TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

^I can agree that there is less airtime, but I attribute that to the fact that the GCI lap bars hold you in tightly, whereas the old PTC lap bars often sat pretty far off the lap, so any airtime was more pronounced.

I was initially a little skeptical about GCI trains on this thing, but after riding three times yesterday, I'm a big fan. Those old trains were falling apart, and even if a little airtime is sacrificed, the trains are super comfortable and a more roomy and open than those old PTCs. The public also seemed to really like it from what I could tell.

As for the rest of the park, Cannibal is still totally fantastic. The more I ride it, the more I love it. The first drop is completely ridiculous, and the "Lagoon roll" is so unique and full of hang time. Colossus is also running like a dream, and even though I've never been the biggest fan of Wicked, the first half is still really solid. Excited to come here all summer!

I had room between myself and the new GCI lap bar, really about the same as I used to have in the PTCs. However, I only rode it once and nearer the middle of the train. Today I'll get more laps and have more data to go off of. Those PTCs weren't falling apart at all. In fact, I'm 90% positive they got new chassis in the mid to late 90s. Lagoon added new lap bars and mechanisms to them exactly 10 years ago, as well as replaced the seats with more padded ones. We just won't talk about the on board lap bar monitoring system of 2009 that worked for a very short time. lol

I was never skeptical about these trains because Lagoon and it's ownership has always been about the rider experience and their actual experience on these types of trains is what sold them on them. They have proven time and time again that only when forced, do they neuter a ride (Samurai & Cliffhanger). Still would have been interesting to see what an ART Engineering Woodie Train would be like.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Still would have been interesting to see what an ART Engineering Woodie Train would be like.

Never say never. Lagoon could still try an in-house wooden coaster someday.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I went to the park again today.

Roller Coaster is still running one train, but this time the red one. Hopefully they will get both trains running soon because it really develops a long line. Luckily it moves fairly quickly due to dispatches often being only a minute or less.

Also, Samurai has finally reopened! It was testing all morning with employees and ended up opening in the late afternoon. Taylor and I got a spin on it as our last ride of the day, and I forget how crazy the cycle is compared to others I’ve ridden. It’s so much more intense (and longer) than Sol Spin! I’m glad to see it operating again.

The weather was absolutely beautiful (no clouds, sunny, 70-ish degrees), so the park was very crowded. Most rides had long lines except Colossus because that thing is a freakin’ capacity monster and eats people like no other. The single rider line on Cannibal is also fantastic. They fill every single car, every time. All parks need to do this on their coasters. It works so well and both lines move quickly.

I won’t be back for a few weeks, but overall it was a great day, and I was pleasantly surprised Samurai reopened.

Roller Coaster is still running one train, but this time the red one. Hopefully they will get both trains running soon because it really develops a long line. Luckily it moves fairly quickly due to dispatches often being only a minute or less.

Also, Samurai has finally reopened! It was testing all morning with employees and ended up opening in the late afternoon. Taylor and I got a spin on it as our last ride of the day, and I forget how crazy the cycle is compared to others I’ve ridden. It’s so much more intense (and longer) than Sol Spin! I’m glad to see it operating again.

The weather was absolutely beautiful (no clouds, sunny, 70-ish degrees), so the park was very crowded. Most rides had long lines except Colossus because that thing is a freakin’ capacity monster and eats people like no other. The single rider line on Cannibal is also fantastic. They fill every single car, every time. All parks need to do this on their coasters. It works so well and both lines move quickly.

I won’t be back for a few weeks, but overall it was a great day, and I was pleasantly surprised Samurai reopened.

Did you notice the on board lap bar position monitoring system working on Roller Coaster today? Also, in your opinion, do the lap bars on Roller Coaster seem less forgiving to larger riders than other gci trains you've ridden?

Samurai is now operating better than it has since before the gearbox failure in 2007, and I was pleasantly surprised being on the second public cycle. It was having issues finding zero during test rides, but seemed ok on our cycle, however, it didn't want to lower. Did you notice anything at the end of the day?

I am not too surprised the new trains limit airtime. There was a similar effect when Ghostrider replaced its PTC's with Millennium Flyers. While Ghostrider is a vastly superior ride now compared to what it was in its later years, there has been a noticeable reduction in airtime. Back when Ghostrider had the PTC's, the MCBR drop was absolutely insane in back row. (At least back when the brakes barely engaged). Today the MCBR drop is gone, but that drop has never delivered nearly the same insanity that it used to.

