TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dragon*con 2017 mainly Cosplay Photo Trip Report

Wow...definitely looks like quite the party.

Almost like you'd expect people to be walking around handing out hits of LSD just like before an old Grateful Dead or Pink Floyd show in the 70's or 80's.

there is (apparently) surprisingly little drug use, at least visible drug use, even during all the late night parties, concerts and dances.

Seriously, one doesn't even smell pot out in the smoking areas.

now drinking on the other hand. . .

(yeah, the Hotels put out a LOT of extra freestanding bars all over every level and every ballroom)

Wow, this is awesome! Lots of great costumes here. Gotta give Polaroid Guy props for creativity. I have to admit to loving the mother and daughter both as Supergirl--we go to Comicon Kansas City every year and my kids absolutely love it. Great to see other families passing on the nerdom. Thanks for sharing!

Almost like you'd expect people to be walking around handing out hits of LSD just like before an old Grateful Dead or Pink Floyd show in the 70's or 80's.

It's a party con, but like Bert said there isn't any obvious drug use. I haven't seen anyone doing drugs, I haven't seen anyone that I thought was high and I haven't smelled weed. The raves are rather tame and nowhere near the stereotypical ecstasy filled raves. Drinking is the vice of choice and even that doesn't really get out of hand. People get really drunk, but I haven't seen any fights or anyone vomit. People are pretty respectful and follow the rules despite the craziness.

I will contribute some pictures if I can find the time.

I don't come across many on here i feel know the bands i like to speak of so high five to you good sir!

LOL, thanks.

my Spouse calls me the "Musicpedia"

I have a LOT of music, and a pretty good memory for band details. . I like all kinds of music, except:

Pop music (anything boyband/Britney, etc). . and not a huge fan of Country, tho like some artists.

my sweet spots?

Glam Metal/Hair Metal (KISS, Motley, W.A.S.P., Dokken, Circus of Power, etc) & 80's/90's Industrial/electronic (basically anything on WaxTrax! or PlayitagainSam labels).

This solidifies it. I'm going next year. My mother still lives in Atlanta and I grew up there.

Can't believe you've never been then!

next year is a "maybe" for me. Was supposed to take this year off .. . but ended up going after plans fell thru.

so if things jell with what I hope to be doing around this time, I might skip next year.

but if not? will have to hang out.

the Queerios have a great party (used to be the Gay-Laxians, if I'm not mistaken).. and the Spectrum Party is always a lot of fun. The guy dressed as Supergirl is in line for getting into that party.

I can't believe I never went either. In my defense, when I last actually lived in Atlanta, I was a raging alcoholic party boy. I wouldn't have been aware it was going on really. I lived in Savannah, GA for 13 years before moving to Orlando (been clean and sober for 12 years now.)

Although I'm sure I would have had a great time back then, I'm glad that when I do go, I will remember everything and I won't wake up in a strangers bed not knowing how I got there (I'll introduce myself and remember who they are now )

I can't believe I never went either. In my defense, when I last actually lived in Atlanta, I was a raging alcoholic party boy. I wouldn't have been aware it was going on really. I lived in Savannah, GA for 13 years before moving to Orlando (been clean and sober for 12 years now.)

Although I'm sure I would have had a great time back then, I'm glad that when I do go, I will remember everything and I won't wake up in a strangers bed not knowing how I got there (I'll introduce myself and remember who they are now )

have you really never learned the shower trick? (perfected back in my younger, un-married, days):

"sure! feel free to go take a shower! (so I can look in your wallet and see what your name was)"

It's a party con, but like Bert said there isn't any obvious drug use. I haven't seen anyone doing drugs, I haven't seen anyone that I thought was high and I haven't smelled weed. The raves are rather tame and nowhere near the stereotypical ecstasy filled raves. Drinking is the vice of choice and even that doesn't really get out of hand. People get really drunk, but I haven't seen any fights or anyone vomit. People are pretty respectful and follow the rules despite the craziness.

I will contribute some pictures if I can find the time.

Good to know...sounds like a lot of fun!

Jynx242 - I can confirm that if you or anyone else runs into Bert, he's a genuinely nice guy who happens to be hilarious and is a blast to be around!

