TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

One other thing I didn't mention before is Revolution is currently Revolution Classic, meaning no VR. According to a ride op they took off VR while they "switch the video". So I finally got my first ride on it since they redid the trains. Huge difference, of course.

YESSSSSS. I'll be out there next Monday, didn't get to ride it last year when I visited so I'm really looking forward to this sans VR. Thanks for the heads up!

google didn't help much, besides one being Steve Jobs Day. but i wonder why it's open next monday? LA school something?

i do see it is Sukkot the past few days which is why it was more crowded when i went yesterday. but i see nothing for monday. educate me.

YESSSSSS. I'll be out there next Monday, didn't get to ride it last year when I visited so I'm really looking forward to this sans VR. Thanks for the heads up!

google didn't help much, besides one being Steve Jobs Day. but i wonder why it's open next monday? LA school something?

i do see it is Sukkot the past few days which is why it was more crowded when i went yesterday. but i see nothing for monday. educate me.

According to the app, it's open for a special "Home School Day".

I've never seen anything less than two trains on Twisted Colossus. Most other rides will cycle one train on these slow days however.

Green Lantern has been down pretty much every single slow day and I think even some weekends these last few months. Apocalypse only opens in the later half of the day for the same reason Green Lantern isn't opening, to save money.

One other thing I didn't mention before is Revolution is currently Revolution Classic, meaning no VR. According to a ride op they took off VR while they "switch the video". So I finally got my first ride on it since they redid the trains. Huge difference, of course.

Hopefully they still have it off for you next week! They didn't specify if it would be back soon for Halloween or if it will be off until Holiday in the Park. I believe they had it on for Fright Fest last year but I can't remember when exactly that happened.

Green Lantern has been down pretty much every single slow day and I think even some weekends these last few months.

It was closed a few Saturdays ago when we were there. Luckily it was the only ride closed that we came across, as I have yet to hear a single good about that ride, lol.

Here's a ride-ops related question I've been pondering recently.

Earlier this year, I waited in a 3-hour line for X2. It was a Sunday, BAFF Day, 1-train ops. The line was all the way to the end of the queue when we got in line. The second train was removed while we were in line, due to technical difficulties. I was there with some friends and we didn't realize the 1-train situation until after we'd been in line for a while, but we all really wanted to ride, so we stuck it out.

Anyway, we didn't get on until 10 minutes before the park closed, and I noticed the line was still stretching all the way to the end of the queue, meaning it would take another 3 hours to get everyone through. What do the ride ops do in a situation like this? I really doubt that they'd keep the ride ops employees there an extra 3 hours. How long do they keep going before they shut it down for the night?

Here's a ride-ops related question I've been pondering recently.

Earlier this year, I waited in a 3-hour line for X2. It was a Sunday, BAFF Day, 1-train ops. The line was all the way to the end of the queue when we got in line. The second train was removed while we were in line, due to technical difficulties. I was there with some friends and we didn't realize the 1-train situation until after we'd been in line for a while, but we all really wanted to ride, so we stuck it out.

Anyway, we didn't get on until 10 minutes before the park closed, and I noticed the line was still stretching all the way to the end of the queue, meaning it would take another 3 hours to get everyone through. What do the ride ops do in a situation like this? I really doubt that they'd keep the ride ops employees there an extra 3 hours. How long do they keep going before they shut it down for the night?

I can’t speak to MM policies specifically as I’ve never been to this park, but in my experiences at other Six Flags parks, they usually close off the line and let everyone that was in line shortly before close get a ride. Funny enough, some of the best ops I’ve ever seen in my life happened at Goliath at SFOG when the crew had an hourlong line at park close.

Yeah, they'd have to run that through. The line would move a little faster though since there'd be no more Flash Pass, exit passes or ADA Passes.

Green Lantern has been down pretty much every single slow day and I think even some weekends these last few months.

Good.

From my experience, it seems like every time I get in line for a coaster at MM right before closing, and the line is well over an hour long, the ride will run for 20-30 minutes only to go down for "technical difficulties". Hence why I don't stand in line for rides near park closing anymore.

Yeah, they'd have to run that through. The line would move a little faster though since there'd be no more Flash Pass, exit passes or ADA Passes.

