TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

Just a random thought, but do you think the park would look to get the same style PTCs for 2018 or a different style train?

If the reason the park only runs one train on Boulder Dash is related to stress on the structure, could they possibly try looking at a lighter train?

the fact that they've managed to crash Boulder Dash (probably since running both trains on it is such a foreign concept to them that they literally forgot how to do it)

But you know what? As stupid as it sounds, that's also by far the most likely scenario.

the fact that they've managed to crash Boulder Dash (probably since running both trains on it is such a foreign concept to them that they literally forgot how to do it)

But you know what? As stupid as it sounds, that's also by far the most likely scenario.

They swap the trains every day (which is pretty much the same procedure as adding two) so it must have just been an error.

When the blue train was released it moved up then stopped on the first station brake. The mechanic went back to the panel to probably try to get it in but maybe he opened the wrong set of brakes by accident. Whatever happened it was definitely human error.

Sooo they didn't think stopping the other train on the lift was a better idea then letting it run through the course while trying to transfer on the 2nd train? I mean ik they haven't run 2 trains on BD in like a million years but come on how could you have a brain fart like that lol.

When I read Boulder Dash's description, I thought "nah, no way they did that." and then I look at the pictures and yeah, he's right. That's exactly what they did. That's 100% not the protocol for transferring a train onto the ride. Should be park on lift, E-Stop, then put the ride into manual mode, transfer the train into the station, move the transfer train back, and send the lift train around. I should have a better memory of that than their current maintenance people.

Phobia runs as well as SFDK's Superman so I was pumped when Lake Compounce added it. I really don't mind if this coaster gets cloned a bunch like the free flies.

For what it's worth SFDK Superman has slightly slower acceleration than Phobia. Phobia is more along the lines of Sky Scream at Holiday Park.

For some reason, I really enjoyed Superman at SFDK, yet I've never been excited about these rides being popular clones. It's cool to hear that Phobia is a particularly good version!

Shaking my head about The Accident...hoping for the best and speediest solution.

• 2 weeks later...

^that is what I thought, the back two cars looked to be painted green cars to me. The restraint mechs and some parts are from the blue train though.

Skyride was open for GTA attendees only. I rode BD once and saw Skyride moving. I went to check it out only to find an employee at the trolley station not letting guests through. Incredibly disappointing.

I think it is a combo of that and how long it would take to evacuate if they ever needed to evacuate it. I think there have been quite a few incidents that were kept quiet and they have been thinking of closing it for a while. I understand why they are closing it, but it is such a shame and a waste. Really wish they would open it up to pass holders for an hour or two for last rides.

Based on the timing, I agree the Great Escape incident was the straw that broke the camel's back in the end, but someone falling out wasn't the only issue Lake Compounce was concerned about on the Sky Ride.

Basically it came down to not being able to trust people, which is sad but I can't say I blame the park for that thought process.

Makes sense from a preventing fire standpoint. People are always looking to flout the rules. I rode the skyride this summer and on the ascent, I saw numerous gondolas with people smoking in them. Shame that the actions of the few ruin things for the many.

There are several reasons the Skyride has closed.

1) Poor guest behavior - Guests frequently do not ride in a proper position and often subject themselves to injury.

2) Evacuation - With a ~20min ride cycle, the ride cannot be evacuated quick enough if a fire were to begin coupled with unfavorable wind conditions. The same issue is true for a medical emergency. Not all guests can be easily lowered from the gondolas.

3) Access - The area under the ride is nearly entirely jagged granite. Access to these areas is nearly impossible just for trimming brush, let alone an emergency evacuation.

We're still on this?

All across the world, people board these same types of rides on skis riding on ice and snow with ski poles in hand, then they ride up at much faster speeds and then ski off the ride 3, 4 or 5 across in unison all while the chairs are moving. Generally they're also responsible for lowering and raising the bar themselves. Many ski lifts are also over rocky / extreme terrain and not the runs themselves. You're much less likely to get injured on this than on a standard ski lift and there are thousands of them operating safely across the world and in the United States.

They closed the ride because they think their guests are too stupid to ride it without falling or jumping out of it (as evidenced by the timing of the closure). They may very well be right, but rumors about the ride being closed because of access and evacuation make little sense since they've been issues with this thing from day one and nobody has ever cared before and because thousands of ski resorts operate these things over similar terrain without issue.

^ Yeah because they opened it for VIPs during the GTA event.

Apparently Wildcat is closed again per the message on top of their website. It is on the list for Haunted Graveyard though which is a welcome change.

I heard the GTA VIPs were getting tours of Wildcat on Saturday, so I thought that may have been the reason for the closure. Hopefully it isn't something more than that.

Since the ride barely opened all summer, I'd love to see it finally available during the Graveyard so I can see just how much the work has paid off. Even if it's not glass smooth, the work they did has apparently sped the ride up which should make it enjoyable now.

Right, because they assume those people are smart enough to ride the ride without proactively trying to kill themselves. The fact that they allowed GTA VIPs to ride it just goes to back up my point that this has nothing to do with access or evacuation concerns and everything to do with the fact that they firmly believe (maybe correctly) that their regular guests are idiots.

Right, because they assume those people are smart enough to ride the ride without proactively trying to kill themselves. The fact that they allowed GTA VIPs to ride it just goes to back up my point that this has nothing to do with access or evacuation concerns and everything to do with the fact that they firmly believe (maybe correctly) that their regular guests are idiots.

It does have a lot to do with emergency (and general) access under the ride. It was not unusual to close the ride in extreme heat for fear of a medical emergency, and that only addresses a single preventable issue. With evacuation nearly impossible along the entire hillside, waiting 15-20min for a gondola in distress to return could be the difference between life or death.

Just because it has ran for years with no problems does not mean the threat of such an emergency has not raised concern for park management. They have been lucky to not have had a major incident while this attraction has operated.

And yes, the lowering standard of guest behavior was the final nail for this ride.