whey.

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I appreciate the idea of using the ferry to cross Lake Michigan. I’d be leaving Detroit around 5-530 which should get me into the Chicago area between 9 and 10 pm. The ferry is something I would do if I was with my GF, but I’m doing this solo, and if it’s not going to save me too much time I don’t really want to add that much of an expense.

Maybe I’ll stop at that pizzeria when I get into town for a late dinner. One of those opened here a year ago and I wasn’t impressed, so I’m thinking and hoping that the Chicago locations are better.

Thanks.

Regarding traffic, you should not be too bad if you are getting into Chicago late at night, especially since you will be heading northbound. The ferry is not necessary. I would recommend taking 294 around Chicago, though, rather than taking 94 through the city. It is not that much slower a trip, and can be faster.

They let you keep smaller items in pockets. I sometimes have keys, cell phone, etc., and have never been bothered. I just hold my hat in my hand if I cannot put in in a pocket and they have always allowed that too. The only items they are big on people putting in the bins are bags/purses and drink bottles.

I’ll be visiting the park this Friday for the day and for the 3 hour season pass night event. Should I anticipate it being very crowded?

Also, according to the app, all the water rides and the family coasters are closed. Is this true? If so, any reason to believe they will be running by Friday?

Any additional advice is appreciated too. Very excited to finally make it to this park!

I've never gone to CAD myself but I've heard it is always very crowded.

Also, the only ride currently closed is Logger's Run, which hasn't opened up yet this year so it likely won't be up Friday. http://sfgamworld.com/rides/ridestatus.php

Make sure to check out The Lobster if you like classic familly flats

Have fun!