My favorite wood coaster in the western US is actually Timber Terror at Silverwood. It is a very well-maintained CCI that runs with its original PTC's. It is packed with airtime and crazy laterals with no discomfort whatsoever. I would be sad to see anything modified on that ride (except for the final two airtime hills, which are a little weak compared to the rest of the ride. Everything else is perfect).

Did you notice the on board lap bar position monitoring system working on Roller Coaster today? Also, in your opinion, do the lap bars on Roller Coaster seem less forgiving to larger riders than other gci trains you've ridden?

Samurai is now operating better than it has since before the gearbox failure in 2007, and I was pleasantly surprised being on the second public cycle. It was having issues finding zero during test rides, but seemed ok on our cycle, however, it didn't want to lower. Did you notice anything at the end of the day?

I wasn't paying attention to lap bar monitoring systems, sorry.

As for accommodation, they seem to be the exact same as every other GCI in terms of forgiveness. I know they "technically" aren't Millennium Flyer trains due to track gauge and what not, but for all intents and purposes the seats and restraints look and feel identical. They feel exactly like GhostRider and Mystic Timbers' seats, just without seat belts.

And yes, Samurai definitely had some issues trying to lower itself back down. Some rides it took forever, others (like mine) it was pretty quick. It never broke down the 4-5 cycles I was in line, so it didn't seem to be a major issue that would prevent the ride from operating.

I know they "technically" aren't Millennium Flyer trains due to track gauge and what not, but for all intents and purposes the seats and restraints look and feel identical.
These custom trains are the same gauge as all other GCI trains, as we're the PTC trains the same gauge as all others. I don't know where you got the information about a change in gauge, but it is absolutely incorrect.

I know they "technically" aren't Millennium Flyer trains due to track gauge and what not, but for all intents and purposes the seats and restraints look and feel identical.
These custom trains are the same gauge as all other GCI trains, as we're the PTC trains the same gauge as all others. I don't know where you got the information about a change in gauge, but it is absolutely incorrect.

I thought I remember reading it somewhere, but of course I'm probably wrong. But I do know that the park does not refer to them as Millennium Flyers. There is something about them that is custom, besides the headrests obviously. It must be something in the chassis/wheel assembly that we are unable to see, because the seats and restraints themselves feel just like other GCIs.

I thought I remember reading it somewhere, but of course I'm probably wrong. But I do know that the park does not refer to them as Millennium Flyers. There is something about them that is custom, besides the headrests obviously. It must be something in the chassis/wheel assembly that we are unable to see, because the seats and restraints themselves feel just like other GCIs.

I'm guessing the higher seat backs and on board lap bar position monitoring system may have something to do with the lower height requirement of 46", which may be why they are custom. I'm also thinking other GCI trains with theming may also be "GCI Custom Trains" and not Millennium Flyers.

I'd hope Lagoon hasn't contractually forbidden GCI from ever speaking about the project and we'll actually learn about these details whenever Lagoon decides to 'officially' open the ride.

Oh, and at the risk of repeating myself, I've met the guy who runs lagoonisfun.com and linearinduction isn't him, so what's that signature supposed to mean?

I'd hope Lagoon hasn't contractually forbidden GCI from ever speaking about the project and we'll actually learn about these details whenever Lagoon decides to 'officially' open the ride.

Oh, and at the risk of repeating myself, I've met the guy who runs lagoonisfun.com and linearinduction isn't him, so what's that signature supposed to mean?

Awww, I'm so flattered you are continuingly obsessed with me, but I already have a husband.

My favorite wood coaster in the western US is actually Timber Terror at Silverwood. It is a very well-maintained CCI that runs with its original PTC's. It is packed with airtime and crazy laterals with no discomfort whatsoever. I would be sad to see anything modified on that ride (except for the final two airtime hills, which are a little weak compared to the rest of the ride. Everything else is perfect).

It's great to see a comment like this, especially since Timber Terror didn't rank particularly highly in the TPR coaster poll. Oh, and since I see you specified the United States, I'm pretty sure it's my favorite in that category, too!

^^Neat to see three-across seating from back when parks would allow three people if they all fit. I heard that on Coaster (Playland), a third rider would would fall out on the second drop. I kinda doubt it, but then again, it's Coaster.

^^Neat to see three-across seating from back when parks would allow three people if they all fit. I heard that on Coaster (Playland), a third rider would would fall out on the second drop. I kinda doubt it, but then again, it's Coaster.

