TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Vortex is not getting converted. Geez let it go.

And you know this how? Did the dipping dots guy give you some inside knowledge? Dude, Cedar Fair has been on a mission to rid themselves of stand up coasters. Common sense should tell you the last one is getting it too.

Well this is an interesting move. I'm surprised that they're opening a SpringHill Suites franchise and not a park branded hotel. The park is located right off of a major interstate so it would very likely be successful even if Carowinds didn't exist. It seems like they're playing it very conservative here.

For the consumer this is great. Part of the reason I NEVER stay at theme park hotels (even if they're reasonably priced... see: DreamMore) is because it makes way more sense to stay with hotel chains with loyalty programs where you can earn or use points for your stay and rack up nights that help you unlock different status levels with point bonuses and extra perks for the following year. If you're a Marriot rewards member this is awesome, especially if the park offers additional incentives for staying there (like early entry, discounts on Fastlane and/or admission, package pickup or something along those lines). Staying at a park hotel AND earning meaningful rewards? What a time to be alive.

I am 100% for Vortex getting converted because it would go from a terrible coaster to a moderately fun ride.

Eh...I think it would lessen the experience. Making it floorless would be fine, and it would still be fun, but Vortex isn't as bad as some other standups (IMO). Sure, many people would be happy with it floorlessified, but I think it would lose its uniqueness in the process.

At the rate Cedar Fair is going though, I would not at all be surprised to see it converted eventually.

Vortex/Patriot at Cali's Great America is shorter in length than Vortex at Carowinds; so if it worked out well for Great America's stand up, why not for Carowinds'?

It's not as bad as the aging Arrow coasters, but it'd be much more re-ride-able as at sit down or floorless IMO.

FYI, this will be owned and operated by Carowinds. Just licensed the Marriot brand.

I know that. I just think it's interesting that they're paying for a brand name rather than just running their own hotel outright without having to worry about licensing. It's a win for the consumer because of the Marriot rewards program, but an interesting choice for Carowinds.

For me, it says that they're playing it conservative and plan to compete with the nearby Motel 6, Clarion, Quality Inn, Country Inn and Best Western for the I-77 market (since they're right off the exit) to help make this a profitable venture (especially when the park is closed). They can come up with incentives to rope in the people going to Carowinds that the other hotels can't, but without a name brand you would have a tougher time capturing the road trippers who don't care about the park at all that (I'm sure) make up a huge portion of the hotel market off that exit.

It's a safe way to dip their toes into the hotel market. They have Cedar Point, but that's a really unique situation. If this works I would expect them to do it at other parks. I'd keep an eye on Kings Island, Kings Dominion and maybe even Dorney and World's of Fun since (like Carowinds) they're all in locations where a hotel could be profitable even if the theme park didn't exist.

And you know this how? Did the dipping dots guy give you some inside knowledge? Dude, Cedar Fair has been on a mission to rid themselves of stand up coasters. Common sense should tell you the last one is getting it too.

It may get converted eventually...but not for 2019. Something will be going in the area that White Water Falls, Sand Dune Lagoon & Thunder Road's station was, including the flyers that are on hiatus this year while construction takes place.

It may get converted eventually...but not for 2019. Something will be going in the area that White Water Falls, Sand Dune Lagoon & Thunder Road's station was, including the flyers that are on hiatus this year while construction takes place.

We'll see...

Cedar Fair let that empty space sit at Canada's Wonderland for awhile...I'm guessing they'll do the same thing here at Carowinds. Canada's Wonderland is getting the huge investment in 2019. Dorney looks to be doing the same thing Knotts did. Too many patterns here. The stand up conversion every 2 years is looking very promising. I can see your prediction happening in 2020 though. But CGA also may be getting that hyper too soon. Carowinds may have to wait for their next big coaster in 3 - 4 years.

There were two floorless conversions, and they were in 2015 and 2017. I don't at all think that means that CF has decided they will do floorless conversions every two years. The years seem pretty irrelevant to me, honestly.

I also think Canada's Wonderland was an unique case that caused them to wait multiple years without their new ride for 2019. I'm confident in that. Unless another rare situation happens at Carowinds very, very soon, I don't believe they'll be waiting too long.

That said, I do think it's likely Vortex would be converted in the next few years, depending on how Patriot goes. I also don't know that Rougarou could be called a massive success (especially given the price I've heard), but I'm not entirely in the position to say for sure.

Either way, exciting things for sure happening at Carowinds, and at many different parks in the chain! Very excited for the future of this company.

