TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TRs: Jayke's Park and Travel Trip Reports

EDIT: Thanks to me finally starting to be able to travel this year and a perfectly timed bump post (from a bot account?)  in this thread to remind me I even made it, I'll be posting more TRs in here. Some will be of some visits to parks last year, but most will be from my recent and future trips this year

- Lagoon - Pg. 1

- Frontier City - Pg. 1

A Memorial Day Saturday at Lagoon

My family decided to take a family vacation out to Utah to start out summer break. Our trip was mainly sight seeing the natural wonders of Utah, but we decided we would take a day or two to check out the Salt Lake City area. The first day was mainly touristy stuff, but the second day, we hit up one of the best classic amusement parks in North America. Let's just say... memories were made. Simply put, we had an amazing time at Lagoon despite the insane crowds. I must say this park does not get talked about as much as it should be. Just this one day spent at lagoon was enough to seed it as my #2 favorite park, just behind Silver Dollar City and above Carowinds. I don't know how to describe Lagoon as its just so incredibly unique. Ill give you my thoughts about the park, then i will get into the pictures.

Appearance - Lagoon is a surprisingly beautiful park. It has an amazing setting between the mountain range and the Salt Lake. The park has a great appearance from the architecture, landscaping, freshly painted rides, and surprisingly theming. I love the classic appearance of parts of the park. It's like stepping back in time! The park is has very colorful landscaping and is very wooded, which really surprised me (Something that would be happening a lot that day). A lot of the rides also had some quality theming. Some of thier flat rides had simplistic themes, while cannibal and rattlesnake rapids were nicely themed. Also the entrance area had some very cool water sculptures!

Operations - Going in, i was expecting average to slower operations as this tends to be the trend with most american style parks. But this was not the case with Lagoon. They had insanely fast dispatches, ran all trains or vehicles on the rides, and made sure every seat was filled. This helped with the crowds that day. At most we waited 30 or so minutes for Wicked. Wicked was the only ride that had poorer operations. The loading process was very complicated as they for some reason decided there needed to be 3 different queues for wicked, the main queue, single rider, and preferred seating. Single rider and preferred seem to be higher loading priority than the main queue which made it move slow. But thankfully i got many rides on it in the morning before the crowds piled in.

Cleanliness Lagoon has to be one of the cleanest parks ive visited. And yet again, no one talks about it (Its a shame, i know). All the bathrooms, queues, paths, and restaurants were all spotless!

Now, lets get into the rides. I'm not going to review every ride at Lagoon as that's 1 - a lot of rides to talk about and 2 - I didn't ride every flat or coaster. Ill just talk about the notable rides starting with the flats.

Cliffhanger I have seen videos of this ride for years. I have always wanted to ride this even if it has a boring cycle. Let's just say, i've never got more soaked on a ride in my entire life, water rides included. It seemed that they tried to bombard riders with water jets every which way humanly possible. It made for a fun ride even though all it did was lock the seats upside down or did loops.

The Skyride I do not know if thats the actual name of it or not This one offered great views of the midway. Though it took ages to get from one end of the ride to the other as it seemed it had to come to a complete stop every 20 feet.

Spider This was my first Mauerer Spinning coaster and first Maurer in general. The queue line had some very nice theming, but it dumped you into a typical fairground station which was odd. Also i must say the entrance to this ride is awesome! I love the giant spider! The ride itself was very fun! It was very smooth, had some nice forces, and spun at the perfect rate. 7/10

Bombora A very nice family coaster! The trains looked cool but the onboard audio was not working. The ride had some nice forces and fun twists. Not much else to say about it. 5/10

Roller Coaster Wow, what a great name! Jokes aside, this ride really surprised me! I had no idea such a small coaster could pack in so much airtime. Its a shame that it has the individual PTC lap bars. But hey, at least it doesn't have seatbelts. Its a great ride the way it as, but it would be legendary with buzz bars. Still, its my 3rd favorite in the park! 8/10

