TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^Thank you for posting that!

This ride is one of the most intriguing defunct KI rides to me, mostly since I've been through the queue and building for Haunt/long Mystic Timbers line and as mentioned, a lot of the theming still exists, although most of it makes no sense with the Haunt maze they now have.

Tomb Raider looked to be an amazing and unique ride, and I wish I could have experienced it back in the day. I hope someday they can use that building again for a dark ride or indoor coaster of some sort.

Given that I never rode this ride as Tomb Raider or The Crypt (and haven't been in the haunt), I found this to be very interesting. Sad that it didn't work out somehow, but I'll take Diamondback and Mystic Timbers as suitable (and more efficient/reliable) replacements for that area.

Tomb Raider was my absolute favorite amusement attraction ever. Watching these videos is almost painful for me, knowing (as was the closing sentiment of this featurette) that we will probably never see something like this again.

I'm sure that the former TR building provides a nice space for storage, and an excuse for a seasonal haunt, but honestly I do wish they would remove the building in favor of a more aesthetically appealing attraction. But of course that is all subjective.

Watching that video reminded me that I rode it as Tomb Raider The Ride in June of 2003. I knew it was a Huss Giant Top Spin, but that's okay, because I loved the regular sized ones! The only themeing that I specifically remember is the hold, when it lowers you down into the lava, and then releases you. I'm going back to KI this May for the first time in at least 10 years. I wonder if walking in that building will jog any more memories.

I feel like the idea of raiding tombs brings up an interesting ethical conundrum:

Is raiding tombs an equivalent to grave robbing? Is it alright to rob graves and excavate scared sites if its for the preservation of history and for scientific discovery? We wouldn't know nearly as much about our past if it wasn't for these missions. But some might argue that the dead and their belongings should stay buried.

Thoughts?

Never saw that video but it was on my recommend video list for a while. I remember only riding the ride once and i hated it, but then again i was like 7 and didnt like the fact that i couldnt see anything and i wasnt to fond of amusement park rides. Now that i look back at it, I wish i could have rode it more times. I rode the Crypt at KD last year and I loved it!

One thing to point out that;s not pointed out in the video (but kind of common sense), When CF took over and took the third row off of the ride, the ride experienced a lot of downtime, mainly because the ride was NEVER SUPPOSED TO OPERATE WITH TWO GONDOLAS.........................im not trying to bash on CF......but they ruined an amazing ride.....

Hopefully Mike or someone in Cedar Fair will use that building for something here soon for than for Madame Fatale's.

I remember reading in this thread about a hotel to avoid in the Kings Island area. I'm looking to book a hotel for 3 nights in May, and would like to avoid the dumpster fire if possible.

Any suggestions on good hotels at reasonable prices in the area would be appreciated.

I took this picture of Kings Island on Sunday. Not sure I've ever seen anyone attempt this view before, 'cause it's quite the distance.

That's incredible! Nice work spotting the park from that far away. I only think 1% of TPR realizes how impressive that shot is.

I remember reading in this thread about a hotel to avoid in the Kings Island area. I'm looking to book a hotel for 3 nights in May, and would like to avoid the dumpster fire if possible.

Any suggestions on good hotels at reasonable prices in the area would be appreciated.

Just avoid super 8 at all costs and you should be ok.

I took this picture of Kings Island on Sunday. Not sure I've ever seen anyone attempt this view before, 'cause it's quite the distance.

Dang!! Nice going! Quite impressive to get that view from Downtown Cincinnati

Tomb Raider: The Ride is one of my obsessions even though I never went on it or (thankfully) The Crypt. But wow, other than the show building this ride had Universal level theming. As much as I adore Diamondback and Mystic Timbers, I wish Cedar Fair could have just bought the licensing rights to keep Tomb Raider (which would have paid off since that IP was in a huge decline in 2007, but has just recently resurged in popularity). Anyway, here's a great article about it that the Defunctland video is based off:

BhemeBarkBourist.com/features/20160207/31467/tomb-raider-how-one-americas-best-ever-themed-rides-was-buried-good

Edit: I guess this is a site that we can't link to on here lol sorry Robb

Just avoid super 8 at all costs and you should be ok.

I (once again) will voice dissent with this commonly held opinion/statement, as I stayed in that Super 8 near Kings Island just last year, with my three kids, for two nights, and it was a fantastic experience, for the money. The kids loved it there, especially the nice Continental Breakfast, and the pool, and I liked the cheap cost, and the free shuttle to KI that saved me the cost of parking! I would gladly stay there again while going to KI, and assuming the price was cheap, and I feel like whatever issues it may have had before that led to its bad reputation, I saw none of that when I was there, less than a year ago. I would actually recommend the hotel, especially to anybody with kids. And as a parent, that is not a recommendation that comes lightly.

That super 8 was the nastiest hotel we have ever stayed in. Roaches,stained carpet, stained bed sheets, hair on bed and in the tub, water leak, dirty toilet, run down conditions, and extremely rude staff.

I'll try and find the pictures if I still have them, if not they may be in this thread a few years back.

Found them here.....

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70330

Sounds weird, but you could book a room at the Great Wolf Lodge for 30% off if you order within about a week and your trip is before May 25... 80 Dollars for a Night and a water park sounds pretty sweet (at least for me )

https://www.greatwolf.com/mason/deals/spring-getaway?ctcampaign=7071&ctkwd=great%20wolf%20lodge%20ohio&ctmatch=e&ctcreative=255105324673&ctadpos=1t1&ctplacement=&ctlocid=9017217&cttrgtid=kwd-3538191241&ctfeedid=&ctnwk=g&ctdevice=c&ctadgroup=46940863850&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgcq6lb7b2QIVCLnACh0tGQ-QEAAYASAAEgLptvD_BwE

EDIT: I did more research on that... It's not 80 Dollars... More like 300. Oops.

Anyone have any experience at Wyndham Microtel on Beach Blvd? I booked my room there for my June trip.

I'm staying there for coasterstock as I'm 18 and that's the only place that will accept 18 year olds at check in. I've heard from a friend that's it's a clean, no frills hotel.