TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Advice for visiting Six Flags Great Adventure

camc1804

Hi Guys,

My name is Claudio, I live in Chile and I'm a long time fan of roller coasters and I've been following this site for many many years, but i just did an account (please, forgive if my english is wrong, it's not my mother language) . The thing is that I'm going to New York City in December this year and I'll finally be able to ride all the amazing roller coasters Six Flags Great Adventure provides (Especially El Toro and Nitro). I'm gonna stay at Manhattan and I saw that to arrive to the park I should take the 308 bus. Is it recommendable? Does anyone has another service that could be up to me for better? How long the services takes? The park is only operating from 13:00 to 21:00 pm.

Another stuff, what recommendation can you give me for this tour? Will be there too much cold? I saw that the temperature could be very low, but my sister wanted to visit NYC in christmas season so we can't change that. Another thing, is it worth the flash pass? I thought that how we will be only one day there in the park, we should do almost everything. Do you think is a good idea? For the price i think we can pay the golden ticket (it says is up to 50% faster).. Is the park too crowded in December?

Thanks in advice, and have a great day/night!

Hopefully i'll reach to you in December to ask more specific questions about how I should visit the park

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're visiting near Christmas, I personally wouldn't get your hopes up for Toro, Nitro, or Ka. It can get incredibly cold near Christmas, and it's normal for many of the major coasters to close when the temperature drops too low.

EDIT: Boldikus has corrected me about Nitro. See what he has to say, as he's more knowledgeable than I about SFGadv

Edited by JG-77

^ Actually, Nitro has run during every HITP thus far, and typically runs it down well into below freezing temps.

Hi Guys,

My name is Claudio, I live in Chile and I'm a long time fan of roller coasters and I've been following this site for many many years, but i just did an account (please, forgive if my english is wrong, it's not my mother language) . The thing is that I'm going to New York City in December this year and I'll finally be able to ride all the amazing roller coasters Six Flags Great Adventure provides (Especially El Toro and Nitro). I'm gonna stay at Manhattan and I saw that to arrive to the park I should take the 308 bus. Is it recommendable? Does anyone has another service that could be up to me for better? How long the services takes? The park is only operating from 13:00 to 21:00 pm.

Another stuff, what recommendation can you give me for this tour? Will be there too much cold? I saw that the temperature could be very low, but my sister wanted to visit NYC in christmas season so we can't change that. Another thing, is it worth the flash pass? I thought that how we will be only one day there in the park, we should do almost everything. Do you think is a good idea? For the price i think we can pay the golden ticket (it says is up to 50% faster).. Is the park too crowded in December?

Thanks in advice, and have a great day/night!

Hopefully i'll reach to you in December to ask more specific questions about how I should visit the park

OK so. Hate to disappoint you but

1. El Toro and Kingda Ka will NOT be open in December. They do not run during the Holiday in the Park event, after Fright Fest ends (Halloween weekend) they run for another two weekends then close til the following year. After these two weekends following Fright Fest, the entire east side of the park closes for the season - this includes the Golden Kingdom, Plaza Del Carnival and Frontier areas, so that not only includes El Toro and Kingda Ka, but also Zumanjaro, Bizarro, Runaway Mine Train and El Diablo, as well as the Safari Off Road Adventure.

Contrary to what the guy above me said, Nitro WILL be open, they run it even when it is very cold. Also running will be Joker, Batman, Superman, Skull Mountain, Justice League, Green Lantern, The Dark Knight, and many other flat rides and family rides.

2. the 308 bus from NYC is seasonal so it only runs til the end of October/end of Fright Fest (click that link and you'll see what I mean). The park is VERY hard to get to unless you rent a car, since the park is in the middle of nowhere. You can take the NJ Transit train from Penn Station (NYC) to Trenton Transit Center and take taxi or Uber (about $25 one way, on TOP of your train ticket) but BE WARNED it is NOT easy to get back to Trenton this way as taxis and Ubers will not come all the way out to get you and you will get stranded (I speak from experience and live less than an hour away from the park). There are NO hotels within 20 miles of the park.

3. It WILL be cold. If you do come in December and the temperatures are low, come prepared - hats, gloves, layers of clothing is recommend. Like you are going skiing. Layer, layer, layer. There are indoor rides, but you will spend most of your time outside and it can get VERY cold after the whole day. Not to mention when its REALLY cold on the ground, its even colder when you are 100-200 feet in the air.

4. Flash Pass. You will not need flash pass in December. Sometimes they don't even sell it because no one buys it in December. It can get busy but people come for the lights, food and shows, the ride lines are short even when the park is busy. However, in the summer? You'll need a flash pass.

I know both of the first two things will put a damper on your visit but the winter time is not a good time to visit if you want to do everything, and especially not good unless you rent a car to get to the park. If you have any other questions feel free to ask in the Great Adventure thread - lots of us regulars/local post there and are happy to help.

it's normal for many of the major coasters to close when the temperature drops too low.

tenor.gif

That's not a thing at Great Adventure. They ran all of their HITP coasters including Nitro when it was 19 degrees (F) last year.

3. It WILL be cold. If you do come in December and the temperatures are low, come prepared - hats, gloves, layers of clothing is recommend. Like you are going skiing. Layer, layer, layer. There are indoor rides, but you will spend most of your time outside and it can get VERY cold after the whole day. Not to mention when its REALLY cold on the ground, its even colder when you are 100-200 feet in the air.

It's a NEED to layer, last December I had only 2 layers, and realized I need more because my hands and feet were most likely frozen and hurting.

Also, BUY THE SOUVENIR MUG!!! The day you buy it, you get free refills of hot drinks all day, which you need to have a surviving chance to do everything that's open in the park.

There are fire pits that are scattered around the park too to keep warmth, just a little notice.

When I went in late December, Joker, Batman, Nitro, and Green Lantern were closed due to the freezing temperatures, plus, they closed early that night for the same reason. Just be prepared to possibly not be able to ride something because of the temperatures in NJ.

it's normal for many of the major coasters to close when the temperature drops too low.

tenor.gif

That's not a thing at Great Adventure. They ran all of their HITP coasters including Nitro when it was 19 degrees (F) last year.

How awesome a ride is Nitro when it's that cold