TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

If CF does give us a wood coaster, my hope is that it is an RMC ground up and not a copycat Hurler re-do...

I mean, technically a Hurler conversation would be a steel-hybrid anyways... it will be interesting to see if/when Hurler at Carowinds gets converted if it would be a clone or if RMC & CF would go with something different. Guess it depends how much Carowinds/CF would be willing to invest.

My vote would be to remove the steaming pile of s**t that is Nighthawk as use that land for a nice GCI. This park definitely has an interesting future and tons of possibilities.

Yes, Nighthawk has seen better days for sure and a new GCI would be an AWESOME replacement for our beloved (and very missed) "Thunder Road".

I have to say though, ever since Holiday World got Thunderbird, I thought Nighthawk's spot would be perfect for a launched wing. There has been some chatter about a Vortex re-do much like CGA's Patriot but I think the majority of Carowinds fanboys would prefer that both Vortex and Nighthawk be replaced or just removed for future attractions. I could be wrong.

Count me in the "No copy-cat coaster conversion" camp.

If CF does give us a wood coaster, my hope is that it is an RMC ground up and not a copycat Hurler re-do...

I mean, technically a Hurler conversation would be a steel-hybrid anyways... it will be interesting to see if/when Hurler at Carowinds gets converted if it would be a clone or if RMC & CF would go with something different. Guess it depends how much Carowinds/CF would be willing to invest.

My vote would be to remove the steaming pile of s**t that is Nighthawk as use that land for a nice GCI. This park definitely has an interesting future and tons of possibilities.

My hope is that they eventually get rid of both Nighthawk and Vortex (scrap the former, ship the latter off to Michigan's Adventure as a floorless) and use that spot for a big steel looper, maybe a wing rider.

A GCI would go nicely in the land that's been cleared around the old Whitewater Falls spot.

So I plan on taking my first trip to the park this summer. Plan: fly into CLT, take cab to hotel across the street, hoof it to and from the park each day (unless there's a shuttle), enter/exit through the south gate.

In the likely event of walking to/from the park each day, how often is the south gate open? I remember reading that it's only open on select days, but wanted to confirm.

^If the South Gate isn't open (which isn't likely to be open at opening time anyway as they open it once the lot gets so full or it's a holiday...at least historically), then the Carolina Harbor entrance will be. However, I don't believe that entrance opens until close to 11 when CH opens. You'll be able to exit the South Gate however after CH closes. They do this for people who parked at that end.

South Gate won’t open until daily operation begins which after Memorial Day even then it’s just on Saturdays and Sundays. The waterpark entrance however will open at 11am with CH. Fortunately if for guest who park on that side and stay until closing time the do let you exit out the South Gate since CH closes about 3hrs before the dry side closes so since you’re not able to go back through the waterpark.

If the South Gate isn't open...then the Carolina Harbor entrance will be. However, I don't believe that entrance opens until close to 11 when CH opens. You'll be able to exit the South Gate however after CH closes. They do this for people who parked at that end.
South Gate...open...just on Saturdays and Sundays. The waterpark entrance however will open at 11am with CH. Fortunately if for guest who park on that side and stay until closing time the do let you exit out the South Gate since CH closes about 3hrs before the dry side closes so since you’re not able to go back through the waterpark.

Gives me that much more reason to sleep in. I'm going to be spending three days at the park, so it's not like I need to rope drop it. But it's good to know that I can still exit through the south gate.

They could remove both Vortex and Nighthawk and replace that area with a kicka$$ wooden coaster from GCI, and that would still be a gain in my eyes. Those two rides suck big time and take up a decent amount of real estate.

If we're gonna talk about the park adding in a GCI, let's look at something we know will be leaving within 36 months: Dinosaurs Alive.

This morning, NBC Charlotte (and other news outlets) were on a construction tour for Camp Snoopy. During the tour it was confirmed that Woodstock Gliders (Flyers) won't be back until 2019 as part of whatever they are doing by WWF. I know this will be quite upsetting to many knowing it's popularity.

