TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which is better Cedar Point or Six Flags Great Adventure?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cedar Point! And it's not even close now that Steel Vengeance is open.

As for why, location for one thing. Cedar Point is located on a penensula on lake Erie. I stayed at hotel Breakers right off the beach! You can rent a wave runner or go parasailing! Great Adventure, on the other hand, is in the middle of nowhere with no hotels in the immediate vacinity. Overall ride selection is probably better at CP as well. Steel Vengeance is a no-brainer, but there's also Maverick, Valraven, Millennium Force, Gate Keeper, Magnum XL 200, Rougaru, Raptor and Top Thrill Dragster! Plus a lot of classic stuff like Gemini and Blue Streak.

Either trip should be fun:

If you decide to go to Cedar Point, I would get a Knott's platinum pass with meals and hit Cedar Point and Kings Island for a few day vacation.

If you decide to go to the east coast, I would get a high-level Magic Mountain pass and hit Six Flags New England and Great Adventure. You can also stop by Coney Island and the Jersey shore parks but they would cost extra.

or

Great Adventure, Six Flags America, Kings Dominion, and Busch Gardens Europe.

Any of these trips are worth visiting and you can't go wrong with any choice.

That’s like saying would you rather listen to the Ramones or nickelback.

Excellent analogy. "Leave Home" is my favorite Ramones, filled with love and hyperness

My only draws to Great Adventure would probably be the Sky Ride and Skull Mountain. That's going off my previous experiences at the park. I'd like to drop in if I'm around, but sure ain't going out of my way for it.

Cedar Point, while is has no coasters I would personally go out of my way for (Magnum is still my favorite there)... the whole park is a great package. Fast moving lines, efficiency, user-friendly, lots of places to sit.. fast moving food lines, excellent variety of rides. And Top Thrill Dragster blows Kingda Ka out of the water; comfort, operation, location, etc.

Definitely Cedar Point. It has better rides, better atmosphere, and better pretty much everything. Not that Great Adventure is a bad park, but if you have to choose one or the other CP is a no brainer.

You're basically going to get some variation of this from most members here.

Great Adventure is a very good Six Flags park with one of the best coasters on the planet and generally a terrific supporting line-up, as well as a huge and awesome safari. It's not the nicest park but it's fine - it's in a nice wooded area of Jersey and they've made some significant improvements the last few years (new parking lot, the waterfront, the Old Country/JLBFM area). That said, Cedar Point is a coaster lovers paradise, the park is squeaky clean, the location is incredible, not to mention all of the lodging nearby, which Great Adventure does not have. And when comparing similar styles of coaster at each park (Kingda Ka vs Dragster, etc) Cedar Point generally comes out ahead (though they still have their clunkers). Great Adventures operations have significantly improved over the last few years, while Cedar Point is actually known for having great operations.

TL;DR: Great Adventure is a great park, but most people here will say Cedar Point.

I recommend Cedar Point head-to-head. Great Adventure has some great coasters and is certainly a headlining Six Flags park, but Cedar Point's collection is overwhelming, operations are typically very good, and its location is hard to beat. Now with Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point has an almost unfair, holy grail-level surplus of coasters.

But, if you've never been to NYC or the East Coast, Great Adventure can be paired with an endless number of things to do that could make for an even more compelling trip. Depending on your interests, budget, and fellow travelers, you can experience just about every flavor of food, fun, shows, shopping, character, luxury, & grime throughout the East Coast.

TL;DR: Great Adventure is a great park, but most people here will say Cedar Point.

I gotta agree with this... in fact, people I work with bring up Cedar Point all the time when talking to me "oh yeah, Cedar Point is THE BEST!" Well... it's excellent at many things, but my favorite parks and rides are elsewhere.

I'll play devils advocate on this one...

Both parks are great, however, there are some downfalls to CP that have been glossed over. Generally, any accommodations in the surrounding area that are not CP properties are not very nice. I try to stay at 3.5/4 star properties and there's actually none in the Sandusky area, as you get closer to Cleveland there's a couple Courtyards and Hilton Garden Inn's but you're about a 30 min drive out from the park. The prices to stay in a CP property are laughable compared to those at a similar non-park property.

While CP has higher highs, they also have some lows, in regards to their coasters. Blue Streak, Iron Dragon, Mine Ride, Gemini, Corkscrew, and Rogarou could all be considered not exciting, to meh at best.

GA has a a solid collection, granted a few clunkers in there as well. If you're attending in the summer I assume you'll be using FL or Flashpass. Pricing is less for FP platinum, usually around $85-115/person depending on the size of your group, where as it's going to cost a solid $150/person at CP (express lines will also be a little longer at CP as the standby lines are usually longer).

Food is pretty terrible at both parks tbh. The theming is essentially non-existent at CP, GA does a little more in this dept but nothing over the top. Flat rides at GA get the slight nod due to the variety. CP has a lot of overlap within their flats and an OK lineup.