Stand-up coasters are a weird breed. Different height / body type can lead to such a wide range of feedback on these things that it's honestly kind of nuts. For example: I hate every standup coaster I've ever ridden EXCEPT for the Carowinds Vortex. I actually kind of like the thing. Go figure....

Stand-up coasters are a weird breed. Different height / body type can lead to such a wide range of feedback on these things that it's honestly kind of nuts.

This is so true. Vortex (Carowinds) and Apocalypse are two of the worst roller coasters I've ever ridden, while Riddler's Revenge is one of my all-time favorite B&Ms! It's basically the "Kumba of the West" in terms of massive, forceful B&M loopers. Not only are they so subjective to enthusiasts, but each one is subjective to the other as well.

^ I totally agree with you on Riddler's Revenge. Such a good ride. Only other stand up I've been on is Green Lantern at Great Adventure, and that ride sucked. I did the same thing in both rides, and I didn't find either painful, but Riddler was fun and Green Lantern just wasn't.

We'll see...

Cedar Fair let that empty space sit at Canada's Wonderland for awhile...I'm guessing they'll do the same thing here at Carowinds. Canada's Wonderland is getting the huge investment in 2019. Dorney looks to be doing the same thing Knotts did. Too many patterns here. The stand up conversion every 2 years is looking very promising. I can see your prediction happening in 2020 though. But CGA also may be getting that hyper too soon. Carowinds may have to wait for their next big coaster in 3 - 4 years.

" Project Alpha", which is shown in the permits filed (shown 3 pages ago), were filed in South Carolina (York County). Vortex, Hurler and the hotel are all in North Caroina. If it were a Vortex or Hurler conversion, the permit (s) would have been filed in NC (Mecklenburg County). The project will be in the area noted in my previous reply. There will be no Vortex conversion in 2019.

Stand-up coasters are a weird breed. Different height / body type can lead to such a wide range of feedback on these things that it's honestly kind of nuts. For example: I hate every standup coaster I've ever ridden EXCEPT for the Carowinds Vortex. I actually kind of like the thing. Go figure....

And that is the one stand-up I dislike most. Honestly I always found the Togo ones more comfortable. Even if there's airtime on a stand up.

I've had stand-up coasters that I don't mind but Vortex was terrible for me. It really is a situation where you have to go on the per-coaster basis. If it's ok for someone else that's cool, just didn't work for me.

And that is the one stand-up I dislike most. Honestly I always found the Togo ones more comfortable. Even if there's airtime on a stand up.

"Even if there's airtime on a stand up" .. OK it didn't increase the comfort but it was wonderful. Stand up coasters without airtime (B&M) killed the genre. It's what makes a good one. It also would be very handy for a floorless conversion too though. I have my doubts that Vortex, Apocalypse or GL would make a decent floorless either, they're rather slow and boring. It's possible, Apocalypse at least has a lot of curves, but no way would any of them come close to the breathless pacing of Dominator without a big change of layout or adding LIMs. .

We'll see...

" Project Alpha", which is shown in the permits filed (shown 3 pages ago), were filed in South Carolina (York County). Vortex, Hurler and the hotel are all in North Caroina. If it were a Vortex or Hurler conversion, the permit (s) would have been filed in NC (Mecklenburg County). The project will be in the area noted in my previous reply. There will be no Vortex conversion in 2019.

Thank that’s all I’m saying. It MAY eventually happen but definitely not in 2019. I wouldn’t be surprised if they throw up another meme saying “STILL STANDING”. I’m betting they’re going to see how ridership changes with the addition of the carousel being next to it this season. I don’t see much but you never know. I’m not a fan of vortex im more a GA Scorcher and Riddler’s Revenge. We all know the later versions of stand ups are far better than the first gen standups thank to ever changing engineering and technology.

We'll see...

Thank that’s all I’m saying. It MAY eventually happen but definitely not in 2019. I wouldn’t be surprised if they throw up another meme saying “STILL STANDING”. I’m betting they’re going to see how ridership changes with the addition of the carousel being next to it this season. I don’t see much but you never know. I’m not a fan of vortex im more a GA Scorcher and Riddler’s Revenge. We all know the later versions of stand ups are far better than the first gen standups thanks to ever changing engineering and technology.

We'll see...

Bah...That's for the hotel. They could always file another permit later. I'm still keeping hope alive. Vortex in 2019!

Is anyone else like me and hope they just scrap Vortex rather than convert it? I know they did Vortex at CGA, but Carowinds is a much larger park, and how marketable would something like Floortex be? Plus the ride would be mediocre, at best. I don't know. I guess I just hate the ride so much I'm getting ahead of myself.