TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weight Management Support/Enouragement thread

bert425

Strangely I have lost 7 pounds in the last week despite being out of the gym for 6 days and I am at my lowest weight in years. 313 I can't wait to get down to the 300 range so it's less than 10 pounds till I say goodbye to that mean ugly "3"

Well . . . . I'm actually down 10 pounds in the last 2 weeks.

I drink a LOT of water (I try to get a gallon a day) . . . go to the gym every day I can (sometimes twice) for a cycling class.

I eat better . . . and I do intermittent fasting (alternate eating/fasting each day). Unconventional, yes . . but it works for me.

^I've been curious about the intermittent fasting thing. However, I tend to go to sleep pretty late (12 on weekdays and 2-3 on weekends because of work schedule differences) during which time I often unwind with some wine or maybe a snack. I'm not sure how feasible it would be for me to try, especially if I have to count the fast from the point I take that last sip of wine for the night.

Anyone else have trouble with eating (or drinking) late nights because of their work schedule?

^I've been curious about the intermittent fasting thing. However, I tend to go to sleep pretty late (12 on weekdays and 2-3 on weekends because of work schedule differences) during which time I often unwind with some wine or maybe a snack. I'm not sure how feasible it would be for me to try, especially if I have to count the fast from the point I take that last sip of wine for the night.

Anyone else have trouble with eating (or drinking) late nights because of their work schedule?

I'm a night owl, and due to working with overseas so much, It's very common for me to stay up until 2am

(I work from home 4 days a week tho, and don't get up until 9am, so I still get a decent 6-7 hours a night most nights).

so yeah, I sometimes tend to snack (or eat jelly beans or chocolate) late at night.

my "rule of thumb" I try to follow is: don't eat for 4 hours before I go to bed. . . tho I TRY not to eat from 8pm onwards (so if I'm "good" and then stay up until 2am, it's 6 hours to digest before bed).

I don't always succeed in not eating after 8, but it's what seems to work well for me

Went to KD today. Rode Racer 75, Grizzly, Backlot, Avalanche, Anaconda, FOF, and Intimidator 305. Dominator was down I checked it’s test seat and honestly if it got a good shove at the bottom it could probably barely buckle in a regular seat. Definitely a fun day especially the 10 night ride I305 marathon.

Went to Great Adventure today.... no walks of shame!!!! But unfortunately we are on "vacation", and holy shnikees... worst day so far since tracking my calories this past week... went 1,000+ calories over my allowance. I actually ate decent at the park (got a 250 calorie Caesar Salad and got apples with my burger instead of fries) but it was after the park that got me. It's a shame too, I was down to 246 lbs yesterday! (down from 258 in October) -- afraid to weigh myself when I get home tomorrow. We'll see!

Should get back on track once I'm home again, then again, we did just buy a bunch of hard ciders we can't get back home and we have Frozen slushie mix.... as long as I stay within my goals, though, i can cheat, right?

Weekly check in.

After the big drop last week of 7lbs I am happy to report I still managed to drop another 2 this week. I am at 257 and down 28 pounds since the end of January.

rough weekend (after a very stressful week).

although (for the most part) have kept up exercise I ate TERRIBLE this weekend . . after Passover Seder with friends on Friday night, we drove to Houston to spend day with my Dad and Aunt (who came to Texas, at 88, for the 1st time in 35 years). .which of course included, lots of eating.. then Sunday before heading back to Austin, stopped by my Spouse's Sister's house for Easter brunch.

so yeah. . a LOT of not-healthy eating.

I guess I can hold onto that I did do an hour on treadmill at the hotel on Sat evening.

but yeah. . not gonna weigh in for a week

glad to see others are doing well, but I'm struggling a little bit.

Started doing insanity today, ow. Working this routine in while I’m making my final push on the CPA exam. Put up a sticky note on my desktop at work that says “Twisted Timbers, Volcano, Dominator, Griffon, Alpengeist and InvadR” representing the six coasters in VA that I can’t ride because I’m currently too big, I think another 20 pounds of fat gone will get me on those or at least most of them.

Weighed in at the doctor's a couple of weeks ago and I was at 242-243 (at about 6'2"). Last year I was 250. That is despite working an office job (however, most of my meals during the week are relatively small and I almost exclusively drink water). For exercise, I go 30 minutes on the treadmill at my apartment complex's fitness center five times a week. I am fine on most coasters (I barely fit on Wicked Twister last year, but every other coaster I rode I managed to get on with little issues)

For the first time in 8 weeks I have failed. I gained 1 pound since last weigh in one week ago. I’m not going to get down on myself. This picture is 8 weeks ago vs yesterday.

FABAC5CF-63A2-4F89-980C-9D26B2CF368C.thumb.jpeg.b7f59a61a54a41e0d1e120715c8f947b.jpeg

can see the difference! doing great.

meanwhile, I'm avoiding the scale like it's hot lava. . . LOL

but back on my exercise plan today (after 5 days off due to being nice and sick -- downside of visiting/being around lots of kids for the Passover/Easter holidays last weekend). it curbed my appetite too, but still ate unhealthy, and no exercise.

so no weigh in until NEXT Saturday. hopefully will be back on track.

but I did go to Fiesta Texas yesterday, and no issues with any restraints, so that's good still!

