TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

p. 118 - EPCOT Destination D23 news roundup!

Does it work like a buffet, where you go to each food/wine station? Is there any limit to the number of times you can visit the same station?

Yes, and no! It's a great way to try different foods & drinks, and when you find one you like, you can keep going back as much as you want!

Epicurean extravaganza indeed! Such a perfect way to indulge the taste senses with exquisite, elevated samples by top chefs! (And you get to go back to "reload!!") Alas, I didn't see any Doggy Bags on the tables. Looks like you two had one heck of a 'swell' evening!

Alice

Thanks for the review Robb, I hadn't heard of these events before.

Does it work like a buffet, where you go to each food/wine station? Is there any limit to the number of times you can visit the same station?

In addition to visiting more than once, when it was less busy I would go back and ask for double or without something or with extra something and they were happy to oblige!

• 1 month later...

It's after Thanksgiving so that means it is time for the 2017 EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays! The Gardens are nice and Food & Wine is fine but I think this the EPCOT Festival that is most festive! In addition to the Christmas trees and decorations there are musicians, food booths, storytellers, fireworks, and of course the famous Candlelight Processional.

Today let's take a look at the Storytellers. These short (5-10 min) shows around the World Showcase introduce guests to holiday traditions and customs at the various countries. Walking around the world (with a hot spiced wine) watching these shows will get you into the spirit of the holidays.

small-7170.thumb.jpg.1bac33a662d0940e8a07a4957d12a967.jpg

Epcot gets special holiday displays

small-7173.thumb.jpg.48f624f5b9f6413a0521654a496681c6.jpg

The EPCOT tree features greetings in many languages

small-7156.thumb.jpg.02e70493c46ec2a6b96188a5477322dc.jpg

The "Joyful" group sings gospel music at the Future World stage.

small-7176.thumb.jpg.56a3374666db4d2f8cc3fb9ac0da5367.jpg

In Mexico the new margarita stand has opened and seems very popular

small-7177.thumb.jpg.e0fcf1a8bd081ca940a29233d38020c7.jpg

A bit of a color has appeared over the street. I really like it. It's a little detail that makes this small part of the street a little more interesting.

small-7179.thumb.jpg.a8e7d983798dc6030799382ee4dfc5fc.jpg

A closer look shows that the flags are scenes from Disney/Pixar's Coco.

small-7213.thumb.jpg.4f3ff2e73af34390322a7b453745387b.jpg

There are now two competing mariachi bands for two competing holidays. El Mariachi Coco de Santa Cecilia plays music from Coco which celebrates the Day of the Dead.

small-7235.thumb.jpg.902966691eb59e2985738c5feecdf2b5.jpg

Meanwhile the regular Mariachis play traditional Mexican music with a Christmas flavor.

small-7238.thumb.jpg.2c677d681509289181264be896024b07.jpg

Learn the story of the poinsettia gift at this performance

small-7185.thumb.jpg.bef3d2f97e28652cc80e2e58aae40d6d.jpg

Over in Norway we meet Sigrid who explains the local Christmas traditions. But she is interrupted by a mischievous gnome she cannot see called Julenissen.

small-7206.thumb.jpg.d843a2c8e27938e5f3115b152f76d892.jpg

With the help of the guests we help her believe in Julenissen, just in time for Christmas. This is my favorite of the holiday shows and I highly recommend you check it out.

small-7225.thumb.jpg.d4e2345c01d980e148deb6ff9c0adcde.jpg

In China two acrobats perform the lion dance for good luck in the new year

small-7260.thumb.jpg.77f9d9ffc5b3c89608b1c4661a460a9b.jpg

A non-holiday detour in Germany... they've added some more trains to the model layout. It's not 100% authentic though... the Golden Pass is in Switzerland!

small-7252.thumb.jpg.a859ab8842ca54f973a1eab0534d82f3.jpg

No Nutcracker show in Germany this year but you can get custom ornaments

small-7268.thumb.jpg.44434d0b9af95317bfb8c57d4b4e3351.jpg

Inside the American Adventure there are gingerbread monuments.

small-7270.thumb.jpg.f62a087946d30bd2ea1e219614c49281.jpg

You can also enjoy Christmas carols as sung by the Voices of Liberty. This is another highly recommended show.

small-7362.thumb.jpg.cf989f6c24ed4737e7d23b5c73473ecb.jpg

In Japan you will learn about Daruma dolls and how the Japanese celebrate the new year.

small-7373.thumb.jpg.4b0360cb49fba677a25654b272ad18a8.jpg

Celebrate Hanukkah with "Mostly Kosher" and their Klezmer music.

