TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

So had to be on a conference call at 7:15pm but several colleagues were late dialing in so while waiting, pulled up TTD webcam on 2nd monitor to see if SV was running. (I know GEEK alert)

Here is the breakdown, between 7:15 and 7:30 (ish), TDD dispatched every 1 minute WOW!!! I have been riding TTD since it's inception and cannot ever recall that quick of a dispatch. Don't know how many trains they were running but Holy Cow, kudos to the Dragster crew on kicking butt on a Wednesday!!!

On a sadder note, SV was indeed running but dispatch appeared to be roughly four minutes apart so definitely must be 1 train op still.

Just before getting back on conf call, TTD rolled back. Lucky peeps!!

So had to be on a conference call at 7:15pm but several colleagues were late dialing in so while waiting, pulled up TTD webcam on 2nd monitor to see if SV was running. (I know GEEK alert)

Here is the breakdown, between 7:15 and 7:30 (ish), TDD dispatched every 1 minute WOW!!! I have been riding TTD since it's inception and cannot ever recall that quick of a dispatch. Don't know how many trains they were running but Holy Cow, kudos to the Dragster crew on kicking butt on a Wednesday!!!

On a sadder note, SV was indeed running but dispatch appeared to be roughly four minutes apart so definitely must be 1 train op still.

At least SV is running... That is the good thing for those of with trips in the very near future!

Thank you! The crew is working hard to keep the line moving! Also we were running 5 trains all day, that's the normal amount we run for maximum capacity.

Edited by JRice92

Word is that RMC trucks rolled in overnight and were testing multiple trains... 2 or possibly 3. Also heard that they were testing the harshness of the brakes. Does anyone have confirmation or more details on this?

I've seen this reported in a few places but I mean, let me get this straight...

The ride broke down yesterday. They dumped the queue, they said it wouldn't reopen and they gave everyone vouchers. Then they fixed it after the park closed and tested 2 trains. Then they knew well in advance that despite the fact that they supposedly fixed it last night they wouldn't have it open for early entry after it was broken yesterday afternoon so they had the Magnum crew come in early and open up for Early Entry (though Steel Vengeance did end up opening up faster than they thought it would).

That makes no sense. I guess theoretically they could have broken it again last night but it seems way more likely that the same breakdown that caused it to close for the day early yesterday afternoon prompted them to have the Magnum crew come in early.

There could have been an issue with the train (Digger) that was used on Monday. On Tuesday, they were running a different train (Chess).

I got my first ride on Steel Vengeance on Monday, after the rain cleared, and two more rides on Tuesday (one just after noon and one at park closing). For my first two rides, I waited maybe 45 minutes (thanks to good timing), and I waited an hour and a half for my third ride. My rides were in rows 12, 9 (I think), and 2, respectively. The first drop is easily one of the best out there near the rear of the train and the first two airtime hills are right up there with El Toro. I could go on and on about this ride which, despite knowing the layout, still has its fair share of surprises. One ride is not enough to take it all in, so I am thankful for the three I have under my belt.

Other positives from the park:

-Front Row on TTD is still one of the best experiences out there, let alone the launch in any row.

-Skyhawk is just incredible and every park needs this exact model of Screamin Swing.

-Watching Steel Vengeance testing with water dummies and seeing water spew out on every hill is quite the sight.

-The employees at Cedar Point truly are more friendly than the other Cedar Fair and Six Flags parks I've visited.

-The park had several coasters running in the rain on Monday, including Magnum, Valravn, Wicked Twister, and even Millennium Force! Even if it was one-train operations, that's something I didn't expect to see at CP.

-After exiting Steel Vengeance, my friend and I were stopped by two employees for a Cedar Point trivia quiz and we won two Fast Lane Plus tickets.

-The Steel Vengeance crew was likely under a high amount of pressure, having only one train on the rails, and they did a great job. Even the coasters with short waits had efficient operations - something you don't see enough.

Negatives:

Valravn is annoyingly bumpy, and if B&M could stick with their normal shoulder harness restraints for Dive Coasters from now on, that'd be great.

