TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

I will have a lot more to say later...

Just curious, does "later" mean in the next few hours, days, weeks, some other value, or do you not know yet?

Regardless, the video looks great! Can't wait for the reviews to pour in, and for me to possibly ride this thing someday!

Just curious, does "later" mean in the next few hours, days, weeks, some other value, or do you not know yet?

If I were a betting man I'd say within the next few days. You know, once he has the time to sit down and do a "photo trip report." I'm personally really looking forward to the report!!

The video looks amazing, and I'm glad SDC kept the spinning under control. This ride looks like something both my partner and I can handle (spinning wise) which is great to see, given that we were afraid we wouldn't ever be able to ride it in fear of the sickness it may cause.

Not just for us, but I'm also glad the spinning is kept under control to help appeal to the masses. That means more families will be able to enjoy it together without them having the same "ugh, spinning makes me sick" reaction!

So far it seems like another homerun for the park!!

That might just be the most fun ride at the park. Love how smooth and gentle it is. Very family-friendly and it gives you time to appreciate the crazy movements and unique views.

Great footage! The shots of that sideways loop, wow. :o

Any reviews from people that have actually ridden it yet?

I'm sure there will be once the park opens to the public. Fortunately, there's only about 6 more hours of offeason left.

I will have a lot more to say later, but for right now, here's the video we put together! The ride was GREAT!

Looks great! That station is incredible; LOVE the moving gears.

Heading up to the park right now, hard to believe after two years of documenting the construction process I am finally getting to ride this thing. Pretty stoked!

I am loving all the footage that came out from the media event yesterday. I will post my review later on.

This thing is gaining attention here in Cleveland. Considering that we have Steel Vengeance not even an hour to our west, it's pretty impressive that time traveler is being talked about here.

Ride looks great. Can't wait to eventually get back to SDC to ride.

For me personally, while Time Traveller looks like a fun ride, it doesn't look like it would blow me away personally. It doesn't spin a whole lot and the elements just look like average elements. I think it's an innovative layout that used the terrain well, but it doesn't look like it'll do more for me than a typical modern looping coaster would. That is my opinion and I respect everyone else's opinions, and it DOES look fun and I want to try it, but for me Time Traveller doesn't look like it will blow me away like a lot of people say, and it is a bit too overhyped in my eyes. Nevertheless I still think it is a unique and clever addition to Silver Dollar City and does look like a good ride, just not a fantastic ride like a lot of people are saying.

Its certainly a paradox of a coaster that is confusing to set expectations for. It looks very much like an extreme thrill coaster, but seems to actually provide a family-friendly ride experience if you can handle the drop and loops. Usually you would see parks wanting either something that is obviously gentle or obviously extreme, but SDC took a gamble here and went with something they think will have lasting allure to a broader audience.

I also think it's obvious that they went through several design iterations, as evidenced by some changes in the layout of the survey markers and other things early on. That's typically how projects like this go. It would not surprise me at all to learn that the original design was much more thrilling, but cost overruns and other factors made them move things around. The launch segments both seem like they were holdovers from an original design that used them perhaps more effectively. $26 million is a ton to spend for a coaster like this, and a lot of that went straight into the ground just to make the slopes stable.

It's also clear from a lot of the GP response that they are under pressure here to convince riders that it isn't going to be an ultra-extreme spin-till-you-puke ride, while at the same time playing up how unique and record-breaking it is.

What we are left with is a frankenstein of gentle and thrill elements, and somehow it seems to work out beautifully to create a distinct character for this ride that sets it apart and will have lasting value. There will be rides that follow this one that are much more extreme, but will they be as re-rideable, or have the same old simple fun factor?

Man, this thing looks incredible. One of these days I need to finally bite the bullet and travel to Silver Dollar City. With this and Outlaw Run in the same park, plus Powder Keg and Wildfire, it is high on my priority list of parks to visit.

Awesome video too! Wow! Amazing quality.

SDC app is reporting a 2.5 hour wait time. I know it's opening day but it is a Wednesday. Definitely seems like they have a hit

Sounds right. Outlaw Run had a 3 hour wait opening day. This is Spring Break for most area schools, so that's not unexpectedly busy.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

I absolutely LOVED the video, Robb! Looks incredibly fun and unique! I love that every ride on it will be different. Definitely looking forward to this.

Yeah, his video was pretty solid. I used to think his comments were obnoxious and unnecessary. As I've learned to take life (and myself...) far less serious I like laughing at his cheesy comments and I enjoy them. There are plenty of other good silent videos to look elsewhere if that's what you desire.

Maybe it was the "My titties are jiggling!" comment that won me over...

SDC app is reporting a 2.5 hour wait time. I know it's opening day but it is a Wednesday. Definitely seems like they have a hit

Out of curiosity, I took a look at their Trailblazer add-on and it looks like you can use one skip per day on Time Traveler. If I remember correctly, the park did something similar for Outlaw Run as well. Did that last for the entirety of Outlaw Run's first season?

Out of curiosity, I took a look at their Trailblazer add-on and it looks like you can use one skip per day on Time Traveler. If I remember correctly, the park did something similar for Outlaw Run as well. Did that last for the entirety of Outlaw Run's first season?

Yes, for 2013 and 2014 both. Then in 2015 they switched and allowed one skip on Firefall. The last couple of years there haven't been restrictions.

Awesome video! And for those of us in the "no-spin zone" (but who LOVE coasters), it seems like a heaven-sent ride. (I also appreciate that the rider can actually SEE and FEEL the experience without coming off dazed -- a perfect combo of sensation and perception!)

Alice