TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Last concert you attended?

BeemerBoy

I saw the Melivns at Union Transfer a few days ago, and it's the best live show I've ever been to. It's a tough choice between them and King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard, but I'd give Melvins the slight edge. The opening act was Spotlights. Both bands were extremely loud, and probably the loudest show I've been to.

Spotlights was a really amazing opening act, and I definitely prefer them live since the ambient synth parts were quiet in the mix and less of a focus than on the records. Such beautiful, loud sludge metal! You could feel the noise vibrations your chest. My dad and my sister absolutely loved their set.

Melvins were absolutely incredible. King Buzzo is insane and awesome, and Dale Crover is one of my top 3 favorite drummers of all time. Steven McDonald is very energetic and interacted with the crowd the whole time. This band goes through bassists quickly, but I hope he gets to stay in the band for a long time, since he fits in perfectly, especially for live shows. The set list for this tour is perfect. They played a lot of their lesser-known songs. The track order was perfect, and the set list had a good flow to it. In fact, there weren't many breaks, and a lot of tracks would flow seamlessly into each other. They played plenty of great new songs and covers of course. I loved that they played almost all the material from their album Lysol. Hung Bunny/Roman Bird Dog was the best way to end a concert ever. The crowd was enthusiastic too. There was a decent mini mosh pit, especially when they played The Bit and Amazon. This show blew my mind since I'm so obsessed with this band. Everyone should experience the Melvins. My sister went with me and loved it, even though she knows nothing about them.

It's funny how you mentioned seeing Melvins when a friend of mine who was out on his honeymoon in Seattle a few weeks ago saw King Buzzo's nephew playing with Undergang. Granted, Sam Osborne has never tried to capitalize on his uncle's name (not that you really can when you only play in underground death metal acts) and my friend didn't actually know who he was until I told him, but it's still pretty cool.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the Melivns at Union Transfer a few days ago, and it's the best live show I've ever been to. It's a tough choice between them and King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard, but I'd give Melvins the slight edge. The opening act was Spotlights. Both bands were extremely loud, and probably the loudest show I've been to.

Spotlights was a really amazing opening act, and I definitely prefer them live since the ambient synth parts were quiet in the mix and less of a focus than on the records. Such beautiful, loud sludge metal! You could feel the noise vibrations your chest. My dad and my sister absolutely loved their set.

Melvins were absolutely incredible. King Buzzo is insane and awesome, and Dale Crover is one of my top 3 favorite drummers of all time. Steven McDonald is very energetic and interacted with the crowd the whole time. This band goes through bassists quickly, but I hope he gets to stay in the band for a long time, since he fits in perfectly, especially for live shows. The set list for this tour is perfect. They played a lot of their lesser-known songs. The track order was perfect, and the set list had a good flow to it. In fact, there weren't many breaks, and a lot of tracks would flow seamlessly into each other. They played plenty of great new songs and covers of course. I loved that they played almost all the material from their album Lysol. Hung Bunny/Roman Bird Dog was the best way to end a concert ever. The crowd was enthusiastic too. There was a decent mini mosh pit, especially when they played The Bit and Amazon. This show blew my mind since I'm so obsessed with this band. Everyone should experience the Melvins. My sister went with me and loved it, even though she knows nothing about them.

Hehe - I told you to be prepared!

Glad that you had a great time. When me and my buddy saw them in Seattle, the opening band was Melvins dressed in costumes and wigs and going by a different name - but there was no denying that it was King Buzzo...kinda hard to not recognize him!

But yeah, my ears were ringing for days and we weren't anywhere near the stacks of speakers - nor the stage.

Last one for me was Vans Warped Tour. It was by far the best year of any I have attended. I was glad to see them focus a little more on metal. Ended the day with getting covered in Gwar blood and I wouldn't have it any other way!

20139594_10211093729671518_3853508478596767657_n.jpg.6b63568fbdff4eea5e1d36dd075a88db.jpg

I was on the barrier for it.

• 3 weeks later...
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ The Metro (Chicago) last night.

I was trying to go last minute but it was sold out. Weh.

They are coming around these parts again 9/24-25 at Lincoln Hall, and releasing another record- Sketches of Brunswick East, which sounds like it might be the best thing they've done since Quarters! and I'm In Your Mind Fuzz, but also one of the better new releases I've heard in a while (from what I've heard of it so far). Going to 9-25!

