TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

p. 118 - EPCOT Destination D23 news roundup!

^ I agree with you Chuck, although I wish that I could go every year like you, Robb/Elissa and others. The trip reports that you all do helps a little with the sting of that though.

I seem to recall having only one or two things at F&W that I may have considered mediocre, but the majority of the samples that I have had have been either really good or just downright delicious. I have had nothing that I would say is nasty or uneatable.

As a person that has been to his share of food festivals, my advice for the poster that stated the food at F&W mediocre, you might just want to stay away from your hometown's food festivals - now some of THOSE can be great, to mediocre, to downright terrible!

My strategy for Food and Wine is to eat at least one real meal at one of the Quick Service locations in addition to some of the smaller bites. Especially since each plate seems to go up by 1 dollar+ every year now in addition to shrinking. It's a surprisingly expensive experience otherwise, at least 50 per person before alcohol. And I can eat at the Japanese or Moroccan pavilion anytime.

The food is definitely very very good on average.

I think that Michael and I blew through about $250 on food and booze when we went...but I wanted to make sure that I had a sample of alcohol from every country so I could say that I drank my way around the world - we had a freaking blast.

Now do the alcohol samples in each country during F&W count, or do you unofficially have to have a full alcoholic beverage at every permanent country for it to qualify? Given that there are a lot of other countries represented at the food festivals, I know that I had a really good buzz going on by the time Illumigaytions started.

I think that Michael and I blew through about $250 on food and booze when we went...but I wanted to make sure that I had a sample of alcohol from every country so I could say that I drank my way around the world - we had a freaking blast.

Now do the alcohol samples in each country during F&W count, or do you unofficially have to have a full alcoholic beverage at every permanent country for it to qualify? Given that there are a lot of other countries represented at the food festivals, I know that I had a really good buzz going on by the time Illumigaytions started.

I'm not THAT much of a drinker, but hell yes, I'd be trying "one of everything" from every booth.

so I expect our cost the one time we went to a similar festival was close, if not as much as yours.

Two things.

Do they have that combo plate and beverage cup holder available, again? I think they had one for sale last year,

and it looked perfect for carrying food and beverages with one hand, from the various kiosks at The Festival.

And, do they have a (let's say) 4 oz. Festival Beverage Cup (for reuse when sampling different wines and beers, etc.) in the Festival?

I ask this, because having experienced using such a cup at two Brew Fests (Cedar Point and PNE's) this past year. it seemed like a good

way to "go green" without using more plastic containers, etc. At each beer booth there were water jugs to rinse the previous tasting, out

of it. Then the cup could be refilled, etc.

If not, why not? If several wine pairings are going to be (suggested) with various kiosks' food offerings,

why not make it 4 oz and then have this type of cup? Or is it that the event is so big, if might not be possible

to have this available?

Thought I would ask.

Souvenirs02.JPG.729aae2b31d21fbc0d7a9b4aa773cd64.JPG

My 4oz. reusable cups, from B&B in CP, and the Beer Fest at The PNE in vancouver.

Do they have that combo plate and beverage cup holder available, again? I think they had one for sale last year,

and it looked perfect for carrying food and beverages with one hand, from the various kiosks at The Festival.

They do! They've had it for a number of years now and I'm pretty sure it's become a staple of the event.

And, do they have a (let's say) 4 oz. Festival Beverage Cup (for reuse when sampling different wines and beers, etc.) in the Festival?

They don't because it's not like an equal amount at each place. And it's less like a "sample" and more like a "small drink" and those drink cups can come in all different shapes and sizes depending on what you get. So I think it makes more sense that way.

I'm finally making to this event in November! Only going to Disney for 4 days during a long weekend. Not having enough vacation time sucks but short trips are better than no trips .

