TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

What does everyone think about the raptor coasters? Do you think Valleyfair will get one? Personally I sure hope not! While they may be fun the fact that there is only one passenger per car really turns me off. Half the fun is riding with friends! Plus the capacity is so low! If they come up with trains that can sit two per car maybe, but I really don't see this being a good fit for Valleyfair at all! Opinions??

I'd be happy to get an RMC Raptor at Valleyfair. Railblazer looks like a nice intense coaster, and a similar ride would fit well in the park's lineup.

Also with Knott's getting HangTime, that makes a Gerstlauer Infinity coaster more of a possibility here. I rode Monster at Adventureland earlier this year and it's a fantastic ride, if we got something similar at VF I'd have no complaints.

The single passenger car gets me excited for the quicker and more tight turns along with some increased smoothness. With 3 trains of 8 cars it has the same capacity as Monster at Adventureland and that seems to do just fine when I have visited. And with that prototype going to SF Fiesta Texas and CGA (both bigger parks) I don't think it would have any capacity issues (outside maybe the first year because it would be 'new hotness' at VF) and fit in just fine. Also have to agree with VF15 about a Gerstlauer Infinity coaster. Monster is a fantastic ride and in my opinion is more fun start to finish than any steel coaster at VF. It doesn't match the thrill of the first drop and camel back of Wild Thing or the launch of Steel Venom but beats them both for all around fun from start to finish. And because of this I would welcome them both over a B&M Invert at VF. But course I would take a B&M invert because I like them too but don't know if it is in VF's price range. But let's face it, after 11 years without a new coaster at VF I am desperate now and will take almost anything but a Boomerang.

Edited by RCjunkie

While I'm sure that Delirious will be a fun, if unoriginal, ride; my biggest complaint is that I'm still not over the loss of the rotoshake at the Mall of America. [attachment=0]126082977_132f0b601f_b.jpg[/attachment]

And then I see what Canada's Wonderland is adding.[attachment=1]cw-capital-lumberjack-ctav2.jpg[/attachment]

Those are completely different rides. Rotoshake spins as it rotates where as the new ride in Canada only flips upside down in a similar manner as a super loop

Nickelodeon Universe killed the theming of Mighty Axe--one of my first inverting flats and now CW is adding an axe themed ride with the same motion as our new attraction. It's nostalgia for the theming more than anything..

I LOVE Super Loops! I will never understand the hate for them. Super fun rides in a tiny layout. What more could you want?

My issue with them is that I rode this exact same attraction at a cheap A$$ traveling weekend carnival 15+ years ago, and they were fine for a carnival attraction just like a fun house or zipper, but they are a tacky addition to parks that have invested millions into long lasting permanent attractions. These are abysmal additions devaluing the park by thinking "anything" is better than nothing.

Nobody wants to ride these things. On my last trip to SFDK they had a Larson Looper, and surprise surprise, it was CLOSED. And NOBODY fretted over it. Nobody cared. Because everyone just looks at it and goes...that's it? Loops may have been cool 15 years ago, but they're a yawner now. And the installations LOOK like a carnival attraction. Who wants to pay admission to ride something that rides and looks like crap?

I would rather they skip on the lame attraction and put that money toward the park in other ways.

Oh my. Why are you so negative? Why not look at the positives of Valleyfair's 2018 addition? They are getting something, it will be the only looping ride in Route 76, it will create a nice ratio of thrill rides to family rides in the Route 76 section, there is going to be improved lighting and shading in Route 76, the general public will LOVE it, it will look nice in Route 76. I can't think of any negatives about this new addition.

The general public will be mostly indifferent about it, I'd think. The comments on Facebook are anything but positive. Personally, I hope Valleyfair gets over this nostalgia kick and adds something of worth soon.

The general public will be mostly indifferent about it, I'd think. The comments on Facebook are anything but positive. Personally, I hope Valleyfair gets over this nostalgia kick and adds something of worth soon.
A handful of people pissing and moaning on Facebook isn't really the proper way to gauge the general public's reaction. People complain about everything on social media.

When a ton of people are in line to ride it(or it's a ghost town), that's when VF will know the general public's reaction.

Dollars to donuts they gobble it up like Roseanne Barr on a loose meat sandwich.

