TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

What would be a tip for someone experiencing Lex Luthor for the first time? Would looking up the whole time and not down be helpful during the ascent, so as to make things somewhat less unnerving? Thanks.

Don't look up... it makes you realize how much further you still have to go. . .

Don't look down, it will make you have a tiny panic attack about how high up you are.

Just look out, straight ahead and enjoy the view!!!

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum (my first post haha) and have a couple questions. My home park is SFOG but I am traveling to CA next weekend. I am planning to go to SFMM on Sunday, the 24th. So my questions:

1 - are the crowds typically smaller on Sunday? they are in GA so just curious

2 - what are the top 5 coasters you recommend? I don't think we'll be able to ride everything as this is my only opportunity because I will be there on business during the week.

Thank you in advance!

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum (my first post haha) and have a couple questions. My home park is SFOG but I am traveling to CA next weekend. I am planning to go to SFMM on Sunday, the 24th. So my questions:

1 - are the crowds typically smaller on Sunday? they are in GA so just curious

2 - what are the top 5 coasters you recommend? I don't think we'll be able to ride everything as this is my only opportunity because I will be there on business during the week.

Thank you in advance!

I would rate the coasters as follows:

1) X2

2) Twisted Colossus

3) Tatsu

4) Fu11 Throttle

5) Goliath

6) Superman

7) Riddlers Revenge

8) Scream

9) Batman

10) Apocalypse

11) Ninja

12) Revolution (don't do the VR, it sucks)

13) Viper

14) Gold Rusher

And whatever you do, don't ride Green Lantern. It's painful and not any fun, so don't waste your time on it.

Hey any locals know what's going on Sept 21st at magic mountain? I see the hours are 1030-8 instead of the 1030-6 which is almost every other weekday hours and the isitpacked crowd calendar has it as a busy day. Seems bizarre for a Thursday in the middle of September. Was planning on visiting the park this day but wondering if I should adjust the schedule if it's a school holiday or something?

Hey any locals know what's going on Sept 21st at magic mountain? I see the hours are 1030-8 instead of the 1030-6 which is almost every other weekday hours and the isitpacked crowd calendar has it as a busy day. Seems bizarre for a Thursday in the middle of September. Was planning on visiting the park this day but wondering if I should adjust the schedule if it's a school holiday or something?

i also noticed that on Sept. 21st, they are open until 8pm. is that some school holiday?

It's technically an "unassigned" day, but it acts the same as a holiday. It's for Rosh Hashanah. So all the LAUSD schools have it off.

I'd stay away unless you can't swap days. I'm sure the other days besides friday will be dead. well, friday will probably be dead until late afternoon when the fright fest crowd starts to enter. you'll also have a real long day to use there which is always nice.

Rosh Hashanah is a really busy day at the park, if you can I would switch the days, if not, Flash Pass! I like Fright Fest days as it is rather quiet at first and it will get busy later. You can basically do all the coasters during the day and the mazes at night. I usually just sit down at one of the scare zones and watch people getting scared. I find it funny.

Surprised nobody was quoting the L.A.Times report that was posted a couple of pages ago that attendance at SFMM increased by 17% to 3.2 Million guests which is rather impressive. Bonnie is doing a good job.

SFMM operates within the schedule for Los Angeles Unified School District and the 21st is Rosh Hashanah a Jewish holiday or remembrance time. Has something to do with getting head for a year per Wikipedia. Etymology: "Rosh" is the Hebrew word for "head", "ha" is the definite article ("the"), and "shanah" means year. Thus "Rosh HaShanah" means 'head [of] the year', referring to the Jewish day of new year.

Just come on Wednesday if you can as even though they are open 2 hours less than Thursday you will have a freestyle of the park and will be able to get multi rides on most. While it might be doable to get on most attractions once on Thursday it will be more crowded.

SFMM operates within the schedule for Los Angeles Unified School District and the 21st is Rosh Hashanah a Jewish holiday or remembrance time. Has something to do with getting head for a year per Wikipedia. Etymology: "Rosh" is the Hebrew word for "head", "ha" is the definite article ("the"), and "shanah" means year. Thus "Rosh HaShanah" means 'head [of] the year', referring to the Jewish day of new year.

Just come on Wednesday if you can as even though they are open 2 hours less than Thursday you will have a freestyle of the park and will be able to get multi rides on most. While it might be doable to get on most attractions once on Thursday it will be more crowded.

Uh oh! Planned a trip to Knott's this Wednesday morning to Friday night to get some rides and first night of scary farm... this hashanah traffic gonna be over there too???

Uh oh! Planned a trip to Knott's this Wednesday morning to Friday night to get some rides and first night of scary farm... this hashanah traffic gonna be over there too???

maybe, but do you really need that many days at Knotts?

Ha! Good question. We are thinking about taking the shuttle to Disney one of the days, maybe Wednesday, because it seems like a slow time of year + the montezuma and xcellerator ride closures. Maybe do that and suck it up and get the fast lane at Knott's Thursdays if the holiday thing is an issue.

Back on topic- gonna be at sfmm the following Friday 29th and hope for a marathon kinda day! Would be great if apocalypse opened

Any report on how Apocalypse is tracking after reopening?

Apocalypse is not smooth by any means, but it's a lot better than it was before they re-tracked it earlier this year. This most recent closure was due to routine maintenance from what I was told by one of the maintenance team members.

Apocalypse is OPEN! I rode it today with friends. Had about a 20 min wait at the line merge, then walk on from there. No lines in the building.

Went to the park today for a few hours to process a friend's pass, and Apocalypse was back to closed again Was looking forward to seeing if anything had changed.

The park was *dead* — single train ops on several of the rides, but there weren't even enough people in line to fill complete trains. We even rode a number of rides where we were the only riders on the train. Justice League broke down again (same thing happened the first time I rode it), but they seemed to fix it quick. Probably unplugging it and plugging it back in again. Also, had what was perhaps the smoothest ride on X2 I've had in years — totally baffling. It was still rough as hell, but not as bad as usual.

Anyone there for Fright Fest know if it's possible to 'upgrade' an existing maze pass to an Express / skip the line maze pass? I bought the maze tickets during the flash sale and didn't think about it at the time / they were not offering the quick version. We are going on a Saturday and I'd like night rides on everything too (we already budgeted gold flash passes) in addition to the mazes so I'm guessing I'll need the express version.

Anyone there for Fright Fest know if it's possible to 'upgrade' an existing maze pass to an Express / skip the line maze pass? I bought the maze tickets during the flash sale and didn't think about it at the time / they were not offering the quick version. We are going on a Saturday and I'd like night rides on everything too (we already budgeted gold flash passes) in addition to the mazes so I'm guessing I'll need the express version.

I didn't get the pass during the flash same for this exact reason. That said, I do believe you can upgrade... but I'm not 100% on that.

I didn't get the pass during the flash same for this exact reason. That said, I do believe you can upgrade... but I'm not 100% on that.

Yes you can!

can someone please tell me the cheapest way to buy a ticket for visiting September 22? I have a season pass but my girlfriend needs a ticket. any coupons from Del taco for example?

do you have a Gold pass? it's bring a friend free on the 22nd.