Colossus: The Fire Dragon I was very excited for this as i am a HUUUGE Schwarzkopf geek. The only traveling schwarzkopf i had ridden was Silver Bullet at Frontier City so i was excited to see how this compares. Well... I absolutely loved it! It was butter smooth, didn't have the little kinks in the track like Silver Bullet does, it had relentless forces in the loops and turns, and it looked great! I was surprised to see how a lot of the original fairground decorations were still there and working! I also love how they still use the external operator booth! Something you don't see everyday! I only got to ride it once in the middle, but that was enough to make it my 2nd favorite in the park! 9/10

Wicked Going into this, i honestly had no clue what to expect. Well, simply put this first half of the ride was outstanding, lots of airtime and forces. Then the slow zero g roll hit and the ride became an absolute dud. If the entire ride was as good as the first 1/3 of the ride, then they'd have a world class ride on their hands. But the rest of the ride felt like an after thought, something just to fill in empty space so it wasn't crazy short. It became my 4th favorite in the park. 6.5/10

Rattlesnake Rapids A great intamin rapids ride! It had some nice theming and rockwork and got me soaked. It also had a lightning fast turntable and no seatbelts, which is a polar opposite to what i'm used to at Worlds of Fun. 8/10

Log Flume Nice flume through some trees. Had some nice theming. Though it flowed unbelievable slow through the flume. The log also want firmly secured in the station which wasn't a problem for me, but it was hard for my grandpa to get in and out of the log as it would tip and move while boarding and exiting. 6/10

Jet Star 2 How is this legal? I've never experienced such a wild ride. It was very intense. That's all i have to say about it. 7/10

Cannibal The real star of the show. I expected an okay ride with a great first drop. Boy was i wrong. I absolutely loved Cannibal! I was also surprised how well themed it was! There was very high quality theming in the center of the ride. I loved the waterfall feature under the Lagoon Roll and the helixes. Going through the lagoon roll, it felt as if you could reach up while you were hanging by the lap bar and just run your hands through the water. It was also really fun getting splashed by the waterfall as you end the ride. Everything about this ride is great. Its criminally underrated. The trains were very interesting. The seats and lap bar look like torture devices, but they were actually very comfortable. The lap bars were similar to B&M Clamshells but they actually rest on a comfortable part of you lap. The seats were comfy too. As you depart from the station, you take a right turn under a very nice bit of theming and into the elevator. Inside the elevator, there is nothing but darkness and loud orchestral music. Once you reach the top, normally a door opens and reveals the first drop. But that was open the whole time. You slowly crawl forward, stop, then plunge down the infinity drop. This has to be the very best first drop i have ever experienced. Ive never ridden a ride that made me put my hands down and grab onto the lap bar in fear, but this drop was enough to do that. Once you crest the drop, you are met with a 200 ft beyond vertical, ejector airtime filled drop into a nicely themed tunnel. You pull out into a huge but forceful immelman. You twist out of it giving a nice pop of air quickly followed by a twist into the dive loop. Both inversions offer nice airtime as you twist in or out of them! You follow the dive loop with an airtime pop and an odd brake-launch segment into an overbank. Once you pass the mid course, you are offered with an abundance of hangtime over waterfalls and helixes through intricate rockwork. Its not as quick paced as the first half of the ride but its far from a bad ending to the ride. My grandpa was with me that day and he told me even before we got to the park, he wanted to ride cannibal so he could brag to his friends at church. He rode it with me and absolutely loved it! Ive never seen an 80 year old man so happy after riding a coaster. He said it was the smoothest coaster hes ridden.Cannibal can be enjoyed by all ages. Lagoon has a winner on their hands. Favorite ride in the park. 10/10

Alright, finally, lets get to the photos! (The photos are out of order and dont match the captions, I apologize, i am new to this trip report thing. Ill remove the captions now and will improve on the next report )