Cruxshadows (at Dragon*con), Sunday night / Monday morning: 1:30-3am

IMG_2407.thumb.JPG.451641f1f7c49cb89d240d769189db77.JPG

IMG_2410.thumb.JPG.f7cc7e18b18153f793ab109be3ddecb1.JPG

IMG_2411.thumb.JPG.1dacbcdac9aa5329d4a5a183f1509821.JPG

IMG_2416.thumb.JPG.5b34b0df97aa89d741df3e0a2d8cba2b.JPG

IMG_2418.thumb.JPG.5c028e92cb685e8a1d6599126e150d34.JPG

IMG_2420.thumb.JPG.8b5472a1738a562e8468d733166c70aa.JPG

Finale song, "Marilyn My Bitterness". .the band invites as many as can make it up onto the stage with them.

signature move of theirs.

Edited by bert425

Got to see the legends themselves Green Day At The Mid Florida Credit Union Amphitheater on Tuesday night. Quite possibly the best show I've ever seen, I think there was like two encores.

20170905_211050.thumb.jpg.4f693dcd3c73a2ed649f901b6721a1ed.jpg

Yes, I do realize this is a terrible picture, but it's the only one I got with my crappy phone camera and we were in the way back. Oh well, still an awesome concert. :^)

I saw Dead Cross at Union Transfer. Secret Chiefs 3 was the opener. I'm not very familiar with them, but they had a microtonal guitar and mandolin! The songs they played had a lot of complicated time signatures and plenty of experimentation and middle-eastern music influences. They were an interesting choice for an opening band, but it was pretty awesome to see.

Dead Cross was great of course. Mike Patton is one of the best frontmen ever, and some of the most bizarre vocals he's done is on the new Dead Cross record. When they played Divine Filth he stage dove twice! They played most of, if not all of their songs, plus new material and a few covers. Dave Lombardo killed it on drums. The drum set was literally shaking. Cool band. Their album is one of my favorite albums of the year so far.

Fantastic show last night from Australian Techno-industrial pioneers, Severed Heads.

not a huge crowd (they came up to Austin for a show before the bigger show today in Houston (that also features Front 242, Leathearstrip, and themselves), but meant that there was plenty of room for dancing and moving around.

IMG_2472.thumb.JPG.34eb0928cdecd14d7bc21d829d650150.JPG

IMG_2473.thumb.JPG.f2c37a6954ef534fb07f4e1a4b214d6d.JPG

IMG_2477.thumb.JPG.11f7fc234a94e57dc0e15e2358b495e5.JPG

IMG_2478.thumb.JPG.a11d206540b5331b33f4f2fe7a9c9102.JPG

IMG_2482.thumb.JPG.ee438e252cbbf02a49ef3c4e02ada395.JPG

this is a rare look, into how they chose what song to do for encore.

yep, rock, paper, scissors! :)

Edited by bert425

^^ Lucky you!

What do you think of Orc? I wasn't too sure at first, but it's growing on me quickly. My friends on the west coast are going to see Oh Sees tonight.

Our last show was Roger Waters in Buffalo on 9/9...amazing as always. Can anyone guess who the asshole is on the side of the inflatable pig? Let's just say that the classic song 'Pigs' from the album Animals pretty much describes who and what this guy is to a tee perfectly!

20170909_214940_resized.jpg.12aac047632e0314e7394b249d38b93a.jpg

Awesome split screen going down the middle of the arena!

20170909_215051_resized.jpg.f3247831b7946286f26f6f036784b39d.jpg

He did Dogs and Pigs from the album Animals - too awesome.

20170909_220630_resized.jpg.33fc3e015c756d54bfc3d680f097695c.jpg

Can you make out who is on the inflatable pig on the right????

^^ Lucky you!

What do you think of Orc? I wasn't too sure at first, but it's growing on me quickly. My friends on the west coast are going to see Oh Sees tonight.

Same. It's not their best, but after a few spins it begins to grow on you. I'm really looking forward to their next one (due in October) - the single they've released sounds like something from their OCS days.

^ he did that on the Texas shows too.

LOL, did NOT go over well at the show in Houston, from what I was told

I wondered how the more conservative states would view RW's concerts. Given that every one of the president's supporters gets their panties in a wad every time someone says something negative about him, I'm surprised that people haven't started with the protests in front of the arenas and burning his concert t-shirts.

