TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Awesome report and photos!! (the ones that I could see anyways, the work WiFi is sooooo sloooww... they should probably have I.T. fix that. Ha. [the joke is that I *am* IT ])

Anyway, looks like you had an amazing time. Love this event and can't wait to get out there and here's hoping that everything cooperates for me later this month.

Houdini after a few spiked ciders sounds fun and worth the drive alone... lol. Are those free with my purple cup?

^^ I'll make you a deal. And I do it publicly here so there are plenty of witnesses. If you and I ever find ourselves at Funspot together, I will ride that Skycoaster with you, OK?

^ Thanks, shame you guys couldn't make it down! Make sure to let us know when you'll be there. I wish the spiked ciders were included in the sports bottle. They're like $10 each but so boozy its worth every penny. The first one I got was just a glass of hot rum.

Sounds like a great time!! I really need to make it back up for at least one more weekend before it closes out.

In other news, it looks like Jackson Township has moved one step closer to developing 537 further with the planned hotels and sports/entertainment complex.

Jackson OKs plan for hotels, recreation facilities on Route 537

JACKSON – The Jackson Zoning Board of Adjustment has granted approval to an applicant who plans to build two hotels, an outdoor athletic complex, an indoor sports and entertainment venue and an indoor recreational facility on Route 537.

The applicant, Cardinale and Jackson Crossing 2/Adventure Crossing, seeks to develop a 75-acre property on Route 537 between Interstate 195 and Six Flags Great Adventure.

Phase one of the development is expected to see the construction of the indoor sports and entertainment venue (party rooms, arcade, laser tag and two sports bars) and the outdoor athletic complex.

Phase two of the development is expected to see the construction of the indoor recreation facility and the two hotels.

During a zoning board meeting on Nov. 29, the applicant was represented by attorney Sal Alfieri, Ian Borden of Professional Design Services and architect John Burgdorfer. The applicant was seeking a use variance in a Highway Commercial (HC) zone and variances for signs.

Cardinale and Jackson Crossing 2/Adventure Crossing prepared a six-minute video that depicts a flyover of a computer generated concept of what the project should look like when it is completed.

According to the plans, the two hotels will contain a total of 241 guest rooms. Alfieri said operators for the hotels have not been named at this point.

Hotel A as proposed will be five floors, with 134 guest rooms, a bar-restaurant and a small seating area.

Hotel B as proposed will be four floors, with 107 guest rooms. There will not be a bar-restaurant in Hotel B.

The outdoor athletic complex will contain eight playing fields and a one-story fieldhouse where concessions will be sold, according to the applicant.

The board’s vice chairman, Sheldon Hofstein, asked what kind of turf will be used for the playing fields.

“We are expecting to use artificial synthetic turf,” Borden said.

The indoor sports and entertainment venue as proposed will contain a 114,000-square-foot space covered by a dome, a one-story, 32,234-square-foot recreation center and a 15,429-square-foot mezzanine seating area.

The separate indoor recreation facility will be two floors. The first floor will be encompass 101,781 square feet and the second floor will cover 11,155 square feet, according to the plans.

Board member Carl Book asked about the capacity of the indoor facilities.

“Would the concept also include large parties, concerts, musical entertainment, something that borders on recreation, but can morph … to more music, and then it is music, and then is it possible that could morph … to the concept of recreational facilities to entertain various religious groups or other cultural types of affairs?” Book asked.

The indoor recreation facility “will either be a trampoline park or an indoor track. That building will not allow us to have (religious and cultural events) because it will not be built that way,” applicant Vito Cardinale responded.

Cardinale said he did not perceive the indoor recreation facility for an auditorium use.

Regarding the indoor sports and entertainment venue, Cardinale said because the domed space will not have fire sprinklers, its use will be limited to basketball, soccer and lacrosse activities. Other activities in the venue will include arcade games and laser tag.

Board member Kathryn McIlhinney asked if there will be private security at the site.