IMG_1609.thumb.JPG.d7ef46ac84c9a2be7b3afc004ac8625c.JPG

IMG_1611.thumb.JPG.c18f49cb1c1333c255e3fe860d96f0f8.JPG

IMG_1682.thumb.JPG.bca55b809466269aa07cfc8301b095b3.JPG

IMG_1600.thumb.JPG.98a1005c01d613ac3308da0c1f867941.JPG

IMG_1602.thumb.JPG.b3b35a45796b77a667c472d0a33e2a4d.JPG

IMG_1668.thumb.JPG.8120118b6356ecec70a331c33ff63abe.JPG

IMG_1670.thumb.JPG.c1964fad6e87c108c03b33f287361f01.JPG

IMG_1612.thumb.JPG.bc6f0f1e603ea27e460130c2b535d4a3.JPG

IMG_1615.thumb.JPG.729b2ad33c705298da522d3f44047f19.JPG

IMG_1616.thumb.JPG.09be5fc6fc067c13f3d889c57c824ee2.JPG

IMG_1617.thumb.JPG.554f75b6b516cf8fbf0cc36ffb436853.JPG

IMG_1651.thumb.JPG.370ab69f53c5a4af8fa7e9e476f360e8.JPGIMG_1633.thumb.JPG.63a357b649cf14f928647a87d80a6f4c.JPGIMG_1648.thumb.JPG.aa812f70f08d3b5d7072720b50864a38.JPG

IMG_1653.thumb.JPG.4072103c3711900ba8135a69007a5335.JPG

IMG_1667.thumb.JPG.0f559207babcd6d990c08c55a5d85eb7.JPG

IMG_1679.thumb.JPG.f54b562b4425beb9fc5e08cffac634a7.JPGIMG_1680.thumb.JPG.5dd91454ff3aa9ff049fb0c2e08543f3.JPGIMG_1678.thumb.JPG.b3e0fbd617bf0533fc66e1fd5af933c6.JPG

IMG_1687.thumb.JPG.6ee08170edd5e238a8d687b3ed8c7c7b.JPG

IMG_1660.thumb.JPG.b1c779d52d9fb31faf603c25b8fcd754.JPGIMG_1661.thumb.JPG.b4810fd08a069547d28635958651d4e1.JPGIMG_1672.thumb.JPG.df835f20eac25fdee8e2c002437fba12.JPGIMG_1683.thumb.JPG.8b1d5d6442a932b2050b4c5a1f7b6e40.JPGIMG_1686.thumb.JPG.2781932a9bc79d4359184cafcf38bb2b.JPGIMG_1685.thumb.JPG.67e6377be0c6a74a6a08e41c19b7a794.JPG

Well this will end the first trip report. Sorry if it isnt perfect as i havent really done one of these before. Next up, Holiday World!

IMG_1614.thumb.JPG.c3b2e9c3a12a4567d13da8647585d14b.JPG

IMG_1626.thumb.JPG.aebc7df310ac72e08ccbbf1aa5bf6c42.JPG

IMG_1628.thumb.JPG.a08b25e6d2a8805e22bb0dd3a16989a0.JPG

IMG_1662.thumb.JPG.3f5660e2ad234609c6bc4f1acbcb06c8.JPG

IMG_1677.thumb.JPG.d3e2c8b0a2ceecd36a1a7d75d393de87.JPG

IMG_1684.thumb.JPG.43ebdde2200956d779cc7b5497213eb7.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lagoon is my home park, glad you enjoyed it so much! Sorry that you were subjected to Cliffhanger though, it is the worst ride in the park.

Edit: Don't be too discouraged that nobody is responding. For whatever reason, almost nobody cares at all about Lagoon.

not sure how I missed this?

great pics, and nice report from a park I've never been to, but would like to at some point.

Cannibal looks fun, but Colossus looks like it would be my favorite in the park.

I would LOVE to visit this park someday - it really looks like it has a great line-up of coasters and flats.

And Utah in it's own right is one of the most beautiful states in the nation. People mention that Lagoon is underrated, but I would say that the entire state of Utah (in general) is underrated. I assume that it's because you have California, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Portland, Seattle, etc so close that a lot of people simply forget about Utah.

We were hoping to make a trip to Utah in the motor home this year, but health problems wiped out that chance. Hoping that we get to take this trip in 2018!

I would LOVE to visit this park someday - it really looks like it has a great line-up of coasters and flats.

And Utah in it's own right is one of the most beautiful states in the nation. People mention that Lagoon is underrated, but I would say that the entire state of Utah (in general) is underrated. I assume that it's because you have California, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Portland, Seattle, etc so close that a lot of people simply forget about Utah.

We were hoping to make a trip to Utah in the motor home this year, but health problems wiped out that chance. Hoping that we get to take this trip in 2018!