It's around the 13 minute mark. The reporter calls it Flying Ace Aerial Chase, but, it's understood what she meant as this was the area it was in.

https://www.facebook.com/NBCCharlotte/videos/1963187117056102/

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

For some reason I have a weird feeling this will be a Dive Machine. I guess that weird feeling is entirely because CW is getting one and Valravn at CP appears to be a hit. One could look great right in that spot too.

They won't be getting a Dive Coaster (or B&M for that matter) any time soon. Just because CP has one and Canada's Wonderland MIGHT be getting one, doesn't mean one is coming to Carowinds. This will likely be a GCI woody (something the park actually needs) taking up the area formerly occupied by White Water Falls, kiddie pool and Thunder Road's station (with the flying scooters placed somewhere in the leftovers).

Dollywood is my home park and I have to say Lightning Rod is still plagued with down time and long lines so I wouldn’t see them going with a launched RMC and ground up RMCs are so rare that I don’t see that happening either but some other ideas I have is a launched B&M wing coaster, RMC Raptor, or an RMC T-rex and of course the GCI

I like the B&M wing launch and for Carowinds but don't know if there's room in that spot unless they build over (or on top) of some things.

As for RMC, I would choose the T-Rex over Raptor due to the capacity* issues some folks are predicting they are going to have. Carowinds can get crazy busy, especially during Scarowinds.

*Seems RMC could't just use the same single rail track for both trains and modify them accordingly. I dunno

I don't believe Carowinds (or CF for that matter) are going to go with a launched RMC anytime soon. With it being relatively close to Dollywood, I don't see the point (same with a Wing Coaster). I could see them going with Gerstlauer (launched Infinity), Premier or Mack who seem to be more reliable as of late. And of course who wouldn't want an Intamin Blitz (my preference for a launch)? I guess we'll find out in the next few months what's coming when the signs are more telling. Still believe however this will be GCI.

1. I don’t think Hurler is getting RMC’d anytime soon. The KD one was because it was in terrible shape and was in a dead area of the park. Carowinds’s is relatively smooth and provides a solid family coaster experience.

2. If this is a 2019 project it will probably be either a GCI or a raptor. With a dive being all but confirmed for Canada’s Wodnerland, Cedar Fair would likely build something less expensive in the same year (plus with Kanonen possibly coming to Dorney too, idk). And it would be a great fit. They need a really good woodie now that Thunder Road passed on.

www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/02/12/carowinds-plans-development-on-northeast-side-of.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMTWT_CH&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5a81f2474b7385000723c789&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Could the permit be for a hotel?

Carowinds plans development on northeast side of park

By Ashley Fahey – Staff Writer, Charlotte Business Journal

Feb 12, 2018, 2:17pm EST Updated Feb 12, 2018, 2:25pm

The amusement park will begin construction on a five-floor, 130-room SpringHill Suites by Marriott hotel this spring on the northeast corner of Carowinds.

Edited by larrygator

Yes there will be a hotel (whether or not the permit on the page before is for this or not, I'm not sure of).

From that article:

Carowinds will soon begin site work to make way for a development on at least part of the land it rezoned last year.

The amusement park confirmed it will begin construction on a five-floor, 130-room SpringHill Suites by Marriott hotel this spring on the northeast corner of Carowinds. The Charlotte Business Journal previously reported that the 24.2-acre parcel at 14523 Carowinds Blvd., which Carowinds rezoned last year, was pegged for a SpringHill Suites hotel.

Expected to break ground by the end of March, the hotel will be owned and operated by Carowinds as a Marriott franchise. It's the first hotel that Carowinds will develop, though its parent company, Cedar Fair Entertainment Co. (NYSE: FUN) out of Sandusky, Ohio, owns four hotels elsewhere.

The hotel will include suites as well as a pool, fitness center, small bar and an outdoor seating area with a fire pit, according to Lisa Stryker, director of communications at Carowinds. The SpringHill Suites is expected to open in the summer of 2019.

Stryker said there are no other confirmed plans for the remainder of the site and that Carowinds is "always considering the best use of land." Cedar Fair acquired the land in 2011 for $810,000. A conventional rezoning request last year rezoned the land to a light industrial zoning designation that permits a wide range of commercial uses.