TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Riddler's prep was a power wash. The color you're seeing now is the underlying primer they painted everything before the final coat. It is indeed surprising to see Ridddler's peeling like it is. The corkscrew out of the MCBR has had a spot that started peeling mere weeks after they finished the repaint.

Revolution got the same treatment and I don't think it's peeling anywhere, so maybe it is the type of paint they use, I'm not sure. Surprising indeed...

Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't use actual primer on RR. You can't prime with normal paint. Other paint won't stick to it. Primer is not just an undercoat. It is a flat non-gloss paint that is specially designed to bond to what coat is laid over it. Looking at the photos of when they were painting it the "primer" appeared to be regular colored semi-gloss paint.

I'm pretty sure the company that was contracted to paint the ride wasn't that stupid. There are most likely other factors involved.

What if those aren’t trims but actually magnets that encourage the cars to spin, a la the free spins?

Maybe they can use them to try to right the car as it enters the station so they don’t have the stuck upside down problem anymore.

No, they're just magnetic brakes. The spin on Green Lantern cannot be manipulated like the S&S models. The only thing they can do, besides slowing the ride down, to control the spin is to put a magnetic brake on the spin axis of the car itself. The reason that Green Lantern doesn't 'spin' as well as other Intamin counterparts is because of a stronger brake.

So now it may not spin at all? I guess it's just a drop ride now lol

In the shocking news of the day, Apocalypse is actually open! I'm not sure how long it will stay open for all things considered, but a nice turn of events nonetheless.

This is great news. I was going to spend a day at the park tomorrow and initially was disappointed that I wasn't going to get to ride it.

I haven't been to many parks, so I like jumping on threads to see what's good/not good in y'alls opinion if I ever get a chance to go. Saw y'all talking about Green Lantern being painful so went to YouTube to see what kind of ride it is. It looks really similar to the new Joker ride we got at SFOT and it's not painful at all. What makes this one painful?

I haven't been to many parks, so I like jumping on threads to see what's good/not good in y'alls opinion if I ever get a chance to go. Saw y'all talking about Green Lantern being painful so went to YouTube to see what kind of ride it is. It looks really similar to the new Joker ride we got at SFOT and it's not painful at all. What makes this one painful?

Two things - the center of gravity is very different in the cars, and the way Magic Mountain stops them from spinning results in some very awkward intense forces. There's a similar coaster at Grona Lund called Insane that is a lot better.

...There's the original coaster at Grona Lund called Insane that is a lot better.

Fixed. And why doesn't SFMM go over to Stockholm and check out how they run INSANE at Grona Lund? Huh?

I loved it, loved the lesser version in Linannmaki Park, Helsinki, and yet, SFMM's version....stunk. Period.

Edited by Nrthwnd

...There's the original coaster at Grona Lund called Insane that is a lot better.

Fixed. And why doesn't SFMM go over to Stockholm and check out how they run INSANE at Grona Lund? Huh?

Its not that they dont know, its like a ostrich with its head in the sand thing. And Insane did come before GL, but isn't technically Kirnu the original?

The loading platform is nuts, too. I still needed a little `helper step ladder`to get into the seat. I mean WTF is that?

It's not so at Grona Lund. Easy on and off the vehicles. Last two visits I remember it.

^^ Yes, you're right on that. But I loved them both, for the easy on and off

they provided, and the AWESOME ride they gave you!

This was just all wrong, at SFMM. They had to put a ride op on the vehicle I was on, just to "balance it."

And she wasn't too eager to be a part of my ride experience either, I could tell. I didn't envy her situation.

Lesson Learned: the ones in Scandinavia Rawk!

And during WCB in 2016: It was easy to see that GL was NOT that popular, at the time, considering the day turned into

a really busy day there. But GL was really avoided. I was practically solo on it, as was my ride buddy, Bryan, who rode it

in the evening, before we left the park.