If you happen to take that trip, keep in mind Lagoon has a campground with admission discounts for guests.

http://www.lagoonpark.com/park-info/camping-lodging/

not sure how I missed this?

great pics, and nice report from a park I've never been to, but would like to at some point.

Cannibal looks fun, but Colossus looks like it would be my favorite in the park.

Don't get me wrong, Colossus is fantastic. My only issue with it is that after the first turn out of the loop until the flat turn before the brakes, the intensity and pacing kinda dies down. You spend a lot of time waiting for the next element in that section of the ride. If it was taken a little bit faster or the elements were a little tighter together, i would've likely placed it higher than cannibal.

Would like to mention that my Holiday World trip report should be out by the end of the year

Frontier City - July 21, 2021

It had been roughly a year since my last visit to any park. Up until now, my most recent park visits were Adventureland and Mt. Olympus (which I might make trip report reflecting back on my experiences there if I can gather enough pics to make a decent TR). That trip was at the very end of July into early august of 2020. I would've had more park trips in the Fall and Winter of 2020 as well as some in Spring of 2021, but luck was absolutely NOT on my side as it seemed freak ice storms, floods, and other complications seemed to arise right before my trips. But thankfully, I was able to pull this visit off without any problems! Even though Frontier City is my home park (still a 2.5 hr drive from me, though), it was still very exciting to be back in the park after such a long time away from any park, despite having visited here way too many times to count.

Frontier City has an interesting history as it has been passed around by different owner and operators like a game of hot potato. The park has gone from being an independent park, to being owned and by quite a few different companies, large and small, as well as being acquired by Six Flags, sold, then reacquired by Six Flags once again. Unfortunately, after Six Flags dropped the park the first time, it saw many operational complications and the quality of the park tanked. Thankfully, after some changes in management in the early 2010s the quality of the park improved greatly through different refurbishment projects around the park, steps to improve guest experience, and greatly improved ride operations. In 2018, we saw six flags purchase the operating rights to the park. Many locals, including myself were concerned that the park may return to the dreadful state it was in the first time Six Flags got their hands on the park. Luckily, the exact opposite has happened. Six Flags has poured so much time, energy, and resources into improving the park. From investing in park infrastructure, adding more food options, and even adding theming, it has done so much to increase the quality of the park. However, it is by no means a perfectly operated park. They still have things that need adressed, but nothing that will drastically impact your experience in the park. Enough with the general information about the park, lets get into my visit!.

I arrived roughly an hour after the park opened. No wait to get into the parking lot this time. That was a good sight to see after hearing from some friends that the line to get into the parking lot has been absurd this season.

IMG_2766.thumb.jpg.da7df8f24ad4e185480142861f8910c8.jpg

IMG_2773.thumb.jpg.4d3cf4bb170b136837cd4477dbb0096d.jpg

Guests arriving into the park are greeted by a view of one of the park's best investments of all time. No, not Diamondback. The shade structure that was recently added to Diamondback's station. No more roasting in the scorching Oklahoma sun while waiting to ride!

IMG_2771.thumb.jpg.a5e8e0f8899547eed493ba53e854988a.jpg

However, we were also greeted by very broken Diamondback. Not an uncommon sight the last few seasons. If it says anything about its reliability, despite Frontier City being my home park, it has been over 3 years since I have been able to ride Diamondback. It's either completely closed all day, or it will open for a short span of time either in the morning or evening, and proceed to close for the day after just a few cycles. The thing makes Lightning Rod seem reliable.

IMG_2768.thumb.jpg.b21994faa4dfb1b8e95742aca941eb22.jpg

I'm not too pressed about missing out on it again. I just can't enjoy Arrows like this in the way other enthusiasts do. I'd much rather spend my time riding the incredible and smooth Schwarzkopf looper on the other side of the park. Though, if you've traveled to the park specifically to get this credit, I can totally understand the frustration of missing out on it.

IMG_2774.thumb.jpg.d504f02e533a9e7374bbef9739f1f337.jpg

Alright, let's head into the park! First stop, like in many parks, is security. It's worth noting that they're still using the walkthrough bag scanning / metal detector machines they installed last year for covid. But any large bags will still get checked by hand.

