Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 422: Stinger being removed
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Re: Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:24 am

If they opened the upper half of the park, including Hydra and Talon people would show up for this event in droves. Why? Cause there ain't jack balls to do in Allentown in the winter, unless you go to the Poconos for skiing, etc. I think they could absolutely pull it off (Great Adventure and Hershey's winter events are obviously doing quite well) and we know they could open those coasters, but will they? I'm interested to see what happens with this. Its only an hour from me, and I'd be more than happy to have more rides to ride in the winter months.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:29 am

WOFanatic wrote:Not trying to be a buzzkill here, but Dorney Park does not seem like the type of park Cedar Fair would invest that much money into. WinterFest is a much bigger investment than most people realize. Not only are the lights and decorations very expensive, but also the infrastructure needed for a winter event is a huge undertaking for any park. I think it’s out of Dorney’s price range for the time being.

I'd agree with you if we were talking about Dorney getting a new coaster, but in this case I don't think you can look at this like you would most investments (like a new coaster, for example). Six Flags invested in Holiday in the Park at Six Flags America and they never spend a dime on that sh*t hole.

It's an event with tangible ROI that allows a park to extend their operating schedule by 2 months and dramatically increase their annual attendance numbers by six figures even in an average year to an event where in-park spending is likely well above average. In addition, it's a major driver of Season Pass sales and retention (which they keep bringing up on conference calls).

It's not cheap, but it's a much cheaper way to drive up attendance numbers and revenue than basically anything else they could do. It's not like they would be investing 15 million dollars into a coaster hoping it would drive attendance. If you add Winterfest, attendance WILL go up unless you're doing something horribly wrong because you're adding about 30 operating days to the schedule where you could reasonably expect large enough crowds to draw a profit.

WOFanatic wrote:Plus, wasn’t Canada’s Wonderland already confirmed to be the second park by a Cedar Fair executive? I may be wrong but I thought I remembered reading that.

You're right. I don't know if it was "officially confirmed", but it came out in that Cleveland.com article that went viral a few months back. I don't think Dorney is getting Winterfest in 2018, but that doesn't mean they won't get it soon. They're in a decent sized city in a park with a perfect layout for it since everything you need is kind of near the gate and easy to section off (decent grouping of flat rides, indoor heated theater and kids area). I would be shocked if they don't get Winterfest in the next few years.

boldikus wrote:there ain't jack balls to do in Allentown in the winter

Also this :lol:

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Steel Farce » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:26 am

Dorney Park management was talking in fall of 2016 like Winterfest was coming as early as 2017. Makes sense that they would make improvements to the upper portion of the park if that was the case. I've also heard that this will coincide with an expansion to Camp Snoopy. They would basically create a new entrance where the Bouncy House use to be and gobble up the land where enterprise is. Some rides will go and new ones will be added.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:05 pm

Big news!
(No... for real, I couldn't believe it either)

Dorney has posted a winter update full of details on all the usual things you would expect like progress on their new, world record breaking chicken tender place, information on new food options and updates on general maintenance but buried at the bottom is a huge piece of news!

Finally, from time to time we have to move things around or even remove them completely in order to look to the future. Stinger, which came to us from our sister park California's Great America in 2012, will be removed to make room for future planning opportunities. We don’t have details to share right now, but we are working on future planning and development of the park.

I'm not sure what could really go in that spot, but basically anything would be an upgrade.

Link

Postby boldikus » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:10 pm

:nina: :nina: :nina:

As long as its not Possessed. I will say that while it was a piece of shit, I enjoyed Stinger. Comfortable, no headbanging, kind of fun. Better than a regular boomerang imo. Wonder if its scrap or being moved.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby DorneyKid14 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:13 pm

THANK THE GOOD LORD!!!! ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!
Favorite Steel: GateKeeper
Favorite Wood: Outlaw Run
Home Park: DPWWK
Steel: 76 Wood: 24
Total: 100 Parks: 16

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Stinger being removed is great news. That was probably the worst coaster there. Glad they're not getting rid of Possessed. I loved that one, and generally all of that type.

Postby alilstronger » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:24 pm

So, Stinger is leaving...

Please forgive me but I do not keep up with things like many others.... are there any other Cedar Fair parks removing coasters that we know of that would fit in Stinger's place?
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Postby YoshiFan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:27 pm

I'm really glad to see Stinger removed. I was really disappointed to see it added to the park in the first place and with problem after problem, especially the incident on opening day in 2014, I had no interest in riding the coaster ever again (except once last year to see if I still disliked the coaster).

Postby boldikus » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:59 pm

alilstronger wrote:So, Stinger is leaving...

Please forgive me but I do not keep up with things like many others.... are there any other Cedar Fair parks removing coasters that we know of that would fit in Stinger's place?

Did we ever figure out where Knotts boomerang went? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!