I haven't been to Disney since 2008 so really excited about heading back. I'm mainly going for Food and Wine @ Epct but can't wait to see the big changes in Magic Kingdom also.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but as part of the Epcot 35th Anniversary celebration, Disney announced that the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride taking over Universe of Energy will indeed be a launched coaster with elements "unique" to all other WDW coasters. This link includes a rendition of what may be the footprint. They also announced that the show building will be 11 stories tall - so this ride is going to be massive. Looking forward to seeing construction progress over the next couple of years. Any speculation as to the ride system, and themed elements?

http://blogmickey.com/2017/10/guardians-galaxy-attraction-epcot-roller-coaster/

Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but as part of the Epcot 35th Anniversary celebration, Disney announced that the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride taking over Universe of Energy will indeed be a launched coaster with elements "unique" to all other WDW coasters. This link includes a rendition of what may be the footprint. They also announced that the show building will be 11 stories tall - so this ride is going to be massive.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but as part of the Epcot 35th Anniversary celebration, Disney announced that the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride taking over Universe of Energy will indeed be a launched coaster with elements "unique" to all other WDW coasters. This link includes a rendition of what may be the footprint. They also announced that the show building will be 11 stories tall - so this ride is going to be massive. Looking forward to seeing construction progress over the next couple of years. Any speculation as to the ride system, and themed elements?

http://blogmickey.com/2017/10/guardians-galaxy-attraction-epcot-roller-coaster/

Two of the insiders over on wdwmagic (marni and wdw1974) have said (as it currently stands!) to not expect a dark ride portion. Essentially get in, launch, fly by/pass through objects like RnRC and Tron, and that's it. They haven't pegged a time but it's apparently comparable to RnRC. There'll be multiple pre-show areas though since the UoE building will only house load, unload, and queue. There hasn't been any hints on the ride system yet. They haven't said much else on it because they aren't too enthused with it.

^ Two people (out of how many people who do know about it) haven't said much about it?

Not enthused with it? Sorry to hear that they aren't.

They're interested in the other more unique things going to WDW. This isn't the topic for it, but the Star Wars land rides will be packing some interesting tech that they are pretty excited about. The replacement for Stitch was a Wreck it Ralph AR attraction, then VR, then 3d, then stalled and now it kinda unfroze since the pre-show is becoming a meet and greet but apparently it's a new project. So hopefully no more Stitch by the 50th. Apparently The Seas pavilion might have a cool thing happening if the proposal goes through but that is apparently a few years away and is heavily subject to change. A new ride in the UK pavilion is greenlit, Coco to the Mexico pavilion in about 2-3 years, and Brazil getting closer to locked in are other things happening too. But on top of that, demo'ing a chunk of Innoventions and turning it into more flat space as it stands right now doesn't sound good.

So I can get why "just another" coaster isn't exactly thrilling to them. I'm somewhat looking forward to it but it would've been nice if they expanded Epcot instead of replacing (On topic of replacing, a proposed spot for Tron was Fantasmic! A couple other insiders confirmed it as well). The "big bang" conversion for UoE would've been very cool. I'm pretty trusting of these 2 specific people as well of the others on that forum. They've been right with just about everything over the last 10+ years.

I honestly hope it's a Vekoma flyer. Disney's had concepts for flyers before and they have a long-standing relationship with Vekoma who're introducing a launched flyer with FLY at Phantasialand next year(?) so it'd make sense. You can theme the trains to the Milano and have riders fly through space.

A new ride in the UK pavilion is greenlit, Coco to the Mexico pavilion in about 2-3 years, and Brazil getting closer to locked in are other things happening too.

Wait, huh? Maybe I missed something, can I get a source on all this?

A new ride in the UK pavilion is greenlit, Coco to the Mexico pavilion in about 2-3 years, and Brazil getting closer to locked in are other things happening too.

Wait, huh? Maybe I missed something, can I get a source on all this?

Source are in the threads over at the WDWMagic forums: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/forums/wdw-parks-news-rumors-and-current-events.4/

There's a great thread that's been put together by a member over there that sums up all the currents rumors/hints/confirmed happenings that has a source for each of the bullet points: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/rumor-and-timeline-tracker-v-2.934137/

Tonight we attended one of Epcot's "Party for the Senses" Food & Wine events. The official event information can be found here:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/epcot/food-wine-party-for-senses/

Basically, the easiest way to describe this event is "high end Epcot Food & Wine Festival." This event takes place only 4 or 5 times during the Food & Wine Festival, often times it has a theme, other times it is a collection of higher-end food & alcohol offerings than what you get around World Showcase.