Bert - this TR is a hit! Glad you were able to get down there for the Con, even if it was kinda last minute. Did everything end up going smoothly with your flight going down?

• Like 1

Jynx242 - I can confirm that if you or anyone else runs into Bert, he's a genuinely nice guy who happens to be hilarious and is a blast to be around!

Bert - this TR is a hit! Glad you were able to get down there for the Con, even if it was kinda last minute. Did everything end up going smoothly with your flight going down?

d'awwww. . thanks for that Liz

No issue with the flight, other than a very full plane. Even tho Houston took a lot of damage from Harvey (and the Austin airport was slammed from Houston folks being sent this way (and to San Antonio) since the Houston airports were closed for a couple of weeks), Austin never had any damage other than slight wind.

so plane was on time, and ended up having no issues getting to Atlanta.

• 1 month later...

Cruxshadows made a rare non-Atlanta USA appearance in Austin last Friday -- as usually they only tour overeseas (but came in special for the anniversary of our local goth/darkwave dance club, Elysium).

so got to see them twice in one year, and the only time ever while not at Dragon*con.

still a great show (set was the same they played at Dragon*con). . so odd to see them without a sea of lightsabers bobbing in the crowd in front of them

IMG_2642.thumb.JPG.6c163d7ab5d3922d7debbe7e811e9f3f.JPG

10/27 at Elysium, in Austin

IMG_2657.thumb.JPG.d1401dae757dfff640d814d2d6d29d7b.JPG

IMG_2658.thumb.JPG.9eff7786f4c2e7cb95cc423a619256fc.JPG

IMG_2664.thumb.JPG.9be499a8ec3d4862521d024ead4791bb.JPG

• 3 years later...
51 minutes ago, JasonGraham said:

Wow! Great pictures.

thanks.

LOL.. I was wondering why this thread came back up today. . but then I got my email from Dragon*con reminding it's 100 days away!

so it's for certain happening, tho I'm assuming there will be some crowd control and not many "official" parties this year.

Last year had to be digital, but I'm fully vaxxed and ready to see all my friends!

heh. .and since I was mentioning how long I've been going, I actually just found some old pics that I sent to a friend for a scrapbook on con.

so here are pics of me at Dragon*con in 1997 & 1998  (tho some have sadly passed, or I've lost touch with?  I'm still very good friends with many of these folks)

67784124_704196330029108_7095461907737346048_n.thumb.jpg.6d7731022b7cdd1c2663217c4b9962d2.jpg

68469716_2478486078838260_4361572673868791808_n.thumb.jpg.fe11837c6cf3f20cb3a4b129e34b400f.jpg

LTR:  Marce, Jane, Josh, Me, Roy (R.I.P.), & Travis. . . other than Jane (and Roy of course), I room with these folks and hang with them every year (Marce & Travis are from Canada) - so a 24+ year friendship)

67600370_373503176667077_3975367303352025088_n.thumb.jpg.07d30d21800076944452f6c0c507927a.jpg

I'm my superhero "the helping Hand". . think this one is from ~2003 ?

55628894_10161658872130154_4226399689307586560_n.thumb.jpg.d5b5f99f7180cfeae35fce1a4c297b9c.jpg

Cosplaying Courtney Love (~2004 maybe?) with my friends LtR:  Michelle, Meg, me, and a horrified friend of Meg's

dragonconpic2.thumb.jpg.bbcbff0d3dbe936fbcc700f1c2485daa.jpg

dragonconpic.thumb.jpg.d13cdc480bfc66d21dab0bbb286a4947.jpg

and one from 2002 ( I can tell because Roy is alive still, and I have my arm around my Ex, Chip. . and Nick and I met in Jan 2004).. . still lifelong friends

LtR: Roy (R.I.P.), Neal (Canada), Angus (Canada), Marcella (she and Neal are now married, we went to their wedding in Vancouver), Anjeanne (Roy's wife)(Lousianna), Travis (Canada), Jane (Seattle), Ricky hugging her (Canada), Lisa & her husband Mike in the back (Atlanta), and me with my arm around Chip (who lived in Huntsville at the time).