I know it was already mentioned that Apacolypse has reopened, but I thought I’d share why it was down. A few days ago they were replacing what looked like a gearbox for the chain lift. [attachment=0]4B36E9BB-74FA-4A49-9E8D-3A753FFBF62A.jpeg[/attachment]

You a part of the construction crew for Newhall Land And Farm? I've noticed you guys moving HUGE amounts of earth back there. It's too bad the park doesn't own any of that land so that they could build a big coaster out that way.

How were the lines on Sunday just curious as I almost went and might go this coming Sunday. I know it was a BAFF for 9.99 right and next Sunday is a normal BAFF.

And where is the Single Rider line for JL?

The JL SRL is in the second preshow room. After the show in the second room there are two exit doors, standard to the left and single rider to the right.

How were the lines on Sunday just curious as I almost went and might go this coming Sunday. I know it was a BAFF for 9.99 right and next Sunday is a normal BAFF.

The JL SRL is in the second preshow room. After the show in the second room there are two exit doors, standard to the left and single rider to the right.

I've never understood that. Single rider line AFTER you've had to wait to get into the pre-show?

I've never understood that. Single rider line AFTER you've had to wait to get into the pre-show?

I agree, it'd be nicer if you could somehow skip the pre-shows entirely, but it's still pretty nice to skip the whole last queue.

www.californiacoasterkings.com/six-flags-discovery-kingdom-six-flags-magic-mountain-solar-powered/

"Six Flags Magic Mountain’s system will have capacity for nearly 15 megawatts and will be the largest solar carport anywhere in North America."

"In addition to generating a large percentage of the parks’ electricity, the solar carport structures provide a number of enhancements to the guest experience, including:

Covered parking for the majority of parking spaces

Integrated electric vehicle charging stations

Increased security through new closed circuit cameras and

Enhanced parking lot surfaces."

Opinions and thoughts on this?

www.californiacoasterkings.com/six-flags-discovery-kingdom-six-flags-magic-mountain-solar-powered/

"Six Flags Magic Mountain’s system will have capacity for nearly 15 megawatts and will be the largest solar carport anywhere in North America."

"In addition to generating a large percentage of the parks’ electricity, the solar carport structures provide a number of enhancements to the guest experience, including:

Covered parking for the majority of parking spaces

Integrated electric vehicle charging stations

Increased security through new closed circuit cameras and

Enhanced parking lot surfaces."

Opinions and thoughts on this?

Super cool! I wonder when this project is set to start and be completed.

^^It sounds like they want the solar project complete by sometime next year.

Random question #1, does anyone have any footage of the old Batman station effect with the mist cannons? Like how it used to blow mist as the train advanced from the holding brakes into the station?

Random question #2, can anyone think of ride effects or park effects that used to work but don't anymore? From what I can remember, there's the infamous Goliath mist tunnel and X2 mist/lights at the first drop and last raven turn. Didn't Superman used to have some sort of atmospheric/lighting effect in the queue/station?

A 15 MW rooftop solar project (same as carport) is absolutely massive. I'd be really interested to see the layout and detailed plans for this - generally you need a several acres of coverage per MW. Hoping this project comes to fruition, as it's great to see more solar projects take shape along with the Great Adventure solar farm even after the new solar import taxes.

^^It sounds like they want the solar project complete by sometime next year.

Random question #1, does anyone have any footage of the old Batman station effect with the mist cannons? Like how it used to blow mist as the train advanced from the holding brakes into the station?

Random question #2, can anyone think of ride effects or park effects that used to work but don't anymore? From what I can remember, there's the infamous Goliath mist tunnel and X2 mist/lights at the first drop and last raven turn. Didn't Superman used to have some sort of atmospheric/lighting effect in the queue/station?

Mist and lighting on Terminator. Mist in Goliath's line. LOL Be nice if the park got all of the effects like this back to working condition. It would also be awesome if they added an LED light package to the trains (blue, orange, and green on the matching trains) on Twisted Colossus.