Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 1717 - Firehawk to be removed after the 2018 season
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby Ape » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:33 pm

Winterfest Trip Report

This will be from the perspective of someone with a family including a 4 and a 2 year old. I have been twice. Once of the first day of Winterfest with everyone and then exactly one week later on Friday December 1st with just my 4 year old son.

Both days that we arrived my son lost his damn mind at everything. He is normally shy and reserved around new people he doesn't know but as soon as he caught a glimpse of the lights from the parking lot he was screaming with excitement. Then I kid you not his reaction to seeing the Santa on top of the entrance was that of Buddy the Elf when Santa shows up. On the second visit he went through the security and the lady asked him if he was excited all he could do was scream at the top of his lungs "SANTAAA!!!!!" Then I had to try and keep up with him getting into the park. Little dude was too hyped to deal with some peasants waiting in line to get in the park.

The first visit on day one the park was an absolute mad house. It wasn't a big deal to us as the kids just loved looking at the lights and running around the park. We did not ride anything on this day but spent two hours in the park looking at everything and playing some games. The holiday themed games were a favorite of my son whom I let play one of the games you throw the wiffle into the colored cups. He left from that game just playing on $10 with 3 medium prizes and 2 small prizes a bit of a proud dad moment.

On the second trip to the park with just my son and I it wasn't crowded at all and we were actually able to do some stuff. I sampled the Mac and Cheese bar while he screamed at me about wanting to Ice Skate right now dammit. The Buffalo Mac was excellent and honestly probably the only highlight of our meal plan this year. I think it is something they need to make permanent. After I finished eating I gave my boy his wish and took him over to ice skate. Ice skating is an up charge $10 per person if you have 4 or more or $15 for 3 or less. We just found others and grouped up. You have to take advantage of the system when you can. This is the first time my son has ever skated and I am talking on ice or roller blades. He did a lot better than I was expecting and thank goodness I had experience so I didn't have to worry about killing both of us. It was a bit crowded and the amount of people that suck at skating was a bit frustrating. Kids are understandable but healthy fit adults were using the balance things I would say only kids should use. They give you an hour and a half on the ice which is way longer than I expected them to give. I am sure we will do it again this year my son loved it so much. I was really proud that if he fell he just laughed it off and got back up. Can't be raising any soft kids I am way too much of a thrill seeker lol.

We rode some of the kids ride that were open and the lines were manageable. We also rode the train which was alright and my son enjoyed it but the loading and unloading process seemed to take way too long.

As someone with a family I absolutely love the event and I was not planning on getting passes next year but this may have changed my mind. It is incredibly fun to watch the kids faces of amazement with every corner we turned. If only most adults could get the same enjoyment out of little things like this.

wfki6.jpg
Lights!

wfki7.jpg
More Lights!

wfki4.jpg
That candy cane on the ground was really exciting to them lol.

wfki5.jpg
the champ

wfki2.jpg
Waiting for the train

wfki3.jpg
These things were awesome for the kids learning to skate.

wfki.jpg
We had a ton of fun.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:02 am

Thanks for the report! It is different hearing things from the perspective of someone with a little kid. $10 for 4 to skate is reasonable, maybe I should try to find a way to take advantage of the system and group up next time too.

I've never ice skated (but seasoned blader/roller skater) but there is no way in hell you'd get me to push one of those carts. I'd sooner fall on my a$$. I do think it should mainly be for kids but I did see some adults too.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Ape » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:52 am

There are not many of those things to use so kids should be the one using them. plus it is much funnier watching a full grown adult eat it on the ice from lack of experience.

I thought the $10 per person for a half hour was actually a great price.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:38 pm

It's 24 degrees and Mystic Timbers is open. Damn, Cedar Fair! Check you out ;)

Postby prozach626 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:52 am

Great report, Ape. It sounds like your kids really had a blast.

Postby coasterbill » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:34 pm

Good news and bad news...

Good news: Cedar Fair clearly found their balls (note the train)
wow.jpg

Bad news...
Yeah, that train totally didn't make it. :lol:

It was throwing a ton of snow and valleyed in the last section before the shed. I'm sure they can winch it out of there easily since it's really close to the final brakes, but I don't know if they really want to try again tonight. lol

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:58 pm

Wow I'm impressed they gave it a go! It looks like Dollywood kept their two wooden coasters closed today after they got snow.

Did it valley with an empty train?
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Boulder Dash, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Coney Island & Stricker's Grove

Postby coasterbill » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:11 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:Wow I'm impressed they gave it a go! It looks like Dollywood kept their two wooden coasters closed today after they got snow.

Did it valley with an empty train?

Yeah, it was empty. I was only watching for a minute or two and got lucky, but I'm going to guess it was the first test train of the day since it threw a ton of snow off the the tracks on that first turn.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby bluestreak » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:27 pm

Just fyi, happened to catch mystic running on the webcam.
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:20 pm

Cha ching! Yikes after being on the first train the ride already has a 45 minute wait. Really solid coaster, very okay GCI! Smooth from start to finish, twisty, and the classic GCI airtime. Not my favorite GCI but a good addition to the park.

All the GP are talking about how scary the ending is :lol:

They even changed the posters in line to fit the holidays!
20171221_172147.jpg
20171221_170454.jpg
20171221_171539.jpg
Kings Island you must have grown up in Wisconsin cuz you so cheezy
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!