Ed - So it looks like the Oh Sees are doing like what they did with An Odd Entrances and A Weird Exits by releasing two albums only a month or so apart? I loved A Weird Exits, but An Odd Entrances was one that I found a bit "meh".

Straight No Chaser... Having only heard one song from them before going I had no idea how good they are. They are a really good group.

They had an opener called Postmodern Jukebox and they are AWESOME! They take well known pop songs and jazz them up. Hearing a girl sing a very slow jazzy burlesque version of No Diggity was awesome!

I saw Dinosaur Jr. yesterday, and they were even better than when I saw them in November. Easy Action was the opening act again, and of course they kicked ass. All the old people and hipsters looked traumatized by them. Dinosaur Jr.'s set list was perfect. They played at least one popular song from almost every album, and it was a really long set. The Lung was a highlight for me, and it had an extended solo. They playing was incredible like always. The encore was Mountain Man and a cover of TV Eye by the Stooges, so the encore had a more of a punk/hardcore vibe. For TV Eye they brought John Brannon back on for vocals and it was insane! The crowd was very energetic (and drunk) during the older songs and there was a great mosh pit (except for the guy who started a fist fight). It was an amazing show, and definitely up there with Melvins and King Gizzard. Still an awesome band!

Pics from last night's amazing Pankow show.

but holy crap embarrassed by Austin's Industral/darkwave scene.

Only $12 for a chance to see the Rarely-in-america German/Italian Pioneers. . . . and so many online said they were coming out (some even claiming to drive up from Houston).

and, including Wendy and I, I think there were maybe 12 folks there (not counting the opening band and their group (which was Lustron, who were good, tho way too loud for me, but with earplugs drowning out the highpitched feedback, I liked them a lot and will pick up the eventual CD when they release one).

anyways, Kudos to the club, Elysium for getting them to come in, and huge Kudos to the band who put on an energetic and GREAT set (mix of classic songs with more recent, and even a new song, that had heavy early Nitzer Ebb sound), and commented that he was so happy to see those of us there dancing along to every song.

It really was like a private concert, that they gave their all, regardless of the tiny "Crowd"

they are both super cool, and hung out at the bar and talked to us for a while after the set.

but shame on Austin!

and the set closer dedicated to the 'four ladies" that were in the audience

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

and to get a good taste of them, if you aren't familiar, here's their (arguably) biggest Industrial/dance hit: "Art and Madness"

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

IMG_2490.thumb.JPG.eb1a39045345baac67ed134fd3117f88.JPG

IMG_2492.thumb.JPG.3ad2b95fef8bfebb01fb24c805c9b222.JPG

IMG_2496.thumb.JPG.3595dc89ae91929a8565b7ec36a96bf0.JPG

IMG_2502.thumb.JPG.52c6e5cb2aea1a7d966dc8dbf54e144f.JPG

IMG_2503.thumb.JPG.a86b9a56c6da494e2ab659463e489071.JPG

IMG_2504.thumb.JPG.bbb39af6b80c7764a643e0273442cf25.JPG

hanging out with them at the bar after the show.

Wendy and I chatted with them for almost 40 minutes, they were so cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great Friday the 13th, seeing some classic industrial/dance bands that not only ended up playing just a few blocks from each other at different venues, but worked together to stagger the sets, so that many could see all bands! both shows Sold out.

Also, since the bands know each other, and the club owners, multiple members were milling around both shows, and we got to talk to them and get pics.

over at the Mohawk with show starting at 9, OhGr (band fronted by Nivek Ogre from Skinny Puppy), and KMFDM touring on the latest album "Hell Yeah"

then up the street at Elysium, starting at Midnight, My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult, 35th anniversary tour, playing the first 2 Wax Trax! albums live + the b-sides from all the 12" singles from those two albums.

a fantastic night out with my friend Wendy with some really, really good music (for the most part).

quick takes:

OhGr: 9 out of 10:

GREAT set list (even if no Puppy getting played, but hey they did play "dog" does that count? ). They not only sounded amazing, but looked like they were having a hell of a great time - and they were: We talked to a couple of they guys at the end of the night at Elysium, such nice, nice guys, who were so appreciative when I told them how much I had enjoyed their set (and how much better they were than KMFDM. . they were). Apparently this is only the 3rd date on the tour? but they were having a blast up there, and it was infectious. . . and, as typical, Ogre was giving off a *very* Peter Gabriel crossed with Peter Murphy vibe from up there on the stage.