small-7289.thumb.jpg.1c29a56f6c36553147bfc016ce26ae31.jpg

In Morocco the band and a belly dancer entertain guests

small-7295.thumb.jpg.f0e0a1e5d889ca292c9bf73fbdd3e2dc.jpg

This is advertised as a holiday how in the guide map but there isn't very much more than the normal show

small-7303.thumb.jpg.bbb28788a5b67c7de19ac3d9c9213beb.jpg

Speaking of which, you should know that most of the regular Epcot entertainment is still ongoing during the holiday festival. Good news for us since there is even more to see. Not so much for this poor guy who keeps getting in precarious situations.

small-7307.thumb.jpg.a19c3f43336c02da75819f90a56501cf.jpg

Giant ornaments in Paris

small-7308.thumb.jpg.8a09c76b6acb76adeca52f360b1d37dd.jpg

The Arc de Triomphe too

small-7309.thumb.jpg.4c1caa6197f0cecf4e3411980d7ae55e.jpg

Even Belle is dressed for Christmas in France!

small-7320.thumb.jpg.4a0cef594e8d9b1364fcd933bf05f37e.jpg

And a good thing she did because Pere Noel is just a few feet away explaining the holiday traditions of rural France

small-7391.thumb.jpg.a3958c0808b6e565e97548d4900212fa.jpg

In the United Kingdom Father Christmas will tell you about various traditions from England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales. He will also guide everyone in singing some UK Christmas carols.

small-7392.thumb.jpg.4bef46f5cd11af7e4bdf325545313f3b.jpg

A lucky young volunteer can help him and will get a small magic gift to take home. This is another show that you shouldn't miss.

small-7425.thumb.jpg.f2696b36896eaeef66d138bc76679957.jpg

In Italy we have La Befana the gift giving witch who visits children on the eve of the Epiphany.

small-7442.thumb.jpg.91c044b9e6e51bdef96e8ebdd79e49ce.jpg

Finally it wouldn't be Christmas at EPCOT without mentioning the Candlelight Processional. This show dates all the way back to Disneyland and Walt himself. At EPCOT the show goes on 3 times a night every night with local high school choirs, a Disney orchestra, and a celebrity narrator.

small-7458.thumb.jpg.d14858bb6e4c5df213551dc70c225fdb.jpg

Good night from EPCOT. Thanks for reading!

I've been strolling thru various online web reports, where there is constant questioning about WHY Disney has put the entryway to the France pavilion's new Ratatouille attraction, at the side of the country's current buildings (that hold the movie and the eateries and shops), and then around the back of it and towards the new attraction's show building. And all of the back part will now be themed, including the back of the current show building.

My take on why, is the new gondola system will be above and passing by France, when it descends towards the station at the International Gateway, the side entrance to EPCOT. And it's probably too close for Disney to let the riders see all the backstage stuff, etc. So they decided to "create more of Paris" which will look more pleasing to the riders as they head towards the station.

That, and it was probably too costly, to go through the gift shop to it (a more direct route).

And the back part still had to be themed to make the new attraction work.

My five cents.

P.S. I also realize that they want to give the new attraction it's own "entryway" rather than through one of the existing buildings in France. And literally, going around the existing buildings appears to be the only way to go, to make it right. Which IMhO makes it a neat way to work with the existing show buildings and make the country more "atmospheric" to wander through and around. Besides it's attractions, and shops and eateries. And my All Time Bucket List Attraction Wish for the Showcase, is an actual (finally) second Alice In Wonderland ride for the UK. And I mean The Original Disney Alice, not the Tim Burton one. After all these years of the original ride in DL being still open and still ridden...why not another one? It's the one true attraction in the Disney Parks Universe that's never been repeated in another Disney park - ever.

Ratatouille3.jpg.e9a305da7ab7c223c325b9e88aadd5bd.jpg

This could be "the view" from the gondola, descending towards the Int.Gateway Station. Ratatouille's in the back there.

^ I love the decision to do the new Entryway for Ratatouille. It will certainly be popular so the queue will be needed, but also it's one of the very few things going in to the Orlando Parks that literally won't be replacing anything. It's just all-new!

That said, ride is a bit overrated, I hope our version has more set immersion vs the more modern technique "replace everything with big movie screens".

That said, ride is a bit overrated, I hope our version has more set immersion vs the more modern technique "replace everything with big movie screens".

