Photo TR: Knott's, DL, and DCA in 14 Hours + Joshua Tree/LA

Knott's/DCA/DL/JTree/LA/Santa Monica + Recs for your LA trip
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Photo TR: Knott's, DL, and DCA in 14 Hours + Joshua Tree/LA

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:15 pm

Hellloooooo TPR!

My goal for 2018 is to visit a different park each month since I haven't been doing a good job at breaking away from the Cedar Point-Kings Island-Great America mold. January was a success and I've just gotten back from California. I'm happy to report this trip went over much better than anticipated!

Precursor: this trip out to California was originally just going to be to visit Joshua Tree National Park. As the holidays came around I got a Platinum Pass so I started researching Knott's. Easy. On the way to Joshua Tree. Perfect. Fly in Friday 2/16 for Knott's and spend Sat-Mon in Joshua Tree. So I got a night at the KBF hotel + the Karmel shuttle once I land to take me to the airport.

Getting closer to February...

Wait. Disneyland is only a 10 minute drive away. Holy crap. It's also open 'till midnight! Knott's is only open until 8pm! Xcelerator is closed... Maybe I can squeeze in both. It's been 10 years since I've been to Disneyland but I've seen everything, so I won't be missing out on anything rushing through.

So the plan:
Land at 8:30am
9am shuttle to Knott's
Knott's open until 3-4?
DCA for Cars/Guardians
Disneyland for Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Matterhorn

Sounds do-able? Okay, sweet. But if my flight is delayed that screws everything up. So I wouldn't buy a DL/DCA ticket until I was seated on the plane.

Fast forward to last Thursday. Weather looked good. Flight on time!
*Up at 3:30am Chicago time. Go go go. Seated on the plane. Ticket + MaxPass bought.
*Winds caused us to land at 9, so I was already 30 minutes behind schedule.
*Shuttle was effortless and I was the first dropped off. Amazing. Dropped my bag off at KBF hotel and headed into the park. No issue with the Plat Pass getting in!

Welp, Ghostrider was going to be 90 minutes all day. I waited about 70 minutes? Got a back seat ride.

Ghostrider 1x - It reminded me a lot of Legend (HW) in terms of laterals taking the spotlight over airtime. Absolutely silky smooth ride, but it didn't deliver the airtime I thought was going to be there. I would have loved to have ridden it more than once but it just wasn't in the cards for today. 7/10

I was a bit worried about growing lines for the rest of the attractions since it was already 11am, so I sought out Pony Express.

Pony Express 1x - This just wasn't what I was expecting. I definitely know a bit about each coaster of the park I'm going to visit, but I don't know the specs. Wow this ride was short, but hey it was running and I was able to get on it. It was tucked away in a corner of the park and it took me way too long to find it :lol: 5/10

Voyage to the Iron Reef 1x - Right next door and why not. Honestly, I liked this a lot! Even better than the Justice League rides. Why? It was taken at a comfortable pace and the 3D worked better IMO. The set designs were okay, but you're not just rushing through like I feel the JL rides do. Voyage's screens weren't blurry, the plot was simple, and everything worked. The dots were easy to see so aiming wasn't an issue. 8/10

Goddamn Coast Rider 1x - I love Mack rides. I love wild mouse coasters. WHAT'S WITH THE SHIN BARS?! I'm not even tall! The lap bar wouldn't touch my lap because the shin bar was preventing the restraint from coming down properly... I don't get it. It was a painful ride all the way through, but not as bad as Zeus so you're not the lowest coaster on my coasterpoll.com list! 0/10

Holding back tears as I went by Xcelerator, I went to Supreme Scream because drop towers are fantastic. The website led me to believe this S&S tower was a Combo Tower. Not the case, unless the 1 tower that wasn't open was. Regardless, it's a fun downshot S&S tower with views of downtown LA. I rode Supreme Scream 2x during the day.

By now it was getting close to noon and my body has no idea what's happening because I've been up since 3:30am running around. It's time for some Boardwalk BBQ! Shoutout to the user in the KBF thread that posts pictures of their food often.
Only gripe here - I told the woman behind the counter that I wanted to keep a light stomach so I could try all of the amazing food offered at KBF and even though the pulled pork was only offered in 1/2lb portion, she said she could give me 1/4lb (other meats like tri-tip come in 1/4lb option). Well that information wasn't relayed to the cashier and they emphatically told me I was given 1/2lb portion and wouldn't budge. There were no scales around so fine, I don't know who's in the wrong but I'm not going to spend any more time arguing when my clock is ticking.

Boysenberry beer was great! BBQ was solid with a good amount of sauce variety to pair with.
Tip - Boysenberry beer is Shocktop + Boysenberry concentrate mixed. Even if you're not a fruit beer guy (I prefer IPA's/pale ales), it's a good refreshing beer on an 80* day.

Okay great, food is in my system and my body is happy. What's that? I can take my beer wherever? Excellent, let's get on the flume!