^It seems like a combination of:

--They've been at traveling carnivals for years and especially GP are upset that a carnival ride at every other county and state fair is now at their park instead of a brand, spanking new B&M/RMC/Intamin/etc.

--Six Flags has marketed them as Coasters; which has triggered many an enthusiast without end.

--There is extremely little that people do not complain about.

My issue with them is that I rode this exact same attraction at a cheap A$$ traveling weekend carnival 15+ years ago, and they were fine for a carnival attraction just like a fun house or zipper, but they are a tacky addition to parks that have invested millions into long lasting permanent attractions. These are abysmal additions devaluing the park by thinking "anything" is better than nothing.

Nobody wants to ride these things. On my last trip to SFDK they had a Larson Looper, and surprise surprise, it was CLOSED. And NOBODY fretted over it. Nobody cared. Because everyone just looks at it and goes...that's it? Loops may have been cool 15 years ago, but they're a yawner now. And the installations LOOK like a carnival attraction. Who wants to pay admission to ride something that rides and looks like crap?

I would rather they skip on the lame attraction and put that money toward the park in other ways.

First of all, a Zipper would be a brilliant addition to any park in the world... let's get that out of the way first. A Zipper would easily be the best ride at Valleyfair if they added one. They're the sh*t.

Second of all, the park is full of "carnival rides". Nobody's bitching about the bumper cars, carousel, ferris wheel (that looks way crappier than most carnival ferris wheels), monster, scrambler, himalaya, trabaunt, swings, balloon ride, frog hopper, Linus launcher thing, the rockin' tug, the moon bounce, the wild mouse or any of the other rides in the park that appear at carnivals and fairs across the country. People just get pissed about these because Six Flags marketed them as coasters and it drove them insane for some reason so now any time a park installs one everyone gets all pissy. These are honestly super fun rides and they look awesome with their standard LED lighting packages.

On my last trip to SFDK they had a Larson Looper, and surprise surprise, it was CLOSED. And NOBODY fretted over it. Nobody cared.

What do you expect them to do? Should they stand in the ride plaza and cry? Should they freak out and yell at the nearest employee? Just because people weren't visibly "fretting" doesn't mean that people wouldn't have ridden it and enjoyed it if it were open. Every time I see one of these they have a decent line. People generally seem to like them. If everyone reacted to these the way you seem to think they do, parks wouldn't keep building them.

Officially visiting next Friday and I'm pretty stoked!

Can you please take your positivity elsewhere? People are trying to bitch.

Officially visiting next Friday and I'm pretty stoked!

Can you please take your positivity elsewhere? People are trying to bitch.

OMG I am dying. That is the best Billism yet. That made my day.

Bill it's cool, you'll have enough bitching to cover me after you return from your Great America trip.

Best deal right now is the Valleyfair Cares ticket for $35 through their website, plus they donate $1 to the 30 Days Foundation, which I'm not familiar with but appears to be a poverty relief charity.

Unless you're going to get a 2018 Platinum pass (which gets you 1 visit free this year) that's the best I saw, too. I think I'm going to use that VF Cares for Friday's visit.

Best deal right now is the Valleyfair Cares ticket for $35 through their website, plus they donate $1 to the 30 Days Foundation, which I'm not familiar with but appears to be a poverty relief charity.

Unless you're going to get a 2018 Platinum pass (which gets you 1 visit free this year) that's the best I saw, too. I think I'm going to use that VF Cares for Friday's visit.

I'm lucky to make it up once a year, so a season pass wouldn't be worth it for me.

But, I was there today and had a lot of fun. The crowds were small so I had very short waits on most rides. I was surprised to see people bothering to get Fast Lane passes. The only rides with a wait were my first ride on the Power Tower and first ride on Renegade. The Power Tower had a skeleton crew and they were adding the second train to Renegade. I did end up riding many rides twice.

Renegade is by far my favorite now, it's built for constant speed. I use to really like Excalibur, but this time it was almost too rough. I think the High Roller's structure needs some maintenance. I know some movement and swaying is probably normal, but there seemed to be a lot.

North Star was fun and provides an excellent view. I managed to ride it twice.

It did briefly rain in the later afternoon which caused them to shut down Mad Mouse and water park slides, but nothing else.

