TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Steel Vengeance Media Day - Photo & Video Report

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this coaster solidifies Cedar Point as an enthusiast Mecca. Seriously, I think all of us will have to make an exodus out to f**king Ohio for this.

Insane hype, but it seems to absolutely live up to it. I can't wait to experience it myself. FL+ between SV and Maverick is the most dream-like day I could possibly imagine

I followed along all day yesterday and I am just so happy we decided to get platinum passes this year. The only question I really have is do those bunny hops coming back to the station feel like the ones on Lightning Run? It looks like they do in the videos.

Yes. Very much so!

Amazing report, Robb! The fog for media day makes the pictures look kind of ominous which only adds to the coolness of it all. Your pictures turned out fantastic, do you use a specific editing app? I have an iPhone SE as well so am always looking for ways to get pics looking better and yours are some of my favorites! The video of you with Ms. Hairtime is a masterpiece, seriously. I'm curious: were the employees lowering the restraints for you like they're doing on Twisted Timbers or are you able to lower them yourself?

I followed along all day yesterday and I am just so happy we decided to get platinum passes this year. The only question I really have is do those bunny hops coming back to the station feel like the ones on Lightning Run? It looks like they do in the videos.

Yes. Very much so!

Excellent I love when it feels like a coaster is trying to kick me off.

I told someone today "I spend less time ranking and counting because I want to spend more time RIDING, because that's the whole POINT of all of this!"

I have a ton of respect for a comment like this. I've echoed this plenty of times. I personally think top ten lists are silly, but that's my opinion. I can probably think of about ten coasters that come to mind when I think about my favorites, but I have no intention of ordering them or wasting energy over analyzing them. Fury probably shines as my favorite, just because for my personal tastes it clearly stood out above all of the other roller coasters I'd ridden at that point, and still does. Aside from that, I could give two sh*ts.

Thanks for the media report. The early morning fog seemed to be a proper way to introduce this intimidating looking ride.

Even the MCBR you hardly notice as at that point, as you need a minute to brace yourself for the finale sequence which is just insane.

Out of curiosity how many trains were running yesterday? One would think that MCBR would be noticeable if all 3 trains where on course. But what do I know?

There was only a single train on the track. The MCBR was completely off for media day.

The speed difference between the morning and afternoon was huge, but if I remember right it was around 46 degrees at 5AM, and was in the 60's when it ended at 1PM. I got 10 rides in but no bruises to prove it. If there is no trim added and the MCBR stays off it is going to be extremely powerful ejector airtime towards the end of the ride.

Steel Vengeance was for certain the main attraction - but THE FOG was an awesome 'co-star' in your super photos and videos!  (A scene-stealer!)  Thanks for sharing the contagious fun of a killer coaster.

P.S.  So...for human body curiosity....does this ride "take out the kinks" - or "put them in?!"  Those "bunny hops" look like 'mini-slingshots.'

Alice

Awesome coverage and report, Robb! The fog really did a fine job of creating a cool atmosphere for the media day. I also appreciate your comments regarding credit counting and ranking. It really is more about riding and having fun. As time has passed, I find myself less concerned about raising my count or ranking my top tens and more about simply enjoying the experience (good company always helps!), which is why I have long valued the TPR approach over the alternative!

Anyway, I'm super excited to ride this and it certainly looks like a big win for both RMC and Cedar Point!

Thanks to Robb, RMC and CP for the coverage - this has been such an incredible journey watching this beast get built. So much hype, teasers and anticipation...it seems surreal that it's almost opening day!

We are now seriously thinking about hitting this park on our way back from Branson in a couple of weeks. If the weather is halfway decent that weekend, we will be popping in and I'll be grabbing a FL+ for the day in hopes of getting a few rides!

Edit: I couldn't stand it...I just booked a room at the Breakers for May 12th - just hoping for NO RAIN (or snow)!!!!

We are now seriously thinking about hitting this park on our way back from Branson in a couple of weeks. If the weather is halfway decent that weekend, we will be popping in and I'll be grabbing a FL+ for the day in hopes of getting a few rides!

Edit: I couldn't stand it...I just booked a room at the Breakers for May 12th - just hoping for NO RAIN (or snow)!!!!

I fully support this behavior and expect a full report of your visit to both parks!

I'll be visiting the 11th of May, and will be arriving at 9:00 that Friday morning to get my one hour ERT on SteVe. How many rides do you think I'll be able to accumulate in that time period?

First of all. Don't call it SteVe if you don't want me to personally come to your house and slap you in the face.

Secondly, HOW IS ANYONE SUPPOSED TO ANSWER THAT QUESTION!?!?!?

The ride hasn't actually opened to the public yet. There hasn't been any early morning ERTs yet. There is literally NO DATA AT ALL that anyone could formulate an educated response to that question.

I mean, I'll just go ahead and answer "one" because I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get at least one ride on it during that time.

Seriously though people, are we really this uneducated that it's not obvious that a question like this cannot yet actually be answered?

Secondly, HOW IS ANYONE SUPPOSED TO ANSWER THAT QUESTION!?!?!?

The ride hasn't actually opened to the public yet. There hasn't been any early morning ERTs yet. There is literally NO DATA AT ALL that anyone could formulate an educated response to that question.

I mean, I'll just go ahead and answer "one" because I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get at least one ride on it during that time.

Seriously though people, are we really this uneducated that it's not obvious that a question like this cannot yet actually be answered?

SteVen sorry. I understand your stance. However, based off of other rides... Cough, cough... Maverick, I think we can make educated guesses". Granted, I'll end it here.

I fully support this behavior and expect a full report of your visit to both parks!

I am so weak, aren't I? A couple of awesome POV's and I cave like a house of cards and book a room!

A request for a TR? It shall be done!!!

^ I feel your pain after seeing all these videos and reviews. I made the last minute decision to take off of work on Monday to drive 4 hours there and 4 hours back for the pass holder hoedown. I thought I could hold off until the following weekend, but damn, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. 8)

Awesome footage all around, Robb!

I understand your stance. However, based off of other rides... Cough, cough... Maverick, I think we can make educated guesses". Granted, I'll end it here.

Maverick opened in 2007, well before the hype of social media and it's a completely different type of ride, different type of trains and restraints, different type of load/unload process, etc. I'm not even sure how you could compare the two.

I'm going to assume that there will be a *LOT* more people heading out for Steel Vengeance in the first couple of weeks of early morning ERT than there were for Maverick. I stand by my initial guess of "one." Thinking that if you are there first, you'll get one ride in, and by the time you get that one ride in, there will be an hour long line that would have built up while you are riding. And if you're not there first, you're in that hour long line...

So yeah... "one" is a pretty educated guess.