IMG_2779.thumb.jpg.8f72db9206486797cc1ff9aed17d740e.jpg

Right off the bat, you will start to notice surprisingly high quality landscaping and attention to detail. This right here is one of the park's strengths. What they may lack in ride and coasters, they make up for with presentation. And boy are they good at it. Well, for the most part... There are some parts of the park that look pretty drab, but they're few and far between.

IMG_2780.thumb.jpg.d8d5b4ccb8b9b1111ec2205670776552.jpg

If you need to purchase tickets, you'll head to the small building in the front. If not, you'll head towards the large entrance building which also doubles as the park's main giftshop.

IMG_2781.thumb.jpg.800c71932b31c77e7f91fcb90c741971.jpg

Inside this building is also the entrance to Diamondback. Thanks to the terrain of the park and the positioning of the coaster, you'll only have to walk up some ramps and two flights of stairs as opposed to the long climb up other Arrow Shuttle Loops.

IMG_2783.thumb.jpg.6b958a032e1ce9ea3118d90d2f4dded9.jpg

After exiting the giftshop, you'll enter the park's beautifully themed and landscaped Mainstreet area. 

IMG_2782.thumb.jpg.85ae358bfd020b2863b67b24763d154a.jpg

IMG_2819.thumb.jpg.ce26520fc5838719dbfac82bdb40c156.jpg

If you head straight, you'll see the entrance to Fort Frontier. This is home to two restaurants, some smaller shops, an arcade, one of the park's stages, and access to the main theatre of the park. I didn't see any shows this visit, but Frontier City's shows are very high quality with some cool set designs and impressive talent. My personal favorite show is the Gunfighter show the park runs regularly throughout the day. I'll speak more on that in a bit.

IMG_2817.thumb.jpg.c0540d4418e7b3cf2cd855d5e8694881.jpg

Looking back towards the main entrance

IMG_2815.thumb.jpg.df2d76aedba26184d684028eb16de42c.jpg

If you head to the right, you'll find the park's Sally dark ride, Quickdraw, Mystery River Log Flume, and the park's zipline attraction which uniquely runs directly over Mainstreet. It was the last addition to the park before Six Flags came in. It used to cost only a few bucks to ride, but I'm certain the price has likely increased.

IMG_2813.thumb.jpg.f00c1f45a653b2769e2cbe2f0560c230.jpg

Quickdraw may have an impressive facade, but the immersion and detail does not continue inside the ride. Though, it was one of the earlier Sally designs, so I can understand why it may be of lesser quality.

IMG_2810.thumb.jpg.8f45c833201fd468f51125c16326753e.jpg

Some new theming adjacent to Quickdraw, likely covering some maintenance / infrastructure stuff.

IMG_2811.thumb.jpg.3ea02676397588307d7f4e8d50795ae3.jpg

Mystery River Log Flume is one of my personal favorite flumes. It's also sporting a refurbished and redesigned dark ride section for this season. Capacity is really poor on this ride as they only seem to be loading 4 logs. Though, I personally feel it's worth the wait for the theming alone.

IMG_2896.thumb.jpg.0c797844bb91a9e55c4cdad5ba068737.jpg

This flume features two drops and some interesting pseudo-rapids sections.

IMG_2900.thumb.jpg.b2d1679a26936d7b2f7b70ef4ec08058.jpg

IMG_2898.thumb.jpg.29dd70772655847d52446314f869e001.jpg

Another angle of the final and largest drop.

IMG_2809.thumb.jpg.bebd93de66ff62b8e5eb97fa804a76a8.jpg

IMG_2820.thumb.jpg.d36cc891a5a0a4bb636db25e943a5532.jpg 

If you head the left in Mainstreet, you'll come across Timber Town, the first attraction Six Flags has added. It features some cute theming, and some awesome play structures for children. If I was still kid, I'd likely love this area with all the things you can explore and climb. This area is also home to the park's newest coaster, Frankie's Mine Train. It is a standard Zamperla kiddie coaster. And yes... adults can ride.

IMG_2823.thumb.jpg.1f65e205066ed4fec3f96d8b0e07b29c.jpg

It wouldn't be a Six Flags without a Super Loop...

IMG_2826.thumb.jpg.a6b6a201c939ef41e229de57aa5c9ad3.jpg

At least its sorta themed.

