Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1678: Wildwood Grove announcement
Users viewing this topic: fireman1000 and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby bgtlover » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:12 am

bert425 wrote:
yeah, the other option (if we have to rent a car) is to look at flights into Greenville, SC (which has way cheaper flights, on Southwest.. .tho there don't seem to be many/any car rental places at that airport) :(

Bert...
Here is the link to the ground transportation options at the Greenville/Spartanburg International Airport. They have several rental car agencies there. There is Alamo, Enterprise, Avis, Budget, Hertz and Thrifty/Dollar Rent-A-Car there. (There is the smaller Greenville Downtown Airport that is a general aviation airport that likely has none in case you were looking at a map.)
https://www.gspairport.com/hire-ground-transportation/
Coaster Count: 125
Top 12:
1-Steel Vengeance...2-Fury 325...3-Maverick...4-Millennium Force...5-Storm Chaser...6-Mako...
7-Diamondback...8-Kraken...9-Montu...10-Banshee...11-Afterburn...12-Cheetah Hunt

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby middle_keeny » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:55 am

bert425 wrote:ok.. I fully intend to go back thru recent updates to this thread, but sometimes it's just easier to ask:

we're looking at our 1st trip to Dollywood in a few months, and will book at the DreamMore resort, with 3 day DW tix.

so that part I've got down. . airfare seems to be a big ol gotcha, with flights into Knoxville only offered by carriers we don't really care for. . but we can hold our noses and book anyways.

but here's the question:

Knoxville is an hour from Dollywood (and seems to be the closest airport). . . surely there's a shuttle of some sort that will pick up/ drop off between the Knoxville airport and DreamMore ?

does anyone know?

or am I going to need to get a rental car?

Knoxville is the closest airport. Nashville, Chattanooga, Lexington are all 2-3 hours. Not sure of your airline preference but Nashville, is the cheapest of the three. I live in Chattanooga and know there is a direct flight to DFW from there. Shoot, depending on the timing, I could give you a ride.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby jimmiemac02 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:32 am

bgtlover wrote:
bert425 wrote:
yeah, the other option (if we have to rent a car) is to look at flights into Greenville, SC (which has way cheaper flights, on Southwest.. .tho there don't seem to be many/any car rental places at that airport) :(

Bert...
Here is the link to the ground transportation options at the Greenville/Spartanburg International Airport. They have several rental car agencies there. There is Alamo, Enterprise, Avis, Budget, Hertz and Thrifty/Dollar Rent-A-Car there. (There is the smaller Greenville Downtown Airport that is a general aviation airport that likely has none in case you were looking at a map.)
https://www.gspairport.com/hire-ground-transportation/

I can confirm this. GSP is my home airport and there are LOADS of places to rent a car in Greenville (Greenville would also make a nice place to explore for a day). GSP is quite the drive from Dollywood though. One other airport to look at flying into (that I haven't seen mentioned) is Tri-Cities. It's about 2 hours away.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:53 pm

thanks everyone for the feedback! doing research now :)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby ASE » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:58 pm

Hey all...I'm back once again to drop some Dollywood news. A 5 acre expansion confirmed by Dollywood officials meeting with the Pigeon Forge Planning Commission. Exciting times ahead!
https://www.pigeonforgetnguide.com/blog/things-to-do/dollywood-expansion-2019/

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:02 pm

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:07 am

ASE wrote:Hey all...I'm back once again to drop some Dollywood news. A 5 acre expansion confirmed by Dollywood officials meeting with the Pigeon Forge Planning Commission. Exciting times ahead!
https://www.pigeonforgetnguide.com/blog/things-to-do/dollywood-expansion-2019/

Great news, very interesting that it is taking place behind Thunderhead. Looks like theyre trying to bring foot traffic back by that area.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby dstephe9 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:29 am

I'm not sure the marked area in the photo on the article is right.. it might be correct for the first portion of the expansion but those of us who visited in December clearly saw the expansion going as far as Mystery Mine (at Christmas it was as close as 10 - 15 ft from the Mystery Mine track) at that point, with markers going much much past that point. The markers actually went to the area of hillside accross from river battle. This is why everyone feels the river battle entertainment area will be the new hub.

While a lot of work is being done behind Thunderhead, there isn't really any access to the new area at Thunderhead. It's much higher up the hill

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby dstephe9 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:33 am

This is an older Google maps photo of the expansion and it goes much further than the marked area on the article.. while the rides and the new area might be behind Thunderhead, this expansion is covering much more areaImage

It looks like the photo that site posted is more for the new parking lot the built s few years ago! Hahaha

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:34 pm

Everything being cleared doesn't have to be for the actual expansion. There still needs to be infrastructure and things like that . . .
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!