There were a lot of Flash Passes that day, which just added gas to the 1-train dumpster fire. Still, that was probably a 2-hour line, and I'm surprised parks would keep rides open that long after park closing. Kudos to the ride ops, if they actually did it.

From my experience, it seems like every time I get in line for a coaster at MM right before closing, and the line is well over an hour long, the ride will run for 20-30 minutes only to go down for "technical difficulties". Hence why I don't stand in line for rides near park closing anymore.

That's happened to me a couple of times, with X2 and Tatsu. On the other hand, it's not unusual for TNR to still be running (with VR), with an hour-long line, long after the other rides have closed up for the night.

Assuming it's not legitimate and you just have horrendous luck, that's pretty much the most "Magic Mountain" thing ever.

Was at the park yesterday. Lot was 1 and a partial of the 2nd. Couple interesting things happened. 1. Jet steam was overflowing with water into the entrance of the queue and a stream of water coming from the exit. Maybe a drain was clogged or something. Came back to it an hour later and it was running...thought that might have been more serious than that.Justice league closed down for like 45 minutes late in the day but reopened an hour before closing. The car you ride sure moves alot and spins I like that. Cool animatronics and fire. The ending was so fast and intense I barely knew what happened and it was over. The gun lazer on the screen was so low could barely tell where and if I hit my targets. Intro 2 rooms were kind of funny, and dramatic. Maybe a little too boring and long but that will be better waiting outside on hot days so it's okay.

Apocalypse was closed. Some rides were a straight walk on. Some a few train wait. Goliath had a line past the bottom of the stairway chose not to ride it. Just missed a duel on TC on the second lap. The operation of the lift hill slowing down very slow waiting for the train to catch up or speeding up is off compared to opening preview weekend. We were on the hill about 1/2 way when the other train got to the hill when we sped up for a few seconds before slowing very slow. That few seconds of it speeding up unnecessary cost us to miss the duel when if the train just slowed down from the start we could have easily dueled. Superman was getting no where near the top of the tower. Ride operator on X made my hardness so tight that the whole ride was not comfortable.

Also I first filled up my sports bottle at the store near gold rusher right when it opened without them asking to see my wristband. Later I went to the one by full throttle and was asked to show it. Do they not check much in that store by gold rusher alot? Or was I lucky as they just opened? Maybe there is a spot to fill up without purchasing a wristband.

c89b77c18bd40f7d216701a63e69b49f.thumb.jpg.701a7c48aeca425e707919dc22c984ad.jpg

2f01eaab4e155746151a4381bc79122d.thumb.jpg.b8342b898085f3d50809c2ab2c60c3a5.jpg

I've been to magic moutain 50 times and always run to a headliner right before the park closes and never had it break down then.

As long as you are in the line before the park closes, they will let you wait to ride. We used to do this with whatever line was the longest during the day and leave it for the last ride, usually X2. Sometimes cutting it close and getting there less than 5 minutes before the park closes. I've been there before where the park closed at 10 and we didn't walk off the ride until 11:30 almost 12am.

What's funny is during the day the line can drag along and seem like it takes forever. Once the park is closed and the employees want to go home, it's amazing how their efficiency increases and how they start hustling to get those trains through as fast as possible. You'll never see them hustle between trains, or to the dispatch positions in the middle of the day, but man oh man once the park is closed they start hopping around from car to car checking restraints, then fast jogging over the the dispatch positions.

Back in the early 2000's I thought it was policy at Six Flags to close the lines early at the estimated time so that the line completed by closing time (ie: if park closes at 10p and the line for Superman is 1 hour, they close the line for that ride at 9) -- or was this just a Darien Lake thing because of the laser show? I could have sworn we saw that at multiple Six Flags parks back in the day... I'm curious when that changed. I remember it was always something I hated because we would run from half-way across the park not knowing if the park closed the ride line yet.

I remember it always stating this on the park maps as well.

Edited by anonymouscactus

While my preference is to let anyone ride if they're in line before closing time, I don't mind the idea of closing down the line so that everyone will ride by the time the park closes. What would bother me is if they just said, "Okay, 9pm, the ride is closed," and people who had been waiting in line were SOL, but I've not heard of that happening.

Every park I've been too will close the line either at park close or 15 min before park close (if its long). It all depends on supervisor on duty and the crew. Ive been in the station before 2-3 min before closing and they were making announcements of people running into the long line and jumping the barrier to leave since they had closed the line.