Timber Mtn Log Ride 2x - I knew Splash Mountain was going to be closed so I relished my two rides here even more. I love flumes and this was a great flume, right up there with Movie World Australia's, Splash Mtn, Log Chute @ MOA, and others. The mix of animatronics, smells, surprise drops, and acceptable amount of wetness had me laughing and wide-eyed the whole way around. 10/10

Calico Mine Ride 1x - A visual timeless thrill. There was so much going on it was a crime that I was only able to ride it once. Lock me up. 10/10

Silver Bullet 3x - Of all of the coasters open today, this was one that I was looking forward to more with Xcelerator closed. Ghostrider was a let down for me, so that lowered me expectations even further since I've always known this ride to be the start of the decline of forceful B&M coasters. Soooo..
What's up guys? Silver Bullet was GREAT! Sure the lift hill feels steeper than the drop itself, but this invert flowed so well through each inversion, pulled some G's, and had unique elements like the overbanked kicks! Loved this ride and I'll put it right up there with Raptor and Banshee. 9/10

Sierra Sidewinder 1x - Similar to Pony Express, I was let down by the duration of the ride. I was excited about the type of ride since I hadn't been on an outwardfacing spinning coaster, and right as I was starting to have fun the ride was over. 6/10

By now I had noticed that Montezuma's Revenge wasn't showing any signs of life - it never opened while I was there.
Who knew the only launched coaster running at Knott's would be Pony Express..

Jaguar 1x- The last credit of the day was an easy one. It's just a fun ride and these Zierer coasters are growing on me. Orange Streak and Jaguar are such fun rides for everyone. 6/10

By this time it was getting close to when I expected my room to be ready so I grabbed another boysenberry beer, re-rode the flume and Silver Bullet on my way out. My room wasn't ready yet so I grabbed a local IPA at the bar while I charged up and I wasn't even 3 sips into my beer when I got the text that my room was ready!

From here on out every minute counted so I slammed the beer, got the keys, might have eaten chex mix in the shower, and called an Uber to Disneyland around 3:30.

I wasn't allowed to wear my Spectacles/Snapglasses on Silver Bullet but didn't have any issues elsewhere - am I okay to post screen grabs from my rides?
20180216_111208.jpg
I came alllll the way from Chicago for this!
20180216_113940.jpg
What do these two have in common? They both look great.
20180216_114943.jpg
2. As in 0-2 for Intamin Accels outside of Cedar Point
20180216_120813.jpg
BBQ pork with the goods. At this point I was starting to think the beer was going to be the best part of KBF.
IMG_20180221_161711.jpg
I knew this was going to be closed but it was just so surreal in person. The area isn't even blocked off.
Snapchat-770032256.jpg
The beer was fantastic!
20180216_123728.jpg
One of the most visually thrilling rides in the world.
20180216_130149.jpg
What a surprise! Silver Bullet was fantastic!
20180216_131314.jpg
I'm all about boysenberries now
IMG_20180221_161705.jpg
1/3 on launched coasters today...
20180216_154304.jpg
View from the hotel room.
Last edited by PKI Jizzman on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:00 pm.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Knott's, Disneyland, and DCA in 14 Hours

Postby Philrad71 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:21 pm

Beer, food and coasters...a great start to your trip report! :b

Postby bert425 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:36 pm

agreed, GREAT start.

and your pics are really nice, what kind of camera? or is this an iPhone?
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby SoCalJasonland » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:32 pm

Boardwalk BBQ with Boysenberry beer or cider is always a good choice. Unfortunately, Knott's does have a few really short coasters in their collection and they did mess up Coast Rider; but there's still a lot of fun to be had.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:44 pm

Great report! I have a 12 hour layover in LAX in June, so I'm strongly leaning towards spending that time at Knott's. Hopefully HangTime and the two launched coasters are back up and running.

GhostRider had a 120 minute wait in 2016 on a day when nothing else was more than 20 minutes. That line is painful! I was only able to get one ride, but I thought it was a very good coaster. I really liked the laterals you noted and remember there being some good air too.

Silver Bullet is arguably the worst invert I've been on, but that doesn't mean it's a terrible ride. I do like that funky overbank on an invert and the finale.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Wisp Resort & Fun Fore All

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:12 pm

Boysenberry beer is worth all the hype. Too bad you didn't get to ride Xcelerator or Montezooma's Revenge, those are great. I agree that Silver Bullet is way underrated. I rode it more than anything else except Ghostrider last time I was there.

Great start to the report, and looking forward to your Disney time next.

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:28 pm

Great report so far! Thank you for sharing.

I totally agree about Silver Bullet. It has a different feel from the other B&M Inverts, but in a good way. It definitely pulls Gs, and its pacing is perfect.
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby Shut It Down » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:52 pm

Honestly, you went in with too high of expectations on Ghostrider as I did a couple weeks ago. Living in so cal my whole life I was blessed to ride it right when it opened and it was the most insane ride I had ever been on. Over the years it got progressively worse but I still loved it. When I heard of the overlay by gci I thought it was going to back to the insane glory of 1999. I finally got that ride a few weeks ago, in the very back, and sadly just like you was disappointed. I rode today in the front and it was amazing, not like 1999 but an amazing ride. The front made me a believer in Ghostrider again, amazing!!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:52 pm

^^^ & ^^ Silver Bullet totally, happily surprised me, since I hadn't heard/read that much appeal for it. And every
body was chatting about every other coaster at Knott's, including Jaguar! <yawn>, at the time. I really
enjoyed it a lot, so much so, I know I rode it at least 6 times...or more. :wink: So there's one coaster
that Knott's should definitely push more, even now, as old as it is. It's a great invert.

THANKS for what you've posted here! Looking forward (of course), to all you snapped of the Disneyland Resort! :mickey:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:32 pm

Great report from Knott's! =) I'm sad that Xcelerator was closed for your visit. It's truly a great coaster! I enjoyed my first visit to Knott's Berry Farm in 2013, and I must say the park is fantastic! I can't wait for the other reports!
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!