TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

The Eagle has had a long wait all day. I'm currently queuing and this may be my only ride on it. Is it better towards the front or back?

I've only ridden it once, somewhere near the middle/back area. I think the back area (non wheel seat) is probably the best due to how awesome the whip over the first drop is (WOW, gotta love those long trains) and the floater airtime is phenomenal presumably in most seats (seriously, this is the strongest and most sustained floater air I've ever felt)

^ I'm about to board the front, but I'm going to get back in line around closing to try the back too. That sounds delightful.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any seat on Screamin' Eagle. The setting and airtime are so much fun

^ The front was excellent. Honestly I think it's my favorite ride in the park so giving it a second ride is a must now.

The park maintains their woodies really well. American Thunder and Screamin' Eagle are about as smooth a traditional wooden coaster can be. Then I went in expecting the worst from the Boss but I found it reridable and not all that rough.

All of SFStL's woodies were very fun to me. The Boss is possibly the roughest wooden coaster I've been on, but unlike some rides the roughness didn't detract at all. It made it a very characteristic ride and very unique with a fantastic setting. I wouldn't want to marathon it, but I'd ride it multiple times in a day for sure. American Thunder is a very fun and rerideable, haven't been on many GCIs but I'd say it feels like the "default" GCI coaster and that's not a bad thing. Screamin' Eagle is my comparison point for every coaster's floater airtime and like The Boss has an amazing setting. Honestly, the woodies and Mr. Freeze make for one of the more fun coaster collections out there. I only got to spend three hours when I went and honestly I'd love to go back.

Glad you enjoyed Eagle. It really is great. The 42" minimum makes it all the more awesome.

As for the Boss, I think a lot of people confuse roughness for intensity. The Boss in its current state is intense, but aside from a couple of turnarounds, it's not actually rough. It used to be rough all over, but all the new track has fixed that problem. It remains intense like the Voyage is, and is polarizing for that reason.

I was at the park on Tuesday and it was closed as well. Both times I have been to the park this year, it has been closed. Not sure why???

Some pieces for their new water slide are still sitting in the parking lot, so it looks like it wasn't quite ready in time for Memorial Day weekend.

Also has Justice League been closed recently? Everything was closed due to weather when I arrived. I thought it was odd their indoor ride would be closed too.

Glad you enjoyed Eagle. It really is great. The 42" minimum makes it all the more awesome.

As for the Boss, I think a lot of people confuse roughness for intensity. The Boss in its current state is intense, but aside from a couple of turnarounds, it's not actually rough. It used to be rough all over, but all the new track has fixed that problem. It remains intense like the Voyage is, and is polarizing for that reason.

I rode Boss when it was VERY rough, and Voyage when it was relatively smooth. I don't know if Boss has been extensively retracked since I rode it, but it jackhammered and jolted all over the place. I was holding onto the grab bar on the train and I got weird hand pain from riding it.

It didn't detract for me, but if it's smoother that's not a bad thing either.

It's been two years since I last rode Boss- it's still one of my favorite wooden coasters. I probably won't get back down to the park until a legitimate new coaster goes in, but I'm curious to see how it rides nowadays.

On the low to the ground turns in the woods, the train was shuffling but I can take it in short spurts. It's the worst of the worst that manage to sustain the jackhammering the whole way through.

If you want an example of that, ride Clementon's Hellcat in the back. Or don't since that would mean you aren't at Clementon (and I actually don't even know if Hellcat reopened after that piece of steel fell into the queue last year).

I was at the park on Tuesday and it was closed as well. Both times I have been to the park this year, it has been closed. Not sure why???

Wonder what's up with Justice League. The only problem I've gotten is a broken gun here and there on the others.

I would have loved to have been able to ride that before I hit the magic 48" mark. Instead, I just had galaxis to entertain me.

I rode Boss when it was VERY rough, and Voyage when it was relatively smooth. I don't know if Boss has been extensively retracked since I rode it, but it jackhammered and jolted all over the place. I was holding onto the grab bar on the train and I got weird hand pain from riding it.

It didn't detract for me, but if it's smoother that's not a bad thing either.

I must have just ridden in one of those jackhammering/jolty seats (or train?) because that is all this coaster did to me after the first drop into the final re-tracked area.