I think you'll be fine with whatever park you choose but if you're looking to do things beyond a park while on vacation I'd choose GA. With NYC, Atlantic beaches, and DC all being within fairly decent driving distance you can make a great vacation out of it. CP is in Ohio, and unless you want to hit KI as well its really just full of meth.

I'll play devils advocate on this one...

Both parks are great, however, there are some downfalls to CP that have been glossed over. Generally, any accommodations in the surrounding area that are not CP properties are not very nice. I try to stay at 3.5/4 star properties and there's actually none in the Sandusky area, as you get closer to Cleveland there's a couple Courtyards and Hilton Garden Inn's but you're about a 30 min drive out from the park. The prices to stay in a CP property are laughable compared to those at a similar non-park property.

While CP has higher highs, they also have some lows, in regards to their coasters. Blue Streak, Iron Dragon, Mine Ride, Gemini, Corkscrew, and Rogarou could all be considered not exciting, to meh at best.

GA has a a solid collection, granted a few clunkers in there as well. If you're attending in the summer I assume you'll be using FL or Flashpass. Pricing is less for FP platinum, usually around $85-115/person depending on the size of your group, where as it's going to cost a solid $150/person at CP (express lines will also be a little longer at CP as the standby lines are usually longer).

Food is pretty terrible at both parks tbh. The theming is essentially non-existent at CP, GA does a little more in this dept but nothing over the top. Flat rides at GA get the slight nod due to the variety. CP has a lot of overlap within their flats and an OK lineup.

I think you'll be fine with whatever park you choose but if you're looking to do things beyond a park while on vacation I'd choose GA. With NYC, Atlantic beaches, and DC all being within fairly decent driving distance you can make a great vacation out of it. CP is in Ohio, and unless you want to hit KI as well its really just full of meth.

2018-05-23-16-18-56-.jpg.978f832660372d24c716b4054800dc95.jpg

Generally, any accommodations in the surrounding area that are not CP properties are not very nice. I try to stay at 3.5/4 star properties and there's actually none in the Sandusky area, as you get closer to Cleveland there's a couple Courtyards and Hilton Garden Inn's but you're about a 30 min drive out from the park. The prices to stay in a CP property are laughable compared to those at a similar non-park property.

I mean... I just typed Six Flags Great Adventure into Kayak and sorted by distance and it didn't return a single 4 star hotel. The nearest hotel period is 21 minutes away and it's a 2 star. That problem isn't exclusive to Cedar Point. Actually, Cedar Point Express Hotel has super reasonable prices a lot of the time given what they offer and it's a 4 star hotel on most sites.

Generally, any accommodations in the surrounding area that are not CP properties are not very nice. I try to stay at 3.5/4 star properties and there's actually none in the Sandusky area, as you get closer to Cleveland there's a couple Courtyards and Hilton Garden Inn's but you're about a 30 min drive out from the park. The prices to stay in a CP property are laughable compared to those at a similar non-park property.

I mean... I just typed Six Flags Great Adventure into Kayak and sorted by distance and it didn't return a single 4 star hotel. The nearest hotel period is 21 minutes away and it's a 2 star. That problem isn't exclusive to Cedar Point. Actually, Cedar Point Express Hotel has super reasonable prices a lot of the time given what they offer and it's a 4 star hotel on most sites.

There's an HGI less than 15 mins from GA. Kayak lists their properties as full star, they dont usually classify the jump from 3 to 3.5, even though it is quite significant. Breakers Express is just cheap looking, everything just looks sticky, and I get it, its a seasonal property used mostly by families with children.

Either park you'll have a blast, its just depressing trying to find anything to do at night around CP. They didn't even have Uber to get you back to your hotel which limited any type of drinking we could do at the park.

I always find decent mid-range hotels within a 15 minute drive of The Point... that classic Super 8 is particularly nice (for what it is).

Speaking of hotels, isn't Great Adventure infamous for having no close accommodations?

I always find decent mid-range hotels within a 15 minute drive of The Point... that classic Super 8 is particularly nice (for what it is).

Speaking of hotels, isn't Great Adventure infamous for having no close accommodations?

We just booked a hotel by the park. Closest hotel is about 9 miles away. I am baffled by this. Such a large park, and no accommodations.

Either park you'll have a blast, its just depressing trying to find anything to do at night around CP. They didn't even have Uber to get you back to your hotel which limited any type of drinking we could do at the park.

Just saying - you'll have this same issue w/ Great Adventure. The park is nowhere near anything - Trenton is a little less than 30 mins but whoTF wants to go to Trenton? Otherwise you're looking at NYC or Philly (both an hour) or the Jersey shore (even further). And Uber is almost non-existent around Jackson.

I always find decent mid-range hotels within a 15 minute drive of The Point... that classic Super 8 is particularly nice (for what it is)

If you’re talking about the one by the Harley place I doubt anyone who wants 3.5 to 4 stars is going to be on board with that place. I’ve stayed there quite a bit. It’s fine for a Super 8 but that’s as “2 star” as they come. The one back by the Interstate is actually pretty good for a Super 8 but it’s still a Super 8 and it’s a long way from the park.