TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

People should have to sign waivers while at a park that stating that park is not responsible if someone gets hurt

Alpine Slides like the one at Breckenridge, Colorado do make you sign a waiver that even if it is not your fault that you got injured that you can't sue them and the waivers hold up in court. I didn't want to ride it because of the waiver and I wonder how many other people were also turned off and didn't ride. If you are under 18, your parents would need to sign the waiver too so you would have to be sure everyone that visits your amusement park comes with mom and dad and not grandpa or auntie. There weren't that many people at Breckenridge during the summer and the clipboard area with the waivers was a giant mess so I wonder what a waiver area would look like with 30,000 people entering the park in the first couple hours of the day. My guess is that no large park wants to admit that their rides might not be safe and make people sign a waiver. Attorneys have also been trying to change amusement park rides to common carrier liability for quite some time to make it easier to win cases and that might push the legislative branch to change amusement park rides to common carrier if a big park started asking for waivers. The alpine slides need to do it because someone is probably insured there on a weekly or monthly basis and they would have been sued out of existence. Amusement park rides are generally much safer. Accidents caused by ride malfunction or operator error at large parks are relatively rare.

So nearly every coaster is down for maintenance until the end of the month. I've never noticed before, is this normal prior to Haunt? Oh and Monty and Xcelerator are now TBA. I read a rumor from the Dippin Dots guy that Xcelerator won't be back up until next year. I'm never doubting him again. He said dive coaster and Gerstlauer and he was right so....

Xcelerator & MR are down for unforeseen circumstances...like waiting on parts or something along that nature. The other rides were scheduled well in advance for annual maintenance

No, I get that. But are they usually all down at the same time for maintenance? I thought they worked on one at a time. Close one. Work on it. Reopen it. Move onto the next one. I figure Log Ride is going down for Haunt overlay though.

Xcelerator & MR are down for unforeseen circumstances...like waiting on parts or something along that nature. The other rides were scheduled well in advance for annual maintenance

No, I get that. But are they usually all down at the same time for maintenance? I thought they worked on one at a time. Close one. Work on it. Reopen it. Move onto the next one. I figure Log Ride is going down for Haunt overlay though.

Maintenance is a scheduled thing and I am sure they try to limit that to one coaster at a time if possible. If the ride just flat out breaks down and can't operate outside the maintenance schedule; they sometimes need to wait for parts and it can take a while. One of the times the Xcelerator launch cable broke; it took almost two months to re-open. I guess they ship and truck the items here from Europe for Xcelerator because they are generally too heavy to fly.

Unfortunately, there are two broken right now while the other roller coasters and their trains reach their maximum cycle count and maintenance can't be delayed on them.

I've heard rumors that Xcelerator may get an LSM launch. I'm sure they are getting tired of cable breaks and such. Is there any realistic chance of that ever happening or would that be too expensive a proposition. Would it make more sense to just cut their losses and start over with a new coaster? Personally I hope they don't. I love the hydraulic launch. Xcelerator and Monty are my favorite launches. I've done Yolo coaster and other LSMs and they just don't have the punch to the gut.

I've heard rumors that Xcelerator may get an LSM launch. I'm sure they are getting tired of cable breaks and such. Is there any realistic chance of that ever happening or would that be too expensive a proposition. Would it make more sense to just cut their losses and start over with a new coaster? Personally I hope they don't.

What?

And let's not forget that Xcelerator is an early 2000s Intamin Launcher. I'd be surprised if it wasn't in need of constant maintenance.

Does anyone know what exactly the problem with Xcelerator is? It went down almost two months ago (which was not planned maintenance) and it still says TBD on the Knott's website. If the cable broke, you'd think that they would've had the ride back up by now. The last time I rode it was back in April and it was running great with two train ops. It's just really strange that it has been down so long and there's no news about when it will open back up.

And let's not forget that Xcelerator is an early 2000s Intamin Launcher. I'd be surprised if it wasn't in need of constant maintenance.

Does anyone know what exactly the problem with Xcelerator is? It went down almost two months ago (which was not planned maintenance) and it still says TBD on the Knott's website. If the cable broke, you'd think that they would've had the ride back up by now. The last time I rode it was back in April and it was running great with two train ops. It's just really strange that it has been down so long and there's no news about when it will open back up.

I think the length of downtime is part of what helped fuel the LSM launch rumor. It has to be something major in their mind. Then again this came from Facebook fanboys not the Dippin Dots guy so... grain of salt.

My bet is that they're completely rebuilding the launch system. Keep in mind that the current system is over 15 years old. Maybe Knotts decided that it would be cheaper to just re-build the system with a more reliable and efficient system then the current one? And who knows, maybe we'll also get a re-paint before the coaster opens

Beginning this Friday at Knott's Marketplace, you get one hour of free parking plus two additional hours validated with Chicken Dinner Restaurant and TGI Friday's receipt only. No meal plan receipts. No merchandise store receipts. Under the old system you just need a receipt from any Marketplace location. Passholders could ride some rides then buy a postcard from Virginia's and get a total of three hours free. Not anymore. They are really cracking down on people using that parking lot for anything other than dining.

I really hate doing this, but I feel like I have to ask for advice here: I’m going to Scary Farm for the first time this year, and want to do pretty much everything in one night (excluding rides and Halloween Hootenany). The current plan is to go Thursday, October 19th. Would you recommend Fright+Fast Lane for a Thursday night? We will be at Knott’s during the daytime on Wednesday and Thursday, so we can knock out the rides then. We are already purchasing the Boo-fet, so we would just upgrade to the all-inclusive ticket if needed. Thanks!

I've heard rumors that Xcelerator may get an LSM launch.

Why would you ever want to associate yourself with that rumor.

Personally I hope they don't. I love the hydraulic launch. Xcelerator and Monty are my favorite launches. I've done Yolo coaster and other LSMs and they just don't have the punch to the gut.

Okay cool so wh....

Then again this came from Facebook fanboys

I really hate doing this, but I feel like I have to ask for advice here: I’m going to Scary Farm for the first time this year, and want to do pretty much everything in one night (excluding rides and Halloween Hootenany). The current plan is to go Thursday, October 19th. Would you recommend Fright+Fast Lane for a Thursday night? We will be at Knott’s during the daytime on Wednesday and Thursday, so we can knock out the rides then. We are already purchasing the Boo-fet, so we would just upgrade to the all-inclusive ticket if needed. Thanks!

I've been going to Scary Farm for seven consecutive years and have never needed the Fright/Fast Lane. If you are at the rope when it drops, you should be able to do every single maze and maybe do some twice. You might even have time for a show or two if you're interested! The fact that you're going on a Thursday helps a lot, but it is mid-October so it might still be a bit crowded. Not to the point where you'll need the Fast Lane to do every maze, though.

I would say buy it if it won't break your budget. Some of the newer mazes have limited capacity, so it's worth it if for nothing else to go through Paranormal Inc & Infected more than once. You could theoretically do it all without the Fright Lane, but you would be cutting it close and not likely to have time to repeat anything you enjoyed.

I would say buy it if it won't break your budget. Some of the newer mazes have limited capacity, so it's worth it if for nothing else to go through Paranormal Inc & Infected more than once. You could theoretically do it all without the Fright Lane, but you would be cutting it close and not likely to have time to repeat anything you enjoyed.

Plus, this year the frightlane works for both mazes and rides. No need to buy two types of "front of the line" passes.

Plus, this year the frightlane works for both mazes and rides. No need to buy two types of "front of the line" passes.

Yeah, that’s what I was talking about. I think we will just go for the all-inclusive package to stay safe. Thanks guys!