TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

All these accounts about lose articles flying around on LR has me surprised. Has the loading procedure changed on LR since last year? Last year before you were even assigned a row, an attendant would loudly state something like "Lightning Rod WILL take any lose articles you have and EJECT THEM FROM THE TRAIN. If this happens WE WILL NOT GO FIND YOUR PHONE. ALL ARTICLES MUST BE PLACED IN THE BIN! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED."

Then upon loading they would take your articles for you and place them in the bin. The process was a bit extra, but I think it worked. Even if they still did this I can see people being stupid enough to ignore it so they can get a crappy snap chat.

When I was there in July they were giving this same loose article spiel every single train and the attendants would take everything from you to place in a bin. They have lockers out front but they aren't free so not many people use them. However, tons of people don't want to be without their phone for the 60 seconds you'll be on the ride and just put it in their pockets or sit on it. There are also items that fly out accidentally - such as my SO's wallet, which was in a very tightly buttoned back pocket and somehow flew out during the ride. Thankfully it didn't hit anybody and unbelievably the folks at DW found it in the woods 4 days later and mailed it back home for us at no cost. We still don't know how exactly the wallet flew out of the pocket because the space is too small for it to fit thru. The pocket was still buttoned when he got off the ride, and when we sat down to do restraints I specifically asked him if his pocket was secured and he checked it. The forces on Lightning Rod ARE NO FREAKING JOKE and literally launched his wallet right out. Usually he wears zipper pants but they were dirty from the park the day before.

On the train before our lost-wallet ride someone lost their cell phone and not even an hour later someone else got hit in the face with a cell phone. At that point the LR ops were literally making people turn their pockets inside out before allowing them to be assigned rows. Then once on the train they had two different ops go up and down each side of the train stopping at every. single. seat. and asking each individual rider if they had ANYTHING at all on them. People would then pull out all kinds of things from their pockets to hand to the ops. It was intense but absolutely necessary, I think even more so than on El Toro (where I've gotten hit with phones, weaves, hats, and hair clips). Instead of a full wallet, SO now only takes in his ID and one credit card - which I then keep in my small fanny pack because his track record for losing things at various amusement parks and on ski slopes is impressive.

Doesn't look like two trains are helping LR much, it's stacking so bad the second train isn't really helping lines or the ride move any quicker.. maybe it helps during certain parts of the day but as of now it's not doing much on a slow day at the park

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I saw an albino skunk there a few years ago, told the crew about it and they said it was a regular and just to leave it alone and it would be fine lol

Dollywood was getting packed towards the end of the day.. I ended up leaving and heading towards cades cove which ended up being closed..

FYI for those visiting the next few days, the Park Service did end up closing almost all roads in the national park by dark tonight and started evacuating places like Cade's Cove, even the Campground.. so plan accordingly if you are visiting over the next few days when the rain hits!

It's drained or looked drain as far as I could tell and it also had a big fence around it so you can't see in (aside from peaking through the gaps. Which I did.. it was hard to see but drained but no other work had been done yet as far as I could tell).. it had advertisments for Luminights all around the fence.. Almost made me wonder if the maze is going to be located there! I doubt it but other than luminights being posted all around the fence, no other teasers were up

Edited by dstephe9

^^ To me, that second photo...it looks kind of....odd to me. Just...out there.

Does it have anything that might be used to light the head up at night?

Or make it move at all?

They actually have a bunch of them hanging like ghost.. grabbing a pic was just a last minute idea so I didn't get the rest in the pic

But yes, they had a black wire running to them so I'd imagine they have lights in them

I'm a bit of a coaster newbie, and I would like some feedback from more experienced coaster riders. I LOVE Wild Eagle and I was just wondering if anyone knows or can roughly guess how intense the G's are? (based off other rides that feel about the same and actually list their g force measurements)

I understand some people like to call it "Mild Beagle" although personally i feel it's very intense, i'd just like to know my g-force tolerance and eagle feels like it's my highest without passing out, considering everytime i go on it i nearly lose my vision during the first loop and the other elements with higher forces. i've been wanting to go on stuff like the tennessee tornado and etc but the G-forces are listed as 3.7, and i'm afraid of passsing out since i feel like eagle is a bit more tame. what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

I've recently had experiences like this, but I think you would be fine one Tennessee Tornado. It's very short and there's only one moment on the ride where you would slightly lose your vision. Just try it out, the worst that could happen is if the forces make you slightly nauseous, if that's the case and you have the choice to sit at a nearby bench, then the ride isn't for you, but if you do feel the same experience as on Wild Eagle, then you are ready for most of the rest of the park. Take this from a guy who has suffered through Irritable Bowel Syndrome for the past 2 years and has slowly recovered into riding coasters (including intense ones like Lightning Rod and Afterburn).

Edited by SingleRiderCam

I think where you sit on the train affects that a lot, especially on Wild Eagle. The back is much more forceful than the front, and the left and right are different experiences. Even with your experience you mentioned, there is nothing I'd be afraid to ride at Dollywood. Just save Lightning Rod for last

I think where you sit on the train affects that a lot, especially on Wild Eagle. The back is much more forceful than the front, and the left and right are different experiences. Even with your experience you mentioned, there is nothing I'd be afraid to ride at Dollywood. Just save Lightning Rod for last

The last seat on the far right is the best in my opinion.

Save Lightning Rod for any time you can get on it, it's the least reliable Dollywood has.

Fixed That For You.

Honestly, LR is amazing. . . But ride it as soon as you see it up and running. No need to save it for last.

It's been fairly consistent for the past month, so I think it's a fair bet to save it for last.

Save Lightning Rod for any time you can get on it, it's the least reliable Dollywood has.

Fixed That For You.

Honestly, LR is amazing. . . But ride it as soon as you see it up and running. No need to save it for last.

It's been fairly consistent for the past month, so I think it's a fair bet to save it for last.