Edited by bert425

Weighed in at the doctor's a couple of weeks ago and I was at 242-243 (at about 6'2"). Last year I was 250. That is despite working an office job (however, most of my meals during the week are relatively small and I almost exclusively drink water). For exercise, I go 30 minutes on the treadmill at my apartment complex's fitness center five times a week. I am fine on most coasters (I barely fit on Wicked Twister last year, but every other coaster I rode I managed to get on with little issues)

Sounds exactly like me, from the height/weight, to sitting in an office all week, to drinking water all day, to being active 30 minutes about 5(or 6) times a week, right down to almost not fitting on Wicked Twister a couple years ago.

Also, Ape - You're an inspiration! The difference in the photos is obvious!

I'm still on my same steez, though I cheated twice this week, both times for cheesesteaks. Living in Philly is hard!

I had a brutal weekend for eating because I ate like crap. My CPA grind is going to be limiting my exercise opportunities the next two months now so I will be mostly trying to minimize calories in until June 8th when I take what is hopefully my final CPA exam. Gonna try and eat 2,000 calories or less a day and stop eating after 7pm each day. The only exercise I will be getting will be walking Booker.

Thank you for the kind words.

To those that feel like their struggling don't let it get you down. Just because you ate bad for a weekend or a week or two doesn't mean you can't get back to what you were doing. All it starts with is one good eating decision or exercise to start the snowball back into healthy habits.

can see the difference! doing great.

meanwhile, I'm avoiding the scale like it's hot lava. . . LOL

but back on my exercise plan today (after 5 days off due to being nice and sick -- downside of visiting/being around lots of kids for the Passover/Easter holidays last weekend). it curbed my appetite too, but still ate unhealthy, and no exercise.

so no weigh in until NEXT Saturday. hopefully will be back on track.

but I did go to Fiesta Texas yesterday, and no issues with any restraints, so that's good still!

so finally got on the scale today. . yep, was bad.

put back on almost 8lbs. . knew it wouldn't be "good". . but I guess this is the kick in the pants I was needing to stop "cheating" so much, as i KNOW hamburgers, or chinese buffet aren't the best food choices so often.

so yeah, this morning was 194.2 - a gain since my last weigh in back at the end of March (186.4).

so after 2 1/2 weeks of not making good food choices, back to heathier eating.

I WILL be at my goal by the time I do my vacation trip later this summer.

hope everyone else is doing good?

My weight has yoyoed a lot over the last five years. My first stretch of weight loss in 2013 saw me go from 290ish down to 260. Since then, I was up to 305, down to 270, up to 315, down to 300, then up to the heaviest I've ever been of 325lbs a few weeks ago. I've recently come to terms with a having a pretty severe addiction to food, especially fast food. I can also tell you exactly how many and which brand fast-food restaurants are off of each interstate exit I pass to and from work. When I had a 60-70ish minute commute, I'd consider it a huge victory if I managed to make it home without getting off at another exit to get something to eat first. It's still hard with my current 30 minute commute. I'd also frequently sneak out of the apartment after my fiance falls asleep to find an open drive-thru somewhere, sometimes ordering up to $15-$20 of food, only to be really disappointed in myself afterwards.

I've tried a variety of things, but the only plan that ever worked consistently were weekly Weight Watchers meetings. My company recently rolled out various health-related discount plans, including 30% off WW memberships, so, truly tired of it all, I signed back up. I've really been trying to stick to it now and stop straying. I've got a wedding coming up in July, plus my weight now drastically affects the number of coasters I can fit on. I had a really great first week weigh-in: I was 321 when I signed up, and on Saturday I weighed in at 311.8. I know that the first week's results are usually the largest, so I know to not expect such drastic drops, but it still felt good to see how much weight I lost after a week.

Another positive that I've noticed out of tracking my food so specifically and making better food choices is that some of the foods I used to gravitate towards no longer appeal to me. I used to eat Wendy's frequently, but after I had a cheeseburger and fries on Saturday for my one "splurge" meal that I allowed myself, I felt pretty sick afterwards and regretted not just sticking with a grilled chicken sandwich or some other healthier choice. Going forward, I see myself being a lot more voluntarily selective with my "splurge" meals - actually wanting to keep things moderate and healthy rather than out of some restrictive need to conform to some weight loss plan.

It is rough having to deal with cravings. I would also sneak extra food. Like if I was picking up Arbys I would get my normal meal to bring home plus one or two of the sliders to eat in the car and dispose the evidence before returning home. It was pretty shameful.

Bert in a way you are an inspiration to me. I have for the last week been struggling with cravings and trying to justify well I have been doing so good this one meal wont hurt. That can send thing spiraling out of control though. The weight gain you mentioned is what I am afraid of so I will happily stay the course. At least you recognize what it going on and feel like you can fix it.