Cardinale said there would be more than 200 staff members and he said certain events would require additional security.

“We have already made arrangements with one of the tenants I have to have bomb sniffing dogs and security guards with dogs so parents feel safe that there is no way anybody could get hurt,” he told board members.

When the floor was opened to the public, no one objected to the application.

Residents Anthony and Maryann Vinciguerra expressed support for the project.

“I am very happy to see this project … I have been here 44 years and Jackson is a beautiful town and it has a lot to offer. Now with this project it will have a lot more to offer,” Maryann Vinciguerra said.

Board members voted unanimously to approve the Cardinale application.

Sounds promising. Hope they get that hotel. Finding a place to stay near Jackson was one of the hardest parts of my trip planning this year, and I ended up staying in a terrible motel a few miles away. Would have loved to find something close or on site, especially since I stayed on site at Knoebels, Hershey, and Moreys that same trip.

By the way, even though we only rode it about 15 minutes after he did Brit and I had a very different Batman experience. Our train was full (which may explain it) but we f*cking flew. It was insane. We didn't get pelted with snow either... I guess Boldikus's train knocked it all off for us.

Yeah there was like 2 other people on our train. Not that it was a bad ride, Batman is always fantastic. I wish we had gone back at night. Ah well, still have a few weeks left.

Awesome report, Boldy...so cool to see coasters actually running with snow on the ground!

And yes, I could definitely get into those spiked ciders. I am not normally a fan of hot chocolate, but the one we had at BGT spike with vodka when we were freezing our tits off tasted like heaven (if there is such a thing).

Well . . . this New Year's Weekend, (either Saturday or Monday) I'll likely be making it up their.

(as I've been paying attention to posts here), good to know that coaster lines aren't to terribly long.

As for opening day, well I got notice that SFA's 2018 opening day is March 30th (Good Friday), so maybe GAdv's opening day will be the same day.

So it's 23 degrees. Nitro and Lantern ran all day until about an hour after sundown when they both sh*t the bed. Joker never opened. Batman and Superman are both engaged in an endurance test to see which will be the last one standing.

My money is obviously on Batman.

Edited by coasterbill

So it's 23 degrees. Nitro and Lantern ran all day until about an hour after sundown when they both sh*t the bed. Joker never opened. Batman and Superman are both engaged in an endurance test to see which will be the last one standing.

^^ Nevermind, they reopened Nitro 20 minutes before closing and started it after a 2 hour closure for the last 20 minutes of the night at 19 degrees. Holy sh*t.

Lantern reopened too.

^^ Nevermind, they reopened Nitro 20 minutes before closing and started it after a 2 hour closure for the last 20 minutes of the night at 19 degrees. Holy sh*t.

Lantern reopened too.

That is absolutely unbelievable. Was it a windy day to possibly shut those two down as opposed to just the temps themselves?

And at SFA, they only ran the woodies and closed them at 6:30. Admittedly I wouldn't have rode them much later and would have liked to been done by then due to the cold, but the place is one of the hardest places to get to in the world for what it is, and traffic was horrendous (yes I should have known better). They were still running Fireball when I left, proving even they don't think it's a coaster.

Lantern reopened too.

That is absolutely unbelievable. Was it a windy day to possibly shut those two down as opposed to just the temps themselves?

It was pretty windy yesterday, at least 50 miles southwest in Philly. I'm honestly surprised they opened any of the B&Ms at all. I'm curious to see how they fare the remainder of this week.

I'm curious to see how they fare the remainder of this week.

Me too. It sounds like crowd levels were perfectly respectable yesterday which is amazing. Justice League briefly posted at 45 minutes.

I'm sure the rides won't take kindly to the weather this week, but I'm blown away by how hard they're working to keep them running. When Nitro went down last night and had been down for almost 2 hours on a 19 degree night with 20 minutes left before close I would have given it a 0% chance of reopening. I don't know how this will go for the rest of the week, but I really appreciate their effort.