TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/02/d23j-update-star-wars-hotel/

Last summer, we announced plans for an immersive Star Wars-inspired resort to be built at Walt Disney World Resort. Tonight we’re happy to share more details on what this thrilling new resort, which will be seamlessly connected to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, will be like.

This first-of-its-kind resort will combine luxury with complete immersion into an authentic Star Wars story. Guests’ journey through space will start when everyone departs together for a multiday Stars Wars adventure by boarding a starship alive with characters and stories that unfold all around them during a voyage through the galaxy.

At the resort, guests immediately become active citizens of the galaxy and can dress up in the proper attire. Every resort window will also have a view into space. The opportunity for immersion at this resort will also stand out among all Disney resorts around the globe, as it will be seamlessly connected to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, allowing guests a total Star Wars experience.

Keep your eye on the Disney Parks Blog for future updates on this fascinating place!

swh3498234-624x321.png.d00c509cfe70c7a17853ef8030747f2c.png

Edited by jedimaster1227

The Mickey ride sounds like it's going to be incredible. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being the best attraction of the entire expansion.

I really give Disney a ton of credit for taking on this attraction because it probably isn't the smartest move in terms of getting a return on investment (and based off the construction time frame and technology it seems like quite a large investment). They are opening up two giant new lands in the park over the next two summers that are extremely hyped. From the general public's perspective, this ride probably won't be a flashy addition considering it's taking over a preexisting building and replacing a former attraction. So it may not bring in too many new or 'unique' guests to the park. But it will go a long way in making the park experience more enjoyable for all the people who aren't able to get Star Wars fast passes or even into the land in general during its initial summer.

I'm not into Star Wars, so I doubt I'll ever pay the premium to stay there...but the concept of a completely immersive hotel experience sounds awesome!

I also love the idea of "old timey cartoon" being used as the theme of a dark ride.

The opportunity for immersion at this resort will also stand out among all Disney resorts around the globe, as it will be seamlessly connected to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, allowing guests a total Star Wars experience.

Will be interesting to see how this resort will be "seamlessly connected" to Galaxy Edge.

I am so excited for both of these experiences! The Train Ride can be really cool, but we don't know what technology it will use yet. There's rumors, but nothing concrete yet....

The best rumors and info.I have found out/read about this....is that the ride will use trackless vehicles.

And soon along the way, the train cars "detach" them self from Goofy and the main engine,

and each other, and start a journey/adventure something like Mystic Manor at HKDL.

This is the best rumors/information I've read, and would like to think this is how it's going to be done. For now.

P.S. Two (supposed) trackless vehicle attractions opening in the same year at the same park?

EDIT: And the art concept shows only three train "cars" there, attached to Goofy's engine. I assumed there would be

at least four or more train cars for each group of guests riding along? Time will tell.

Edited by Nrthwnd

The opportunity for immersion at this resort will also stand out among all Disney resorts around the globe, as it will be seamlessly connected to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, allowing guests a total Star Wars experience.

Will be interesting to see how this resort will be "seamlessly connected" to Galaxy Edge.

Your permission to spend the night inside of DHS is loaded into your Magic Band and security won’t kick you out at night.

I think it would be cool, if the hotel had some kind of family "Retro Screening Theater",

that shows old OLD "ancient" Disney films...which of course, are all current year movies of Disney/Pixar.

If the hotel is "seamless", wouldn't that mean there would be some kind of transport hub between the hotel and Star Wars Land? Like Hogwart's Express?

DHS will be the park after SW land joins the line-up. From a CA perspective, I hope they blow up part of Toon Town to fit in the M&M attraction.

^^I'm super Curious to see how much attendance switches to Hollywood Studios in 2019, and 2020 when SWL opens. I'm certain it will stay ahead of Universal and overtake Epcot and DAK for second place in the area, and I wonder if it can soar even higher than TDL or up towards Disneyland.

With the extreme length of time it's been since Disney updated this park it will also be interesting to see if rides like Rockin' and ToTT still have long waits or if everyone just swamps the 4 big new rides.

Now, I've just read at another site that M & M's Runaway Railway (M&MRR?) is following the same track as the Great Movie Ride did,

so that would mean it won't be trackless. And that some of the audience cars from Universe/Energy would be used for this, too.....?