KMFDM: 5 out of 10

yeah. . . we didn't stay for the whole set, and that should tell you everything.

I love KMFDM, and was expecting them to focus on the later albums (which they did a lot), but opening with "Rip the System" and mid-set with "Light" helped keep me moving along as they also hit the more recent singles.

But as my Dad said when I took him to see the show "STOMP", after a few songs, I was like: "I get it. What else are you going to do?"

They just seemed a bit unexcited to be there, and when a fight with drunk fratboys and sorority girls broke out during "Hell Yeah" it was actually a bit more entertaining than what was on the stage.

Bumping into John who mentioned that the TTK show at Elysium had sold out, was more than enough impetus to cut out from Mohawk 20 minutes or so before the set ended, so we wouldn't have to fight the crowd to get into Elysium and get a good spot (which we managed to do up front). folks I talked to that stayed for the whole set said they didn't do an encore, or really end on a good note, just kind of walked off the stage.

So yeah. . not awful, but not the greatest thing I ever saw.

OhGr really should have been headliner, I suspect.

My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult: 10/10

Ab-so-freaking-lutely fantastic.

Yeah, Groovie is looking a bit like Geraldo Rivera these days (in particular with his glasses on), but man did he sound fantastic.

The 1st two albums live, followed by *every* B-side from the 12" released from those albums.

so yeah, got to hear "Devil Bunnies" and "Cuz it's Hot" among other things, played live!

The drums onstage just made the whole club pulse, so glad they have the full band and not just a programmed track to play with.

if you get a chance to see them on this tour, HIGHLY recommended.

IMG_2511.thumb.JPG.890949b6838d556b49efe794fa5ddeb0.JPG

sign outside the sold out Mohawk

IMG_2514.thumb.JPG.9500ec4f91f4f17bc953078b28b662e6.JPG

OhGr comes on stage (with Ogre in a mask for the 1st song).

the two on the right, Lead Guitar, and Keyboards, are who we got a pic with 5 hours later, at a different club, where they had come to hang out with members of Thrill Kill Kult.

IMG_2520.thumb.JPG.a4a2b8f6206ba7e4b821f9515317814c.JPG

OhGr, with Ogre still in mask

IMG_2530a.thumb.jpg.4218039940cf7e699e363931d60a41f1.jpg

OhGr, but with Ogre no longer in mask :)

IMG_2532.thumb.JPG.322e4042caa85a5dc22a2b8f3be70a23.JPG

KMFDM

IMG_2537.thumb.JPG.bd97dcc23ec9854bd56bea0393ca25ad.JPG

Sascha from KMFDM (yeah, we had a great spot)

IMG_2543.thumb.JPG.559c6cece19e852630712e67d74fa108.JPG

IMG_2549.thumb.JPG.b1242082ced723f39282945e9e61993d.JPG

Lucia from KMFDM

IMG_2552.thumb.JPG.fedb819a3c01d24e94be34b882af625a.JPG

Hi Lucia !

IMG_2565.thumb.JPG.4e3d15084ee6e8e786af142b04fbfc73.JPG

My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult about to go onstage. . . yeah, we had great spots for them too, and the place was PACKED.

IMG_2573.thumb.JPG.b60c4fefffe64810af1a94d7cf83114f.JPG

it's Thrill Kill Kult!

IMG_2575.thumb.JPG.43ade7c3bcd8a10bf95bbe7ac854864b.JPG

IMG_2578.thumb.JPG.0ee413a362e219537fd74e8910160b0f.JPG

IMG_2579.thumb.JPG.ba3db7a72083288bf54fdaa03fa4239d.JPG

IMG_2531c.thumb.JPG.8bcfbc4b64259b4d2fe9f969ad3b722a.JPG

Me hanging out with members of OhGr (withought their stage makeup), post 2am in front of Elysium.

IMG_2531g.thumb.JPG.06996e67465ffc61b5fe77138c5efb37.JPG

Wendy having a good time (she's a HUGE Nivek Ogre fan, and that was the band she wanted to see most, so I insisted she get a pic with these two) :)

IMG_2589.thumb.JPG.de35b0f471c30c8f6956f3be1746d502.JPG

Groovie Mann from Thrill Kill Kult just hanging around the club after the set.

oh, adding musical aids for those not familiar with these spectacular bands:

ohGr "Water"

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

KMFDM "Light"

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult "Do you fear for your child?"

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

and "Kooler than Jesus"

[youtu_be]