There are different tiers for the event pricing, and new this year is the 'everyone has a seat' options meaning that instead of the venue having various tables & high-tops for people to mingle at, everyone will be assigned a seat, and this seems to have been very positively received.

The food itself is just wonderful! We had celebrity chefs, Disney high-end resort dining chefs and some of the best from Food & Wine. The items served during Party for the Senses are very different from the rest of Food & Wine and often times are exclusive to that one evening!

Here's a few photos of the fun we had from the event...

DLkjc0qWsAAvb3X.jpg

Tonight we are Walt Disney World Epcot attending a Party for the Senses event!

DLkqXbWUIAAljAy.jpg

Just in case you forgot what the event was called (there's a lot of alcohol...it happens!)

DLkqXbUUQAAVMc7.jpg

DLkqXcpUIAAPp0v.jpg

We have only just sat down and we already have food!

DLkuqx6VwAABCPr.jpg

DLkuqx8VYAAyxE4.jpg

Just had a delicious rabbit taco from Hell's Kitchen season 5 contestant Chef Paula Dasilva!

DLkuqx3UIAYS9t3.jpg

I don't normally eat little cute bunnies, but when I do, I prefer them in tacos!

DLkyi86VAAE-VJT.jpg

DLkyi8NUEAAhuEE.jpg

NYC Graffiti Restaurant owner & Next Iron Chef runner-up Jehangir Mehta is here serving a wonderful Wasabi Avocado Duck! YUM!

DLkyi8MUIAA0vs4.jpg

This thing was spicy & wonderful!

DLk29HZVoAAIA75.jpg

This right here is Beef Nigiri Sushi and it was seriously AMAZING! Wow!!!

DLk6mFcV4AAbITA.jpg

DLk6mFTV4AAkcUT.jpg

The grapefruit beer is featured at the Party For The Senses and I love it! One of my favorite "adult beverages" at WDW!

DLk_lR7U8AAIWo8.jpg

DLk_lR9VwAE457G.jpg

DLk_lR9VAAE3rqM.jpg

Chef Terry Letson's short ribs melted in your mouth!

DLlBTONUMAA6ZEI.jpg

Because coffee is always better when you add that Disney touch!

DLlGDooV4AASE2J.jpg

That is a red velvet donut with bacon and peach cobbler. Both fantastic!

DLlO0pAVwAAlIiZ.jpg

DLlO0pDUMAEtQOH.jpg

DLlO0pBVwAA_sPU.jpg

Party For The Senses makes great use of the event venue between Canada & UK Pavilions at Epcot.

DLlYjVXUIAEA8TE.jpg

DLlYjVdVAAAj-CD.jpg

DLlYjVZVAAAjvJD.jpg

The food, wine, desserts, & atmosphere at PartyForTheSenses was all wonderful and high-end! We strongly recommend this event!

DLlYjVZUEAAXaOU.jpg

And yes, we were even able to take home this cool Epcot 35 wine glass!

We strongly recommend this event! Be sure to check out the website for more details:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/epcot/food-wine-party-for-senses/

Edited by robbalvey

Avoiding these food tours you do, is totally useless. Can't avoid them.

And this one is no exception. What a spread of eatables they served up!

Great idea for a ticketed event during the Festival itself!

Thanks for sharing the pix of the various chefs too, Robb. That was

neat to see, especially with what they had created, to serve you.

that latest update looks absolutely incredible.

glad you had such a great time, and such good food.

(oh how i wish I lived close to Disney World. . .I'd probably be at Epcot every night for dinner, and blow the budget at Food & Wine offerings (not to mention the MK special parties too)).

thanks for allowing me to live vicariously thru y'all so much!