I would agree with that. I came away from the ride liking it more than I thought I would, but I honestly went in with low expectations. If anything I think it will serve as a well needed addition to World Showcase and the trend to bring more actual rides to that part of the park continues. With everything else going on at WDW: Star Wars, Tron, Guardians, etc, I feel like Ratatouille will be a solid "B" ride compared to the rest and part of me wishes we were getting whatever the new Beauty and the Beast ride will be at Tokyo instead, but I'm still very happy this is making it's way to Epcot as we need more rides there.

What's this? We have another "festival" event at Epcot? That now makes FOUR festivals annually if you include Food & Wine, Flower & Garden, International Art, and now what used to be Holidays Around the World has now been plussed up into what is being called "Epcot International Festival of the Holidays." Trust me, I am *NOT* complaining in the least bit because Epcot festivals are IMO some of the best times to be had at Walt Disney World and we are getting closer to Epcot having year-around festivals and I am not upset by this in the least bit!

This year's Festival of the Holidays takes the past Christmas events at Epcot and amps them up quite a bit! There are new "Holiday Kitchens" around World Showcase (the Food & Wine booths that so many of us are familiar with), new entertainment, new food & beverage offerings, and overall just a really awesome time to be had during the holidays at Epcot!

Here's some photos & videos from the first TWO days I spent at the event!

NOTE: This update was originally posted live on our Twitter:

DP0E_jCUMAAE1Qj.jpg

Good morning from @WDWToday #Epcot! We will be checking out #FestivalOfTheHolidays all day today!

DP0IsmxUQAA0YmN.jpg

Chip n Dale fans rejoice! They are the mascots for Epcot’s #FestivalOfTheHolidays!

DP0LJVNVwAEdTYQ.jpg

Grab your event guide and get ready to explore the holidays at Epcot!

DP0PH8pUEAAHQrO.jpg

The Odyssey has been transformed into the "Festive Center" for the holidays.

DP0PH8nUIAAuXlh.jpg

DP0PH8oUQAYUui2.jpg

If you’re a fan of Chip n Dale you can watch their classic Christmas cartoon in the Festive Center!

DP0SELbVAAA0L4U.jpg

“Holiday kitchens, entertainment, and merchandise have been expanded for this new #Epcot International Festival of the Holidays.”

DP0XcB_VAAMdNil.jpg

We are about to make you very hungry as we sample some of the new Holiday Kitchen offerings!

DP0YPMMV4AA2I2z.jpg

DP0YPNSUIAAKLyL.jpg

Yes! The Cheese Fondue is back and it is WONDERFUL!!! Highly recommended!

DP0ZtHUV4AA216m.jpg

DP0ZtHTUEAAh1AW.jpg

DP0ZtHRVwAA919U.jpg

The new Holiday Kitchen in Canada has two new offerings this year! The Tourterie was wonderful!

[twitter]

/status/935936080813219841[/twitter]

DP0qZ3NVQAAIWmE.jpg

DP0qZ3OV4AA1NCf.jpg

DP0qZ4PVwAA19QH.jpg

DP0qZ4SUIAAGDbf.jpg

You’ll find Holiday Markets around World Showcase for all your Christmas Disney merchandise needs!

DP1-Q0TUIAIqnja.jpg

Two #Epcot icons in one shot!

DP0uJTFU8AAQAY3.jpg

DP0uJTKVAAAMFOE.jpg

DP0uJTFU8AEWEtN.jpg

We are currently looking for Chip n Dale’s around World Showcase! We found one, but we won’t tell you where this is!

DP162c5U8AABF4_.jpg

Here are the Chip n Dale themed button sets you can choose from when you complete the scavenger hunt!

DP0y3KmVQAAYQ7K.jpg

OMG! I love Belle in her red Christmas dress!

DP05jahVoAA7gtq.jpg

It wouldn’t be a Christmas event without Santa & Mrs. Claus! You can meet them next to American Adventure!

DP2de2DX0AU876l.jpg

If visiting Santa isn’t your thing, there’s also the jolly, jolly, jolly British version Father Christmas over in the England pavilion!

DP08m-sUIAEvM-u.jpg

I’m not sure if cheese fondue and grapefruit beer is officially a good combo, but we think it’s delicious!

DP1vmq8VAAAf0Sq.jpg

DP1vmr-U8AUmXiB.jpg

DP1vmr9UEAAjKKR.jpg

There are more Holiday Kitchens around World Showcase this year and #Epcot’s new holiday event feels more like one of their seasonal festivals! We love it!

DP1yMpIVQAIhgkS.jpg

DP1yMwDVAAAKlZ9.jpg

DP1yMwCUEAEdLZ9.jpg

DP1yMwBUIAAYmoy.jpg

Yes... this is a Chip n Dale themed holiday event and we think that is AMAZING!!! More Chip n Dale merchandise, please!