IMG_2824.thumb.jpg.80a10f635d14d6e7da5f486520296622.jpg

Adjacent to Brain Drain is the park's Member Lounge. This is also where you pick up your member skip-the-line passes. 

IMG_2835.thumb.jpg.5fc90fc29bd38e4d6cc175d655ad3062.jpg

Steel Lasso is the park's Vekoma suspended family coaster. It was added in 2008 and remains the park's only major coaster that wasn't relocated here. It used to be the only original coaster here until Frankie's Mine Train opened, replacing Wild Kitty which came from Elitch Gardens.

IMG_2840.thumb.jpg.130a763f407ae8f4f8c88c8904d18f76.jpg

It's a fun and enjoyable ride. It serves its purpose of being a great family coaster. Though, it did have the longest line in the park due to some pretty slow operations. It would usually go 5-10 minutes between dispatches. Even though there weren't more than a few thousand people in the park, that was still enough to create a pretty lengthy wait.

IMG_2841.thumb.jpg.505c99353157d8dd8532f242da1ed3bb.jpg

I will say, it is a very well presented ride!

IMG_2843.thumb.jpg.8055be775cd18538f920df8345fdb261.jpg

The real star of the show here is Silver Bullet. Aside from being an excellent ride, it has some pretty interesting history to it. It debuted in Germany as the very first transportable looping coaster made by Schwarzkopf. This is evident from the sharper transitions and differences in profiling compared to other Looping Star layouts. It was also the only Schwarzkopf transportable looper to run the 1st generation Looping Speedracer trains. It's the last remaining operating Looping Speedracer train now that Revolution at SFMM and Sooperdooperlooper at Hershey Park have had their trains replaced. Little bit of history for ya.

IMG_2873.thumb.jpg.1a25f40626da63c13d01ad2ee4de2074.jpg

Silver Bullet was running incredible this visit. It was butter smooth (I mean, its a Schwarzkopf, so that's expected) and running faster than I've ever experienced it running. I don't believe it ever closed for maintenance issues this visit either. It's good to see that as it's had some struggles the last few seasons.

IMG_2791.thumb.jpg.a68493447367d3998c39cee87249173b.jpg

It still remains one of my all time favorite looping coasters.

IMG_2881.thumb.jpg.ec45afcd5ba6e7a307731890c1df5a1d.jpg

Though, aesthetically, the ride is not doing well. You can see patches of practically every color scheme the ride has had since day 1 of being on the German fair circuit. The trains are in poor condition as most of the lap bars are completely wrapped in duct tape, some of the headrests are completely broken, a lot of the grab bars are bent, and there are a lot of cracks in the fiberglass. It would be sad to see these historic trains go, but I personally would like to see Six Flags add their custom Schwarzkopf trains to this ride. That would also add the second train this ride so desperately needs for busier days.

IMG_2846.thumb.jpg.e680a8af32b0c653827ee33a4356c034.jpg

But even in its current state, it still remains a super photogenic ride.

IMG_2849.thumb.jpg.babe6fb9b853306aeee19d2e73f3a686.jpg

IMG_2852.thumb.jpg.c4c4e834d1d2dfebcc3d68c9f399cc89.jpg

Wildcat is the park's wooden coaster and seems to be the crowd favorite coaster.

IMG_2850.thumb.jpg.1364f917dc3ef1fb65166f3fe8dd7969.jpg

A little bit about the history of the ride...

IMG_2860.thumb.jpg.b4854a67867734d8feb1f235c957e0ab.jpg

Wildcat has undergone a major refurbishment for this season. This has brought the ability to now run two trains. This is the new red train in action.

IMG_2909.thumb.jpg.e9ec31071e92c53b36279a8259075d07.jpg

Despite the higher crowd level, Wildcat was still running just one train. Here's the old blue train, sitting in the maintenance bay all sad and lonely, wanting to be a part of the fun.

IMG_2854.thumb.jpg.dfb46d97a7ab3f062aac79171a32ceaf.jpg

Though, going by appearances, you wouldn't be able to tell there was a major investment made to the ride as a lot of the ride looks pretty dilapidated.