Now for my check in. I had gained a pound last week. but this week I dropped 3! I have officially hit 30 pounds lost since Disney. I am so pumped by this.

Bad news though, I have injured my foot. so for at least a week I will not be running. I will have to make sure my eating is on point. Lunch today will be awesome. Hummas Crusted chicken and zucchini.

Doing a lot better than I thought I would be after a few weeks in!

06c299faf1c947a764108c1b97b983f8.jpg

I'm about to hit the 1 month mark since starting tracking everything and I'm doing way better than I thought I would. This is without exercise, and I know with coaster season coming into full swing starting this weekend I know I'll get a lot of walking in to help, too. I was 258 in October so I'm about 15 lbs down from last coaster season. I did "cheat" yesterday, but I'm keeping that to once a week at most for now. I know that's not good, but it's better than 7 cheat days a week! lol.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement in this thread! And especially for recommending myfitnesspal. We all got this! Everyone keep it up and keep going!

glad to hear most folks are doing well, and Congrats to Cactus, and Ape!

Yesterday was "good" for the most part, tho a crash and burn yesterday evening (dang it, I wish we didn't have the Easter candy in the house). . . but yeah, I realize what's going on, and having a goal to work towards tend to help me out.

so I have a trip (Niagra Falls) in 6 weeks, and my big vacation in 14 weeks. . so I know I have to hit my goal of 15 lbs or more down by then. . I know I can do it

today is a fresh start to a week, so line in the sand (and on the scale) has been drawn.

the main issue I work against is the idea that "I've lost so much, what's a little cheating". . not helped by my Spouse either, who says "hey, you're still under 200, let's go out to eat". . which never ends well for me. . .LOL.

So, I've been out of town for a little over two weeks, and only just this morning finally got around to weighing myself.... And miracle of miracles, I *actually* lost weight during my trip! Normally I gain a couple pounds or stay even, but I've lost 3 pounds!

My guess as to why I lost this time around has a few factors. One, I had to go up two flights of stairs to go to the bathroom at my sister's house because the bathroom on the level we sleep in broke. Two, we did a full day of walking at the Kansas City Zoo just last Wednesday, and boy howdy did I feel that for DAYS after. Finally, we ate out less, and when we did eat out, I tried my best not to over-order; when we ate at my sister's I ate food that I bought for myself (my sandwiches and mashed cauliflower mostly).

So, anyway, I'm down to 243.8lbs. Can't wait to see 240!

Time for the weekly check in. With the bum foot I tried to adjust my eating for no exercise it seems to have paid off. I am at the 10 week mark since I changed my habits and this week I dropped 4 pounds putting me at 34 lost total.

Absolutely destroyed my eating this past weekend. Driving to Cincinnati my fiancee discovered there was a Bahama Breeze and she needed to stop since it's been a few years since we've been to one. Though we shared the main course to cut calories, I still ate like crap and got a giant dessert. Did more than DOUBLE my allowance. Yikes.

Then we did Kings Island on Saturday and ate well for lunch on the meal plan (gave my fries away and ate small meals) and that would have been good for the day, but we passed a BBQ place outside the park that we wanted to try and lo and behold I'm stuffing my face for dinner. Whenever I go to restaurants that are new to me I just want to sample everything I can. Ugh.

Sunday i tried my best not to eat ANYTHING so I only had about 1,000 calories total, so Sunday I tried to make up for it, but still.

Hoping to get back on track.

Last week was a bit of a wash for me. I did a lot of traveling for work (Monday in Brooklyn, Tuesday and Wednesday in Delaware, Thursday - Saturday in San Antonio). I started off the week really disciplined, watching what I ate, but once I was in San Antonio, I gave in a little bit too frequently. We went out to eat a lot and I ended up splurging pretty frequently (shrimp and grits at Bourdos, BBQ at Smoky Moe's, and there may have been a late night Pizza Hut delivery, too). Saturday I did a LOT of walking as I visited Sea World from 10AM to about 1PM, then went to SFFT and stayed until closing at 9PM), but I still had a couple snacks, including pineapple whip at Sea World and a brisket sandwich at SFFT. I decided to weigh myself on Monday morning to see where I stood, and after all of that I basically stayed exactly at where I was the last time I checked (311ish). I've been a bit more disciplined this week, so hopefully I have another loss come Saturday.

Double post, but new results - I had a tough time reacclimating myself to my old routine and had a couple moments of weakness throughout the week, but fortunately I managed to stay disciplined enough to be down 2 more pounds. This puts me at 309.8, down roughly 14 pounds so far.

The key thing I need to do is really step up my exercising routines. I've been going for walks at work, and being on my feet from 10Am to 9PM last week at SFFT helped (especially power walking up the Iron Rattler queue about eight times to close the night out), but I'm sure I'd be down even more if I would just do the workouts that I know I should and could be doing. That's going to be my focus over the next couple of weeks.

Hope everyone else had success this week, too!