DP2hQbsVQAAAfGT.jpg

DP2hQbrV4AAPhRc.jpg

Chip n Dale fans! You an get this new #FestivalOfTheHolidays shirt and they will sit right on your back shoulder!

[twitter]

/status/935977114381242369[/twitter]

DP14QPKUQAA7-j0.jpg

DP14QPKUQAEWXA0.jpg

DP14QPIU8AEQUsQ.jpg

I thought these Christmas decorations over in the France pavilion were pretty cool!

DP2bhiOVwAA0_Dx.jpg

DP2bhiOVQAAHAvf.jpg

DP2bhiMUMAAMD5u.jpg

Wow! The French Canadian Tourtiere was wonderful. That and the fondue are so far my “must haves” of this event!

DP1HOToVoAAoLk8.jpg

Tonight's Candlelight Processional host!

DP1fdF7UQAAXFyz.jpg

Loved tonight’s Candlelight Processional hosted by @AnaGasteyer! She was fantastic! Watch the replay of our live stream:

[fbvideonew]https://www.facebook.com/themeparkreview/videos/10155945033313566/[/fbvideonew]

DP2FnxtVwAAJqjN.jpg

DP2FnxtU8AA8Fmf.jpg

If you’re a fan of the Candlelight Processional, booking a dinner package is the way to go! Here’s some info on options and pricing.

DP2InknUIAA_clr.jpg

DP2InkmUMAEzmmZ.jpg

DP2InkkUIAADDJ-.jpg

Look, I am not a “religious person” at all, but that doesn’t stop the Candlelight Processional from being a GREAT show filled with wonderful music!

DP2XKk6UMAEoGbi.jpg

DP2XKk4UIAcrivH.jpg

DP2XKk0VQAAWfW5.jpg

DP2XKl6UMAAW7Hm.jpg

Here are more of the cookies from the “Cookie Nook!” They are all good, but that cream cheese ginger snap... OMG!

DP1q5w7VoAA3ph_.jpg

The #EpcotHolidays Christmas tree lit up at night!

The last 60 seconds of Holiday Illuminations is just bonkers! Watch this clip over & over!

[twitter]

/status/936065861839880194[/twitter]

DP2l1b8VwAA3QDK.jpg

What a fantastic day @WDWToday #EpcotHolidays! The new Festival of the Holidays is just a wonderful time to be here! In fact, I’m coming back tomorrow!

DP5QpQjUEAMON0i.jpg

I said we would be back today and we’re back!

DP5ULUIUMAAGOz0.jpg

DP5ULVKVQAA9hta.jpg

DP5ULULUMAEajFp.jpg

Starting out with two items I didn’t try yesterday.. Mongolian beef bun & pork rice bowl! I I recommend both!

DP5aQRnVoAACe3i.jpg

Of course @ElissaAlvey is already sucking down all the Potstickers! Good luck getting any for yourself!

DP5iD5RUMAAhLmV.jpg

Because one fondue isn’t enough for @ElissaAlvey! Seriously, the fondue is the highlight of @WDWToday #EpcotHoliday Kitchens!

DP5sSgKVoAAXAqm.jpg

We just found Chip n Dale in #Japan! Won’t give away the actual location but we hope they sell this one at some point because we love it!

Thank you again for reading and to those of you who followed us LIVE on Twitter during this update! Now please...

POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!

Edited by robbalvey

So, with a TON of Chip & Dale stuff available..... how's Elissa's wallet doing?

And out of all that glorious-looking food available.....what the heck is "Canadian ketchup"?

Is there maple syrup in it, or something like that? Never heard of a specific kind, like that.

Awesome TR, Robb! Thanks for posting all of it.

GAH!

even tho I just ate dinner, now I'm hungry again, looking at all that spectacular food.

(and so much Chip N Dale is a bonus).

looks like a great Holiday festival.

What's this? We have another "festival" event at Epcot? That now makes FOUR festivals annually if you include Food & Wine, Flower & Garden, International Art, and now what used to be Holidays Around the World has now been plussed up into what is being called "Epcot International Festival of the Holidays." Trust me, I am *NOT* complaining in the least bit because Epcot festivals are IMO some of the best times to be had at Walt Disney World and we are getting closer to Epcot having year-around festivals and I am not upset by this in the least bit!

I agree with this completely!

So, with a TON of Chip & Dale stuff available..... how's Elissa's wallet doing?

So far so good, only because I can't decide what to get!!!

When faced with a once-in-a-lifetime, life-altering decision like THIS, I say (as the Brits would) "GET THE LOT!"

Alice