TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR 2017 Coaster Poll Results!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting results, and like everyone has said great job by everyone putting this together.

I guess the "surprises" for me are Storm Chaser being ranked so highly, then again everything RMC has built is on the list so it probably shouldn't be a surprise.

Also Kumba and/or Montu not making it into the top 25 is a little bit of a surprise considering those rides seem to always be highly ranked by people and are at a park that's pretty commonly visited so I'm sure they had plenty of votes. Montu finished at 31 (93.15%) and Kumba at 34 (92.27%).I'm guessing the margin of votes between separating like 20 and 40 was pretty close, then again maybe not.

Out of curiosity it was said that part of the poll takes into account how many coasters a person has ridden. Do these persons rankings offer more weight? Or am I not understanding that correctly?

And if so, If a person has ridden say 300 coasters, but only ranked a top 25 for this poll. Would that skew results at all? Just curious cause I personally was too lazy to go back and try to figure out how I would rank the 300-ish coasters I've ridden. Since I never rank coasters to begin with. I just did a top 25. But if this messed with any results I will try better next year to not be lazy!

Still kinda surprises me Fury 325 didn't crack the top 10. Love that these polls really show how varied individual opinions are.

Looks like a solid list! I hope that next year there will be even more participants from all over the world, more Asian coaster enthusiasts for example. That way the result will be even more representative. I will do my best to share the poll on the forums I'm frequenting to get some more ballots from European coaster enthuisiasts.

Thanks to everyone that made this possible.

And I'm interested in some statistics per ride manufacturer:

B&M

Intamin

Mack

Gerstlauer

Vekoma

Maybe it's also a nice add-on that you see next to every coaster in your personal ranking where it ended in the final ranking. So you can compare how your taste compares to everyone else's.

The last things are just suggestions. Thanks for the amazing result there is already.

Many friends have said to me, “I only like steel coasters. Wooden coasters shake too much.” It’s because Darien Lake is our big regional theme park and they’ve only ridden the Predator. Now I have evidence when I say, “the Predator is one of the WORST coasters in the world. Come with me to Knoebels.”

I also now have a list of destination coasters to keep me busy for many summers!

Thanks!

Out of curiosity it was said that part of the poll takes into account how many coasters a person has ridden. Do these persons rankings offer more weight? Or am I not understanding that correctly?

And if so, If a person has ridden say 300 coasters, but only ranked a top 25 for this poll. Would that skew results at all? Just curious cause I personally was too lazy to go back and try to figure out how I would rank the 300-ish coasters I've ridden. Since I never rank coasters to begin with. I just did a top 25. But if this messed with any results I will try better next year to not be lazy!

So, no rider has more or less weight compared to another, though the more coasters you rank, the more accurate the final results will be. So even if you have your top 25 in ranked order and then your bottom 100 all tied together (like with rank #573 or some arbitrary number larger than 25), that's still better for the poll then only ranking your top 25 and leaving the rest alone and not dragging them into position on your "ranked" list.

For example, if you ranked El Toro as your #1 and only ranked your top 25, El Toro would only be "better" than 24 other coasters on your individual ballot. But if you included your bottom 100 other coasters afterward, even if you tied them, El Toro would be better than 124 coasters instead of 24. Does that make sense?

Another thing that the poll takes into account is how many people have ridden a certain coaster. Pretty much everyone who has ridden T Express at Everland has loved it very much, but because less than twelve people marked it as "ridden" and ranked it in their ballots, it technically doesn't count when generating the final results. That twelve-rider rule is subject to change next year.

And I'm interested in some statistics per ride manufacturer:

B&M

Intamin

Mack

Gerstlauer

Vekoma

I'll get those for you later tonight!

Do the lower number of people who've ridden the coasters tend to skewer the ratings much higher? I expected T Express to do well but even though I put Atlantis in my top 10, I was surprised to see it in the top 30.

Awesome! Looks realistic, fair and balanced. So awesome seeing El Toro up there. After riding Lightning Rod and El Toro in the same season, it is still insane and deserves its top spot.

Robb, Chase and AJ, thanks for all the insanely hard work and hours put into this! I didn’t have a chance to get my ballot done this year aside from testing help but it is a priority next year.

Let’s get this passed along and get those participation numbers up super high for next year. I’m sure parks and manufacturers will embrace this in their marketing.

Looking forward to seeing how the pole evolves and how the results are presented. (Regional results, manufacturer results, etc)

Edited by rollin_n_coastin

I love these lists. I feel like they're totally balanced and they just 'make sense'.

... despite my best efforts. Sorry Mystery Mine, I tried but everyone really, really hates you.

I love MM too! I also have Scooby Doo's Spooky coaster still high on my list so there were definitely some odd/'mediocre' coasters that got high votes. #nostalgia

Looks like MM came in at #264 in good company with Flying Turns, Furious Baco, Invadr, and Fujiyama!

I was happy to see many of my top 10 in the top 25. I really need to get over to Mexico City to check that out. My favorite surprise was seeing Storm Chaser so high. I thought I had seen more bad reviews for it but I guess I was wrong.

Edited by Mrlittle

My favorite surprise was seeing Storm Chaser so high. I thought I had seen more bad reviews for it but I guess I was wrong.

IIRC - Most people went to Storm Chaser on a cold media day or early in the season and it didn't perform well. We brought a group late summer and it was running awesome! I'm guessing our group, plus others that went later or following years got much better rides than the people that first posted reviews.

Another random thought...

Congratulations to Movie Park Germany for having not only the worst wooden coaster on the planet...but also a bottom ten steel!

I actually like this park and I feel they're moving in the right direction. It will only get better when these coasters get bulldozed!

I feel oddly satisfied to see Time Warp listed as the worst steel coaster on earth. Generally, I can ride just about anything and have a good time (for reference, I rode Flight Deck, which is also a bottom ten ride, and thought it was a blast in a weird way). But when I got off Time Warp, although by myself, I actually verbalized the words: That was the worst roller coaster I've ever been on. Glad I'm not alone in this sentiment.

The poll was fantastic and gave a real solid representation of what I expected to be the most-enjoyed coasters on earth. Hope this becomes a yearly staple.

Great lists! Thanks for all the work that went into creating these. I've missed Mitch Hawker's lists for years, and I'm sorry - but the Golden Ticket awards just don't cut it.

Congrats to my home park, Lagoon, for having a Top 30 steel coaster in Cannibal! I never thought our little park would have a world-class coaster, but that it does. To think that it finished ahead of BGT's dynamic duo - Montu and Kumbu - among true coaster enthusiasts is dang cool.