Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:05 pm

Rai Fox wrote:I suppose I can understand why they got rid of the free soda; food and drink are a huge source of income for any park. Still, it really kinda sucks. That was kind of a signature thing for the park. The last year really has not been good to LC; I hope something great is coming soon to get the place going in the right direction again.

I think that it makes all sorts of sense to remove the soda, not only from a business standpoint, but why contribute to the obesity epidemic in this country by offering kids what they really don't need - unlimited high fructose corn syrup and unnatural dyes?

When we visited LC and Holiday World, there were kids downing that sh%t like there was no tomorrow and then they would just leave their half empty cups at the stand, which was a huge magnet for yellow jackets. Not to mention the overflowing garbage cans where there were swarms of bees, to where I could see bee allergies perhaps being another reason why they removed it.

Don't get me wrong, free stuff is good at parks - especially when families pay an exorbitant amount to spend a day. But I would rather see them sacrifice the soda for free sunscreen (like HW), as well as offer free bottles of water or decent-sized cups of ice water in order to prevent dehydration.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:11 pm

^ I didn't find Boulder Dash any rougher than it has been in past years during my visits. It's an incredibly aggressive ride, but not rough. The one bad spot (the former triple up) is now one of the smoothest parts of the ride.

I can't really defend the other stuff though.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Helix
Most Recent Trip Reports- Adventure City & Knott's Berry Farm

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby BoulderDash » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:51 pm

Soda is still free if you have a diamond or platinum season pass, so regulars are not really affected. I still will miss just being able to walk up to a stand and getting a cup. Now to get a drink you have to go to a food stand and have your pass scanned. I am waiting to judge this new system but it will either be really good or really bad depending on how long you have to wait. The plus side is the machines will likely be maintained more (they were in terrible condition last year especially on hot days) and the cups are now 16oz and you get a lid/straw.

I feel like a lot of the guests don't know about all of the negative things they did this season and will be surprised next time they visit. In the eyes of the GP, there are now not too many benefits that they have over Six Flags and their cheaper passes/new rides are likely more appealing. I still prefer LC over SFNE but they did way more wrong than right last season and I hope they can turn things around this year and in the future.

It is also confirmed that LC has inherited some parts and logs from Log Jammer and will be used on the ride. They said that they hope to have 7 boats running (doesn't seem like enough imo) and could do 8-9 on busy days with more staff. There will also be souvenir bottles that can be purchased for $13 and include free drinks for the day and $.99 after that. It says not valid during October though for the bottle, so hopefully they are still planning to give pass holders free drinks then.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:39 pm

^ Thank goodness! I couldn't believe they were only running 4 logs on the flume last year.
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Helix

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:31 pm

Hopefully that speeds up the line because I really like this parks log flume. Its constant 45+ minute wait is rough though.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby CoasterGuy06 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:34 pm

Rai Fox wrote:I suppose I can understand why they got rid of the free soda; food and drink are a huge source of income for any park. Still, it really kinda sucks.

If I remember correctly, Holiday World has said they had higher food per cap numbers after going to free soft drinks.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:55 am

Heads up: If you go the first few weekends, the park is running a BOGO deal on tickets.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby BoulderDash » Sat May 05, 2018 8:33 pm

The park opened today and while most of it was positive, there were a couple of negatives. First off, I feel bad for anyone that had to process a season pass today, because the line was in the tunnel, and some people reported waiting over an hour. Another negative is the drink situation. The park ditched their free drink policy and drinks are now for purchase only behind food counters. Diamond and Platinum season pass holders are still able to get free drinks (16oz), BUT you now have to wait in a potentially large line. The park was not super busy today, but I saw some insane food stand lines and people were reporting 30 minute waits just for water or a free drink. So that issue needs to be addressed asap because it is only going to get worse. I found the Croc Pot to be the easiest because you pour your own drinks there and usually the line isn't to bad.

So right at opening there were employees at BD's entrance saying the ride is not ready yet and I did not hear any testing going on. We headed over to Wildcat and got the second ride in the front. The ride is improved and it is not too bad but there are still some shaky spots. IMO this ride should have been completely re-tracked and painted before getting the new trains. I heard a guy behind me say "they did all this work to fix it and it is still just as bad!" I tested a couple seats and none of them gave me a headache at all, but there are some rough spots. They did do some work on the final turn around and following hill(top two layers replaced), but it honestly did not do much to help and was still shaky. I have mixed feelings on this whole thing but hopefully they keep doing a little work here and there and it gets better.

5.jpg

So after two rides, I got a little suspicious as to why I haven't heard a BD test run yet. One ride on Down Time revealed that there was no train in the station. My first thought was it valleyed somewhere but I was also thinking it could have been taken off the track for some reason. Turns out I was right and the train valleyed before the turn around. There were mechanics using a winch and eventually it continued on its journey.

1.jpg

So the south end of the park pretty much felt abandoned to me. Such a shame to see one of the park's signature rides abandoned and destroyed. IMO, the top three most unique things at LC were Boulder Dash, Sky Ride, and Free Soda, and only one of those remains. I am positive that guest satisfaction, enjoyment, and reviews are going to go south this season. I REALLY hope that the next major news that comes out of this park is positive.

31948232_2080228781991928_2228974721091764224_o.jpg

Went back to Wildcat for another ride and saw BD's train coming back and it was the slowest I have ever seen, it was crawling, not really a surprise but it was really cool to see. I figured it was going to stall again on the anti-rollback before the brake run and sure enough it did. Wipeout was closed too and it looked really bad. It looks like it was being worked on but the overall condition of it looked awful.

2.jpg

About 30 minutes later, they got it back in the station and had a bunch of employees come ride so it didn't valley. It was going really slow, but after 3 tests, it was opened. It is running well but needs to warm up still and won't be running to it's full potential until daily operations. The second train is still in limbo although I heard it is close to completion. Two rows were also out of order and I am pretty sure one of the rows had restraints that were not locking some of the time...

The park transformed the old paintball game building into a relaxation station which is nice and seemed to be very popular. Not sure what it is going to look like on very busy days though.
4.jpg

Zoomerang was down and Twister was having some issues. I didn't look into it too much, but it seemed like Saw Mill Plunge had more logs running than usual. Ghost Hunt had a huge line with only 4 cars running and there isn't much effort put into making sure those cars are full. Phobia was also running very well and had excellent airtime and speed.

Overall it was a decent opening day, but things could have went better. The park did make opening weekend a bring a buddy day which they have never done before, and they had a season pass/b1g1 ticket sale which led to some crowds. Hopefully next week will be better when they do not have bring a buddy, but I don't think the drink situation is going to get better unless they make some changes.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat May 05, 2018 8:59 pm

Great report! The lines for drinks will be an adjustment for sure, but as long as they keep Boulder Dash running well, I'll keep coming back.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ridden Boulder Dash in peak, mid-summer conditions in years. All my visits seem to be in early May or Haunted Graveyard. I should fix that this year.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Pear » Sun May 06, 2018 9:04 am

Such a shame to see my homepark get worse every year. I really hope they turn things around but I'm not very hopeful.
The best coaster is Boulder Dash

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!