MaxAir was closed both days

Edited by The Yeti

Hi guys,

I will be visiting CP on May 31st for my first ever visit. Will all coasters be operating on a weekday? If I look at websites posting wait times, I see that quite a number are closed. What should I expect?

Although... as long as SV is open, my trip may have been worth it.

Thanks

-After exiting Steel Vengeance, my friend and I were stopped by two employees for a Cedar Point trivia quiz and we won two Fast Lane Plus tickets.

Congrats! What sort of questions were asked? Do you think the average guest would be able to answer them?

New (to me) camera angle today. I like this one even better than the close up of SV's drop from the other day.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/explore/live-video

That is a great shot. They really need to switch camera #2 to something else. They keep switching #3. I would keep it on that shot and move the old #3 which you saw MF and Maverick to the current #2. Camera #1 is a fine shot.

SV with one train runs better than some Six Flags coasters with two trains

How so?

The SV crew turns trains around quickly (dispatches around 90 seconds), while some coasters at Six Flags parks have 10 minute dispatches

Oh come on. I've never seen a 10 minute dispatch at any Six Flags park, not even La Ronde (though it wasn't for lack of effort).

How so?

The SV crew turns trains around quickly (dispatches around 90 seconds), while some coasters at Six Flags parks have 10 minute dispatches

I have been to every six flags park(except discovery kingdom) multiple times, and only witnessed a 10 min dispatch 1 time. And that was 10 years ago at great adventure when they had scream machine. I've witnessed long dispatch times at cedarpoint as well because employees were playing around.

They are amusement parks with teenagers making minimum wage. Does not matter what park chain you are at, it's gonna happen.

With that said, we were at six flags over Georgia a month ago, and the crew on goliath were ready to send trains out in about a minute. Also, I actually went to guest services and complimented the good service we had at the food stand. 25 people in front of us, and we waited no more than 5 min.

Point is, it can and will happen at any amusement park.

The worst ops I've ever experienced were at Six Flags America about 10 or 11 years ago. I want to say it was like 7 minutes for one train to pull in and pull out. I only even remotely paid attention because of how bad it was, I think my GF at the time and I rode 2 rides and left.

I love going to CP and riding SV once, and Maverick twice, with only a half hour wait (all for SV) combined!

That station reminds me a lot of Ghostrider. Only two more weeks 'til I can see it in person.

I can't stop watching the live video feed #3 either.

I'm bursting with excitement over here. Have a half day at work tomorrow, driving up to the point from Pittsburgh, staying at Lighthouse Point Friday and Saturday night, heading to the park on Saturday and Sunday!!

I believe my last trip was in 2009, so almost 10 years ago!

How so?

Troll alert!

How so?

Troll alert!

Yea...ummm...ok

How so?

Oh come on. I've never seen a 10 minute dispatch at any Six Flags park, not even La Ronde (though it wasn't for lack of effort).

I take it you've never been to Magic Mountain?

Not saying it's the norm, but I'm pretty sure we saw dispatches close to that when I was last there for TC in it's opening year. It was at least long enough that one train went out and came back and waited a few minutes before the other even dispatched. Mind you that's with it even slowing down on the second lift.

Regardless, Six Flags gets too much hate. I've seen awful operations at Cedar Fair parks too.

How busy is the park today?

Im on my way from chicago and almost there ))))) SV here I come

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

You're probably here by now, and don't need me to tell you this, but crowds are very minimal, as they typically are this time of year. Haven't waited more than a half hour for anything (though I'm guessing SV is longer than that now that it's not early entry), and have walked into the station on everything except MF (ramp wait), and Valravn. Of course, we rode Maverick at the end of Early Entry as well, so the walk up isn't probably indicative of how it's been most of the day! Lol.

TTD has stood for Tepid Thrill Downtime today, so I don't know if my two older kids will get their first ride on it today. Other than that though, most rides and coasters have operated, and operated well (aside from Corkscrew and maXair!) The food stands have been almost AWOL however, which is annoying when you have the All Day Dining Plan...

Still, it's a beautiful day, with little waiting, and lots of Cedar Point goodness! Can't wait to get another ride or two on Steel Vengeance later!