When I think of intense wooden coasters, I think of El Toro, Boulder Dash, The Beast (night/front seat) and Ravine Flyer 2. And while BD was a little rougher the last time that I was there, it was still nothing like beat-down that The Boss put on me.

I really wish that I had waited it out the front row now, but they were only running one train and it was one of the longer waits in the park on the day that we visited. Maybe next time!

Agree with Canobie Coaster and others that Screamin' Eagle is a great classic coaster - I enjoyed my front seat ride. It reminded me a little bit of Hoosier Hurricane, which I found to be the best coaster at Indiana Beach besides the complete, off the wall weirdness that is Lost Coaster Of Superstition Mountain.

Roughness is such a weird property. It hurt Thunderhead for me despite only being a little rougher than it felt it should be, but it added to The Boss despite being in some pain afterwards. And I didn't feel any roughness on Voyage or Beast. Probably depends on when and where you ride things.

I wish I had gotten a second ride in near the back. That first drop + double down would be really fun to experience further back and I really can't see how it could get much rougher, ha. It has a great layout and setting. I'd imagine it gives fabulous night rides.

After this past season Emily and I really felt like the Eagle gave us our most fun rides of the season. It really might be the crown jewel of the park. We always sit in the middle for a smoother ride. How can you tell which seat is a wheel seat?

Typhoon Twister did miss opening day. In fact two pretty major segments of slide are still in the parking lot (the section connecting the half pipe turn to the splashdown and the section at the top connecting the tower to the rest of the ride) wonder why they'd have ever set a 5/26 open date though. Shazam, Colossus and Tsunami Soaker all down today. The entire tube slide tower complex was down so none of those were open. Absolutely none of the water sprayers were out and turned on either, in either park.

The park really doesn't seem like it's at all ready for Memorial Day weekend. Downtime is expected early in the season, but this seems excessive now. Shazam being down in particular it doesn't seem to make much sense because the cars are relatively simple and there are a ton of these rides everywhere.

Edited by Danrarbc

Shazam being down in particular it doesn't seem to make much sense because the cars are relatively simple and there are a ton of these rides everywhere.

I'm just guessing, but it is possible that they are waiting for new cars. Eli Bridge is not a very big company so it would take time for them to fill the order. Also they probably won't have a bunch of Scrambler cars lying around since they should last decades before they need to be replaced.

Whole new cars? Guess that could explain it. Didn't seem to be in bad shape at all though.

Typhoon Twister did miss opening day. In fact two pretty major segments of slide are still in the parking lot (the section connecting the half pipe turn to the splashdown and the section at the top connecting the tower to the rest of the ride) wonder why they'd have ever set a 5/26 open date though. Shazam, Colossus and Tsunami Soaker all down today. The entire tube slide tower complex was down so none of those were open. Absolutely none of the water sprayers were out and turned on either, in either park.

The park really doesn't seem like it's at all ready for Memorial Day weekend. Downtime is expected early in the season, but this seems excessive now. Shazam being down in particular it doesn't seem to make much sense because the cars are relatively simple and there are a ton of these rides everywhere.

Hmm...... Too bad about Typhoon Twister. Does anyone in the know have an idea of when it will likely open? Would think it would be a priority since it is the new ride for the year. Have friends with kids wanting to utilize our bff to go to the water park.

Hmm...... Too bad about Typhoon Twister. Does anyone in the know have an idea of when it will likely open? Would think it would be a priority since it is the new ride for the year. Have friends with kids wanting to utilize our bff to go to the water park.

Considering the rate that they appear to have been installing the ride, and the number of non holiday work days ahead? I don't think it'll be ready by next weekend I think it might take 2 weeks.

I was in the water park all day Saturday. The only thing they managed to install was the lip on the edge of the wave wall turn.

Rats. I was hoping it would be ready by the week of June 4. I have a free ticket from another source (not SF bff) and was hoping to take our friends that week when it would presumably be a little less crowded as the next week is bff for all passholders.

If anyone gets news on its opening date, please, let us know!

Rats. I was hoping it would be ready by the week of June 4. I have a free ticket from another source (not SF bff) and was hoping to take our friends that week when it would presumably be a little less crowded as the next week is bff for all passholders.

If anyone gets news on its opening date, please, let us know!

I could be wrong. As I said before some communication from the park would be nice. AFAIK they haven't acknowledged missing the date yet.