IMG_2907.thumb.jpg.cdc671332d14a959d696790dc0501483.jpg

IMG_2860.thumb.jpg.b4854a67867734d8feb1f235c957e0ab.jpg

But the ride runs a lot better than it looks. There may be no airtime or exciting drops on the ride, it still is a fun ride. Though, the turnaround section offers some pretty violent laterals. I don't know how those 6 seater PTC cars handle that element so well. Also, the ride's very forested setting makes for an excellent night ride. Though, the park isn't open after dark very often.

IMG_2902.thumb.jpg.d5ca95324372bb732917c13877a88c07.jpg

Oh and they show you all the wooden coasters you'd much rather be riding while you're waiting in the station.

IMG_2866.thumb.jpg.7acd6d1dbcdec1cc7aac6a98d7fca0dc.jpg

IMG_2792.thumb.jpg.9f9abdbcaf39b65a13693eaa7795e61e.jpg

Working our way from Wildcat to Renegade Rapids. The buildings straight ahead and slightly to the right are on the backside of the Gunfighter Show. This is one of the park's most iconic and popular attractions. It runs regularly throughout the day and has a different script in the evening closer to closing. It features lots of guest interaction, some SDC like comedy, impressive stunts, fire, explosions, and a splashy finale that will soak any audience members not underneath the roof of the seating area.

IMG_2795.thumb.jpg.8efe172301f3abdd6cb42117857d3be9.jpg

More new theming.

IMG_2796.thumb.jpg.b950e29982334d29cbfd84c4502c238e.jpg

Continuing from Wildcat, you'll come to Renegade Rapids, their Hopkins rapids ride.

IMG_2786.thumb.jpg.9a322e2ec252e7cdc2ee15ad003c4f40.jpg

Aside from the concrete trough and theming, it has essentially been completely rebuilt over the last few years.

IMG_2797.thumb.jpg.87de27eea3727b3324cafa6cc00c5e1c.jpg

IMG_2798.thumb.jpg.c63fb231d478d3198bb8875c11e9bd93.jpg

It features some rather well themed sections and a small drop towards the end of the ride that will likely drench one unlucky rider in each boat. There are some water features added this season after said drop that will ensure the ones spared by the drop will still get plenty wet.

IMG_2788.thumb.jpg.fe4a18bcfdab2228ce83a821c562bda3.jpg

IMG_2891.thumb.jpg.02f8014f20efe5acbceb2d6b67cbddf9.jpg

They used to have gravestones in here throwing shade at all of the park's previous owners and making fun of their failures. Not surprisingly, Six Flags quickly removed them.

IMG_2833.thumb.jpg.e9bd5c6e7284fb08e6990a6a6bb74256.jpg

One of the prettiest parts of the park.

IMG_2830.thumb.jpg.1dae7aa54a61b45d4cafd3a6af2e5ad5.jpg

Best ride sign for some bumper cars?

IMG_2807.thumb.jpg.9cbcbabcf286df1878a1c34f2bb6d0b8.jpg

IMG_2808.thumb.jpg.d2bf41b5991509fde160c89dd39b7e08.jpg

This building used to house a Pinfari coaster, but now it's often used for fright fest.

IMG_2801.thumb.jpg.388573def7a69b386b89144e79859e1c.jpg

IMG_2803.thumb.jpg.06d5cbdf47d52afe4819854c5d307f2f.jpg

Two closed flat rides. Not entirely sure if its staffing or mechanical. Gunslinger is a Zamperla Power Surge after all, so it's likely down due to mechanical issues. I'm not used to seeing sidewinder closed, however.

Well that concludes my trip report of my recent visit to Frontier City. Overall, I do enjoy this park a lot. It sets itself apart from the other Six Flags parks which is something I can greatly appreciate. I was afraid it would lose its identity after Six Flags reacquired the park. But that's not the case. Its a gorgeous park, extremely clean, and the employees are some of the most friendly and efficient out of the Six Flags parks I've been too. I wouldn't go out of my way to visit it if it weren't my home park, but if you find yourself near the park sometime, I'd encourage you to check it out. You can experience most of the park in just a few hours given it's not absurdly busy.

IMG_2777.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

Edited by Jaykethekid
spelling / grammar corrections

• 5 months later...