Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

P. 771 - Firebird Roller Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Re: Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Postby steamedturtle » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:19 pm

Fifty eight dollars for a gold pass, and free parking at all six flags parks now... It's crazy. I used to buy the season parking pass at SFA, but you still had to pay for parking at other Six Flags parks. I'm going to check out HITP next Sunday, and I'm looking forward to it.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:23 am

We went down to North Carolina for Thanksgiving to visit Brit's family and took a break from the unending hell of I-95 on Thanksgiving weekend to pop into the park for a few hours on the way home.

We got there until a little before sundown and left around 6:30 so we had a chance to ride some rides, grab dinner and check out the lights. I won't bother with a full trip reports but I figured I'd comment on a few things.

- The park has 2 "main" Christmas shows which is pretty cool since Great Adventure really only has one. We have no interest in singing and dancing shows, but we did check out Christmas Crashers, the holiday stunt show over by the Scrambler. Like last year's show, this one was incredibly corny and low budget, but it was cute and definitely fun to watch. There are only four people in the cast, and I recognize a lot of them from last yera's show but I have no complaints and they did a great job.

- We managed to get on a ton of rides. The park seemed decently crowded by SFA standards, but all rides had wait times ranging from 0-5 minutes. We rode every coaster in the park (including Fireball) aside from Mind Eraser and Apocalypse because they're f*cking terrible. :lol: In addition, we got a re-ride on Roar to end the night and a ride on Voodoo drop and Zydeco Zinger.

- Roar and Wild One were both running very well. Roar is quickly becoming my favorite ride in the Holiday in the Park section of the park. Our first ride on it a few years ago was awful, but they've done some re-tracking and it's been running great the last few years. We also got a front seat ride on Wild One. We had no idea the coaster was 100 years old this year, but it's running smooth and awesome! Great job by SFA to take such good care of these coasters.

- Chop Six is terrible. If the rumors are true and Great Adventure replaces Panda Express with this sh*t, that's a real shame. Yes, it's on the dining plan but I wish these parks would offer non-terrible food for people who don't mind paying a little extra for something that's actually edible. I don't expect Knoebels, but holy crap. :lol:

- The lights looked awesome. I wasn't a fan of the fact that they don't actually turn them on until after it's already dark out but once they came on they were stunning. Main Street, the North Pole and Silent Night were definitely the best areas.

- Ragin Cajun and Voodoo Drop are tremendously underrated. For it's size, Voodoo Drop packs way more of a punch than it has any right to. As for Ragin Cajun, holy sh*t does that thing spin like crazy. :lol:

Overall we had a blast. Holiday in the Park is outstanding, and definitely my favorite time of year to visit SFA despite Gotham City being closed. It really makes the place feel like a small, family park and it has an entirely different vibe than it does in the summer.

A few pictures...

IMG_7983.JPG
Happy Holiday in the Park!

IMG_7962.JPG
Hanging out with Santa!

Just a couple of coasters, coasting along. PS: During Holiday in the Park, Fireball is somehow the best looping coaster in the park by default. Imagine that... :lol:

IMG_7978.JPG
The lights in the "North Pole" section are fantastic.

IMG_7979.JPG
And I love how the park went through the trouble of changing so many ride and shop names.

IMG_7977.JPG
... like this one

IMG_7974.JPG
Happy 100th! Does this make Wild One the oldest "operating" coaster in America?

IMG_7975.JPG
There's a tree lighting ceremony on this tree that's new for this year. It's a really clever way of saving money on their electric bill since now they don't actually have to turn the lights on anywhere in the park until it's been dark for 30 minutes. lol wtf?

IMG_7982.JPG
Goodnight from SFA!
Last edited by coasterbill on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:43 am.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:39 am

Great report! Glad they were able to make Six Flags America look nice for once. :lmao:

All kidding aside, I'm glad to hear Wild One is still running well. I do wish that coaster were still in my backyard at Paragon but I guess all those rich people love having their condos on Nantasket. It must be amazing to have a drop tower for Holiday in the Park so you can enjoy all the lights on the ascent.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:51 am

Nice report! The lights look really great. Voodoo Drop is awesome, and glad to hear it getting some love from you. It's small, but its got a nice little bit of force to it.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:07 am

Awesome photos! That sucks to hear about Chop Six. I held out hope that it'd at least be an at-best decent replacement, but looks like it's not meant to be.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby CoasterAuditor » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:30 pm

Great report! I've always thought the non-Gotham City areas of SFA looked "fine" if only they could make Gotham City somehow replicate it. I may need to check out Holiday in the park sometime next year. Would this year but probably still need to drop some lbs before I try riding a PTC train.
I'm an accountant that's obsessed with roller coasters
Knoebels > Everywhere

1. El Toro 2. Intimidator 305 3. Phoenix 4. Millennium Force 5. New Texas Giant

118 Coasters
16 Parks

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Jason Maier » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:13 pm

Nice photos sir . . . and yes Wild One is the oldest operating coaster in the US now (as Leap the Dips was MIA this year)

edit: When I was there on Saturday, I did make 2 trips on Apocalypse and Mind Eraser. I took the proactive step of donning my earmuffs on both rides (yeah I got bonked around, but well . . . protection helps)

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby gardyloo! » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:53 pm

^^ Your trip reports just keep on coming and coming Bill, awesome :lmao: !! So the whole Gotham section was closed off? Which includes their top 3 coasters (that statement is debatable however).

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby MisterBrow » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:12 pm

Chop Stix is great!

When I want my drink refilled and don't want to wait in a line because nobody is eating in there.

My teenager was there Saturday. She raved about how well Roar and WO were running. I asked her if rode RC and she said her friend's mom rode with them and it spun more than ever. I wonder if they squirted some WD-40 in there because it seems like the reports are that it is spinning more.

So if SFNE's Mind Eraser is getting new Riddler paint to go with the new cars I wonder if SFA's ME will get new cars and a new name that fits that section. Like not even paint it just call it Coyote Coaster.
Meister Brau just wants a path from CC to SM at SFA, meal plan burrito, some shade, and a restroom back there.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby Rayj » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:39 pm

A minderaser retheme and new trains is well overdue. Hopefully for the 2019 season if we’re not getting a new coaster.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!