When I was on the High Roller I noticed a sign and props for Beserkers, I first thought it was maybe a sign of a new ride, but now that I think about it I believe it's related to Haunt. Everything appeared to be running, nothing down for maintenance. I have a few pictures to post, but I'll probably do that tomorrow when I'm less lazy.

I'm lucky to make it up once a year, so a season pass wouldn't be worth it for me.

But, I was there today and had a lot of fun. The crowds were small so I had very short waits on most rides. I was surprised to see people bothering to get Fast Lane passes. The only rides with a wait were my first ride on the Power Tower and first ride on Renegade. The Power Tower had a skeleton crew and they were adding the second train to Renegade. I did end up riding many rides twice.

Renegade is by far my favorite now, it's built for constant speed. I use to really like Excalibur, but this time it was almost too rough. I think the High Roller's structure needs some maintenance. I know some movement and swaying is probably normal, but there seemed to be a lot.

North Star was fun and provides an excellent view. I managed to ride it twice.

It did briefly rain in the later afternoon which caused them to shut down Mad Mouse and water park slides, but nothing else.

When I was on the High Roller I noticed a sign and props for Beserkers, I first thought it was maybe a sign of a new ride, but now that I think about it I believe it's related to Haunt. Everything appeared to be running, nothing down for maintenance. I have a few pictures to post, but I'll probably do that tomorrow when I'm less lazy.

Awesome thanks for the details! Gets me pumped for tomorrow and the lack of crowds is encouraging.

VF people - does the topspin get you wet/always have water running? I saw it running fountains in a video but it never showed if it hits the gondola.

VF people - does the topspin get you wet/always have water running? I saw it running fountains in a video but it never showed if it hits the gondola.

RidTipe turns the water off on colder days, otherwise it's always running. How wet you get mostly depends on where you're sitting.

Awesome thanks for the details! Gets me pumped for tomorrow and the lack of crowds is encouraging.

Had a friend go Monday and he had the same experience as expected. Low crowds due to the State Fair and school starting next week for most kids. He and the kids got on Wild Thing six times in a row and only had to wait for a train twice. They are forecasting a high of 75 and sunny tomorrow so weather should be good for you too. If you have to have the Mad Mouse credit I would start there due to capacity and then work your way around the park with CS next, High Roller, Renegade, Excalibur, Wild thing and Steel Venom in that order. You will walk the entire park to do this path but should be done sometime between 1-2 pm if you are there at opening and have the rest of the day to re-ride what you want and hit some of the thrilling flat rides if you want.

Wow is it amazing how much the park has changed.

Especially when WT hits the turn around and you can see how empty the area was where Route 76 currently is.

The RipTide was the only ride I went on that had water and I got wet. My shoes and socks remained wet the rest of the day. I was considering Thunder Canyon be decided against it. While on High Roller, they stopped the lift because someone was using a smart phone.

As I promised, photos! Photos from Valleyfair trip

Had a friend go Monday and he had the same experience as expected. Low crowds due to the State Fair and school starting next week for most kids. He and the kids got on Wild Thing six times in a row and only had to wait for a train twice. They are forecasting a high of 75 and sunny tomorrow so weather should be good for you too. If you have to have the Mad Mouse credit I would start there due to capacity and then work your way around the park with CS next, High Roller, Renegade, Excalibur, Wild thing and Steel Venom in that order. You will walk the entire park to do this path but should be done sometime between 1-2 pm if you are there at opening and have the rest of the day to re-ride what you want and hit some of the thrilling flat rides if you want.

Wow is it amazing how much the park has changed.

Especially when WT hits the turn around and you can see how empty the area was where Route 76 currently is.

Thanks! VF is a new park for me so I'll definitely hit up the lower capacity rides first and do the back then front ala Cedar Point style. I may do the waterpark because of the numerous drop/tall slides that are there but it's not going to hit 75* until later in the day so I think I am going to skip so I can get all my rides/re-rides in and stop by MOA on the way into the city.

This is my first 'new' Cedar Fair park in 10+ years! Hard to believe that I haven't been outside of Carowinds, KI, or CP yet.

Also, thanks for the notes on Riptide. I do enjoy the HUSS top spins, and they're a bit nostalgic to me due to Tomb Raider:TR but I'm not going on it if I'm going to get wet!