Hmmm. Well, a little sad if this is the way it's actually going to happen, fine. They're promising new

film screen firsts, so it has to ride more "motion-based", than just gliding through scenes? Maybe?

Time will tell.

Now, I've just read at another site that M & M's Runaway Railway (M&MRR?) is following the same track as the Great Movie Ride did,

so that would mean it won't be trackless. And that some of the audience cars from Universe/Energy would be used for this, too.....?

Hmmm. Well, a little sad if this is the way it's actually going to happen, fine. They're promising new

film screen firsts, so it has to ride more "motion-based", than just gliding through scenes? Maybe?

Time will tell.

What the...? The article at Theme Park Tourist can be dismissed. That's not the case. Trusted insiders have stated that while the "train cars" are inspired by GMR, they are not from GMR at all. The "trains" will be 4 (small, not GMR) cars long plus the engine. The old ride system was scrapped. There's a new layout that will use about 85% (I believe was the stated amount) of the current GMR space and will run 5-6 minutes.

The story seems to line up with what's been stated though.

Originally, I wasn't a huge fan of the new art style for the cartoons, but after watching a few episodes, it's really grown on me. The new cartoons are genuinely funny and really enjoyable! I guess my only concern would be if they radically change the art style again in 10 years or so and then the style used in the ride may seem out of place... then again, I'm hearing that the ride will utilize a lot of projection mapping, so maybe updating the attraction as needed wouldn't be such an issue. Either way, really looking forward to riding this! I think it will just be an all out "fun" attraction (nothing "thrilling" or "wild"... just one of those rides that you find yourself laughing on and always come off with a smile).

Time will tell.

Trackless technology is basically just changing the underground wire to underground sensors that guides the vehicle. Not that much different. They can definitely use the wire for the “train” part and new embedded sensors for the separated path part.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/02/toy-story-land-to-open-at-walt-disney-world-resort-june-30/

TSLNS23801.thumb.jpg.bdd0174fd3570d6a38944c6618071fb7.jpg

It’s official! Toy Story Land, the highly-anticipated toy-filled land inspired by the beloved “Toy Story” films, will open to guests at Disney’s Hollywood Studios June 30, 2018.

When it opens, guests visiting Toy Story Land will “shrink” to the size of a toy and join in on the fun Woody, Jessie, Buzz, and Andy’s other beloved toys are having in Andy’s backyard. Here, guests can take a ride on Slinky Dog Dash, a roller coaster Andy has assembled from his Mega Coaster Play Kit and topped off with Slinky and Jessie. (Check out the time-lapse video above of one of Slinky Dog Dash’s first test runs).

Families will also be able to take a spin on Alien Swirling Saucers, a galactic play set that Andy won from Pizza Planet. Here, adorable little green aliens swirl about in their flying saucers with guests in tow in their rocket ship toys, while “The Claw” hangs overhead.

Guests can also walk through a new carnival game box to experience Toy Story Mania!, which has been a guest-favorite attraction at the park since it opened in 2008. Now expanded with a third track, the popular attraction will put even more guests in the action taking aim at 3D objects – using everything from baseballs to cream pies – in a variety of whimsical, fast-paced games.

Woody’s Lunch Box – actually, Andy’s lunch box that he’s set on its side – will serve up tasty meals and old-fashioned soda floats from a walk-up window setting. The entire land will serve as a visual celebration of toys, with Crayons, Cooties, Green Army Men, Rubik’s Cubes, Tinkertoys, and other familiar toys and game pieces incorporated into the land’s design.

tsl23840239423-624x352.jpg.28aa6f9f36e2e1eb1d241c201756b92a.jpg

tsl3409583409585-624x352.jpg.ec6d1a0b5091ddb454f8cf2a567e4378.jpg

tsl98374598347.jpg.0a8117ad750b7c4ab2df3d3e2362576d.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Is this the largest (length, footprint) family coaster above ground, they've ever created and built? Just curious.

Dwarfs Mine Coaster is more compacted in a smaller space; HKDL's Runaway Mine Train might be longer.