Hey, good eye. I've looked at that pic a lot of times, it's even on the wall of Roller Coaster's station now, but I never noticed that there's three people in the 6th row. I wish I could go back for a day so badly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

We're headed to Lagoon in early September (it looks like the last weekend before their haunt event) and I'm wondering if there's anything else worth doing in the Salt lake City area. The main purpose of the trip is to visit Yellowstone, but we're conveniently flying into SLC because this park looks super weird and I've wanted to go for years.

Also, if you have any general park tips let me know. I somehow know basically nothing about this place. I normally don't start planning anything this far in advance but hotels near Yellowstone are atrociously expensive and fill fast so we need to plan things out and book our hotels earlier than I normally would and I'm still trying to figure out how many nights we'll be spending up there.

Thanks in advance

^ For you I'd recommend checking out one (or some) of the local breweries. Red Rock and Squatter's are both in downtown SLC and are good. Wasatch has some good beers but I've never eaten there. They have a location near downtown.

Also, the sky ride at Lagoon is really slow and stops a lot. And they have a log flume that's... well, it's there. And I think I've seen it run at all times of the year.

Hey guys!

We're headed to Lagoon in early September (it looks like the last weekend before their haunt event) and I'm wondering if there's anything else worth doing in the Salt lake City area. The main purpose of the trip is to visit Yellowstone, but we're conveniently flying into SLC because this park looks super weird and I've wanted to go for years.

Also, if you have any general park tips let me know. I somehow know basically nothing about this place. I normally don't start planning anything this far in advance but hotels near Yellowstone are atrociously expensive and fill fast so we need to plan things out and book our hotels earlier than I normally would and I'm still trying to figure out how many nights we'll be spending up there.

Thanks in advance

Costco has the best price on All Day Passports, unless you are Military. I would put Bohemian, Red Rock, and Hopper's at the top of my Microbreweries list and Red Rock, Hopper's, and Bohemian have the best food IMO. Wasatch, Uintah, and Squatters are not my favs, but Wasatch's Food is alright.

Let's see, Kennecott Copper Mine, the world's largest open pit mine, Park City in general, Utah Olympic Park, the Alpine Loop around that time of year, oh, and the Nuclear Waste Dump in the West Desert.

There are also a couple alpine coasters in the area if you like those. I'm not sure when they close but I think they'll probably be open in late September.

The Park City alpine coaster is incredible, and I believe it is open year-round. I've ridden it in the middle of the summer, and the middle of the winter. Park City would be a great place to visit on your trip.

Hey guys!

Thanks in advance

I pretty much agree with everything said above (minus the beer stuff because, well, look at my age).

Even though their lines can develop quickly, Wicked and Cannibal both have single rider lines that work very well (almost every car is always full), and operations at the park are overall very good. I have also found that weekends after Labor Day tend to be manageable crowds, at least until Frightmares starts. My biggest gripe with the park is how quickly lock er space fills up (especially at Wicked and Colossus), so I would advise to wear button/zipper pockets to store your items in so you don't have to worry about that.

As for food, the park has an Arby's and a Subway plus a good teriyaki place down by Wild Mouse. Other than that, it's fairly typical theme park food options.

As the date gets closer, let me know if you'd like to meet up. I'll be going a lot in August and September!

Hey guys!

Thanks in advance

I pretty much agree with everything said above (minus the beer stuff because, well, look at my age).

Even though their lines can develop quickly, Wicked and Cannibal both have single rider lines that work very well (almost every car is always full), and operations at the park are overall very good. I have also found that weekends after Labor Day tend to be manageable crowds, at least until Frightmares starts. My biggest gripe with the park is how quickly lock er space fills up (especially at Wicked and Colossus), so I would advise to wear button/zipper pockets to store your items in so you don't have to worry about that.

As for food, the park has an Arby's and a Subway plus a good teriyaki place down by Wild Mouse. Other than that, it's fairly typical theme park food options.

As the date gets closer, let me know if you'd like to meet up. I'll be going a lot in August and September!

Actually, the locker issue is "Expired" rentals from people not pressing the "End Rental" button once they retrieve their items at Dragon, Wicked, BomBora, and Air Race. Games should probably have people check on the lockers every hour or so.

I would also say Bakery Fresh in PV and Mexican Hat in Carousel Plaza offer nothing like most park food and Swig is definitely Unique. My tip is always bring your own food or go to the Camp Ground Subway, which has a Full Menu and Prices like most other Subway franchises. There are also lots of restaurants around the park in Centerville and Farmington Station that are popular after closing eating spots. Bakery Fresh is definitely worth checking out and you get your money's worth and the the Olde Mill in PV is also highly recommended.