21016116_1783911014960222_6193688509771751926_o.thumb.jpg.b144d08a57a2896036822019701b14fc.jpg

5 minutes ago, CaptainUnknown said:

Yay cons! Hopefully I'll get to my first this year (if I don't count Renaissance festivals). 

Are you planning any cosplays this year, Bert?

I don't really "cosplay" on my own.. . despite the pics of me dressed as things. . mostly it's just thrown together stuff for a themed party.

tho occasionally I will (such as Courtney Love, or the Justice Bowling League).

this year, Marcella has an idea for a genderflipped group for the Bunny Hutch party - and myself, Travis, and Neal will be her "males" . . can't say much because she'd kill me if someone steals her idea. . but should be fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got my 100 days to the con email too and I'm excited it's going to be an in person event again. It's going to be nice seeing my friends and making new ones. Maybe I'll get around to going to the aquarium and Vortex this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IntaminLove said:

I got my 100 days to the con email too and I'm excited it's going to be an in person event again. It's going to be nice seeing my friends and making new ones. Maybe I'll get around to going to the aquarium and Vortex this year.

the Aquarium is very worth it (but I wouldnt' give up a night of the con to do the "Aquarium night". . we just go the day before con starts, or on Tuesday. . . on Labor Day, I blow off con and go to SFOG, but since they will be open during the week this time (!), will prolly go Wednesday or Thursday during the day.

as to Vortex?  I'll be there at LEAST 3 times during the week I'm in Atlanta (not the 5 points location, but the Peachtree one). .their food is simply that good, and the place that much fun.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bert425 said:

the Aquarium is very worth it (but I wouldnt' give up a night of the con to do the "Aquarium night". . we just go the day before con starts, or on Tuesday. . . on Labor Day, I blow off con and go to SFOG, but since they will be open during the week this time (!), will prolly go Wednesday or Thursday during the day.

as to Vortex?  I'll be there at LEAST 3 times during the week I'm in Atlanta (not the 5 points location, but the Peachtree one). .their food is simply that good, and the place that much fun.

Good to know about the aquarium night. I've never been to SFOG and I hate that I'm always so close every year. My group arrives Wednesday morning so I'll try my best to go. My friends will probably be annoyed that I'm ditching them for coasters, but they will have to deal with it. One of my friends recently lived in Atlanta for 2 years and said Vortex is great. I only hear good things and it wouldn't hurt to eat one artery clogging burger.

just remember. . the one at 5 points is "family friendly" (ie: touristy)

the one on Peachtree (only 5 MARTA stops down from the Peachtree Center stop where the Con is), is way more adult in both decor, and waitstaff interaction.  That's our favorite.
KILLER drinks too.

it just wouldn't be a trip to Atlanta without a stop at Vortex for some amazing food, some good comedy (if a show is going on in the attached comedy club), and a rub on the Phallus shrine for luck :)
completely honest. . the moment our entire "core" group gets checked in across the various hotels?  we head out to Vortex for a meal.

(and thruout con end up going back with friends here and there as they missed the initial meal, and wanna go)

here are pics from a couple of visits from 2019 (the last Dragon*con they had before 2020 went virtual)

IMG_8351a.thumb.JPG.8eb0bac40ae7cc1c56df59de74fa4252.JPG

IMG_8352.thumb.JPG.f94404865312fd32cf3662e813edbc15.JPG

IMG_8357.thumb.JPG.b8b3422c5bdd6d752ddc51ba1cb9eca0.JPG

IMG_8359.thumb.JPG.a29ee760551de498bb0d23103cd91839.JPG

IMG_8361.thumb.JPG.8047580644050a8923e2cc74361c5508.JPG

IMG_8366.thumb.JPG.71bb193fdcc94f9a98b15c0c7feef67c.JPG

IMG_8608.thumb.JPG.ae1800942121be8e4ea1d3e030662be2.JPG

IMG_8600.thumb.JPG.e7f1680d7dc6a98ee9e9ef695c01db9d.JPG

IMG_8604.thumb.JPG.45b3fe9bf79a9a0e5baba085f6fa8350.JPG

IMG_8606.thumb.JPG.637a9442636f319a7553f25bf9bf3d5e.JPG

IMG_8609.thumb.JPG.bd0e06f5f3d1eef63de051987539bd57.JPG

• Like 2